Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

42 minutes ago, Sank said:

A bunch of you guys/gals seem very impatient, keep asking for a list and/or notice for OPA. Stop wondering and just wait or forget you ever applied. Your lives do not depend on this job. What if you never get hired?

Smh really lml 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, TrueBlu said:

I’m curious to know what interview your coworker went on. Is it possible to find out what their list number was and if they were informed about an upcoming class being that they were interviewed from old list. 

She said they took her urine and now she's waiting to get a letter for the medical. Sorry, when she first told me, she just said she had an interview. I'll ask her for her list #. She took the test before ours. She told me there are only 1 or 2 more classes, but that she read that on these forums. I'll ask her for her list number later.

23 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

She said they took her urine and now she's waiting to get a letter for the medical. Sorry, when she first told me, she just said she had an interview. I'll ask her for her list #. She took the test before ours. She told me there are only 1 or 2 more classes, but that she read that on these forums. I'll ask her for her list number later.

Not for nothing the whole process is confusing in my opinion. Unfortunately I have token both exams that is why I am asking about your coworker list # on previous exam. We may be in the same boat. Thanks

1 hour ago, TrueBlu said:

Not for nothing the whole process is confusing in my opinion. Unfortunately I have token both exams that is why I am asking about your coworker list # on previous exam. We may be in the same boat. Thanks

She said she doesn't remember exactly, sorry. Somewhere in the 10,300 range.

41 minutes ago, TrueBlu said:

That’s fine but just to make sure u said said she went in a week or so ago correct...ask her was it her first drug test? 

Yep, that was Tuesday Jan 9th. It was her first time going. She said the next step is the medical, and to wait for a letter that'll take anywhere from 3 days to 3 months to receive.

3 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

Yep, that was Tuesday Jan 9th. It was her first time going. She said the next step is the medical, and to wait for a letter that'll take anywhere from 3 days to 3 months to receive.

The next step might be the medical because I have been tested 2 times and still no medical...thank you for the information 

So I emailed the exams unit about when I'll take my opa because I only got 4 wrong and they sent me this: 

"You will be scheduled with the next group of people to take the OPA."

Would it rude to reply back asking when the next group is going? If not how should I write them without sounding cringy lol

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

So I emailed the exams unit about when I'll take my opa because I only got 4 wrong and they sent me this: 

"You will be scheduled with the next group of people to take the OPA."

Would it rude to reply back asking when the next group is going? If not how should I write them without sounding cringy lol

More than likely they aren't going to give you a precise answer. I took mine back in October and still haven't heard anything so even after you take it you will still have some waiting to do. Just be patient. 

@Sank is completely right everyone needs to be patient. Bumping the thread to ask the same questions over and over along with the speculation and rumors isn't helping anybody. The old list is scheduled to expire exactly 3 weeks from now, we've waited this far and won't kill us to wait a little more for some information. 

@Schecter, I'd hold off on asking for clarification.

I agree with Jchambers, they'll likely just get annoyed and won't give you a meaningful response.

It won't be that long in the scheme of things - maybe a few weeks, maybe 2-3 months, probably not any longer than that.

I'm in roughly the same boat as you are, I missed 4 or 5 on the raw score (can't remember which, I threw away my self-reported answer sheet long ago), I haven't been called for OPA yet either.

I will let the forum know when I do get called for OPA.

It is frustrating. The 8094 forum says there are competing rumors re whether they just filled the last 8094 school car class or if there will be one more class, on Feb. 12th.

Either way we should begin processing soon, in the spring.  Hopefully...

Edited by MTAhopefullMatt

You know mta hiring can take ten year. Look at exam from ten years ago lol. Not everyone will get in. I took many exams just in case pa state trooper next friiday.

Be patient. Mta just slow..Try to take other city test beside  mta

I scored a 91.

They addedt lot of new trains.When conductor get promotee, more vacanies.

I really work for mta though lol 

Bus driver , train operator.

I know.bus operator they hire faster. Peoplr with 70 get in three years

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

6 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

I am waiting for a sweeper exam 😂😂(25 dollars an hr so why not)

Once you work in mta. You can take promotion test right???

