Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Anybody here drive to the learning center (P.S. 248)?

Some people drive there. Be advised though, if you get into a traffic accident on your way there or your car breaks down or something they aren't going to accept that as a valid excuse and you will have to write a G2. After two latenesses that's it, terminated. If you can take the train there you should do that instead, so long as that train was scheduled to get you there on time and a delay happens you'll be covered.

Congratulations and welcome aboard just remember to avoid being late I can't stress it enough, especially at the days when you're at 248 since there's alot of Tss's and Superintendents there who will come visit.

7 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Some people drive there. Be advised though, if you get into a traffic accident on your way there or your car breaks down or something they aren't going to accept that as a valid excuse and you will have to write a G2. After two latenesses that's it, terminated. If you can take the train there you should do that instead, so long as that train was scheduled to get you there on time and a delay happens you'll be covered.

Congratulations and welcome aboard just remember to avoid being late I can't stress it enough, especially at the days when you're at 248 since there's alot of Tss's and Superintendents there who will come visit.

Thank you so much! Definitely will do.

9 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Just to add on to that, take the operating motor (Front car) number and Conductor's car number. That way, they can see you didn't try to hide anything if the train was delayed.

50 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

Just to add on to that, take the operating motor (Front car) number and Conductor's car number. That way, they can see you didn't try to hide anything if the train was delayed.

Good idea. Thank you Angel.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:27 PM, Janelleeac said:

Hey guys any updates on where they are on the list or is the class for august filled already ? 

I'm not sure if it's fill. But I did medical on August 1 and to  be honest it wasn't that many people there. Only a few of us for the conductor position. 

11 minutes ago, Lovelyz said:

I'm not sure if it's fill. But I did medical on August 1 and to  be honest it wasn't that many people there. Only a few of us for the conductor position. 

Pretty sure its filled cus the class starts monday. Wonder if they are going to do a september class . Btw congrats on medical hope it went well & ur in the class on monday . 

18 minutes ago, adorkasherri said:

I was notified on a Tuesday, to come in for a medical on that Thursday, for a class that started the next Monday. Some people were notified even later than that for the same class, so never know.

Oh but whats your list number range ? So i know maybe i should keep looking .  Im 81x

14 hours ago, Janelleeac said:

Pretty sure its filled cus the class starts monday. Wonder if they are going to do a september class . Btw congrats on medical hope it went well & ur in the class on monday . 

14 hours ago, Janelleeac said:

Thank you. And I'm am. As for a September class I wouldn't be able to tell you since I didn't asks.  But best of luck to you as well.

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Scored 100 on my midterm passed  my Yard Practical and recieved my posting papers. Hard to believe that my school car journey is almost over, it felt like yesterday when I was getting sworn in sheesh.

Congrats good luck on the rest im ready to just get in and hit the ground running 

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Scored 100 on my midterm passed  my Yard Practical and recieved my posting papers. Hard to believe that my school car journey is almost over, it felt like yesterday when I was getting sworn in sheesh.

How you liking it so far?

22 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

How you liking it so far?

It's alot different than what I expected, especially after getting talked to by the union ane the way they made supervision to be out as our literal enemies. So far I only had a problem with one TSS and even then he turned out not to be so bad since he was the one who ended up giving me my practical and he gave my class some good tips on how to be sucessful on the practical/down here for the rest of your career. I'll call him mr M. Since one of my TSS's went on vacation for a week we've had multiple TSS's come in and teach along with our other regular instructor and each person  teaches different. One day I made a stupid mistake trouble shooting an improper zone because I wasn't paying attention and the substitute TSS mr G tore into my ass lol. I'm glad he did because it made me stronger in that area and helped me pass my practical, and one of my classmates ended up failing their practical because they weren't paying attention to their MDC.

Mr G, other TSS's and even dispatchers when we went on tours to places like RCC were adament about me moving up the latter and taking every promotion available due to me starting at such a young age. I guess I can say that I like and am surprised at how much some people care about you and want you to succeed. 

Everything isn't ginger peachy though. As you can probably tell by the username I wanted the B div but I didn't have a choice since there's apparently a massive shortage in the A div. It's annoying traveling close to if not more than 2 hours each way to make it to my reporting location on time and going home, and I live close to the Livonia avenue/Eastern parkway lines already. Also dealing with the public isn't easy,  but even if they're in the wrong you can lose your job if you slip up.

There's alot of rules/bullentins that must be followed and ignorance is not an excuse. Overall I'm happy, I'm just trying to enjoy these last 3 weekends I have off since I won't see them again for years haha.

23 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

Congrats good luck on the rest im ready to just get in and hit the ground running 

Thank you! It's worth the wait time will fly once you come on down. Goodluck to you as well.

3 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

It's alot different than what I expected, especially after getting talked to by the union ane the way they made supervision to be out as our literal enemies. So far I only had a problem with one TSS and even then he turned out not to be so bad since he was the one who ended up giving me my practical and he gave my class some good tips on how to be sucessful on the practical/down here for the rest of your career. I'll call him mr M. Since one of my TSS's went on vacation for a week we've had multiple TSS's come in and teach along with our other regular instructor and each person  teaches different. One day I made a stupid mistake trouble shooting an improper zone because I wasn't paying attention and the substitute TSS mr G tore into my ass lol. I'm glad he did because it made me stronger in that area and helped me pass my practical, and one of my classmates ended up failing their practical because they weren't paying attention to their MDC.

Mr G, other TSS's and even dispatchers when we went on tours to places like RCC were adament about me moving up the latter and taking every promotion available due to me starting at such a young age. I guess I can say that I like and am surprised at how much some people care about you and want you to succeed. 

Everything isn't ginger peachy though. As you can probably tell by the username I wanted the B div but I didn't have a choice since there's apparently a massive shortage in the A div. It's annoying traveling close to if not more than 2 hours each way to make it to my reporting location on time and going home, and I live close to the Livonia avenue/Eastern parkway lines already. Also dealing with the public isn't easy,  but even if they're in the wrong you can lose your job if you slip up.

There's alot of rules/bullentins that must be followed and ignorance is not an excuse. Overall I'm happy, I'm just trying to enjoy these last 3 weekends I have off since I won't see them again for years haha.

Thank you! It's worth the wait time will fly once you come on down. Goodluck to you as well.

Thanks! Good to know!

Edited by Bmpo7

Today was a bit frustrating. I wish trainers would actually take students because they actually want to teach/help them, not just for the extra 2 hours of OT. Thie guy I had today basically only watched me for my first 3-4 stops and once he saw that I knew what I was doing he let me operate two trips for the most part without saying anything and didn't even pay attention to me he just looked at thr other side od the cab,  or if he did it was basically criticizing me for doing what's taught in school car like the sweep, or "taking too long" during my platform observation. Smh.

I hope to have more trainers like the guy I posted with on the 6 yesterday he was awesome. We pingponged stops and he kept talking throughout the 3 trips we did giving me pointers.

If you don't want to teach then don't take students, don't act like you're on a mini vaca and let me work your job.