Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

6 minutes ago, The Batcave said:

They will send you for testing based on your weight, neck size, ekg results, questionnaire responses appear alarming.

Also, it's not advised you do too much OT in your first yr... people say it increases your chances of getting in trouble. Could be superstition, could not

Well doesnt neck size and weight not really correlate because somebody could just have a larger frame and be healthy as a horse 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Batcave said:

They will send you for testing based on your weight, neck size, ekg results, questionnaire responses appear alarming.

Also, it's not advised you do too much OT in your first yr... people say it increases your chances of getting in trouble. Could be superstition, could not

Honestly... this job is dumb easy. Get your rest, read your GOs* AND your supplements*, ask questions. 

When I worked RDOs as a probie, I only did platform jobs close to my home. They can snatch you from the platform to the road if you are not restricted, 

Point to the board, open doors, make announcements, close the rear (not on people), close the front, SWEEP (people constantly underestimate the train and try to get themselves killed), go to RUN and observe the platform. 

No board no doors. 1000% dead ass. Could be a system safety test. Always look for the board out of the storm glass if you can, and wait 

If you overrun, call that shit in and *slow down* otherwise you are looking for a new job. If you underrun, tell him to pull up (the board can be at the alternate position, or in the middle of the two position, at your position, or a hair's breath past your window. Everything else *you must check, and you must call it in.* Don't trust those two buzzes the T/O might give you b/c who is charge of the doors -- you. 

Just do your job, make that money, be safe, and stay safe. 

GOs*, supplements*

Definitely read these and read them right esp if you are working lines that have shared middle tracks.

The D line on Concourse has a C3/4 track that is 3 (southbound express) in the morning for rush hour, and 4 (northbound express) for the afternoon rush hour. On the midnights, sometimes 1 track (southbound local), and 2 track (northbound local) are out of service for work. So they'll throw you down the middle track and the GO paperwork will say open on the N/B platform, or the S/B platform. Normally, you'd open on the on side (T/O controls), but the GO will say otherwise. 

In my first month, I had this kind of GO, and the T/O didn't read the GO, but I did. She didn't enable me on the correct side, and argued with/yelled at me on the PA, so I called that shit out on the radio. She was told by RCC to call them when she got to the terminal, but RCC gave me permission to open on the side she enabled b/c the whole train was in the station. Worse, a TSS was on the train, heard the whole thing over the PA and on the radio and tore her a new one at the terminal. It was very awkward. 

The D has this at Bay Parkway, 62nd St, 9 Av, 145, Tremont, Fordham, and Kingsbridge. N at Astoria Blvd, F at 18 Av, Kings Highway, G at Bedford-Nostrand.

Supplements also tell you how the train will run. If the D is stopping at Dekalb or going straight through the bypass to Atlantic. You want to make the right announcement so people don't hop on the D train thinking this is the last one to Dekalb or if they should just wait at Grand for the next B train. 

12 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

You’re in the A division also? When I asked the crew office how could I transfer over they told me you have to be able to pick a job first to transfer divisions. Don't know if it’s possible via bid shits, but I’ll ask around tomorrow. 

@Angel I missed the pick. Still xx this pick. 

Me too.

I was going to bid... but the jobs suck and S/S rdos are not my thing. 

9 hours ago, kellgh said:

Honestly... this job is dumb easy. Get your rest, read your GOs* AND your supplements*, ask questions. 

When I worked RDOs as a probie, I only did platform jobs close to my home. They can snatch you from the platform to the road if you are not restricted, 

Point to the board, open doors, make announcements, close the rear (not on people), close the front, SWEEP (people constantly underestimate the train and try to get themselves killed), go to RUN and observe the platform. 

No board no doors. 1000% dead ass. Could be a system safety test. Always look for the board out of the storm glass if you can, and wait 

If you overrun, call that shit in and *slow down* otherwise you are looking for a new job. If you underrun, tell him to pull up (the board can be at the alternate position, or in the middle of the two position, at your position, or a hair's breath past your window. Everything else *you must check, and you must call it in.* Don't trust those two buzzes the T/O might give you b/c who is charge of the doors -- you. 

Just do your job, make that money, be safe, and stay safe. 

GOs*, supplements*

Definitely read these and read them right esp if you are working lines that have shared middle tracks.

