Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Yks747 said:

Nyctransitorhotels...I’ve seen your dilemma in past posts, but never said anything because I didn’t know what advice to give, but bmpo7's post made me realize...if you want my opinion, F transit and stay where you’re at!  That goes for anyone waiting for a transit job. I’m sure I’ll get some negative comments from people in here, but it’s my personal opinion, as an ACTIVE transit employee.  

I’ve been at transit for several years now and HATE it (that’s an UNDERstatement)...

...I’m miserable there EVERY SINGLE day and hate my life due to my job...everyone who knows me knows I hate it, including bosses. The job sucks!  Ask my family...I take the stress home with me and hate waking up to have to do it all over again. 

Dealing with people’s bs piss poor attitudes ALL day/EVERY day, dirty looks, threats, getting yelled at and told how to do your job, being bitched at for EVERYthing (including being late, get used to that bs...it’s my fault traffic is a nightmare and people are slow and entitled w boarding—it’s YOUR fault), no respect, appreciation or gratitude...you help someone out and you don’t get a thank you...you get recorded all the time if you so much as look at them wrong...then you get called in for a complaint and management is always on the public’s side...many of which are scum. EVERYTHING is YOUR fault, per management. You are treated like a pos all day long. 

Even with my years, I get LOUSY vacation, LOUSY days off, LOUSY and irregular hours...it’s not fair for less senior workers, senior workers get everything: Good vaction time, hours, work, pay, days off, time off...it’s not distributed in a fairer way...good luck getting a day off, at least in my location...you either have to be in bed w Union, bosses, or both...sick days, haha, they’re a joke...you don’t get them all back when you leave, even if youre a goody-two-shoes and never take a day...yet if you use a sick day, you get bs for it from management and eventually out on sick control and watched by a pos superintendent w a power trip, trying to compensate...If you’re on the list, and you will be as a new hire, it’s favoritism...I’ve gotten mostly bs work bc I’m not a favorite (I keep my head down and dont socialize at work, I’m quiet and reserved and keep to myself and just do what I’m given), yet someone with less seniority than me who’s a brown noser gets helped out and will get a better day over me...I can’t just get a straight 8 hours from 7-3 or 8-4, like most normal Americans. I’ve worked many 10-13 hour days, every day...finished many times at 12 at night to be back at exactly 8am, because all transit needs is 8 hours, they don’t give a s#@t about your commute, sleep or life. I have no time to do my errands, and my rdos are spent doing them, not relaxing and mentally preparing for another miserable week

People will say, oh transit is great money, benefits , yada yada...not really. I was talking to a co-worker recently who shares my views...yea you can work here and afford to drive a fancy car, but working 12-14 hours a day to have that car sit in the lot...does that make sense? Me and him like a normal 8 hour shift...good luck getting that, at normal daytime hours, like normal working people...the money isn’t worth it when your life is spent at a miserable job. It’s what’s referred to in this job as “blood money”...I’d like a family one day and I do have a life outside of work, even though transit disagrees, therefore, I don’t want to spend 12+ hours a day at transit...the money is NOT worth it, at least to me, if you can’t somewhat enjoy your life...and trust me, being on the list, you will have NO life, zero, nada, zip...me and my co worker agree...we work to live, NOT live to work, especially at this lousy job...

I’m sure some will give me negative replies, saying if I’m so miserable, find another job...I wish it was so easy...bc I would, in a heartbeat.  However, I’ve made mistakes in life...my degree is useless, I went down lousy job paths for a decade, so I may be stuck w transit bc I have no other useful skill. I can’t afford to go back to school and start again, nor do I have the time, thanks to this bs job.  One job I really liked is low pay.  

Don’t follow my mistakes, I most likely will be stuck Working this miserable job the rest of my life and being a miserable person...

So hotelsortransit and anyone else, I recommend stay where you’re at, if you’re happy...

Yes, years ago I thought transit would be a “great” job too...now my blood pressure is through the roof, anxiety through the roof, stress and aggravation through the roof, back and knee pain, I’m jaded and grew to loath society and people...all from working in civil service.  

