Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

EAST NEW YORK TRAN YARD ITS NEAR THE BROADWA JUNCTION TRAIN STATION (J,C,A,L) 

8 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

EAST NEW YORK TRAN YARD ITS NEAR THE BROADWA JUNCTION TRAIN STATION (J,C,A,L) 

Thank you

Just now, Sixgvd94 said:

Does anybody know the list number That they are up to in regards to being called for medical 

Yes I wanna know that as well. Does anyone know? Anyone getting called and what’s your list number?

Anyone know if you can use your vacation days within your 1 year probation period? Even if it's only 3-4 days off. How exactly does that work? I have a super important weekend coming up January 2019 that I really can't miss (assuming I get employed soon (God willing)).

33 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

Anyone know if you can use your vacation days within your 1 year probation period? Even if it's only 3-4 days off. How exactly does that work? I have a super important weekend coming up January 2019 that I really can't miss (assuming I get employed soon (God willing)).

Yes, you can use your days as you get them. 

Just now, SevenEleven said:

Yes, you can use your days as you get them. 

Can you explain how that works? Cause I’m over here like you can’t use any or get any days off during that 1 year probation lol

1 minute ago, Bmpo7 said:

I thought they called 2,000 to hire 500.

Nah I don’t think that’s true I mean they are already pass 530 hired and I saw more going  through the final processing phase Today, I just left 180 LIVINGSTON STREET doing my PE for the 4105 Exam (Bus Operator) and this is what I was told by the HR’s when I ask for Information on the 6601 exam.....

14 minutes ago, Mr Marta said:

Nah I don’t think that’s true I mean they are already pass 530 hired and I saw more going  through the final processing phase Today, I just left 180 LIVINGSTON STREET doing my PE for the 4105 Exam (Bus Operator) and this is what I was told by the HR’s when I ask for Information on the 6601 exam.....

Yeah but not everyone from 1-530 got hired (assumption).

17 minutes ago, Dgopes said:

So 1500 people got turned away? Where u guys/ladies getting the info from? 

City-data. 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Civil-Service-List-Certification/a9md-ynri/data

If you search up 06601, then scroll to the right, you will see it says "No. Request" 2000, and "No. Vacancies" 500. 

1,500 don't get turned away. I'm just pretty sure they call a lot more people than they are ready to hire at the moment, because a lot of people either fail drug test, get placed on medical hold, turn down the job, moved, etc. Also, I'm sure more and more vacancies open up every month (either people quit, get fired, die, get promoted, whatever the case may be), so they continue to call from the 2,000 they originally called for preemployment (hence why it could take up to 90 days, a position isn't always available right away). Take this all with a grain of salt, it's just what I've heard around these forums, don't want to spread false information. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

Edited by Bmpo7

17 hours ago, Riku said:

Can you explain how that works? Cause I’m over here like you can’t use any or get any days off during that 1 year probation lol

You will accrue different type of days in your "Leave Balance" bank that you can take days off with. Aside from vacation days, you will also accrue:

-AVAs/Holidays (after 90 days of service)

-Personal Day (after 1 full year of service, available the following January 1st)

-Overtime Offset (Known as OTO, if you get overtime, you can elect to bank the straight time into this bank. 8 hours become 1 day. Quick example, you work a day off, that's 12 hours all together. (8 hrs straight, 4 hrs OT) you can bank the minimum 2 hours or bank the whole 8 hours of straight time.)

Once you have your days, you will then request them via the IVR system. (See spoiler at bottom of post)

17 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Thank you so much for your help! Do you know if this is requested with your direct supervisor (who can be an a-hole), or with HR? 

You will get 1 vacation day for each month of work you complete, that will be usable in January. If you have 5 or more days, you should be able to pick a week vacation. Whether or not you'll be able to get that particular week boils down to seniority and available slots for that week.

If you can't get the week (or you have less than 5 vacation days), then you will have to request the days off in the automated system. You will learn about the IVR. 20 days from the date that you want to take off, you call in and request the date and type of day you want to use. (Because by then, you will be able to save holidays (AVAs) to use as a type of day off)

Also talk to your union reps about needing this time off. They may be able to help you moreso, if you already have tickets purchased, etc.

REQUESTING A DAY OFF

Now that you know how to save time off, here's how to take time off.

-Call the IVR system no earlier than 20 days in advance of the day you want to request off. Enter your pass and PIN (PIN is last 4 of your social if you've never called the IVR before).