The D line on Concourse has a C3/4 track that is 3 (southbound express) in the morning for rush hour, and 4 (northbound express) for the afternoon rush hour. On the midnights, sometimes 1 track (southbound local), and 2 track (northbound local) are out of service for work. So they'll throw you down the middle track and the GO paperwork will say open on the N/B platform, or the S/B platform. Normally, you'd open on the on side (T/O controls), but the GO will say otherwise. 

In my first month, I had this kind of GO, and the T/O didn't read the GO, but I did. She didn't enable me on the correct side, and argued with/yelled at me on the PA, so I called that shit out on the radio. She was told by RCC to call them when she got to the terminal, but RCC gave me permission to open on the side she enabled b/c the whole train was in the station. Worse, a TSS was on the train, heard the whole thing over the PA and on the radio and tore her a new one at the terminal. It was very awkward. 

The D has this at Bay Parkway, 62nd St, 9 Av, 145, Tremont, Fordham, and Kingsbridge. N at Astoria Blvd, F at 18 Av, Kings Highway, G at Bedford-Nostrand.

Supplements also tell you how the train will run. If the D is stopping at Dekalb or going straight through the bypass to Atlantic. You want to make the right announcement so people don't hop on the D train thinking this is the last one to Dekalb or if they should just wait at Grand for the next B train. 

Nailed it. Any future C/R should copy & paste this. It's a really simple job. Some people are allergic to following instructions and mess it up. Don't be that person and you will have a good career.

*Should also add:

J -- Broadway Junction/Eastern Parkway middle (put ins only, and GO related. No regular service), Bway-Myrtle

L -- Broadway Junction middle

W -- Whitehall (special case; you open on the side to progress to Brooklyn, close down, and then open on the side going back to Astoria). 

If I missed any, let me know. 

4 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Nailed it. Any future C/R should copy & paste this. It's a really simple job. Some people are allergic to following instructions and mess it up. Don't be that person and you will have a good career.

Also, leave your attitude at home.

Don't argue with customers -- they are somewhere you are getting paid to be. (I stole that from Cardi B >_>) If they say some dumb stuff, either pretend you didn't hear it, or attempt to keep it moving. Don't even let that seep into your thoughts. They are late for work, and you are at work. ;)

Don't argue with supervision. Some of these people power trip. Don't feed into that, and def don't talk back. Sometimes seething in silence lets you live another day. 

On 4/29/2019 at 10:49 PM, J Cooper said:

Just curious, maybe you guys can help me out with these questions

1. In your opinion what division allows you to get the most OT? I'm 23 years old with no kids or big responsibilities, hoping to do tons of OT over my first couple of years

If you have the choice to pick your division your choice should be based on what's more convient for you the money will come regardless where you go. I live in Brooklyn & got forced into the A division and trust me it's rough commuting.  Very recently i fell to the board ended up picking up a whole job 3 hours later at another location and clearing later than I was supposed to because of some track circuit problem. When you're xx you're supposed to have 12 hours off between jobs and I cleared 3 minutes before i reached the 12 hour point plus I had a very early report the next day. Had ro rush home from the BX to BK didn't get enough sleep just to do it all over again. Sure the money was nice, but your health/rest is worth more than a couple of dollars.

I'm 22 years old in the same position, no kids/major responsibilities. Just be careful how you spend your money and stack it. No need to kill yourself, plus you want to stay away from voluntary OT when you're on probation anyway.

@kellgh If you don't want those jobs with S/S RDO's send them my way I'm trying to have a litt summer lmao. Just finished my bid sheet and the RDO's was the first thing I looked at. 

7 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

@kellgh If you don't want those jobs with S/S RDO's send them my way I'm trying to have a litt summer lmao. Just finished my bid sheet and the RDO's was the first thing I looked at. 

Yeah, most of my friends don't have jobs, and I'm not trying to bankroll someone's summer. 

Weekday RDOs it is for me. 

12 hours ago, kellgh said:

Also, leave your attitude at home.

Don't argue with customers -- they are somewhere you are getting paid to be. (I stole that from Cardi B >_>) If they say some dumb stuff, either pretend you didn't hear it, or attempt to keep it moving. Don't even let that seep into your thoughts. They are late for work, and you are at work. ;)

Don't argue with supervision. Some of these people power trip. Don't feed into that, and def don't talk back. Sometimes seething in silence lets you live another day. 