That’s why every day, I try to find a new career. I had no stress or aggravation or liability when driving a truck...the money was ok, but similar hours as transit and not a prestigious job...and good luck trying To find a girl who wants a family w a truck driver...I try to go back to finish the career path I initially started out of hs...but, bc of transits bs hours, I dont have the time...thus, I’m stuck.  This job has NO life/work balance.

I can’t even enjoy my vacation because all I do is think about going back and being miserable again. Anxiety is bad due to the job.

So please hotelortransit, and anyone else waiting, take it from a current employee, if you’re happy where you’re at, STAY and forget transit. Most likely, You’ll eventually turn into me after working here a year...yea some people love the job, many don’t. Personally, IMO those who say they love it and are always in a good mood, need a psych evaluation. The liability and bs is too high...someone else said it perfectly, the culture sucks. Just the other day I had an a**hole cut me off last second and I had to brake...if someone claimed an”injury” (and it’s happened before), guess who gets blamed and whose mvr will have a bs ‘personal injury’ on it?...mine. Then you get to listen to management blame you, will sitting on their high horse behind a desk all day...again, expect no union backup, unless you’re a favorite. I got called in once on a bs complaint and had to put the boss in place myself...the union rep didn’t say one word .

This job is NOT worth your mental health, or happiness in life, or physical health.   

Then there are those who say, well you’ll get a pension...lol, dont make me laugh...Rumor has it the life expectancy of a transit employee at retirement is 1-2 years max...I heard one guy retired and didn’t collect his first pension check before he died of a heart attack from the stress built up over thirty years...is it worth working this job for 25-30 years to have a year of enjoyment in retirement? I don’t think so...why do you think I’m waiting for subways?...I’m willing to take a BIG pay cut just to try something w hopefully a little less bs, aggravation, stress and anxiety...though from Talking to subway employees, I hear it’s no better underground. But I’m desperate to get out and will try it if I get called. 

So I need to do something else w my life and fast...I’m not dying or losing my mental health for this job...yes we, including me, do get assaulted.   You’re set w a good job, I say STAY. I envy you that you’re happy w your job.

i hoped I helped wake some people up. Don’t think I’m a negative person, that’s just MY reality with transit as a job. If I could go back in life, I definitely would’ve done something else with my life. I’d never recommend transit as a career for my enemies, let alone anyone else. 

If you want civil service, try fire or police. I tried both...but unfortunately bc I’m not in great physical shape, I couldn’t do either...and I hate myself every day for it. Bc life would’ve been better w one of those jobs...or sanitation...but bc I’m not a NYC resident, I don’t get five extra points which hurt my rank, so even though I scored high on the test, I’ll never get called.

When you're sworn in to work for the MTA, NYPD, FDNY, NYCDOC, or SDNY, it's under the condition that you will forfeit your life and enslave yourself to serve the public. A job title with any of those city agencies will pay you, but you will pay the price in the end. You will consistently struggle to get adequate sleep at night for decades because of the inhuman expectations of those in charge of your schedule who think 8 hours between jobs is "enough." You will constantly be under such an unhealthy level of stress every single day that it'll prize you with a hefty diagnosis of depression, anxiety, or even both. You will miss your children's birthdays, family BBQ's, prevent any friendships from forming (let alone being able to maintain), your wife will distance herself from you because you're never home to provide her with the companionship she's with you for, and to top it all off you will shorten your lifespan every year you suffer working in an environment that you so desperately want out of. There are people who enjoy working for transit, but the majority of those are miserable there, and the only reason they drag themselves to work everyday is because of a pension they're promised towards the end of their careers. ("lifetimes") No amount of enthusiasm I have for buses and trains will convince me to auction away my life. Keep looking for a more meaningful path in life. Your persistence will pay off.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

1 hour ago, kellgh said:

I'll be honest: I am sure most retail employees feel the way he does. And I'm sure you will feel the way at any job. 

The average corporate worker has a lot of shit to say about their boss and is under pressure to perform. You are going to wake up hating your job somedays, and loving it on others. 

When I was an engineer, I was working 50-70 hours a week on *salary.* 

Transit comparatively was a cake walk. I blame engineering for all of my grey hairs. 100%. Terrible field, worse pay. 