You can take promotional exams only for positions that your position promotes into. For example, Bus Operators can promote into Surface Dispatchers but not Track Workers. If you want to switch to a title that your current one does not promote into, you will have to take an open competitive exam and get in that way. 

I would like to have some of your opinions  from people who took the OPA exam. We really need to have a serious discussion about our chances of passing this OPA exam.

Please also note that I am not trying to brag about my accomplishments, just trying to give you an understanding of where my background is help put into perspective how difficult I found this memory section to be.

I'm a native english speaker and also have an accounting degree and also a master degree, I have my CPA license, or certified public accountant certification which is a extremely difficult 4 part exam, and got 2 answers wrong on the first part of the conductor exam.  I don't consider myself to have bad memory either,   but I found the first memory part extremely difficult because they would give you so much information to remember and they would give you stuff to remember to try and trick you up.

To clarify better as an example, they would give you lots of facts and the facts were very close to each other that when it came time to answer the question you could usually narrow it down to 2 answers very easily but those two answers were so close you really had to take a guess. 

I found myself having to take an educated guess many times after narrowing it down to two questions.

To give an example of a hypothetical memory question that is made to try and trick you up, say I placed a book on the 7th row of a shelf, and this shelf in the 6th aisle of the 8th floor. There would be lots of other information in this question also you had to remember, not just these facts so there is no way you could continue thinking about these numbers in your short term memory.

Then you were asked a question a few minutes later asking "What row of the shelf did you place the book on the shelf". A) 8th B) 7th C)2nd D) 3rd shelf.

Now you kind probably easily remember that the book was placed high up on the shelf, so you can eliminate the 2nd and 3rd shelf easily.  However, you then narrow it down to two answers, was this the 7th or the 8th shelf. You remember hearing the word 8th, but you really can't remember was it the 7th shelf or the 8th shelf, or was it that the 7th aisle :wacko:. You then have no choice but to take a guess because who the heck is going to remember exactly the location when so many other numbers were so close to trick you up and you had so many other facts and numbers to remember.

This is exactly why this test was so difficult, they really tricked you up and forced you to remember things that were extremely close.

That all being said I had to guess at many questions and am seriously worried that I failed this test, especially if they grade it with a 75 average.

What I would like to discuss from some of you is, do you think they are going to fail a lot of people? Personally I would be shocked if they graded this on a 75 Pass average as I would think so many people would fail including myself. 

Is it possible that they may not fail a lot of people and the only people who will fail will be non-english speakers who really couldn't remember anything well because of the language barrier and couldn't even narrow down the answers to 2 questions? This is what I'm hoping for. I found the first part of the exam was so language intensive that it seemed it was meant to weed out the non native speakers of English. 

I simply can not believe my memory can be so bad with all my accomplishments, unless of course being in your late 30's makes your memory crap compared to early 20's.

This makes me believe that they will have to score this on some kind of curve and not outright fail more than 50% of the candidates. Could you imagine if most of us failed here? Wouldn't there be lawsuits like with the FDNY for discrimination? We really should consider a lawsuit if most of us fail this OPA exam as I think it is outrageous what they expected you to remember.

The other topic I would like to discuss is how some people have posted on this thread that the OPA memory exam was easy. Personally, I usually have found at the university that the people who said an exam was easy did poorly on it. The reason for this is because they did not even realize they were getting tricked up big time. I just can't see how anyone could have that good of a memory unless they practiced memory tricks to learn how to remember things.  I would like to hear from some of you how people have said in this thread that the memory test was easy. Are these people just fooling themselves or is my memory just bad and I have to accept that fact?

Please, I don't want any fighting about what I wrote here, it always seems like anything I write leads to flaming. I really want a serious discussion about the difficulty of this OPA exam as I found it ridiculously difficult. Based on my test scores, my academic qualifications, having been able to pass the CPA exam which is considered very difficult exam, how I could find this OPA exam so difficult and am pretty sure I failed it. I also don't consider myself to have bad memory considering I always seem to remember things better than most people I know.

Please share your experience with this memory test, did anyone else find it extremely difficult and are also worried they could have failed? 

Edited by Dred