I get not getting mad at the customers. More should think and act like you. 

However someone who works for the same company as I, it's fine if they reprimand. However it has to be done with respect. No one yells at me nor is disresptful. 

10 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

If you have the choice to pick your division your choice should be based on what's more convient for you the money will come regardless where you go. I live in Brooklyn & got forced into the A division and trust me it's rough commuting.  Very recently i fell to the board ended up picking up a whole job 3 hours later at another location and clearing later than I was supposed to because of some track circuit problem. When you're xx you're supposed to have 12 hours off between jobs and I cleared 3 minutes before i reached the 12 hour point plus I had a very early report the next day. Had ro rush home from the BX to BK didn't get enough sleep just to do it all over again. Sure the money was nice, but your health/rest is worth more than a couple of dollars.

I'm 22 years old in the same position, no kids/major responsibilities. Just be careful how you spend your money and stack it. No need to kill yourself, plus you want to stay away from voluntary OT when you're on probation anyway.

You though: the bid sheets are out. 

Bid on EVERY B division job. Cause they either start in Manhattan, Queens, or Brooklyn. Only one train starts out of the Bronx and that is the D. Usually reserved for people in Manhattan, or the Bronx and upstate.

6 hours ago, kellgh said:

You though: the bid sheets are out. 

Bid on EVERY B division job. Cause they either start in Manhattan, Queens, or Brooklyn. Only one train starts out of the Bronx and that is the D. Usually reserved for people in Manhattan, or the Bronx and upstate.

the Delta isn't the only one in the Bronx.  Some Bravo jobs that start during the rush hours,  as well as baseball/football specials. But mostly Bravo jobs. 

19 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I get not getting mad at the customers. More should think and act like you. 

However someone who works for the same company as I, it's fine if they reprimand. However it has to be done with respect. No one yells at me nor is disresptful. 

Yeah good luck with that here at transit. If pride is that important to you, definitely don't come here. Hence why I told you before hotels is WAY better than transit life no matter the pension.

You aren't wrong to feel that way, you're absolutely correct. But here at NYCT, abuse of power is a big issue and any TSS/supt. will make your job hell if they're feeling insecure and need to feel powerful. Real shame, this job has A LOT of potential, but the culture is horrible. 

(Sidenote: most TSS are pretty cool from my experience)

Nyctransitorhotels....I’ve seen your dilemma in past posts, but never said anything Bc I didn’t know what advice to give.  But bmpo7 post made me realize....if you want my opinion, F transit and stay where you’re at!!  That goes for anyone waiting for a transit job. I’m sure I’ll get some negative comments from people in here, but it’s my personal opinion, as an ACTIVE transit employee.  

I’ve been at transit for several years now and HATE it (that’s an UNDERstatement).....

....I’m miserable there EVERY SINGLE day and hate my life due to my job.....everyone who knows me knows I hate it, including bosses. The job sucks!  Ask my family....I take the stress home w me and hate waking up to have to do it all over again. 

Dealing w people’s bs piss poor attitudes ALL day/EVERY day, dirty looks, threats, getting yelled at and told how to do your job, being bitched at for EVERYthing (including being late, get used to that bs....it’s my fault traffic is a nightmare and people are slow and entitled w boarding—-it’s YOUR fault),  no respect, appreciation or gratitude....you help someone out and you don’t get a thank you....you get recorded all the time if you so much as look at them wrong....then you get called in for a complaint and management is always on the public’s side....many of which are scum. EVERYTHING is YOUR fault, per management.  You are treated like a pos all day long. 

Even w my years, I get LOUSY vacation, LOUSY days off, LOUSY and irregular hours.....it’s not fair for less senior workers, senior workers get everything:    Good vaction time, hours, work, pay, days off, time off...it’s not distributed in a fairer way........ good luck getting a day off, at least in my location.....you either have to be in bed w Union, bosses, or both.....sick days, haha, they’re a joke..... you don’t get them all back when you leave, even if youre a goody-two-shoes and never take a day......yet if you use a sick day, you get bs for it from management and eventually out on sick control and watched by a pos superintendent w a power trip, trying to compensate.....If you’re on the list, and you will be as a new hire, it’s favoritism.....I’ve gotten mostly bs work bc I’m not a favorite (I keep my head down and dont socialize at work, I’m quiet and reserved and keep to myself and just do what I’m given) , yet  someone w less seniority than me who’s a brown noser gets helped out and will get a better day over me.....I can’t just get a straight 8 hours from 7-3 or 8-4, like most normal Americans. I’ve worked many 10-13 hour days, every day.....finished many times at 12 at night to be back at exactly 8am. Bc all transit needs is 8 hours, they don’t give a s#@t about your commute, sleep or life. I have no time to do my errands.  And my rdos are spent doing them, not relaxing and mentally preparing for another miserable week

