Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 123melvin said:

At 430pm I was sitting with a guy who was there from 630am too waiting on the lab.

This is my third time taking it. My only guess is that it was his first PE and they’re giving preferential treatment to people like me that have done this numerous times already. 

1 minute ago, Jay0989 said:

This is my third time taking it. My only guess is that it was his first PE and they’re giving preferential treatment to people like me that have done this numerous times already. 

This was 3rd time too. I still had to wait. In fact  I did not have to fill a new application, my last one was still valid because less than 90 days. Looks like by the time they call me for medical my drug test would be expired.  But this one is good until May so i would just have to do paperwork only. I got there at 7am. I was the 30th person in line but still had to wait all day for lab. 

12 hours ago, 123melvin said:

This was 3rd time too. I still had to wait. In fact  I did not have to fill a new application, my last one was still valid because less than 90 days. Looks like by the time they call me for medical my drug test would be expired.  But this one is good until May so i would just have to do paperwork only. I got there at 7am. I was the 30th person in line but still had to wait all day for lab. 

Guess I was lucky man. Fingers crossed that the March and April class get approved, and I should be on - list #13xx

So who else wasted ANOTHER day this week for conductor pre employment ?  It was my THIRD and I’m very aggravated, bc I didn’t get to do the drug screen....so my time, money for parking, gas and tolls was for NOTHING.

I’m sure some people share my frustration,  and then some will say “if you want the job bad enough, it’s part of the process”....no, it’s not. Bc how much more dedicated can I be? I am a CURRENT employee....which means it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a day off in Transit and it is very hard to get a change of assignment (if you get hired into the MTA, you’ll see)....so you can’t say “if you want it bad enough”....bc I finished work, for the authority, at 1230 the night before....sleep at 2am , to be up for the THIRD pre employment at 5am, to get in line early to hopefully be done early (which, btw, showing up early is useless in order to finish early).....to sit for almost seven hours, to not get to pee, bc I had to leave to go to WORK at 3, to 130am.....so, a 22 hour day on three hours sleep, for NOTHING...and I shouldn’t be mad???

I did all I could, and the lab has to be closed for HOURS. Really?!?!  On top of that I’m tired of filling out the SAME application over and over....so I photocopied it, which isnt good enough for them (mind you, the PRE employment application, NOT the official one—and NOTHING has changed since my last one).....so learn from my mistake, don’t give a photocopy of your application.

So my time and money was for nothing bc I had to leave to do my responsibility and do the right thing, and be at WORK ON TIME...and now I’m off the list for this class. Totally unacceptable!!!!  For those in similar circumstances, I’m very sorry, I know how you feel. 

When i went for a Police Officer position, to carry a gun and arrest people, the process was not as much bs as for this low paying condoctor job. 

Good luck to those who have to ability to spend numerous days, all day, waiting, doing the same thing.

For those on their second, third, etc PRE employment, they should be in and out, and not take people who are there for the first time first.  No excuses to waste all day....it takes five minutes to take a piss test . Obvs I can pass mine .

Also....it clearly states on the letter to be in BUSINESS CASUAL, NO JEANS, or you will be sent home. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I find it offensive when I see countless people in jeans and tee shirts for a job interview.....why were they not sent home , as the letter states??? How is that fair to people like me, who change their long work schedules, show up early and dress professionally???  Trust me, if you show up to the steps for the hiring process of police officer dressed like that (minus the agility), they WILL send you home....I’ve seen it. The MTA should do what they say they will...that would weed out the wait, and be fair to those of us who read and follow directions 

Edited by Yks747

yeah I was there yesterday for the third time. And it did seem like they took all the first timers first. And then they called all the station agents first.

I was sayin that yesterday how people have on constructs n jeans and its not right how people have to go to extremes just to make it to pre employment and others just show up like it’s a casual first day of school. Lol next time ima wear some uggs and leggings. 

The application I didn’t have to do again cuz it’s good til March. But I’ve spend like all day waiting too. They called me to the counter to tell me the lab was on hold n I can leave n come back in 40 minutes. That was like at 1pm. They opened up again a little before 2pm. Went in the lab and waited maybe an hour to be called. 

