Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2018 at 12:00 AM, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@N1CKR, thanks for the link.

That was a great article - for those who haven't read it, it discusses operational mistakes made by train operators and suggests it was a mistake for Transit to allow people to start as train operators (open/competitive).  Not directly applicable to conductors, though.

Sure is directly applicable to conductors when they start throwing conductors under the bus for opening on the wrong side as well. That article was not 100% T/O screw ups.

@Schecter, mistakes happen on any job.  But, yes, some conductors open the doors on the wrong side - it's a matter of not paying attention, lack of situational awareness.  And probably the biggest mistake you can make as a conductor.

Train operators have a lot more responsibility, which is why their training period is much longer and their pay rate is much higher.

@hmc12989, I don't like to see anyone lose their job or be threatened with losing their job. But safe door operation is central to what conductors do. 

1 hour ago, hmc12989 said:

Sure is directly applicable to conductors when they start throwing conductors under the bus for opening on the wrong side as well. That article was not 100% T/O screw ups.

Well I guess if they want to speed through training , you're going to have problems like this. And somebody is going to be held accountable , it's not the conductor's fault. 

I think conductors job is very broad, its not just being on the train, they do other things too. I believe train operators work the yards besides being on the revenue trains.  Train operators is not an easy job. They are stopping these big massive trains, imagine what they go through ? 

1 hour ago, Moody said:

I think conductors job is very broad, its not just being on the train, they do other things too. I believe train operators work the yards besides being on the revenue trains.  Train operators is not an easy job. They are stopping these big massive trains, imagine what they go through ? 

Yeah I honestly agree that train operators have a bigger as well as a greater responsibility when it comes to operating a train. It's not easy to stop a train especially if you're new.

2 hours ago, Mrobin1 said:

Hi All !

I just received my letter with my position on the list. I am 1275. Is it safe to say I will not be called in the next 2 years ?? 

Probably I'm in the 1400s we're pretty low on the list imagine the list numbers for people in the 70s... I feel bad for them

22 hours ago, Moody said:

As usual, both titles have more responsibilities than the general public knows - which generally think they're the reason the train is late, this guy just pushes buttons, how hard can that be? Operating a train doesn't even begin to cover a T/O's job description.

As for that article, which pointed out the horrendous retention rate of open competitive T/O's - I truly understand why so many people don't make it and why they want to make it a promotion only title. I took the last O/C test for T/O and honestly, I would be absolutely terrified of failing out and not having a job if I came in off the street. Hopefully I'll have a few years of tenure by the time that call comes between S/A and Conductor;)

School car for them is 9 months - a hell of a lot longer than conductor, and the detail of stuff you have to learn is insane, and it's difficult for people who have worked there in various titles for upwards of 7 years - so people off the street are definitely at a disadvantage for sure.

Edited by hmc12989

@hmc12989, I agree that T/O should be promotional only.

Coming in off the street is a tremendous opportunity for those who make it, but the failure rate for people in those classes is shockingly high.

It's a combination of learning a whole new language and mechanical systems/signals in a very short time and the pressure of being threatened with termination every day of your training. You will make mistakes, and when you make those mistakes you could be fired from Transit if you come in off the street - it doesn't mean you will be terminated, but the threat is there, and that makes the whole experience that much more unpleasant and stressful, and leads to more mistakes due to being so nervous because you're worried about being fired.

Edited by MTAhopefullMatt
to be more clear

On 2/20/2018 at 10:17 AM, Moody said:

So if your number is 10,000  I would consider it like 6,500. Even if you are number 900, consider it 500.  This is just a number.

So a score like 95xx would be the equivalent of what? And how long could someone expect to wait if they're in that range?

On 2/28/2018 at 9:03 AM, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@Schecter, mistakes happen on any job.  But, yes, some conductors open the doors on the wrong side - it's a matter of not paying attention, lack of situational awareness.  And probably the biggest mistake you can make as a conductor.

Train operators have a lot more responsibility, which is why their training period is much longer and their pay rate is much higher.

@hmc12989, I don't like to see anyone lose their job or be threatened with losing their job. But safe door operation is central to what conductors do. 

