Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Hey everyone, I've been reading though all 100+ pages of this thread and I have a couple statements/questions..

1. My eyes hurt lol

2. I took the Oral Proficiency Assessment thing back in early May but I haven't heard anything since. Is it safe to say that It's time to explore other options?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, STAYMATIC said:

Hey everyone, I've been reading though all 100+ pages of this thread and I have a couple statements/questions..

1. My eyes hurt lol

2. I took the Oral Proficiency Assessment thing back in early May but I haven't heard anything since. Is it safe to say that It's time to explore other options?

What is your list number? 

@STAYMATIC, was your score 96?  or 95?

I'm 95. but far down the list, just past 5000.

@dman1455, thanks for the info.  Any idea why the hiring pace seems a bit slow? I thought they were sending far more people through school car a year or so ago, when the old open/competitive list was winding down.

1 hour ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@STAYMATIC, was your score 96?  or 95?

I'm 95. but far down the list, just past 5000.

@dman1455, thanks for the info.  Any idea why the hiring pace seems a bit slow? I thought they were sending far more people through school car a year or so ago, when the old open/competitive list was winding down.

I honestly don't know, they've held classes every month since the list got established. It just goes by the hiring needs of the agency at this point.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, STAYMATIC said:

@MTAhopefullMatt I scored a 95. It appears that a lot of people scored the same. Someone told me that key factor is when the person signed up for the test. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

@dman1455 thanks a lot, I'll keep hope alive for 2021. lol

Actually the way they go about tie breakers is by using the persons last 5 digits of their social. So the lower your social the better list number you’ll get

On 9/30/2018 at 7:15 PM, Sixgvd94 said:

For anybody here that is seasoned in the MTA, any advice on how to get through the first year 

I'm not seasoned, just finished schoolcar. But here are some tips given to me:

1-) On time is late. Be at work at least 20 minutes before your report time. Avoid long drives (if you must drive at all). If you're in the city, stick to public transportation, this way if you're late because of delays, you are covered. If you are from out the city and commuting is hard, drive to the closest Metro North, LIRR, or subway terminal. Again, avoid being in a car too much.

2-) Communication. Constant communication between you, the dispatchers, RCC, and your partner. Always communicate (ALWAYS). You will always be covered as long as you communicate. 

3-) Know your rules and bulletins. You have A LOT of free time on a lot of days, don't just sit around at the crew rooms doing nothing. Constantly read bulletins and review the rules.

4-) Operate AS PER SCHOOLCAR. You will have 100 people telling you 100 different ways to do things (even road TSS). Ignore them all. Operate as per schoolcar, and make sure to always carry around bulletins that pertain to your job duties to cover your ass if someone tries to give you any issues.

5-) Get your 7-8 hours of sleep daily.

6-) Know any General Orders and supplements that pertain to your line/tour (I personally do this at home).

If I can think of anything else I will come back and post it. Any questions you might have, feel free to ask.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:40 AM, Bmpo7 said:

1-) On time is late. Be at work at least 20 minutes before your report time. Avoid long drives (if you must drive at all). If you're in the city, stick to public transportation, this way if you're late because of delays, you are covered. If you are from out the city and commuting is hard, drive to the closest Metro North, LIRR, or subway terminal. Again, avoid being in a car too much.

2-) Communication. Constant communication between you, the dispatchers, RCC, and your partner. Always communicate (ALWAYS). You will always be covered as long as you communicate. 

3-) Know your rules and bulletins. You have A LOT of free time on a lot of days, don't just sit around at the crew rooms doing nothing. Constantly read bulletins and review the rules.

4-) Operate AS PER SCHOOLCAR. You will have 100 people telling you 100 different ways to do things (even road TSS). Ignore them all. Operate as per schoolcar, and make sure to always carry around bulletins that pertain to your job duties to cover your ass if someone tries to give you any issues.

6-) Know any General Orders and supplements that pertain to your line/tour (I personally do this at home).

If I can think of anything else I will come back and post it. Any questions you might have, feel free to ask.

Your last statement is also a point/tip. Always ask questions, especially when you're unsure about something. It's always better to ask what you may feel is a stupid question and get clarification than to wing it make a mistake and have a TSS waiting for you at the next stop and a Superintendent on the phone waiting to speak to you at the dispatchers office. 

To the hopefuls waiting just remain patient, there's been calls over the radio for conductors to work their RDOs in the A division. They need people. Understand what you're getting into too this job can be very demanding and dealing with the public isn't easy, especially when you're an introverted person like me.

I see why people say take all the tests and move up asap, i can't wait to go up front.