-Press 1 for Crew Assignments

-Press 3 for "Request a Day Off"

-Your leave balances will play. In order to request a day off, you will need a full day in either your AVA, PLD, Vacation Day balance, or 8 hours of OTO (unless you are requesting your birthday as "birthday" which doesn't require you to have any balances). Enter the date you want off in MM/DD/YY format. You cannot request days off more than 20 days in advance. If you try, the system will deny you. Follow the prompts. You will receive a confirmation number. Write it down.

-DO NOT HANG UP YET. You will be asked "if you'd like to hear your confirmation number again, press 1. If not, press 2." PRESS 2!!! If you hang up the phone without pressing 2, your request will not go in.

-You will hear "Your Request has been submitted". Make sure you hear this. If you don't, start over and do the whole thing again. Once you hear "Your Request has been submitted" and the main menu starts to play, it is safe to hang up the phone.

-Within a few days, check the crew assignment sheets. At the front section is a list of "employee day off requests". If you see your name next to the date you've requested, you got the day off in advance. Take a picture of the sheets, and enjoy your day off when it comes in a few weeks. If you don't see your name, your request is PENDING. Wait until the crew assignment sheets come out with the jobs for the date you requested. If your job is covered, you got the day off. If you're extra, and don't see your name, call the crew office to make sure you got the day, since you won't see anything in the sheets to tell you you're off. Taking this added step will avoid you being AWOL if the crew office simply forgot to assign you a job.

1 minute ago, SevenEleven said:

You will get 1 vacation day for each month of work you complete, that will be usable in January. If you have 5 or more days, you should be able to pick a week vacation. Whether or not you'll be able to get that particular week boils down to seniority and available slots for that week.

If you can't get the week (or you have less than 5 vacation days), then you will have to request the days off in the automated system. You will learn about the IVR. 20 days from the date that you want to take off, you call in and request the date and type of day you want to use. (Because by then, you will be able to save holidays (AVAs) to use as a type of day off)

Also talk to your union reps about needing this time off. They may be able to help you moreso, if you already have tickets purchased, etc.

Reveal hidden contents

REQUESTING A DAY OFF

Now that you know how to save time off, here's how to take time off.

-Call the IVR system no earlier than 20 days in advance of the day you want to request off. Enter your pass and PIN (PIN is last 4 of your social if you've never called the IVR before).

-Press 1 for Crew Assignments

-Press 3 for "Request a Day Off"

-Your leave balances will play. In order to request a day off, you will need a full day in either your AVA, PLD, Vacation Day balance, or 8 hours of OTO (unless you are requesting your birthday as "birthday" which doesn't require you to have any balances). Enter the date you want off in MM/DD/YY format. You cannot request days off more than 20 days in advance. If you try, the system will deny you. Follow the prompts. You will receive a confirmation number. Write it down.

-DO NOT HANG UP YET. You will be asked "if you'd like to hear your confirmation number again, press 1. If not, press 2." PRESS 2!!! If you hang up the phone without pressing 2, your request will not go in.

-You will hear "Your Request has been submitted". Make sure you hear this. If you don't, start over and do the whole thing again. Once you hear "Your Request has been submitted" and the main menu starts to play, it is safe to hang up the phone.

-Within a few days, check the crew assignment sheets. At the front section is a list of "employee day off requests". If you see your name next to the date you've requested, you got the day off in advance. Take a picture of the sheets, and enjoy your day off when it comes in a few weeks. If you don't see your name, your request is PENDING. Wait until the crew assignment sheets come out with the jobs for the date you requested. If your job is covered, you got the day off. If you're extra, and don't see your name, call the crew office to make sure you got the day, since you won't see anything in the sheets to tell you you're off. Taking this added step will avoid you being AWOL if the crew office simply forgot to assign you a job.

Thank you so much. You are very helpful.

18 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

18 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

That’s a good point totally forgot to take that into consideration 

47 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

City-data. 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Civil-Service-List-Certification/a9md-ynri/data

If you search up 06601, then scroll to the right, you will see it says "No. Request" 2000, and "No. Vacancies" 500. 

1,500 don't get turned away. I'm just pretty sure they call a lot more people than they are ready to hire at the moment, because a lot of people either fail drug test, get placed on medical hold, turn down the job, moved, etc. Also, I'm sure more and more vacancies open up every month (either people quit, get fired, die, get promoted, whatever the case may be), so they continue to call from the 2,000 they originally called for preemployment (hence why it could take up to 90 days, a position isn't always available right away). Take this all with a grain of salt, it's just what I've heard around these forums, don't want to spread false information. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

I’m trying to stay positive like you man, I’m stressing over getting called back