Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Hey I just received my first pre employment request to come in May 20.  Does anyone know how many pre employment visits one must attend and how long in between those visits, before given a start date?  Taking into account that the drug test comes back okay and all documents handed in. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Schecter said:

Yeah the guy said make sure you bring everything that's listed. I'm like yeah but I brought them in before in February for my first PE and he said "make sure you bring everything on that list, it doesn't matter how many times you brought them in." So basicslly just bring everything again don't forget anything before you delay the process and then you'll be waiting longerrrr!!!

Yeah, bring your docs everytime you go, regardless of what stage you're at with the hiring.

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I’m aware of that but I bring this up because that city request for hiring 200 conductors also included a request for 200 plus train ops. Just curious.

My name is on the requested for Conductor I'm in the low 1900's.  I saw up to 2000 I didn't wanna keep looking all says requested. 

Maybe all these people will get their first pre employment info not sure. Cause I didn't get an email nor a call. Which I'm glad for because even though I'm probably not taking the job just in case would be better later as I'm going to Colombia & Argentina Next week for 3 weeks. 

31 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

My name is on the requested for Conductor I'm in the low 1900's.  I saw up to 2000 I didn't wanna keep looking all says requested. 

Maybe all these people will get their first pre employment info not sure. Cause I didn't get an email nor a call. Which I'm glad for because even though I'm probably not taking the job just in case would be better later as I'm going to Colombia & Argentina Next week for 3 weeks. 

They probably only called/emailed the 200 people that they need.

3 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

You'll probably get called in during the fall or winter. If they keep on needing 200 people. We'll all be future co workers and friends down in the tubes lol

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Yeah, bring your docs everytime you go, regardless of what stage you're at with the hiring.

Random question but do you know when we bring our homework in? Would it only be needed during the medical portion or the hiring process or after that because I still have my homework from my first PE which was back in the beginning of February of 2019.

29 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Random question but do you know when we bring our homework in? Would it only be needed during the medical portion or the hiring process or after that because I still have my homework from my first PE which was back in the beginning of February of 2019.

You bring that in when you are called in for Medical/Final Processing 

4 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

You bring that in when you are called in for Medical/Final Processing 

So medical and final processing are the same thing? So when they email me for my medical that's when I'll bring it in all completed right?

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

You'll probably get called in during the fall or winter. If they keep on needing 200 people. We'll all be future co workers and friends down in the tubes lol

Hey guys quick question....how come when I type my name on that website in the search bar on the upper right corner it doesn't show my name on the Conductor list, even though it was there before previously? 

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

So medical and final processing are the same thing? So when they email me for my medical that's when I'll bring it in all completed right?

Correct. This PE (pre employment) is just like the last one. You'll end the day at the lab taking your drug test again.  Medical and Final Processing is both on the same day you get called in for that. That's when you bring in your "homework". You'll be taking your medical exam then afterward get called into an office where they'll go thru your application (the "homework"). Now,  if they don't call you in for medical/final processing within 90 days of your drug test,  you get call in for pre employment (the drug test) again. 

18 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Correct. This PE (pre employment) is just like the last one. You'll end the day at the lab taking your drug test again.  Medical and Final Processing is both on the same day you get called in for that. That's when you bring in your "homework". You'll be taking your medical exam then afterward get called into an office where they'll go thru your application (the "homework"). Now,  if they don't call you in for medical/final processing within 90 days of your drug test,  you get call in for pre employment (the drug test) again. 

Do you think they'll reach the 1460s before the 90 days?

31 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Do you think they'll reach the 1460s before the 90 days?

Thats something that can't really be answered.  Given that they need 200 conductors,  it's more than likely yet,  if they fill up one class before then,  and not have another scheduled,  they may not.   This is Transit.   Nothing is really in a set time frame with them. It's one of those questions asked by many (how long..?  When..?  Will they..?) That no one can really definitely answer.  

When people. Were told "take the test and go about your life untill you're called" they weren't kidding.   Same thing applies when you get the PE call.   

I had my first PE for this test a year ago. 

Transit can be like the military: "Hurry up and wait"

4 minutes ago, Jay0989 said:

Called TA. Date will be given on Monday. Early June tentative. 

I wonder how many people will be in that class... and I wonder how it'll be given on Monday if most of us have our 2nd or 1000th PE next week hmmmm

Edited by Schecter

7 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I wonder how many people will be in that class... and I wonder how it'll be given on Monday if most of us have our 2nd or 1000th PE next week hmmmm

They will have the class date on Monday, which is tentative for early June. Sorry for any confusion. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Thanks for all the info. I hope you find some peace and some good outta your day. 

I work 8-330pm. I'm 3 in Seniority outta 13. I have Thursday Friday off. After 35 hrs is overtime. I get free food, which is pretty good. I could've had weekends off but my gf isn't off weekends so and more ot on Thursdays and Fridays from what I've seen lately. Going to almost $32 in July and almost $38 in December 2020. 

Just that pension attracts me. And some benefits. I get 8 sick days I can take em whenever I want. Me and a few co-workers are united at work and we'll we don't let shit slide. They missed calling me the other day for an overtime shift. I checked the call log, I claimed and am getting 7 hrs overtime for free. I get 3 personal days and 2 weeks vacation. I think transit also has a few more days than those. 

My Cousin not close immediate cousin but cousin nonetheless. Has told me I'd be a fool to not take the transit job. But hes a supervisory Electrician. I feel they have more pull and less of the bs. He gets paid very well and doesn't seem to hate his job. 

I thank you very much for your insight. And no one should give you shit for speaking your truth. Please try and get some help for the way you feel. Perhaps a psychiatrist or family, friends. Life is wayyyyyy too short to feel as you do. 

You make more now than a conductor at top pay lol why would you leave? Pension- you have to work like crazy to build it up, say goodbye to your girlfriend on thurs & fri

Why does Conductors whom are on probation have to watch out for voluntary OT otherwise they will get in trouble? Like I said before on my perviously post, Im young with not too many responsibilities. I would love to do the most OT that I can while still watching my health and sleep.