Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

I took the exam at FDR HS, Brooklyn, as well. I took it on Saturday 4/23 in the morning. They moved us from the auditorium to the classrooms at about 8:50, but we didn't start until about 9:50.

That sucks about being turned away - sometimes Transit is just unforgiving.

Yea, and I know they are not gonna reschedule me so I guess I'm out of this one. Hopefully i get called for 3600 but the way that's going it's gonna take forever.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't the filing for train operators supposed to begin in June?

Just checked the mta website & it got cancelled.. Sucks...

They actually cancelled it a while ago....from what I heard, they're expecting another large turnout, and they can't find a school in which they can administer the exam too...

Wasn't the filing for train operators supposed to begin in June?

Just checked the mta website & it got cancelled.. Sucks...

Its not cancelled it has been postpone. Idk why but they really need to get it together. I have been waiting for that exam. Edited by EgyptianEyez

They actually cancelled it a while ago....from what I heard, they're expecting another large turnout, and they can't find a school in which they can administer the exam too...

They can always space it out for a few weekends like they are doing with the conductors exam.

At $60 plus dollars multiplied by tens of thousands that will take the exam, the mta can make a quick buck..

I suspect that they're considering moving Train Operator back to exclusively promotional. Otherwise they could have gone ahead with the open-competitive exam and made a fortune on the filing fees. Since the entry level pay is 50% higher than for conductors they could have probably gotten at least 50% more test takers than filed for conductor open-competitive.

I suspect that they're considering moving Train Operator back to exclusively promotional. Otherwise they could have gone ahead with the open-competitive exam and made a fortune on the filing fees. Since the entry level pay is 50% higher than for conductors they could have probably gotten at least 50% more test takers than filed for conductor open-competitive.

Sorry about the double post.

Sorry!  I had no intention of being a backseat moderator!  I truly didn't mean to act that way.  I was just trying to be helpful.

Technically, you were not. Don't worry about it.

Edited by Cait Sith

Let's keep in mind exam 8094 has been extended until February 2017. Once 8094 is done they will move to the MTA promotional conductor exam first. With the promotional exam every person who took and passed it will get called. Even the ones with only 70%. Meaning our wait could be longer then we think. It will all depends on how long the promotional list is. 8094 shouldn't have been extended again. It was extended once or twice already. They should've just went straight to the promotional exam. I pray I'm wrong but we might be waiting over 2years before they start calling us.

This is getting depressing. I gotta stop reading these posts  :P

@DoubleEll, it's addictive to read these posts but fundamentally it's beyond our control.

Who knows how many people took the promotional exam, for example?

Or if Transit will hire at the same rate in the next few years?

We just have to keep going on with our lives and see what happens.

@DoubleEll, it's addictive to read these posts but fundamentally it's beyond our control.

Who knows how many people took the promotional exam, for example?

Or if Transit will hire at the same rate in the next few years?

We just have to keep going on with our lives and see what happens.

Couldn't have been said better. I find that it's just easy to put it in the back of your mind and, when you least expect you'll have a letter in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am scheduled to take the conductor test this week and have a couple of quick questions.

Is there anything I should study for or brush up before taking the test?

Thank you

Edited by Dred

Hello everyone,

I am scheduled to take the conductor test this week and have a couple of quick questions.

Is there anything I should study for or brush up before taking the test?

Thank you

I honestly don't think so....from what I remember, the examination was mostly common-sense...

Hi, I have my test this Sunday at 9:00AM at James Madison High School.

Does anyone know if I will be able to find free parking at that time? I have no problem walking a couple of miles if I have to. Or should I not chance it and take public transportation.

Thanks. 

Yes there is parking around there as long as you show up extra early. I parked right in front of the school but I also got there 2 hours early and beat the proctors. Cause they also drive and find parking.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if I will be able to find free parking at that time? I have no problem walking a couple of miles if I have to. Or should I not chance it and take public transportation.

Thanks. 

I always take public transportation to be on the safe side....but that's just me...

I always take public transportation to be on the safe side....but that's just me...