My thing is I hope that after all this tedious and extraneous work they have us doing that I atleast get an offer. I would hate to be declined especially by that dumb 1:3 random rule for candidacy selections after I’ve met all the qualifications and passed all their pre employment stuff. 

4 hours ago, Mina said:

yeah I was there yesterday for the third time. And it did seem like they took all the first timers first. And then they called all the station agents first.

I was sayin that yesterday how people have on constructs n jeans and its not right how people have to go to extremes just to make it to pre employment and others just show up like it’s a casual first day of school. Lol next time ima wear some uggs and leggings. 

The application I didn’t have to do again cuz it’s good til March. But I’ve spend like all day waiting too. They called me to the counter to tell me the lab was on hold n I can leave n come back in 40 minutes. That was like at 1pm. They opened up again a little before 2pm. Went in the lab and waited maybe an hour to be called. 

My thing is I hope that after all this tedious and extraneous work they have us doing that I atleast get an offer. I would hate to be declined especially by that dumb 1:3 random rule for candidacy selections after I’ve met all the qualifications and passed all their pre employment stuff. 

1:3 random rule?

So apparently theres a law for agency’s when it comes to consideration and selection.  People will go thru the process many times and will have all the qualifications and get a letter from the agency saying you were considered but not selected and so on. But I had to quoted it from another forum cuz I can’t really explain it like they did here:

“When a civil service exam is given, a list is established afterwards from which city agencies hire. The list consists of all those who passed the test, ranked by their scores. New York State Civil Service Law requires agencies to utilize the list when they are hiring for that title, and requires them to consider the top three scorers remaining on this list; this is known as the "one-in-three rule." Once a list is established, it remains in effect for one year, and can be extended for up to three additional years.

One in Three Rule: Under New York State Civil Service Law, this rule provides City agencies with the discretion when hiring to select one of the three eligibles scoring highest on the ranked eligible list of exam passers.

Your list number as a result is very important. Your agency cannot simply appoint whomever they want, whenever they want. Now they must, by law, proceed in number order while making appointments. If, for example, the Commissioner of the agency is list number 19, the Commissioner cannot be appointed while the first 18 candidates on the list are ignored.

The One-In-Three Rule.Your agency does not have to appoint every successful candidate. When the agency "considers" candidates whose list numbers are #1, 2 and 3 for the first job, the agency can select the best of the "one-in-three."

If the agency gives that first appointment to the candidate whose list number is list #1, numbers 2 and 3 are marked "CNS" or considered but not selected. If a second job is available, list #s 2, 3, and 4 must be considered. If #2 is chosen, #3 has been considered but not selected twice and #4, once.

When a third position is offered, #3, 4 and 5 are considered, but if the job goes to candidate #4, candidate #3 has been considered but not selected three times. His or her name is removed from the list for any future consideration. The Agency can (but does not have to) grant a candidate's written request for later restoration to the list.”

12 hours ago, Mina said:

So apparently theres a law for agency’s when it comes to consideration and selection.  People will go thru the process many times and will have all the qualifications and get a letter from the agency saying you were considered but not selected and so on. But I had to quoted it from another forum cuz I can’t really explain it like they did here:

“When a civil service exam is given, a list is established afterwards from which city agencies hire. The list consists of all those who passed the test, ranked by their scores. New York State Civil Service Law requires agencies to utilize the list when they are hiring for that title, and requires them to consider the top three scorers remaining on this list; this is known as the "one-in-three rule." Once a list is established, it remains in effect for one year, and can be extended for up to three additional years.

One in Three Rule: Under New York State Civil Service Law, this rule provides City agencies with the discretion when hiring to select one of the three eligibles scoring highest on the ranked eligible list of exam passers.

Your list number as a result is very important. Your agency cannot simply appoint whomever they want, whenever they want. Now they must, by law, proceed in number order while making appointments. If, for example, the Commissioner of the agency is list number 19, the Commissioner cannot be appointed while the first 18 candidates on the list are ignored.

The One-In-Three Rule.Your agency does not have to appoint every successful candidate. When the agency "considers" candidates whose list numbers are #1, 2 and 3 for the first job, the agency can select the best of the "one-in-three."

