Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

I would say go with what ever calls you first, that's what I'm waiting for but during the pre-employment for Conductor they told us we need to take exams as well and need at least a 70% and a 100% on last exam. If I remember correctly.

The Quizzes/Midterm and Final are 80% I believe. The Practicals are pass/fail. 

1 hour ago, Toba817 said:

Sounds doable 

It’s not hard at all. It’s going to seem overwhelming at first because of the amount of material you’ll be getting, but your TSS’s will be drilling it into your head everyday. The hardest part about the practicals are calming your nerves. The midterm/final exams were a piece of cake. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

The Quizzes/Midterm and Final are 80% I believe. The Practicals are pass/fail. 

It’s not hard at all. It’s going to seem overwhelming at first because of the amount of material you’ll be getting, but your TSS’s will be drilling it into your head everyday. The hardest part about the practicals are calming your nerves. The midterm/final exams were a piece of cake. 

Hey I really appreciate your reaponse. Yea it does sound really overwhelming and stressful but that's natural I guess. How is your experience so far overall? 

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

Just study your behind off when you get into school, and I have high hopes that all of us will be coworkers down in the tunnels

Such a positive post more and more its looking like I'm going to pass on this opportunity. However I wish all of you nothing but the best. Lot of positivity on this forum.

MTA is lucky to be gaining many of you as employees 💯

1 hour ago, Toba817 said:

Hey I really appreciate your reaponse. Yea it does sound really overwhelming and stressful but that's natural I guess. How is your experience so far overall? 

The job has its days. The toughest part is dealing with the customers. Traveling is also hard for me since I live in Brooklyn and got forced into the A division. I won't lie there were times where i felt like giving up and finding something else, but I've met some dope senior people and supervisors that keep me going. Lately things have started to get better with all these classes coming out I've been getting some dope money jobs. I've had AM's with weekends off for going on 9 months now, and every major Holiday I finished in Brooklyn, and they gave me Xmas off (paid).

It's good job, but it can be challenging. I'm glad I started out as a C/R because of the knowledge that I've gained that I'll take when i move up front to T/O, but I honestly can't see myself doing this more than 5 years, let alone the 33+ I have to do due to my age. 

Like anything else you have to take the good with the bad. 

25 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

The job has its days. The toughest part is dealing with the customers. Traveling is also hard for me since I live in Brooklyn and got forced into the A division. I won't lie there were times where i felt like giving up and finding something else, but I've met some dope senior people and supervisors that keep me going. Lately things have started to get better with all these classes coming out I've been getting some dope money jobs. I've had AM's with weekends off for going on 9 months now, and every major Holiday I finished in Brooklyn, and they gave me Xmas off (paid).

It's good job, but it can be challenging. I'm glad I started out as a C/R because of the knowledge that I've gained that I'll take when i move up front to T/O, but I honestly can't see myself doing this more than 5 years, let alone the 33+ I have to do due to my age. 

Sounds interesting man, I appreciate the insight. I just made ten years with one of the city agencies and so far so good...(summers off) . But if the chance comes I'll check it out

52 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

You get night differential to right? 

So if they’re at 1320, there should be no excuse for hr to play more games w people in my bracket....I’m in the 1330’s.  I’m tired of the non sense w these pe’s and wasting my time and other people’s time. I’m a current employee and the process is unacceptable. Plus it was stated a relatively new hire gets weekends off, holidays off and ams. Idk how they got so lucky. I’ve been in a division w the MTA for over four years, and I sure as hell cant get weekends or holidays off, or good vacation picks. And early work is slim. So if you can get that within nine months in the subway division, I’ll make the switch. 

19 hours ago, Yks747 said:

So if they’re at 1320, there should be no excuse for hr to play more games w people in my bracket....I’m in the 1330’s.  I’m tired of the non sense w these pe’s and wasting my time and other people’s time. I’m a current employee and the process is unacceptable. Plus it was stated a relatively new hire gets weekends off, holidays off and ams. Idk how they got so lucky. I’ve been in a division w the MTA for over four years, and I sure as hell cant get weekends or holidays off, or good vacation picks. And early work is slim. So if you can get that within nine months in the subway division, I’ll make the switch. 

