Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

45 minutes ago, Schecter said:

As long as I'm not stuck on the grand central shuttle train then I'll be fine imagine just going back and forth only 1 stop for 8 or 16 hours 

Shuttle trains dont have conductors , its opto so its just a train operator who opens and operates 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Schecter said:

As long as I'm not stuck on the grand central shuttle train then I'll be fine imagine just going back and forth only 1 stop for 8 or 16 hours 

There’s no conductor on that train

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Do they appoint the division for you or do you pick and what day of training do you pick your division of choice?? 2nd day? Third day?

You choose but it’s split in half. If there’s 40 people it’s 20 each and if there’s 20 people before u and they all pick the A division automatically u go to the b..u choose the 2nd day

Edited by Emart

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Also side note, It’s going to be really nice to meet all of you this April 1 class. It’s refreshing to see some rail fans living their dream. Congratulations!! And for those waiting, good luck. 

It’s refreshing to see a fellow buff come on down. In my short time being here (7 months now) I haven’t met many people down here who are outright train buffs. Mostly people with families.

A bit of advice since you asked about picking divisions if you get the choice don’t go based on which division has certain equipment you like, go for what’s convenient for you. I got forced into the A division and live in Brooklyn and to say the least it’s not easy commute wise being XX. Choose wisely and also be humble. You aren’t going to get brownie points for knowing what trains have what propulsion, go into this like you know nothing and let your TSS’s teach you everything. Trust me there’s a lot you don’t know about trains that you’ll learn in school car.

Congrats and goodluck. 

2 hours ago, Emart said:

You choose but it’s split in half. If there’s 40 people it’s 20 each and if there’s 20 people before u and they all pick the A division automatically u go to the b..u choose the 2nd day

Hey, what’s the difference between the two divisions and which one is more favorable??? 

3 hours ago, Ayesha said:

Hey, what’s the difference between the two divisions and which one is more favorable??? 

B division is all letter trains, A is number trains. B division has more equipment as far as trains go. But like someone said if u do get to choose ... choose what is better for you. For my class we didnt get to choose there was only 23 of us & we were all sent to the B and one other person who chose the A because she had started earlier but didnt complete training. Tbh i love being in the B division because i live in queens & there arent really any number trains other than the 7 & that trains a mess  lol... but do your research and go into schoolcar with an open mind. A lot of the things down here u dont have control over and u gotta "pay your dues". Best of luck to all 

On 2/28/2019 at 2:24 PM, iag48st said:

#12XX , just email for medical this Monday 

Congrats, is you in the early 1200? I’m in the 1200 too. Im just trying to figure out where they at in the 1200. Thank you

17 hours ago, Jay0989 said:

Hey everyone. Anyone in the Feb 25 class know the last appointed? High 1300s and anxious over here!! Lol

I'm in the Feb 25 class... I couldn't say the highest # in there called but my list # is 107x and I was like 19/40 in my class. You pick based on seniority. But when you get split into your divisions it's a lik diff

20 hours ago, VIP said:

Also side note, It’s going to be really nice to meet all of you this April 1 class. It’s refreshing to see some rail fans living their dream. Congratulations!! And for those waiting, good luck. 

Hello, are you in the April 1 class? And if so what is your list number? Just trying to get a idea where they are at

On 2/27/2019 at 7:13 PM, Bmpo7 said:

Feels like the opposite. If you're young, the pension should be the reason why you take the job. Coming to transit to do 10 years and out isnt worth it, not if you make a good salary. Its only worth it if you can do the 25 years.

I disagree. You see if you make good money and have a good job at 26 and are making let's say $95k and earn more the next few yrs. And you can make more each year at that job than you would make at MTA I feel like you're better off at that job. Your earning potential for age 26-66 would serve you better you can save that money if you earn more. 

16 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I disagree. You see if you make good money and have a good job at 26 and are making let's say $95k and earn more the next few yrs. And you can make more each year at that job than you would make at MTA I feel like you're better off at that job. Your earning potential for age 26-66 would serve you better you can save that money if you earn more. 

Oh yeah well at $95k definitely. I'm just saying for regular folks, who are 30 or under, making $30k-$60k, definitely take transit for the pension and growth opportunities. I don't encourage anybody making big money to leave their job unless they are miserable or have no security.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, Vida said:

Hello, are you in the April 1 class? And if so what is your list number? Just trying to get a idea where they are at

Yes I’m in the April 1st class. My list number was 11xx but I’m in the class with those who’s list numbers are 12xx 

6 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Oh yeah well at $95k definitely. I'm just saying for regular folks, who are 30 or under, making $30k-$60k, definitely take transit for the pension and growth opportunities. I don't encourage anybody making big money to leave their job unless they are miserable or have no security.

Who can afford to live in nyc on anything under than $45k per yr?? Unless living with parents and who 30 yrs old at that?? 

5 minutes ago, iag48st said:

Any chance the office will be closed tomorrow due to weather? Would hate to commute in the morning only find it closed. 

I have a feeling that theyll be opened tomorrow rather take the risk and go because transit is always up and running 

58 minutes ago, iag48st said:

Any chance the office will be closed tomorrow due to weather? Would hate to commute in the morning only find it closed. 

Go. No matter how bad the weather will be.  As already said, Transit is always up and running.  All those snow storms when the subway was shut down,  you will still have to report to your assigned location.  Two feet of snow?  You gotta report. No subway service?  You gotta report. Another hurricane sandy?  You gotta report.  And BTW,  during bad weather like snow,  there's "early report" which means call up the night before and find out if the job you have requires an early report if you don't already know.   One time I reported early without knowing there was an early report only because I live three stips from the terminal and show up early anyway.   I got lucky. 

1 hour ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Go. No matter how bad the weather will be.  As already said, Transit is always up and running.  All those snow storms when the subway was shut down,  you will still have to report to your assigned location.  Two feet of snow?  You gotta report. No subway service?  You gotta report. Another hurricane sandy?  You gotta report.  And BTW,  during bad weather like snow,  there's "early report" which means call up the night before and find out if the job you have requires an early report if you don't already know.   One time I reported early without knowing there was an early report only because I live three stips from the terminal and show up early anyway.   I got lucky. 

How do you guys commute in crazy snow storms if there’s no public transportation running? No cars on streets? 

2 hours ago, iag48st said:

How do you guys commute in crazy snow storms if there’s no public transportation running? No cars on streets? 

Well there's ALWAYS public transportation, unless there's extreme circumstances. In that case, you MUST give your MAX effort to report to your nearest terminal or bus depot. So lets say you take the 3 train out of New Lots to get to work, you must get to the New Lots dispatcher, call the crew office and let them know there are no 3 trains running. Again, thats assuming an extreme circumstance in which there are no buses, no railroads, etc. You can't just stay home and make the excuse. You must report to work. 

Also, there are sometimes light trains that are picking up employees.

20 hours ago, VIP said:

Yes I’m in the April 1st class. My list number was 11xx but I’m in the class with those who’s list numbers are 12xx 

Congrats and Thank you. That is great cause I’m in the 12xx