Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, adorkasherri said:

Don't know. Probably the entire life of the exam. How long is it good for? 4 years?

That's the thing, the previous exam 8094 was extended for 8 years over the usual 4. I'm just concerned if they could get around to reaching that far down the list in 4 years. 

Hi all, I am a High School senior in the Bronx and being a C/R has been one of my life long dreams. I would like to know what are the recent requirements to be eligible to take the exam. On my collage application i have signed up for almost all of the Community Collages here in the City and applied to be majoring in Tourism, Travel, and Hospitality, is 2 years of collage good enough for the exam and even the actual job? and is want i am gonna major in also enough? I know you need a High School diploma or GED, and also if there is a exam sometime in the next 2 years will i be eligible to take it even though i am still in Collage?  I am so sorry if this question has been asked before but any other information will be gladly appreciated. 

Edited by NYCSubwayFanatic16

10 hours ago, NYCSubwayFanatic16 said:

Hi all, I am a High School senior in the Bronx and being a C/R has been one of my life long dreams. I would like to know what are the recent requirements to be eligible to take the exam. On my collage application i have signed up for almost all of the Community Collages here in the City and applied to be majoring in Tourism, Travel, and Hospitality, is 2 years of collage good enough for the exam and even the actual job? and is want i am gonna major in also enough? I know you need a High School diploma or GED, and also if there is a exam sometime in the next 2 years will i be eligible to take it even though i am still in Collage?  I am so sorry if this question has been asked before but any other information will be gladly appreciated. 

All you need is your highschool dimploma, keep yourself updated on when exams come out, even if it isnt c/r there is always ways to move up in the agency. I started taking exams at 18 and im 24 & a conductor. Be proactive in your search. When tests come out they have a notice and it has all the requirements... if you qualify then apply. Goodluck 

On 11/16/2018 at 10:25 PM, NYCSubwayFanatic16 said:

The exam should open up again after 2020. Be on the lookout for it. Also stay up-to-date in these forums. Also be on the lookout for other exams.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:25 PM, NYCSubwayFanatic16 said:

I took the exam when i was 18 and still in HS. I'm 20 now and I'm a conductor now. When the exam comes out, just check that they haven't changed the requirements and file for the exam.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, Sixgvd94 said:

If you got another pre employment letter its because the last drug test you took expired and you have to do another for it to be valid for when you’re called to do medical/training

Mines expired like two months ago when they get close to my list number is that when they send for a second one?

On 11/7/2018 at 12:37 AM, Bmpo7 said:

It's after 5 years. I have to ask: why you leaving your job? Hotel seems pretty secured no?

Mta pension is the only thing that has me intrigued. Pension for hotel job is $1,200 per mo after 20yrs contributing. That's weak. I can probably make more at the hotel. Also medical is free. Union dues about $100 per month. 

Ambience is better than being in a subway all day. It's gonna be a hard decision. Mta job as long as you don't do dumb ish is pretty secure. 

18 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Mta pension is the only thing that has me intrigued. Pension for hotel job is $1,200 per mo after 20yrs contributing. That's weak. I can probably make more at the hotel. Also medical is free. Union dues about $100 per month. 

Ambience is better than being in a subway all day. It's gonna be a hard decision. Mta job as long as you don't do dumb ish is pretty secure. 

Yeah also consider quality of life. Quality of life sucks here at transit (just an opinion).

I am currently in the Dept. of Buses. I have wanted to go into Subways for a while. But I recently heard from two colleagues that it’s not a good job.  

One was a conductor for 4 months , the other a TO for eight months. Both started in buses, left for subways, and came back. Maybe it’s not a better job as I had thought??I figured less liability and dealing with people, than being a BO.  Yes, I know conductors have to deal with people too. But I figured not as much as BOs.  Plus I figured the TO never deals with people. My colleague said otherwise.  Both said that subways is a completely different animal, worse working conditions, low morale and less pay. Their words, not mine.

Anyone have personal knowledge or experience, or know people with knowledge/experience on which job is better? Subways or buses? Should I stay in buses, or try subways? 

Plus, I was originally told I can take a year off from Buses to try another division, and go back if I wanted. But recently I was told I can’t, bc I’m OA, not TA.  No one seems to know for sure if I can take a year break or not to try subways; I get conflicting info.  I don’t want to give up Buses if subways isn’t a better job. Plus there’s no guarantee I’ll pass training or probation. Then if I leave Buses and can’t go back, I’m screwed.

Any wisdom appreciated.

9 hours ago, Yks747 said:

I am currently in the Dept. of Buses. I have wanted to go into Subways for a while. But I recently heard from two colleagues that it’s not a good job.  

One was a conductor for 4 months , the other a TO for eight months. Both started in buses, left for subways, and came back. Maybe it’s not a better job as I had thought??I figured less liability and dealing with people, than being a BO.  Yes, I know conductors have to deal with people too. But I figured not as much as BOs.  Plus I figured the TO never deals with people. My colleague said otherwise.  Both said that subways is a completely different animal, worse working conditions, low morale and less pay. Their words, not mine.

Anyone have personal knowledge or experience, or know people with knowledge/experience on which job is better? Subways or buses? Should I stay in buses, or try subways? 

Plus, I was originally told I can take a year off from Buses to try another division, and go back if I wanted. But recently I was told I can’t, bc I’m OA, not TA.  No one seems to know for sure if I can take a year break or not to try subways; I get conflicting info.  I don’t want to give up Buses if subways isn’t a better job. Plus there’s no guarantee I’ll pass training or probation. Then if I leave Buses and can’t go back, I’m screwed.

Any wisdom appreciated.

OA isn't civil service so you wouldn't be able to transfer into RTO. If you were a TA Operator you would've been able to take a promotion test to T/O. Subways isn't for everyone and I do know a few B/O that went to T/O and went right back to their former title. It's not for everyone. I'm not sure if you can go back to O/A if you leave and try T/O through open competitive, but if you were B/O and you past your probation, went onto to T/O and failed the training, you could always return to your former title since you past probation.

15 hours ago, Yks747 said:

Any wisdom appreciated.

It is true. If you are in buses, and are comfortable, stay there.