That would be the smart move. However, it is so easy to drive over from Staten Island if there is parking around the school. It looks to be highly residential around the school so I assume I can find parking someplace.

Mapping with google taking public transportation would have me taking 1 hour and 43 minutes each way. So almost 4 hours for a 13 mile car ride if I took public transportation. 

Hopefully traffic is light at 7:30 when I would drive over Sunday morning. 

Thanks. 

Trust me you can drive there and find parking easily, I live a 15 minute drive away. It's  Brooklyn not Manhattan. I don't see it taking more than 15 minutes to find a parking at most.

Hey, i took the test, very surprised, the test was alright, a lot of reading comprehension  but  there was no oral speaking test,  Tomorrow will the last day of the mta test, good luck to the people taking it  tomorrow. I see people finished in 30 minutes. 

Trust me you can drive there and find parking easily, I live a 15 minute drive away. It's  Brooklyn not Manhattan. I don't see it taking more than 15 minutes to find a parking at most.

Go there an hour early to find a spot, you may be able to park in the school parking lot. I took mine in ps 248, there was 50 people waiting on line already. at 8.

hi guys

new to the forum also taking the conductor test tommorow will i need a calculator for this test and anyone that took the test are there any map related questions so i should study that a little bit thanks.

I Just got finished taking the conductor 6601 exam. I went into it thinking it would be easy based on what almost all of you have said here about the exam. I found it to be actually quite challenging. I easily took the whole 3 hours, and could have easily used another 2 or 3 hours to check over my answers. I am at a loss on why I found it difficult while most of you found it easy. 

While there were some easy questions, there were also many challenging questions. Now do not get me wrong here, all the information was on there to answer the question correctly, you just had to really use your head, which I didn't expect on this exam. 

I found a large amount of the questions tricky, you had to be extremely careful with many of them. If English was not your first language then there is no way you are going to do well on this test. 

What I think is that many of you underestimated the questions, many of them were designed to slip you up if you were not careful. While they may have seemed easy to find an answer, you may have been tricked into choosing the wrong one. 

I panicked with time at certain points, and had to skip whole questions for later because my head was hurting and couldn't do the thinking required to do them. This to me is just crazy on an exam for a conductor. Because so many of you said it was easy, I was taking my time in the beginning when I should have been rushing through the easy ones to spend more time on the harder ones. 

To make everything even more surprising, I went back and checked some I marked before I ran out of time. I actually caught a mistake on one and couldn't believe I got tricked, I almost never change answers with my final review.

This was really a difficult test. I can not see how so many of you found it easy. 

What I have found from experience is that tests I have found difficult, I normally always have scored much higher than the people who said they were easy, and many times scored the highest grade in the class on those exams.

Your first thought is going to be, I'm probably just stupid and that would be totally OK. Please let me tell you my qualifications.

English first language

University degree in accounting with a 3.9 GPA in major.

Masters degree in taxation with a high GPA around 3.7, I actually forgot what it is.

I am a CPA, (certified public accountant), so yes I passed that very difficult exam, ask anyone who has taken it, harder than the exam to become a lawyer. 

For other city tests I have taken, I only took the last two FDNY city tests, scored 100 on them and scored a very low list number, easily got called for both of them. The 1st FDNY test I took I found that to be extremely easy, the 2nd most recent one was much harder. 

I consider myself a very good test taker, very careful and have scored the highest grade on many exams in my classes at the university.

I am an extremely careful test taker, I have lots of work experience in taxes where being careful is a priority.  

That being said I am sure I scored close to 100% on this test, but to say it was easy is totally an understatement. 

Please, is there anyone here who will admit that the test was also quite challenging? I honestly feel so stupid right now that I am the only one who found it challanging. 

Edited by Dred

I Just got finished taking the conductor 6601 exam. I went into it thinking it would be easy based on what almost all of you have said here about the exam. I found it to be actually quite challenging. I easily took the whole 3 hours, and could have easily used another 2 or 3 hours to check over my answers. I am at a loss on why I found it difficult while most of you found it easy.

