Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

46 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Are you certain?? I was told 7 years? 

Do you know difference in night differential, when it starts and ends?? 

Weekend pay? Holiday pay? Thanks for any info you provide. It's appreciated. 

Top pay is after completion of 5 calendar years. For example, I started on 9/6/2016 @ 22.70. (70% of 32.42, End of Year 0, Day 1-365)

9/6/17 (End of Year 1, Day 366-730) : 24.32 (75%)

9/6/18: (EOY 2, Day 731-1096): 25.94 (80%)

9/6/19: (EOY 3, Day 1097-1460: 27.56 (85%)

9/6/20: (EOY 4, Day 1461-1825): 29.18 (90%)

9/6/21: (EOY 5, Day 2190-2555): 32.42 (100%)

In September, I will make $25.94 and have 2 years in. This is also using the old pay scale.

I'm not sure how night diff works for conductors. For bus ops, you get the night diff rate for any time worked M-F 6pm-559am (next day). From Fri 6pm til Sunday (Monday AM), 559am, it is paid all day.

For holidays, you get paid straight time. You can elect to give up your AVA accural of the holiday to be paid an extra 8 hours. (Straight)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newbies are often sacrificed when new labor contracts are drafted.  I believe 7 years to top pay has been LIRR policy and part of their labor contracts for a few years. Of course unionized workers there make more, but then again there are far more positions in similar trades at NYC Transit.

If it takes me 7 years to top pay instead of 5 years I'd still happily take the job.

17 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Top pay is after completion of 5 calendar years. For example, I started on 9/6/2016 @ 22.70. (70% of 32.42, End of Year 0, Day 1-365)

9/6/17 (End of Year 1, Day 366-730) : 24.32 (75%)

9/6/18: (EOY 2, Day 731-1096): 25.94 (80%)

9/6/19: (EOY 3, Day 1097-1460: 27.56 (85%)

9/6/20: (EOY 4, Day 1461-1825): 29.18 (90%)

9/6/21: (EOY 5, Day 2190-2555): 32.42 (100%)

In September, I will make $25.94 and have 2 years in. This is also using the old pay scale.

I'm not sure how night diff works for conductors. For bus ops, you get the night diff rate for any time worked M-F 6pm-559am (next day). From Fri 6pm til Sunday (Monday AM), 559am, it is paid all day.

For holidays, you get paid straight time. You can elect to give up your AVA accural of the holiday to be paid an extra 8 hours. (Straight)

You simply cannot beat this information OR find this information ANYWHERE ELSE folks! Extremely well written and explained. Thanks @SevenEleven

1 hour ago, 161 New York said:

You simply cannot beat this information OR find this information ANYWHERE ELSE folks! Extremely well written and explained. Thanks @SevenEleven

Yes . As per others though it appears to be incorrect. Max pay is either 6 or 7 years. 

Also curious how much extra is night differential and weekend differential?? 

Is it the same amount? 

Here is a link to the 2012-2017 contract, the one where it became 5 years to top pay:

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/finalmemorandumofunderstanding_0.pdf

If you count your first year (0-5), then yeah it's 6 years, hende why I said 5 full calendar years. When you start your 6th year, you will be at top pay. 

The last contract passed in 2017 had nothing to do with changing wage progression. 

Also the railroads are their own separate entity and they do not fall under NYC Transit and their contract. (And vice versa)

@Nyctransitorhotels I will ask and do some research about night diff, if it's any different. But like I mentioned in my other post, you get paid the same for working on the weekends. 

8 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Here is a link to the 2012-2017 contract, the one where it became 5 years to top pay:

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/finalmemorandumofunderstanding_0.pdf

If you count your first year (0-5), then yeah it's 6 years, hende why I said 5 full calendar years. When you start your 6th year, you will be at top pay. 

The last contract passed in 2017 had nothing to do with changing wage progression. 

Also the railroads are their own separate entity and they do not fall under NYC Transit and their contract. (And vice versa)

@Nyctransitorhotels I will ask and do some research about night diff, if it's any different. But like I mentioned in my other post, you get paid the same for working on the weekends. 