If the agency gives that first appointment to the candidate whose list number is list #1, numbers 2 and 3 are marked "CNS" or considered but not selected. If a second job is available, list #s 2, 3, and 4 must be considered. If #2 is chosen, #3 has been considered but not selected twice and #4, once.

When a third position is offered, #3, 4 and 5 are considered, but if the job goes to candidate #4, candidate #3 has been considered but not selected three times. His or her name is removed from the list for any future consideration. The Agency can (but does not have to) grant a candidate's written request for later restoration to the list.”

Makes me feel less optimistic now 😟

5 hours ago, Schecter said:

Makes me feel less optimistic now 😟

Oh nooooo I don’t mean to make you or anyone feel that way. I apologize. I felt the same way too but I was just saying that after all this we are doing I just hope THIS doesn’t happen to me or anyone who’s been waiting and wanting a city agency job. 

For me tho I have nothing to lose so ima keep doing these pre employments until weneva.... 

For others I just hope you remain optimistic because you never know, you MAY be deemed more qualifiable than anyone above or below ur list number (shoot maybe even me- which they aren’t even close to appointing yet). IMHO so as long as MTA keeps inviting us in then there’s a good chance we’re in already, they probably just testing us to see if who really wants the job like someone said before.

But don’t let that 1:3 rule discourage you . I feel that other jobs already do that. They will have 5 positions open, interview 10 people and then only hire 3. Then still have an ad out to fill a position you know you qualified for and yet they didn’t choose you. And sometimes I still don’t be understanding but it is what it is.

SOAN I hope you stay positive. You probably still have a really great shot being that there wasn’t many qualifications for this position either so it shouldn’t be that competitive. 

Yeah I feel as long as they keep calling you back then most likely they're considering you, but I feel like they're going to through the list numbers fast because not a lot of people can keep going to pre employments because they either have a job with the mta cant keep missing days or they have other jobs which could fire them from taking days off. Oh yeah and PS people stop wearing fit its and hats inside the building unless you want the security guard lady yelling at you. People came dressed unproffesionally yesterday with jordans and sweats it looks really bad trust me.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, Yks747 said:

So who else wasted ANOTHER day this week for conductor pre employment ?  It was my THIRD and I’m very aggravated, bc I didn’t get to do the drug screen....so my time, money for parking, gas and tolls was for NOTHING.

I’m sure some people share my frustration,  and then some will say “if you want the job bad enough, it’s part of the process”....no, it’s not. Bc how much more dedicated can I be? I am a CURRENT employee....which means it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a day off in Transit and it is very hard to get a change of assignment (if you get hired into the MTA, you’ll see)....so you can’t say “if you want it bad enough”....bc I finished work, for the authority, at 1230 the night before....sleep at 2am , to be up for the THIRD pre employment at 5am, to get in line early to hopefully be done early (which, btw, showing up early is useless in order to finish early).....to sit for almost seven hours, to not get to pee, bc I had to leave to go to WORK at 3, to 130am.....so, a 22 hour day on three hours sleep, for NOTHING...and I shouldn’t be mad???

I did all I could, and the lab has to be closed for HOURS. Really?!?!  On top of that I’m tired of filling out the SAME application over and over....so I photocopied it, which isnt good enough for them (mind you, the PRE employment application, NOT the official one—and NOTHING has changed since my last one).....so learn from my mistake, don’t give a photocopy of your application.

So my time and money was for nothing bc I had to leave to do my responsibility and do the right thing, and be at WORK ON TIME...and now I’m off the list for this class. Totally unacceptable!!!!  For those in similar circumstances, I’m very sorry, I know how you feel. 

When i went for a Police Officer position, to carry a gun and arrest people, the process was not as much bs as for this low paying condoctor job. 

Good luck to those who have to ability to spend numerous days, all day, waiting, doing the same thing.

For those on their second, third, etc PRE employment, they should be in and out, and not take people who are there for the first time first.  No excuses to waste all day....it takes five minutes to take a piss test . Obvs I can pass mine .