People will say, oh transit is great money, benefits , yada yada....not really. I was talking to a co worker recently who shares my views....yea you can work here and afford to drive a fancy car, but working 12-14 hours a day to have that car sit in the lot....does that make sense? Me and him like a normal 8 hour shift.....good luck getting that, at normal daytime hours, like normal working people.....the money isn’t worth it when your life is spent at a miserable job. It’s what’s referred to in this job as “blood money”.....I’d like a family one day and I do have a life outside of work, even though transit disagrees, therefore, I don’t want to spend 12+ hours a day at transit... the money is NOT worth it, at least to me, if you can’t somewhat enjoy your life....and trust me, being on the list, you will have NO life, zero, nada, zip.....me and my co worker agree....we work to live, NOT live to work, especially at this lousy job....

I’m sure some will give me negative replies, saying if I’m so miserable, find another job.....I wish it was so easy.....bc I would, in a heartbeat.  However, I’ve made mistakes in life...my degree is useless, I went down lousy job paths for a decade, so I may be stuck w transit bc I have no other useful skill.  I can’t afford to go back to school and start again, nor do I have the time, thanks to this bs job.  One job I really liked is low pay.  

Don’t follow my mistakes, I most likely will be stuck Working this miserable job the rest of my life and being a miserable person....

So hotelsortransit and anyone else, I recommend stay where you’re at, if you’re happy.......

yes, years ago I thought transit would be a “great” job too....now my blood pressure is through the roof, anxiety through the roof, stress and aggravation through the roof, back and knee pain, I’m jaded and grew to loath society and people......all from working in civil service.  

That’s why every day, I try to find a new career.  I had no stress or aggravation or liability when driving a truck.... the money was ok, but similar hours as transit and not a prestigious job...and good luck trying To find a girl who wants a family w a truck driver....I try to go back to finish the career path I initially started out of hs....but, bc of transits bs hours, I dont have the time....thus, I’m stuck.  This job has NO life/work balance .

I can’t even enjoy my vacation bc all I do is think about going back and being miserable again.  Anxiety is bad due to the job.

So please hotelortransit, and anyone else waiting, take it from a current employee, if you’re happy where you’re at, STAY and forget transit. Most likely, You’ll eventually turn into me after working here a year....yea some people love the job, many don’t.  Personally, IMO those who say they love it and are always in a good mood, need a psych evaluation. The liability and bs is too high.....someone else said it perfectly, the culture sucks.   just the other day I had an a**hole cut me off last second and I had to brake.....if someone claimed an”injury” (and it’s happened before), guess who gets blamed and whose mvr will have a bs ‘personal injury’ on it??.....mine. Then you get to listen to management blame you, will sitting on their high horse behind a desk all day.....again, expect no union backup, unless you’re a favorite. I got called in once on a bs complaint and had to put the boss in place myself.....the union rep didn’t say one word .

This job is NOT worth your mental health, or happiness in life, or physical health.   

Then there are those who say, well you’ll get a pension.....lol, dont make me laugh .....Rumor has it the life expectancy of a transit employee at retirement is 1-2 years max...I heard one guy retired and didn’t collect his first pension check before he died of a heart attack from the stress built up over thirty years.....is it worth working this job for 25-30 years to have a year of enjoyment in retirement? I don’t think so....why do you think I’m waiting for subways??....I’m willing to take a BIG pay cut just to try something w hopefully a little less bs, aggravation, stress and anxiety.....though from Talking to subway employees, I hear it’s no better underground.  But I’m desperate to get out and will try it if I get called. 