Thanks @SevenEleven appreciate the info

Hey guys looking for advice I just received my scores(96.7 list #12**) and took the OPA way back, but as we speak im in the pre employment process for Exam#4105 (MaBstoa) if I continue with the pre employment process for exam# 4105 what will happen down the line if I get a call to do a pre employment process for exam #6601? I always thought with MTA “ONCE YOU IN YOU IN” but doing more research MTA got so many different factions I’m starting to believe that’s not true...so with that being said should I just decline the #4105 offer and wait to see if I get a call to start the #6601 pre employment process or continue with the #4105 pre employment process and wait to see if I get a call for the #6601 pre employment process? Again I prefer to work as conductor but I’m going off the notion of “ONCE YOU WITH MTA YOU IN”

Edited by +Young+
Identity purposes...

On 3/7/2018 at 10:11 PM, Mr Marta said:

Hey guys looking for advice I just received my scores(96.7 list #12**) and took the OPA way back, but as we speak im in the pre employment process for Exam#4105 (MaBstoa) if I continue with the pre employment process for exam# 4105 what will happen down the line if I get a call to do a pre employment process for exam #6601? I always thought with MTA “ONCE YOU IN YOU IN” but doing more research MTA got so many different factions I’m starting to believe that’s not true...so with that being said should I just decline the #4105 offer and wait to see if I get a call to start the #6601 pre employment process or continue with the #4105 pre employment process and wait to see if I get a call for the #6601 pre employment process? Again I prefer to work as conductor but I’m going off the notion of “ONCE YOU WITH MTA YOU IN”

If you have a New York State Driver's License that has been valid for at least 3 years and either a Class B CDL Permit or a Class B CDL with a passenger endorsement with no air brake restrictions, I would accept the opportunity to begin the pre-employment process offered by MaBSTOA to become a Bus Operator. While your list number for Conductor isn't terribly high, it may still take awhile from now to even be invited for the pre-employment process for Conductor, if you're contacted that is. 

Edited by +Young+
Identity purposes...

18 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

If you have a New York State Driver's License that has been valid for at least 3 years and either a Class B CDL Permit or a Class B CDL with a passenger endorsement with no air brake restrictions, I would accept the opportunity to begin the pre-employment process offered by MaBSTOA to become a Bus Operator. While your list number for Conductor isn't terribly high, it may still take awhile from now to even be invited for the pre-employment process for Conductor, if you're contacted that is. 

I appreciate your input I’m definitely taking that advice...but do you know how would that scenario play out? Me going through the #4105 pre employment process start working then get the #6601 pre employment invite...some folks say I automatically forfeit my invite by doing that some folks say would I have to resign...I really hope the resign option is accurate 

11 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

I appreciate your input I’m definitely taking that advice...but do you know how would that scenario play out? Me going through the #4105 pre employment process start working then get the #6601 pre employment invite...some folks say I automatically forfeit my invite by doing that some folks say would I have to resign...I really hope the resign option is accurate 

Since MaBSTOA and NYCT are two separate agencies you will not be able to return to the job title of Bus Operator if you accept the job title of Conductor. So, yes, you would have to resign from the Bus Operator position to accept the Conductor position. Depending on how long you would have been on the job working for MaBSTOA, you will forfeit all the seniority you've gained if you accept the offer from NYCT later on down the road. This means you'll be making less per hour and will start from square one, remaining on probationary status for an entire year.

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Since MaBSTOA and NYCT are two separate agencies you will not be able to return to the job title of Bus Operator if you accept the job title of Conductor. So, yes, you would have to resign from the Bus Operator position to accept the Conductor position. Depending on how long you would have been on the job working for MaBSTOA, you will forfeit all the seniority you've gained if you accept the offer from NYCT later on down the road. This means you'll be making less per hour and will start from square one, remaining on probationary status for an entire year.

This is not always true. I know a bus operator who came from OA to TA, stayed for like two months and went back to OA, with no loss of seniority. 

1 minute ago, SevenEleven said:

This is not always true. I know a bus operator who came from OA to TA, stayed for like two months and went back to OA, with no loss of seniority. 

I'm strictly referring to individuals who haven't completed their probationary period and are contemplating switching into another job title. In such event, you will forfeit your seniority and cannot return to your original job title.

5 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I'm strictly referring to individuals who haven't completed their probationary period and are contemplating switching into another job title. In such event, you will forfeit your seniority and cannot return to your original job title.

Gotcha. That's my fault, was reading too fast. 

On 3/12/2018 at 2:43 PM, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@jmksi, great questions. 

I'm curious as well. 

I'll be relieved when they start processing people who passed the oral proficiency assessment (OPA). 

I know there were rumors of a hiring freeze for conductors.

Clearly Transit is hiring for other titles.

I'm at 56** so itll be awhile before I get called even for the OPA

Edited by +Young+
Identity purposes...