Also....it clearly states on the letter to be in BUSINESS CASUAL, NO JEANS, or you will be sent home. Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I find it offensive when I see countless people in jeans and tee shirts for a job interview.....why were they not sent home , as the letter states??? How is that fair to people like me, who change their long work schedules, show up early and dress professionally???  Trust me, if you show up to the steps for the hiring process of police officer dressed like that (minus the agility), they WILL send you home....I’ve seen it. The MTA should do what they say they will...that would weed out the wait, and be fair to those of us who read and follow directions 

This is exactly, 💯percent how I felt when reading all the times I've seen people going for hours to go again and again and again. 

Seems like this list is managed poorly when it comes to appointing people. By making them take the drug test and physical repeatedly along with the rest of the pre employment paperwork. Fact is one day i understand. Perhaps a second day half the time. However a 7+ hour day is unacceptable to wait along and then have to do that a few more times smh. 

I have empathy for your unfortunate mismanagement of your time by the hiring process for conductors. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, Schecter said:

Yeah I feel as long as they keep calling you back then most likely they're considering you, but I feel like they're going to through the list numbers fast because not a lot of people can keep going to pre employments because they either have a job with the mta cant keep missing days or they have other jobs which could fire them from taking days off. Oh yeah and PS people stop wearing fit its and hats inside the building unless you want the security guard lady yelling at you. People came dressed unproffesionally yesterday with jordans and sweats it looks really bad trust me.

Maybe they didn't read the letter carefully. I'm trying to recall I think for the test and opa I wore a fitted both times. Almost everyone was dressed down those days. 

9 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Maybe they didn't read the letter carefully. I'm trying to recall I think for the test and opa I wore a fitted both times. Almost everyone was dressed down those days. 

I wore business casual cloths the first time, just like the letter said. And when I was there most people had jeans and sneakers. I asked someone why did they dress down?. He said it is his 3rd time there and they didn't even care or notice. So i went dressed down my 2nd, and 3rd time.  It's just to give the same paperwork and prove who I am and piss in a cup so i dressed down.

2 hours ago, 123melvin said:

I wore business casual cloths the first time, just like the letter said. And when I was there most people had jeans and sneakers. I asked someone why did they dress down?. He said it is his 3rd time there and they didn't even care or notice. So i went dressed down my 2nd, and 3rd time.  It's just to give the same paperwork and prove who I am and piss in a cup so i dressed down.

When you go to the 2nd or 3rd pre employment do you have to fill out the entire packet and the homework all over again?

37 minutes ago, 123melvin said:

You have fill the packet. But the homework you bring when you go in for medical only. 

So would it be dumb to fill out the homework because a lot of these can change from now until the medical I'm list number 14xx and they're only on list number 1041

I remember I started filling out the 21 page packet last year when they first started calling me for pre employment in April, and only one thing changed for me. So I have to do it again. You will get that packet every time they invite you for PE. But if you do start just hold on to it n don’t date it until they call u for medical. You can add stuff if something changes but make sure it matches the application u gave them wen u went to the PE

But they haven’t called me in for medical yet nor have they even reached my list number yet. & I’m 14xx’s also. So I’m really waiting for an email or call for medical to start filling out that packet.

Edited by Mina

Hello everyone, I was called in for my 3rd pre-employment process Feb 1st. I received my invite for medical today. It did state there’s a class starting on Feb 25th in the email. I keep hearing so many different dates on this thread. My number is in the 1100’s. Blessings everyone!! 

1 minute ago, Ayesha said:

Hello everyone, I was called in for my 3rd pre-employment process Feb 1st. I received my invite for medical today. It did state there’s a class starting on Feb 25th in the email. I keep hearing so many different dates on this thread. My number is in the 1100’s. Blessings everyone!! 

What's the email address that they send the medical information so I can save it to my contacts 

28 minutes ago, Ayesha said:

Congrats! Are you low 1100’s or mid? My number is 111*. With my luck I feel like they’ll stop just right before my number or mess up my email since my handwriting is a mess 😂

41 minutes ago, srod12 said:

Congrats! Are you low 1100’s or mid? My number is 111*. With my luck I feel like they’ll stop just right before my number or mess up my email since my handwriting is a mess 😂

Thanks!! Very low 110* It’s gonna be right no time. We gotta stay positive!! Almost there.