So I need to do something else w my life and fast....I’m not dying or losing my mental health for this job.....yes we, including me, do get assaulted.    You’re set w a good job, I say STAY. I envy you that you’re happy w your job.

i hoped I helped wake some people up. Don’t think I’m a negative person, that’s just MY reality w transit as a job. If I could go back in life , i definitely would’ve done something else w my life. I’d never recommend transit as a career for my enemies, let alone anyone else. 

If if you want civil service, try fire or police. I tried both....but unfortunately bc I’m not in great physical shape, I couldn’t do either....and I hate myself every day for it. Bc life would’ve been better w one of those jobs...or sanitation...but bc I’m not a NYC resident, I don’t get five extra points which hurt my rank, so even though I scored high on the test, I’ll never get called.

Edited by Yks747

23 minutes ago, Yks747 said:

Nyctransitorhotels....I’ve seen your dilemma in past posts, but never said anything Bc I didn’t know what advice to give.  But bmpo7 post made me realize....if you want my opinion, F transit and stay where you’re at!!  That goes for anyone waiting for a transit job. I’m sure I’ll get some negative comments from people in here, but it’s my personal opinion, as an ACTIVE transit employee.  

I’ve been at transit for several years now and HATE it (that’s an UNDERstatement).....

....I’m miserable there EVERY SINGLE day and hate my life due to my job.....everyone who knows me knows I hate it, including bosses. The job sucks!  Ask my family....I take the stress home w me and hate waking up to have to do it all over again. 

Dealing w people’s bs piss poor attitudes ALL day/EVERY day, dirty looks, threats, getting yelled at and told how to do your job, being bitched at for EVERYthing (including being late, get used to that bs....it’s my fault traffic is a nightmare and people are slow and entitled w boarding—-it’s YOUR fault),  no respect, appreciation or gratitude....you help someone out and you don’t get a thank you....you get recorded all the time if you so much as look at them wrong....then you get called in for a complaint and management is always on the public’s side....many of which are scum. EVERYTHING is YOUR fault, per management.  You are treated like a pos all day long. 

Even w my years, I get LOUSY vacation, LOUSY days off, LOUSY and irregular hours.....it’s not fair for less senior workers, senior workers get everything:    Good vaction time, hours, work, pay, days off, time off...it’s not distributed in a fairer way........ good luck getting a day off, at least in my location.....you either have to be in bed w Union, bosses, or both.....sick days, haha, they’re a joke..... you don’t get them all back when you leave, even if youre a goody-two-shoes and never take a day......yet if you use a sick day, you get bs for it from management and eventually out on sick control and watched by a pos superintendent w a power trip, trying to compensate.....If you’re on the list, and you will be as a new hire, it’s favoritism.....I’ve gotten mostly bs work bc I’m not a favorite (I keep my head down and dont socialize at work, I’m quiet and reserved and keep to myself and just do what I’m given) , yet  someone w less seniority than me who’s a brown noser gets helped out and will get a better day over me.....I can’t just get a straight 8 hours from 7-3 or 8-4, like most normal Americans. I’ve worked many 10-13 hour days, every day.....finished many times at 12 at night to be back at exactly 8am. Bc all transit needs is 8 hours, they don’t give a s#@t about your commute, sleep or life. I have no time to do my errands.  And my rdos are spent doing them, not relaxing and mentally preparing for another miserable week

People will say, oh transit is great money, benefits , yada yada....not really. I was talking to a co worker recently who shares my views....yea you can work here and afford to drive a fancy car, but working 12-14 hours a day to have that car sit in the lot....does that make sense? Me and him like a normal 8 hour shift.....good luck getting that, at normal daytime hours, like normal working people.....the money isn’t worth it when your life is spent at a miserable job. It’s what’s referred to in this job as “blood money”.....I’d like a family one day and I do have a life outside of work, even though transit disagrees, therefore, I don’t want to spend 12+ hours a day at transit... the money is NOT worth it, at least to me, if you can’t somewhat enjoy your life....and trust me, being on the list, you will have NO life, zero, nada, zip.....me and my co worker agree....we work to live, NOT live to work, especially at this lousy job....

I’m sure some will give me negative replies, saying if I’m so miserable, find another job.....I wish it was so easy.....bc I would, in a heartbeat.  However, I’ve made mistakes in life...my degree is useless, I went down lousy job paths for a decade, so I may be stuck w transit bc I have no other useful skill.  I can’t afford to go back to school and start again, nor do I have the time, thanks to this bs job.  One job I really liked is low pay.  

