Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Don't overestimate the intelligence of the human population.

If 25,000 people FILE for the test...approximately a quarter will fail or no-show the test. Start with that. By the time you work your way all the way up to 100 or better, you're usually looking at less than 300 people.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When are we allowed to check our scores to see how we did?

I missed this one also but if you wrote your answers down on that paper they gave you it says on the paper July 8th the answers will be available on the MTA website.

They will after that date mail you your score, but they didn't give any dates for that.

Remember, you're looking at a couple of years before they start hiring people from this test. 

Edited by Dred

I missed this one also but if you wrote your answers down on that paper they gave you it says on the paper July 8th the answers will be available on the MTA website.

They will after that date mail you your score, but they didn't give any dates for that.

Remember, you're looking at a couple of years before they start hiring people from this test.

oh, yeah I know it takes a while. I'm on the last conductor exam and, I'm still waiting to be called. But that list is about to expire Feb 2017.

^ what was your list# again? I believe they will reach to 7000 before feb, I never thought I would of got called for T/O and my list# was 41xx and last I check there over 8000..have faith you will be called for sure..patience..enjoy life now because once you get into MTA your life will change socially ..take as much vacations and do a lot of family functions from now..its a good job but it can take over your life so take my foolish advice ..

I had resigned out of schoolcar for T/O for personal reasons and I am on the list for conductor as well, 65xx..if I do get called I might consider it just for the pension and sacrifice my lifestyle of leaving a mon-Friday job 8-4 weekends off

From exam 8094 the last appointed was 4863. The list is expiring in 8 months. They aren't going to reach list number 7000. We should expect them to reach up to around list number 6,000 keep in mind the list was extended 2 years

Edited by lisandrojosh9

• 2 weeks later...

From exam 8094 the last appointed was 4863. The list is expiring in 8 months. They aren't going to reach list number 7000. We should expect them to reach up to around list number 6,000 keep in mind the list was extended 2 years

So, we should expect the new list to be created before those 8 months are up? I'm anxious for July so I can at least grade myself.

Thanks for your feedback about the test.

I agree 100% that it was made to appear easy. I think many people are going to be a bit surprised about their score on this test. I may even be a bit surprised by scoring lower than I expected.

I think only 1 question had 2 potential answers. I didn't find any other questions where I was not able to find the correct answer and also eliminate all the other answers. 

When the scores come out please come back and let me know how you scored on the exam. 

I have a feeling I'll be embarrassed by my score.  If I'm not too embarrassed, then yeah, I'll share it.  I've had a couple months now to think about the questions and I'm pretty sure I fell into way too many traps.  I overthink tests in general.  Or maybe I'll be surprised.  Either way, I'd love to meet the people who got every question right.  

I have a feeling I'll be embarrassed by my score.  If I'm not too embarrassed, then yeah, I'll share it.  I've had a couple months now to think about the questions and I'm pretty sure I fell into way too many traps.  I overthink tests in general.  Or maybe I'll be surprised.  Either way, I'd love to meet the people who got every question right.  

I promise to share my score on here when I receive it for those who want to compare and feel better or worse. Frankly, I really don't care what anyone else thinks besides Transit. I'm here for a real job that'll get my life back on track. I do wish the best for anyone here who is currently in my situation and desperately needs a city job. Good luck to all.

I promise to share my score on here when I receive it for those who want to compare and feel better or worse. Frankly, I really don't care what anyone else thinks besides Transit. I'm here for a real job that'll get my life back on track. I do wish the best for anyone here who is currently in my situation and desperately needs a city job. Good luck to all.

You're right.  I don't know why I'd be embarrassed since I don't know any of you in real life--or should that even matter?  This is just a message board and we're here to exchange ideas and information.  I'll share my score no matter how well I did.  But I don't think I did all that well  ::runs away sobbing::

You're right.  I don't know why I'd be embarrassed since I don't know any of you in real life--or should that even matter?  This is just a message board and we're here to exchange ideas and information.  I'll share my score no matter how well I did.  But I don't think I did all that well  ::runs away sobbing::

Do you feel like you did that bad? I'm just hoping they hire a lot of us and go well into this list.

Do you feel like you did that bad? I'm just hoping they hire a lot of us and go well into this list.

I actually don't think I did that bad.  I'm pretty sure I passed at least.  But I also feel like I got more than a couple wrong.  And it seems if you don't get 100% you could literally be waiting years to be called.  So, in my mind at least, because I'm overly obsessed about this whole thing, if I didn't get 100% I feel like I actually did fail.  I know it's illogical to think that way, but I don't want to wait years to be called.  

@Candor, that's how I feel, mostly. I have no doubt I passed. It's just that only those who score extremely well are going to get hired, and I'm not confident that I scored that high.

Once/if you get on the job than it's generally a matter of pass/fail, doing what's needed and moving on.