However, I've seen your posts before: you are in a very good job position. I'd save your money where you can, invest in a CD if you want hands off investing, and just have more than enough saved for when you retire. I wouldn't leave the hotels. You aren't going to making at Transit what you make there.

I agree with this. I was also at corporate and took a huge paycut to come to transit. This is a cake walk compared to corporate. MOST people feel the same way about their jobs as Yk does.

Perception is everything in life and the grass is always greener on the other side. I know NYPD officers and DSNY workers who feel the same way about their jobs. You absolutely absolutely absolutely do not have to ever take your job home here at transit, ever. Come in, open and close your doors safely, make your annoucements, collect your paycheck, go home. You really shouldn't take anything personal. That goes for any public service job.

The whole "lifespan" thing is b.s. Statistically yes its true. However, working here at transit, have you seen in what shape these guys/gals are in? Obesity is crazy here and because the job isn't physically demanding, plus people don't take care of themselves, of course lifespan will be short. Also, how many transit workers you see here that just WONT leave even when they can? Its understandable, when you have the senior jobs they have and some of them are literally doing 1 trip, or cleaning out trains, etc. People don't retire at 55 like they should plus don't take care of themselves, so of course the whole "lifespan after retirement" numbers will look scary. 

My advice to new guys: this can be a great career for anyone, most of it is under your control. Come in with the right attitude.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bmpo7 said:

I agree with this. I was also at corporate and took a huge paycut to come to transit. This is a cake walk compared to corporate. MOST people feel the same way about their jobs as Yk does.

Perception is everything in life and the grass is always greener on the other side. I know NYPD officers and DSNY workers who feel the same way about their jobs. You absolutely absolutely absolutely do not have to ever take your job home here at transit, ever. Come in, open and close your doors safely, make your annoucements, collect your paycheck, go home. You really shouldn't take anything personal. That goes for any public service job.

The whole "lifespan" thing is b.s. Statistically yes its true. However, working here at transit, have you seen in what shape these guys/gals are in? Obesity is crazy here and because the job isn't physically demanding, plus people don't take care of themselves, of course lifespan will be short. Also, how many transit workers you see here that just WONT leave even when they can? Its understandable, when you have the senior jobs they have and some of them are literally doing 1 trip, or cleaning out trains, etc. People don't retire at 55 like they should plus don't take care of themselves, so of course the whole "lifespan after retirement" numbers will look scary. 

My advice to new guys: this can be a great career for anyone, most of it is under your control. Come in with the right attitude.

Great post some people are just full of it If that person really hated their job so much and believed "life is too short" they would've quit a long time ago.

I don't get how someone can claim the majority of transit workers hate their jobs when they haven't even met half of the population that works here. EVERY JOB has BS that comes with it no matter where you go, the beauty with this job is you don't have to stay a C/R forever there's ample amount of promotional oppurtunities within transit and it increases if you have a post secondary education. I started at 21 and there's no way in hell I'm going to remain a C/R for the 33+ years I have to do down here shoot one TSS I've met told me I better since I'm going to "live down here" lol.

Like you said there's people here that get paid 8 hours and they're only on the train for maybe 4 hours tops, with weekends and holidays off. Or those trip and a half jobs where you're only at work for 6 hours and they pay you dead head time. Yeah this job is sooooo terrible. Obviously stuff like that takes time to be able to pick, but keep in mind C/R is probaboy the fastest moving title in transit.

There's a reason over 30k people took this test.

BTW speaking of 1 trippers, guess what I have tomorrow right before my RDO's? :D

4 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Great post some people are just full of it If that person really hated their job so much and believed "life is too short" they would've quit a long time ago.

I don't get how someone can claim the majority of transit workers hate their jobs when they haven't even met half of the population that works here. EVERY JOB has BS that comes with it no matter where you go, the beauty with this job is you don't have to stay a C/R forever there's ample amount of promotional oppurtunities within transit and it increases if you have a post secondary education. I started at 21 and there's no way in hell I'm going to remain a C/R for the 33+ years I have to do down here shoot one TSS I've met told me I better since I'm going to "live down here" lol.

Like you said there's people here that get paid 8 hours and they're only on the train for maybe 4 hours tops, with weekends and holidays off. Or those trip and a half jobs where you're only at work for 6 hours and they pay you dead head time. Yeah this job is sooooo terrible. Obviously stuff like that takes time to be able to pick, but keep in mind C/R is probaboy the fastest moving title in transit.