Don’t follow my mistakes, I most likely will be stuck Working this miserable job the rest of my life and being a miserable person....

So hotelsortransit and anyone else, I recommend stay where you’re at, if you’re happy.......

yes, years ago I thought transit would be a “great” job too....now my blood pressure is through the roof, anxiety through the roof, stress and aggravation through the roof, back and knee pain, I’m jaded and grew to loath society and people......all from working in civil service.  

That’s why every day, I try to find a new career.  I had no stress or aggravation or liability when driving a truck.... the money was ok, but similar hours as transit and not a prestigious job...and good luck trying To find a girl who wants a family w a truck driver....I try to go back to finish the career path I initially started out of hs....but, bc of transits bs hours, I dont have the time....thus, I’m stuck.  This job has NO life/work balance .

I can’t even enjoy my vacation bc all I do is think about going back and being miserable again.  Anxiety is bad due to the job.

So please hotelortransit, and anyone else waiting, take it from a current employee, if you’re happy where you’re at, STAY and forget transit. Most likely, You’ll eventually turn into me after working here a year....yea some people love the job, many don’t.  Personally, IMO those who say they love it and are always in a good mood, need a psych evaluation. The liability and bs is too high.....someone else said it perfectly, the culture sucks.   just the other day I had an a**hole cut me off last second and I had to brake.....if someone claimed an”injury” (and it’s happened before), guess who gets blamed and whose mvr will have a bs ‘personal injury’ on it??.....mine. Then you get to listen to management blame you, will sitting on their high horse behind a desk all day.....again, expect no union backup, unless you’re a favorite. I got called in once on a bs complaint and had to put the boss in place myself.....the union rep didn’t say one word .

This job is NOT worth your mental health, or happiness in life, or physical health.   

Then there are those who say, well you’ll get a pension.....lol, dont make me laugh .....Rumor has it the life expectancy of a transit employee at retirement is 1-2 years max...I heard one guy retired and didn’t collect his first pension check before he died of a heart attack from the stress built up over thirty years.....is it worth working this job for 25-30 years to have a year of enjoyment in retirement? I don’t think so....why do you think I’m waiting for subways??....I’m willing to take a BIG pay cut just to try something w hopefully a little less bs, aggravation, stress and anxiety.....though from Talking to subway employees, I hear it’s no better underground.  But I’m desperate to get out and will try it if I get called. 

So I need to do something else w my life and fast....I’m not dying or losing my mental health for this job.....yes we, including me, do get assaulted.    You’re set w a good job, I say STAY. I envy you that you’re happy w your job.

i hoped I helped wake some people up. Don’t think I’m a negative person, that’s just MY reality w transit as a job. If I could go back in life , i definitely would’ve done something else w my life. I’d never recommend transit as a career for my enemies, let alone anyone else. 

I have a couple friends and a relative in transit in different depts, and oddly enough they tell me the same thing. The work environment is very hostile and stressful.. Like a lot. I have a good buddy of mine a t/o, he wants to get out asap and move up and do something else due to the insane pressure. It's like every job out there though to be fair. I'm honestly thinking about it to, I have it pretty good working with another city agency, but I always wanted to be in transit. I'm in my mid 30s now I wish I would of gotten called when I was younger. Have you tried moving up in position? 

1 hour ago, Yks747 said:

If if you want civil service, try fire or police. I tried both....but unfortunately bc I’m not in great physical shape, I couldn’t do either....and I hate myself every day for it. Bc life would’ve been better w one of those jobs...or sanitation...but bc I’m not a NYC resident, I don’t get five extra points which hurt my rank, so even though I scored high on the test, I’ll never get called.

Thanks for all the info. I hope you find some peace and some good outta your day. 

I work 8-330pm. I'm 3 in Seniority outta 13. I have Thursday Friday off. After 35 hrs is overtime. I get free food, which is pretty good. I could've had weekends off but my gf isn't off weekends so and more ot on Thursdays and Fridays from what I've seen lately. Going to almost $32 in July and almost $38 in December 2020. 