While there were some easy questions, there were also many challenging questions. Now do not get me wrong here, all the information was on there to answer the question correctly, you just had to really use your head, which I didn't expect on this exam.

I found a large amount of the questions tricky, you had to be extremely careful with many of them. If English was not your first language then there is no way you are going to do well on this test.

What I think is that many of you underestimated the questions, many of them were designed to slip you up if you were not careful. While they may have seemed easy to find an answer, you may have been tricked into choosing the wrong one.

I panicked with time at certain points, and had to skip whole questions for later because my head was hurting and couldn't do the thinking required to do them. This to me is just crazy on an exam for a conductor. Because so many of you said it was easy, I was taking my time in the beginning when I should have been rushing through the easy ones to spend more time on the harder ones.

To make everything even more surprising, I went back and checked some I marked before I ran out of time. I actually caught a mistake on one and couldn't believe I got tricked, I almost never change answers with my final review.

This was really a difficult test. I can not see how so many of you found it easy.

What I have found from experience is that tests I have found difficult, I normally always have scored much higher than the people who said they were easy, and many times scored the highest grade in the class on those exams.

Your first thought is going to be, I'm probably just stupid and that would be totally OK. Please let me tell you my qualifications.

English first language

University degree in accounting with a 3.9 GPA in major.

Masters degree in taxation with a high GPA around 3.7, I actually forgot what it is.

I am a CPA, (certified public accountant), so yes I passed that very difficult exam, ask anyone who has taken it, harder than the exam to become a lawyer.

For other city tests I have taken, I only took the last two FDNY city tests, scored 100 on them and scored a very low list number, easily got called for both of them. The 1st FDNY test I took I found that to be extremely easy, the 2nd most recent one was much harder.

I consider myself a very good test taker, very careful and have scored the highest grade on many exams in my classes at the university.

I am an extremely careful test taker, I have lots of work experience in taxes where being careful is a priority.

That being said I am sure I scored close to 100% on this test, but to say it was easy is totally an understatement.

Please, is there anyone here who will admit that the test was also quite challenging? I honestly feel so stupid right now that I am the only one who found it challanging.

Wow. I believe you're definitely over-reacting and over-thinking. There's really no need to mention your "qualifications" or boast about your degrees, gpa, certifications, etc...haha. For this test, all you had to do was read simple instructions and analyze the texts provided (especially, the trick questions with more than one correct answer.) Graduating Harvard, a 4.0 gpa and walking on the Moon is pretty irrelevant here, buddy.

Trying to let you know that this wasn't an easy test and I have the qualifications to back up my opinion.

Trust me, I'm not here bragging or I would be saying it was an easy test and still give my qualifications. :P

You need to get every answer right in order to be called from the list on these exams. Too many people here are saying it was easy and underestimating it. Yes, maybe everyone pass, but that means nothing. Getting 100% means everything. 

I wish more of you said it was harder so I would have used my time more effectively.  

I still can't believe how difficult they made it considering a university education is not even needed. 

Yes I over react and over think things, that is exactly why I do well on these tests and have the qualifications I have. Did you read them, please do so again. You need to over think and over react to take these tests seriously to score well enough to get called. 

The question with 2 answers wasn't even a tricky one, it was obvious they had to have made a mistake on that one. Didn't waste time on that one, but I did look closely for a trick which I didn't see any. 

Edited by Dred

Well I didn't finish college, I have a pretty crappy job that doesn't require much thinking.......lol :D  j/k anyway I also found the test to be quite challenging. I looked at the test as if EVERY question was a trick question. Alot of people were saying the same thing about the Sanitation test being easy and those same people had list numbers like 999,999. Yea there were definitely some questions a 10yr old could get correct but for the most part, you needed to pay attention to what was being asked. 

I honestly felt the exam was honestly easy though,though i will admit that out 80 questions there were there,only 8 of them were the hardest as it normally didn't require the person to read a passage,but put an answer that they felt mta would find acceptable. I was going to put a question here from the exam,but i'm not certain if i'm allowed to until tomorrow since today there is still technically people taking the test,is it okay post them after everyone took the test?