Not sure which division you are in but understand that new hires are extra extra. What that means is that you fill in for jobs that other conductors call out sick / abandoned /medical leave/random drug test etc.. what this means is that today you'll be on the D starting at Bedford park. Tomorrow you can be on the A from far rock. Or you can be placed to wait at a terminal like Rockaway parkway on the L until you are assigned a job(receiving pay while you wait). One of the perks of being extra extra is that you may get weekends off. But keep in mind you only know your assignment two days in advance. Only way to get a regular scheduled job as a new employee in RTO (subways) is too win a job off of the bid sheet. Which is pretty hard to do seeing as to how the job gets awarded to the employee with the lowest seniority number (more time in RTO). I spoke to a cleaner who said she didnt take the promotion because she doesnt like that we have to call 20 days in advance for a day off and that if we do, we aren't garunteed the day off. But if you want to be apart of RTO, that's the price. 7 months and I havent taken a day but I've known others in my class who took 4 vaca days already. So good comes with the bad. Your choice. 

1 hour ago, Koqns24 said:

Not sure which division you are in but understand that new hires are extra extra. What that means is that you fill in for jobs that other conductors call out sick / abandoned /medical leave/random drug test etc.. what this means is that today you'll be on the D starting at Bedford park. Tomorrow you can be on the A from far rock. Or you can be placed to wait at a terminal like Rockaway parkway on the L until you are assigned a job(receiving pay while you wait). One of the perks of being extra extra is that you may get weekends off. But keep in mind you only know your assignment two days in advance. Only way to get a regular scheduled job as a new employee in RTO (subways) is too win a job off of the bid sheet. Which is pretty hard to do seeing as to how the job gets awarded to the employee with the lowest seniority number (more time in RTO). I spoke to a cleaner who said she didnt take the promotion because she doesnt like that we have to call 20 days in advance for a day off and that if we do, we aren't garunteed the day off. But if you want to be apart of RTO, that's the price. 7 months and I havent taken a day but I've known others in my class who took 4 vaca days already. So good comes with the bad. Your choice. 

You forgot to mention the long waits for medical and school car lmao jk 🤪

On 4/18/2019 at 4:42 PM, train1290 said:

How many exams, finals, and quizzes do you get in school car?

Quizzes are up to TSS discretion. Standard quizzes are a total of 2, then there’s two practicals; graded PASS or FAIL.  A yard practical followed by a midterm,  then a Road practical followed by a Final exam. A Midterm exam 80% or better is passing and a Final exam 80% or better is required to pass. Caveat; if you do not pass your practical exams, you can not continue with school car. So Read, study, and ask questions!! But for your own sake READ!!! 

11 hours ago, VIP said:

Quizzes are up to TSS discretion. Standard quizzes are a total of 2, then there’s two practicals; graded PASS or FAIL.  A yard practical followed by a midterm,  then a Road practical followed by a Final exam. A Midterm exam 80% or better is passing and a Final exam 80% or better is required to pass. Caveat; if you do not pass your practical exams, you can not continue with school car. So Read, study, and ask questions!! But for your own sake READ!!! 

What do the practicals consists of if you don't mind me asking? 

14 hours ago, VIP said:

What do you suggest to do first, be a c/o first or go straight to t/o? I think I would be a c/o first to learn the ropes. 

21 minutes ago, Toba817 said:

What do you suggest to do first, be a c/o first or go straight to t/o? I think I would be a c/o first to learn the ropes. 

I would be a c/r first.  This way,  if you realize during the first year of being a T/o that it's not for you,  or if you fail T/O school car,  you go back to being a c/r.  If you go straight to t/o,  and fail school car,  you're done. 

9 hours ago, Schecter said:

You basically you need to pass every single test they give you and if you don't then you're  SOL?

Basically, but be mindful that it’s the practicals, midterm, and final exam that matters most. It’s all repetitive information. You’ll pass if you’ve read the homework provided, and you’ve gotten all your questions and concerns addressed. Take GREAT notes while in class. Use them as a study guide. 

4 minutes ago, VIP said:

Basically, but be mindful that it’s the practicals, midterm, and final exam that matters most. It’s all repetitive information. You’ll pass if you’ve read the homework provided, and you’ve gotten all your questions and concerns addressed. Take GREAT notes while in class. Use them as a study guide. 

Do they write stuff down like they do in schools on a white board so you can copy stuff in your notebook and etc?

20 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I would be a c/r first.  This way,  if you realize during the first year of being a T/o that it's not for you,  or if you fail T/O school car,  you go back to being a c/r.  If you go straight to t/o,  and fail school car,  you're done.

The 5 years to reach max applies if you do 2 yrs c/r and then 3 years t/o?? In other words 5 years and then you max in any position you  transfer to? 

2 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

The 5 years to reach max applies if you do 2 yrs c/r and then 3 years t/o?? In other words 5 years and then you max in any position you  transfer to? 

If you’re a T/O you need 231 road days (operating with customers) to reach top pay.