Just that pension attracts me. And some benefits. I get 8 sick days I can take em whenever I want. Me and a few co-workers are united at work and we'll we don't let shit slide. They missed calling me the other day for an overtime shift. I checked the call log, I claimed and am getting 7 hrs overtime for free. I get 3 personal days and 2 weeks vacation. I think transit also has a few more days than those. 

My Cousin not close immediate cousin but cousin nonetheless. Has told me I'd be a fool to not take the transit job. But hes a supervisory Electrician. I feel they have more pull and less of the bs. He gets paid very well and doesn't seem to hate his job. 

I thank you very much for your insight. And no one should give you shit for speaking your truth. Please try and get some help for the way you feel. Perhaps a psychiatrist or family, friends. Life is wayyyyyy too short to feel as you do. 

7 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

Yeah good luck with that here at transit. If pride is that important to you, definitely don't come here. Hence why I told you before hotels is WAY better than transit life no matter the pension.

You aren't wrong to feel that way, you're absolutely correct. But here at NYCT, abuse of power is a big issue and any TSS/supt. will make your job hell if they're feeling insecure and need to feel powerful. Real shame, this job has A LOT of potential, but the culture is horrible. 

(Sidenote: most TSS are pretty cool from my experience)

Thanks for the info. 

22 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

the Delta isn't the only one in the Bronx.  Some Bravo jobs that start during the rush hours,  as well as baseball/football specials. But mostly Bravo jobs. 

I'm a midnight conductor, 

What is Bravo? (lmao)

6 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I was PM's. It's the B. 

How long you've been on the road?  

I was joking... It is kind of lost in text. 

I rarely see a B train unless I am going to work. I am midnights. 

2 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Thanks for all the info. I hope you find some peace and some good outta your day. 

I work 8-330pm. I'm 3 in Seniority outta 13. I have Thursday Friday off. After 35 hrs is overtime. I get free food, which is pretty good. I could've had weekends off but my gf isn't off weekends so and more ot on Thursdays and Fridays from what I've seen lately. Going to almost $32 in July and almost $38 in December 2020. 

Just that pension attracts me. And some benefits. I get 8 sick days I can take em whenever I want. Me and a few co-workers are united at work and we'll we don't let shit slide. They missed calling me the other day for an overtime shift. I checked the call log, I claimed and am getting 7 hrs overtime for free. I get 3 personal days and 2 weeks vacation. I think transit also has a few more days than those. 

My Cousin not close immediate cousin but cousin nonetheless. Has told me I'd be a fool to not take the transit job. But hes a supervisory Electrician. I feel they have more pull and less of the bs. He gets paid very well and doesn't seem to hate his job. 

I thank you very much for your insight. And no one should give you shit for speaking your truth. Please try and get some help for the way you feel. Perhaps a psychiatrist or family, friends. Life is wayyyyyy too short to feel as you do. 

I'll be honest: I am sure most retail employees feel the way he does. And I'm sure you will feel the way at any job. 

The average corporate worker has a lot of shit to say about their boss and is under pressure to perform. You are going to wake up hating your job somedays, and loving it on others. 

When I was an engineer, I was working 50-70 hours a week on *salary.* 

Transit comparatively was a cake walk. I blame engineering for all of my grey hairs. 100%. Terrible field, worse pay. 

However, I've seen your posts before: you are in a very good job position. I'd save your money where you can, invest in a CD if you want hands off investing, and just have more than enough saved for when you retire. I wouldn't leave the hotels. You aren't going to making at Transit what you make there.

5 hours ago, Yks747 said:

If you don't mind me asking....what's your job title/position?

41 minutes ago, kellgh said:

I'll be honest: I am sure most retail employees feel the way he does. And I'm sure you will feel the way at any job. 

The average corporate worker has a lot of shit to say about their boss and is under pressure to perform. You are going to wake up hating your job somedays, and loving it on others. 

When I was an engineer, I was working 50-70 hours a week on *salary.* 

Transit comparatively was a cake walk. I blame engineering for all of my grey hairs. 100%. Terrible field, worse pay. 

However, I've seen your posts before: you are in a very good job position. I'd save your money where you can, invest in a CD if you want hands off investing, and just have more than enough saved for when you retire. I wouldn't leave the hotels. You aren't going to making at Transit what you make there.

Thanks for your opinion. Such a shame. There is such positivity on this thread. Perhaps all of you newer hires can change the culture of MTA.