Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only that, the OPA is suppose to be a second layer of testing. If some individuals fail the OPA, then those who scored a lower amount on the actual exam, will have a chance to pass the OPA in order to be inserted into the list number that those who failed the OPA would of had; hence the reasoning for the slow roll out. After a few months of this then the official list will be created.

@Settlon, I think the OPA is similar to the BOSS test given bus driver candidates.

Just another layer of testing and screening, similar to the drug tests, medical exam and preliminary review of paperwork (employment/criminal history).

So they don't need to get through any particular number of candidates on the OPA screening prior to issuing the official list, but doing this now helps set the stage for hiring the highest ranked candidates - getting them on the payroll and in school car - very soon after the official list issues, maybe within a few days or weeks of that time.

Failing the OPA should have the same unfortunate effect as failing the drug test or health screening or paperwork assessment - that person is out of the running and it's on to the next highest ranking applicant.

12 minutes ago, Rahmel said:

Took the opa for the conductor 6601. Does anyone know a timeframe? I’ve heard 3-5 different timeframes from Mta employees. If someone gets a letter for the next step please post!!!

I heard the same. A supervisor there told my group it could be until April before we hear anything for test results.

3 minutes ago, 123melvin said:

I heard the same. A supervisor there told my group it could be until April before we hear anything for test results.

I heard the same. As late as April and as early as December. This process was stupid . We had to wait 18 months for another part of the exam , which isn’t right smfh!!!!

11 minutes ago, Rahmel said:

I heard the same. As late as April and as early as December. This process was stupid . We had to wait 18 months for another part of the exam , which isn’t right smfh!!!!

Yes. What makes it better. Is that this is the first time they are trying this opa. Which could be subjective because 1000 people would give 1000 answers for the same photos.

1 minute ago, 123melvin said:

Yes. What makes it better. Is that this is the first time they are trying this opa. Which could be subjective because 1000 people would give 1000 answers for the same photos.

There is a pass/fail as a whole no grading they said.  The opa is ok but not when it’s almost 2 years down the line for another part of the exam. They should’ve done this the same year as the actual exam. This just delays the process. 

Just now, Rahmel said:

There is a pass/fail as a whole no grading they said.  The opa is ok but not when it’s almost 2 years down the line for another part of the exam. They should’ve done this the same year as the actual exam. This just delays the process. 

You are right.  The delay was because they had to get through the old list that keeped getting extended for 8 yrs i think.

@123melvin, the old list kept getting extended on the grounds that there was very little hiring from the list for the first few years due to a hiring freeze.

There was a "surprise" one year extension of the old list, I believe at the beginning of this year (2017).

And they also got through the promotional conductor's list as well - they were always going to do that before they went to the new open-competitive list, but I think that only added about 6-8 months to our wait.

Hopefully they'll actually issue the official list for this exam in the next few months.

I went yesterday for pre-employment for station agent and there were people there for the same off of the 2008 conductor test, which I found surprising. Would have thought it was purely promotionals at this point.

Meanwhile I'll twiddle my thumbs waiting for my oral proficiency invite :)

@DrewMania, at least even Transit is acknowledging they'll release the list next year, 2018.

There haven't been any official updates for over a year.

The wait is frustrating, but it will be worthwhile when/if we're actually hired.

I wonder what will be the last class for the old open-competitive list.

On 10/30/2017 at 6:10 PM, Rahmel said:

You didn't read the noe. The test isn't pass fail.