On 10/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, Sixgvd94 said:

What is your list number? 

On 10/1/2018 at 2:38 PM, STAYMATIC said:

36**

Between NYC Open Data & The Chief, anybody can view these civil service lists, including this one. Therefore, in an effort to hide your identity, please refrain from disclosing the last digit or two of your list number.

Example: Since there are about 31,850 names on the list, my (fictional) list number for this exam is 33,805. If someone asks me what my list number is, I could say the following:

a) My list number is in the 33,800's, which is in between 33,800 & 33,899.

b) My list number is 33,8**.

c) My list number is in the high 33,000's, which is in between 33,500 & 33,999.

Got it? (In the event any of you are wondering, my real list number is in the 4,700's, which is in between 4,700 and 4,799.)

Thank you for your cooperation...

Edited by +Young+

On 10/4/2018 at 6:40 AM, Bmpo7 said:

Two more to add.

1. Dont try to cover up anything. It will just stack your problems.

2. Document everything on a daily basis. Especially the train you take into service (car number). It can come in handy weeks to months later. You wont understand reading this but as you go posting, you'll understand. Keep for your own records. If TA gave it to you, they can take it back. Including the small book they give you to write in. 

Hey guys list number 20** I just called the DCAS number and the information as of October 7 is the last eligible certified number was list number 3153 last appointed 898 now my question is it now says I am not on an outstanding certification and to my knowledge that means that I am eligible to be hired when my name and list number is reached should I be looking for a pre-employment letter in the mail since the last eligible certified number is 1,100 spots past mine? Or should i have got it by now?  I am just concerned if they did not send PE or it was lost in the mail.

17 minutes ago, Sfredo said:

Hey guys list number 20** I just called the DCAS number and the information as of October 7 is the last eligible certified number was list number 3153 last appointed 898 now my question is it now says I am not on an outstanding certification and to my knowledge that means that I am eligible to be hired when my name and list number is reached should I be looking for a pre-employment letter in the mail since the last eligible certified number is 1,100 spots past mine? Or should i have got it by now?  I am just concerned if they did not send PE or it was lost in the mail.

You're not going to get a letter for a little while, you don't have to worry about that right now. They're going to hit around the 2,000 mark before they send it out to you.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:03 PM, Koqns24 said:

Two more to add.

1. Dont try to cover up anything. It will just stack your problems.

2. Document everything on a daily basis. Especially the train you take into service (car number). It can come in handy weeks to months later. You wont understand reading this but as you go posting, you'll understand. Keep for your own records. If TA gave it to you, they can take it back. Including the small book they give you to write in. 

For number 2, I take cellphone pictures of everything in that book. I also have a second one 😕

On 10/9/2018 at 3:53 PM, kellgh said:

For number 2, I take cellphone pictures of everything in that book. I also have a second one 😕

Great idea. I use a daily planner instead of the book and I want to keep it secured so I also have a tiny book I keep in my pocket to jot things down quickly while in service. 

44 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

Current rumor on the street is no classes till February, last class only had around 24 people so it makes sense. Now we wait.

44 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

Current rumor on the street is no classes till February, last class only had around 24 people so it makes sense. Now we wait.

Where you heeard this?

Well, if they're only bringing on a class or two at a time than it almost seems like a waste of resources - just very inefficient.  Not that that's a key concern for Transit, but still - it would make sense to take a break from hiring and then start again with much bigger classes - make full use of the space and facilities and TSS assigned to school car. Hopefully when they do hire again classes are at least 75-80 people.  I do recall that towards the end of the last open competitive list they were putting something like 80-90 conductors through school car with classes twice a month.

6 hours ago, dman1455 said:

That's exactly all it is, a rumor. Just like they said before the last class was August. People will always make rumors up (for whatever reason). There was only 24 people because there was a limited amount of schoolcar TSS. There were still classes going on from August for both CR and TO going on when the September classes started (and they are hiring A LOT of T/O so schoolcar TSS are busy with that). There is no official hiring freeze, and classes are opened up and handled on a month-by-month basis. 

7 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

That's exactly all it is, a rumor. Just like they said before the last class was August. People will always make rumors up (for whatever reason). There was only 24 people because there was a limited amount of schoolcar TSS. There were still classes going on from August for both CR and TO going on when the September classes started (and they are hiring A LOT of T/O so schoolcar TSS are busy with that). There is no official hiring freeze, and classes are opened up and handled on a month-by-month basis. 

Thus sayeth the lord cuz yall bout run my blood pressure cuz im literally this close if the last number called is actually 898