There's a reason over 30k people took this test.

BTW speaking of 1 trippers, guess what I have tomorrow right before my RDO's? :D

What are trippers and rods I'm not a c/r yet so just curious lol

On 5/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, Schecter said:

What are trippers and rods I'm not a c/r yet so just curious lol

RDO = regular days off. 

A trip (some people call them trippers as slang) lets use the 5 line as an example. Going from DYRE to FLA is considered half a trip. Going back up to DYRE from FLA is considered 1 trip.

17 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

RDO = regular days off. 

A trip (some people call them trippers as slang) lets use the 5 line as an example. Going from DYRE to FLA is considered half a trip. Going back up to DYRE from FLA is considered 1 trip.

Oh so round trip is considered 1 trip so like from the 7 from yards to main street, and then main street to Hudson yards would be 1 trip? How many trips are usually in a 8 hour shift, I know it varies but give or take how long would you say?

12 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Oh so round trip is considered 1 trip so like from the 7 from yards to main street, and then main street to Hudson yards would be 1 trip? How many trips are usually in a 8 hour shift, I know it varies but give or take how long would you say?

Depending on which line you are on, it could be 3, could be 4, could even be 5 or just 1.5

1 hour ago, Sally08 said:

My seniority just went up..there’s word of TA hiring 100+ new conductors...congrats to anyone coming in this summer!!! 

I wonder if they'll reach the mid 1400s!!! And do you know when in the summer? 

Edited by Schecter

24 minutes ago, VIP said:

June/July 2019 for C/R school car.

So then they have to start send letters out for people to do their PEs all over again and then email them for their medical before then? Because I did my first PE back in February for C/R.

I appreciate all the good information I've been getting from this forum. List number 18** and I think I will be called late this year or early next year. I'm in a bit of a dilemma though, I currently live in CT Stratford and was concerned about the schedule of a conductor considering that I travel a long way. Does anybody know the different schedules you can possibly have throughout the conductor position, you know 9-5, 3-11, etc? Also since I'm coming from Stratford, what division should I choose if given the opportunity to pick since I would be making the commute into Grand Central? Thank you all 

2 hours ago, J Cooper said:

I appreciate all the good information I've been getting from this forum. List number 18** and I think I will be called late this year or early next year. I'm in a bit of a dilemma though, I currently live in CT Stratford and was concerned about the schedule of a conductor considering that I travel a long way. Does anybody know the different schedules you can possibly have throughout the conductor position, you know 9-5, 3-11, etc? Also since I'm coming from Stratford, what division should I choose if given the opportunity to pick since I would be making the commute into Grand Central? Thank you all 

If you have the choice, choose A division. Also schedules are broken down into three tours; AM, PM, and Midnights. There’s no “End time” per say but there’s Start times (as a probationary) so example is; if you’re on the AM tour, you can potentially start your trip anywhere from 4am up to 11:59am. School car is the only event that you are scheduled 7a-3p, 9a-5p, and 3p-11p for six weeks. 

Edited by VIP

3 hours ago, J Cooper said:

Considering you live in Connecticut and have to take the Metro-North, choose A division. Only B division trains I can think of that can connect to the Metro-North are the (B) (weekdays and evenings only) and the (D) at Yankee Stadium and the rest of the Concourse line

6 hours ago, Toba817 said:

Hey guys, I have another question. How come at times, for example an R terminates at 71st continental, and it takes a while for the conductor to open the doors, why is that? Is there a process that is happening? 

Conductor gotta dezone & change positions so the new position can already be established for the opposite direction. 

9 hours ago, Toba817 said:

Hey guys, I have another question. How come at times, for example an R terminates at 71st continental, and it takes a while for the conductor to open the doors, why is that? Is there a process that is happening? 

The only exception is on weekdays at Continental during the AMs, C/Rs on the (M) and (R) don't have to dezone. And the next conductor comes on and closes the doors. On the (7) C/Rs don't have to dezone. The other exception is if the train is going out if service upon arrival, then the C/R just has to open on the operating cab

Edited by AngelRC