Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

19 hours ago, thatdudenixk17 said:

Wow that’s crazy, I had the same mind set, I honestly wanted to start out as a conductor (childhood dream job) before going to T/O but the best thing is just getting your foot in the door. And having to get 100 every time might be pressurizing but as long you pay attention in school car, and study it shouldn’t be too hard.

It was just my experience for LIRR locomotive engineer trainee that probably has me all worried for T/O. I went to their open house a few years ago and they gave you study material. We had 3 weeks to memorize the material for the exam. Signals test consists of 127 signals and definitions is 80 words that you have to remember verbatim. With T/O I believe we would have more than 3 weeks to study for the signals test. All this and that only gets you into phase 1 of the trainee program. The trainer did not sugar coat anything and told us how it is. He stated in this class of 30, half would return for the exam and probably only 3 would pass. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/15/2018 at 3:34 PM, apokeguy said:

Which one are you thinking of pursuing more? I'm in the the same boat. I already completed my conductor OPA 2 weeks ago and also just finished "day 1" of the process for temporary T/O yesterday. I was thinking of focusing more on conductor and pass probationary period before pursuing T/O in case I don't pass and wash out I have something to fall back on. Aside from obvious pay rate and time that you will have already earned as T/O why start off as T/O? Getting that 100 on the signals test has me a little worried cause you're out if you don't get that 100. I've always done well at tests in school and also civil service tests but never excelled at them. 

Good problem to have. Do you have to forfeit your conductor spot on the list if you take the T/O? If not, might as well go for it.

7 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Good problem to have. Do you have to forfeit your conductor spot on the list if you take the T/O? If not, might as well go for it.

No, you can always put yourself on hold for the conductor list and reinstate yourself later if need be

14 hours ago, apokeguy said:

It was just my experience for LIRR locomotive engineer trainee that probably has me all worried for T/O. I went to their open house a few years ago and they gave you study material. We had 3 weeks to memorize the material for the exam. Signals test consists of 127 signals and definitions is 80 words that you have to remember verbatim. With T/O I believe we would have more than 3 weeks to study for the signals test. All this and that only gets you into phase 1 of the trainee program. The trainer did not sugar coat anything and told us how it is. He stated in this class of 30, half would return for the exam and probably only 3 would pass. 

127 signal😱damn that’s a lot, MTA T/O don’t have to worried about that much. I got to a train operator in training  who was going back to being a bus driver, he said he just didn’t study and would rather stick to what he knew already.

56 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

If that's the case, he should definitely take the temporary T/O right?

I think just the opposite. My list number is higher for T/O and they are currently short handed so the demand will be greater.  I’m not saying conductor training is easy but I think my chances of getting in are better with conductor than T/O. I do well with tests but my memory isn’t what it used to be now that I’m in my 40’s.  

In this scenario, my opinion is to go get hired as a conductor first. That list is already established so the clock starts ticking towards your 1 year of permanent status from day 1. After that first year has passed, you'll be able to move around to other titles and still have the C/R position to fall back to, while retaining your seniority. You'll have around a year to return to being a C/R if you don't make it through as a T/O. (Which unfortunately training for T/O is 9-10 months, so you'll won't have much time on your own to feel out the job) Also, this way you can get a head start on how the system works compared to someone coming in fresh off the street.

If you go in as T/O first and make it through training, the 1 year clock doesn't start until the list gets established. So, if before this year is up and you decide that being a C/R is better, than you will completely give up your T/O position. And in the worse case scenario, you don't make it as a C/R, then you lost both positions.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:57 PM, Schecter said:

This is what actually speeds up the process when people defer and when people fail the drug test and the medical and everything in between it gets the people with higher list numbers to be called sooner

What are some of he factors that causes someone to fail medical?

On 4/6/2018 at 12:29 AM, Schecter said:

Its where people could apply for buildings throughout NYC. You go on housing connect and there's different buildings from luxury buildings to regular buildings. I basically process people's applications to see if they get approved or not

Those things are impossible to get. Do you have any advice on how to successfully "win a housing lottery"?

4 hours ago, Sank said:

What’s top pay for conductor ? Top pay for station agent is 31.28. Wondering if I should transfer. 

Top pay for Conductor is $31.635.  

As far as transfering, that is a decision based on what kind of responsibility and stress you are willing to handle.

One deals with Transit's money and property, while the other deals with passenger safety.

They are both important to the overall function of the system and everyone has a unique experience with either job.

1 hour ago, Sally08 said:

My pre employment is for the 24th and my list number is in the 1300s 

Your list number is in 1300 and you got a pre employment letter? That’s odd I call 180 Livingston Thursday they said they up  too “352”...my list number is in the 1200 and still haven’t receive a letter,I’m assuming they have not finish calling people from the first conductor exam 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

Your list number is in 1300 and you got a pre employment letter? That’s odd I call 180 Livingston Thursday they said they up  too “352”...my list number is in the 1200 and still haven’t receive a letter,I’m assuming they have not finish calling people from the first conductor exam 🤷🏻‍♂️

You may want to contact them on Monday ant let them know what's going on. Did they say 352 as in the last person called up for medical? 

2 hours ago, Mr Marta said:

Yes my number is in the 1300s for exam 6601... you may want to contact someone because I got my letter today 🤷🏾‍♀️

3 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

You may want to contact them on Monday ant let them know what's going on. Did they say 352 as in the last person called up for medical? 

That’s a good point....but I didn’t ask that I just ask them what list number they were up too 

Does anyone have the correct salary steps for reach the top pay rate. Also, What how much PAId OT is available during your first or second year of service. I am trying to determine what the average 1st or 2nd year conductor grosses per year with OT. Anyone who is a conductor now or know anyone who is that can answer this?