From what i saw they get paid $2-$2.50 more per hour that's not a huge difference. 

@Nyctransitorhotels, you're correct, to a point.  At top pay, per the rate card available from TWU Local 100, the hourly pay differential between conductors and train operators isn't enormous. It's maybe $2 and change.  The big difference is starting wages, which are about $10 apart per hour. So the difference narrows tremendously by the time you reach full pay, which I think is your 5th year (please correct me if I'm wrong, it may be your 6th anniversary of employment).

The difference in starting wages is what led me not to take the conductor exam the prior time it was offered, when I should have focused on final wages. It was a mistake, and also my perspective has changed over the years.

In my view train operators have so many additional responsibilities and their training is so much more difficult (and longer) that I'd be happy giving them the additional $2.50 per hour as a fair trade. I'd most likely stay as conductor and learn to live on the $8-12k less per year I'd make than a train operator in return for having less stress and responsibilities. To each their own. Some love the idea of being a motorman, the physical operation and control of the train, or making every last dollar. I want to make enough to get by and minimize on the job stress. I think there will be enough opportunities to make money through night/weekend differentials and picking up OT that comes my way.

1 hour ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@Nyctransitorhotels, you're correct, to a point.  At top pay, per the rate card available from TWU Local 100, the hourly pay differential between conductors and train operators isn't enormous. It's maybe $2 and change.  The big difference is starting wages, which are about $10 apart per hour. So the difference narrows tremendously by the time you reach full pay, which I think is your 5th year (please correct me if I'm wrong, it may be your 6th anniversary of employment).

The difference in starting wages is what led me not to take the conductor exam the prior time it was offered, when I should have focused on final wages. It was a mistake, and also my perspective has changed over the years.

In my view train operators have so many additional responsibilities and their training is so much more difficult (and longer) that I'd be happy giving them the additional $2.50 per hour as a fair trade. I'd most likely stay as conductor and learn to live on the $8-12k less per year I'd make than a train operator in return for having less stress and responsibilities. To each their own. Some love the idea of being a motorman, the physical operation and control of the train, or making every last dollar. I want to make enough to get by and minimize on the job stress. I think there will be enough opportunities to make money through night/weekend differentials and picking up OT that comes my way.

Being a T/O for the MTA is a great career, except for the first few years that you're on the job. When you're fresh out of schoolcar as a rookie, you have virtually no say in the work assignments you're given. Your life will be chaotic to say the least, as you'll be at the mercy of the crew office. This means no set schedule or line you operate. If you happen to choose a career in B Division (lettered lines only) you will have to report to any terminal or yard in the system on any given day you're on the clock, which is exceptional compared to the number of places you're game for in A Division (numbered lines only). If that's not enough, you have to worry about "12–9s," which is transit code for man under, e.g., when you strike a passenger that jumps in front of your train everyday you come to work. Being a C/R is a better alternative, as your days will be less stressful and you'll be making close to the same amount as T/O's once you're in for the long haul.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

@Schecter, good question. I was under the impression that conductors now start at roughly $22 per hour with pay going up roughly $2 per hour every year until you reach top pay (in 5 or 6 years from the day you start school car).  I know the rate referenced in the original Notice of Examination for 6601 isn't accurate because it reflected the entry level rate paid under the old contract, and the entry level rate has definitely increased substantially.

If anyone has better info please advise as to the current starting rate and the annual incremental increases until you reach top pay.

There are also night and weekend differentials, daily OT for hours worked beyond 8 hours, and extra pay if you do other work like flagging.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, SevenEleven said:

Pay scale for C/R is as follows:

1st year 70% of top rate ($22.14)
2nd year 75% of top rate (23.72)
3rd year 80% of top rate (25.30)
4th year 85% of top rate (26.88)
5th year 90% of top rate (28.47)
6th year 100% of top rate (31.63)

Are you certain?? I was told 7 years? 

Do you know difference in night differential, when it starts and ends?? 

Weekend pay? Holiday pay? Thanks for any info you provide. It's appreciated.