Guys I wouldn't stress that much. Like many of you, I too am anxious for the test results. With that being said, rather than watching the time pass obsessing on when they start calling people or even if I'll ever get called, understand that it's a lengthy process.

I have a friend who's currently a T/O for the MTA. He took the last conductor test in '08 and don't actually get called instill he started in 2012. Keep in mind he started as conductor and I believe he moved up to T/O at the end of 2014.

From my past experience, I took the TSA test right after 9/11 when they were revamping the whole Dept. keep in mind that those who had worked for years under the TSA had to retake the tests themselves and believe it or not, many of them failed. I eventually got called up about 8 months after I took it in 2002, but then again that's the TSA and I was living in FL at the time.

The point I'm trying to make is to be confident and patient. Understand that it's going to be a lengthy process and by any means don't let this test overtake your life. I personally intend to stay in my POS job until this thing comes through hopefully. I've been working corporate most of my life and to be honest I'm sick of working on an office. I have a family and am a bit older now so I'm thinking long term. So the MTA or any city job for that matter, although it'll suck and I won't have a life for the first few years, at least it's something that's secure for all of us and we can retire from it.

Guys I wouldn't stress that much. Like many of you, I too am anxious for the test results. With that being said, rather than watching the time pass obsessing on when they start calling people or even if I'll ever get called, understand that it's a lengthy process.

I have a friend who's currently a T/O for the MTA. He took the last conductor test in '08 and don't actually get called instill he started in 2012. Keep in mind he started as conductor and I believe he moved up to T/O at the end of 2014.

From my past experience, I took the TSA test right after 9/11 when they were revamping the whole Dept. keep in mind that those who had worked for years under the TSA had to retake the tests themselves and believe it or not, many of them failed. I eventually got called up about 8 months after I took it in 2002, but then again that's the TSA and I was living in FL at the time.

The point I'm trying to make is to be confident and patient. Understand that it's going to be a lengthy process and by any means don't let this test overtake your life. I personally intend to stay in my POS job until this thing comes through hopefully. I've been working corporate most of my life and to be honest I'm sick of working on an office. I have a family and am a bit older now so I'm thinking long term. So the MTA or any city job for that matter, although it'll suck and I won't have a life for the first few years, at least it's something that's secure for all of us and we can retire from it.

Thank you for your insight and encouragement.  I'm really sick of my corporate job too...maybe that's why I'm so impatient.  I just wanted to do really well on this test as a matter of personal pride.  But there's nothing I can do about it now, so I might as well kick back and relax for now.

Everyone needs to just focus on what there current goals are and try to make their lives Better now before they call us (if the call us). We just need to forget about this test and continue to work at our current jobs everyday. And the younger ones on here who don't have a job maybe should think about getting one and begin to save. Me personally I'm just taking advantage of all the overtime my current job is giving me and stacking the hell out of my bread, so that if the MTA does call me I will be ready to make bigger moves and take bigger steps in my life.

Thanks guys. I think encouragement is what we all need from time to time. And who knows, maybe later down the road, and if things hopefully go as planned, we can meet each other on the other side and laugh about this time.

I've always had jobs that I really didn't care about, but I know I want to be in the MTA. My only regret is not having taken the test sooner. I still keep in touch with my boy inside and he's telling me that the older folks are retiring left and right, and now with the expansion on the east side line, I'm pretty sure they're going to need people.

I'll probably post again on this thread once they release the test results and we get our scores, perhaps then it gives us a better idea of where we're at with all this.

Thanks guys. I think encouragement is what we all need from time to time. And who knows, maybe later down the road, and if things hopefully go as planned, we can meet each other on the other side and laugh about this time.

I've always had jobs that I really didn't care about, but I know I want to be in the MTA. My only regret is not having taken the test sooner. I still keep in touch with my boy inside and he's telling me that the older folks are retiring left and right, and now with the expansion on the east side line, I'm pretty sure they're going to need people.

I'll probably post again on this thread once they release the test results and we get our scores, perhaps then it gives us a better idea of where we're at with all this.

You're definitely not alone on that. I've had more jobs than I can count on both hands, and that's within the past 5 years. I always had a serious problem finding interest in doing the jobs I've had (retail, access-a-ride, housekeeping). These have all been dead-end jobs with no benefits and not even enough pay to survive in NYC. At my age (26) I have a hard time settling at a place that can't offer me security and a LIVING. I know having a job is better than being unemployed, no matter how shitty the job may be. But I guess at some point along the way I lost all enthusiasm and motivation with these dead-end jobs. My sister became a cop almost 2 years ago and has told me how much single cops with no children stack up; let's just say they can afford to live comfortably in NYC. Even with children and some debt, you can benefit so much from a city job. Her family healthcare & car insurance = pennies. I'm currently waiting for Sanitation, Court Officer or Conductor. Either of these would be great careers for me, personally. Something to be proud of. No dead ends.