Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

7 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Why does Conductors whom are on probation have to watch out for voluntary OT otherwise they will get in trouble? Like I said before on my perviously post, Im young with not too many responsibilities. I would love to do the most OT that I can while still watching my health and sleep.

The crew office would make sure you have 12 hour rest between jobs. The OT will come but they will make sure you have 12 hours in between jobs. The dispatcher may ask if you want to do OT as well ask what time you work the next day

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Why does Conductors whom are on probation have to watch out for voluntary OT otherwise they will get in trouble? Like I said before on my perviously post, Im young with not too many responsibilities. I would love to do the most OT that I can while still watching my health and sleep.

Sleep and health are really important, imagine being a conductor with barely any sleep, many mistakes can happen. And plus imagine doint a 16 hour shift like let's say 4pm till 12 midnight and then midnight till 8am, and then have to be back at 4pm the next day. By the time you get hope it'll probably be like 9 or 10 the time you actually fall asleep it'll be time to wake up again.

23 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Sleep and health are really important, imagine being a conductor with barely any sleep, many mistakes can happen. And plus imagine doint a 16 hour shift like let's say 4pm till 12 midnight and then midnight till 8am, and then have to be back at 4pm the next day. By the time you get hope it'll probably be like 9 or 10 the time you actually fall asleep it'll be time to wake up again.

58 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Because you put yourself at risk for something to happen the more days u work..plus as extra extra you get plenty OT from being on board etc.

As a CO, voluntary and involuntary OT is normal. We also get only 10 hrs between tours and thats if we put what’s called a time due. Which comes out of compensation time. OT for MTA sounds light compared to DOC.  

28 minutes ago, ENY487 said:

As a CO, voluntary and involuntary OT is normal. We also get only 10 hrs between tours and thats if we put what’s called a time due. Which comes out of compensation time. OT for MTA sounds light compared to DOC.  

I heard DOC has mandatory OT my cousin works at rikers and says she has to stay when they ask no ifs or buts. But yeah imagine it like this you go to work with only a few hours of sleep and open the doors on the wrong side and passengers love leaning on doors... you'll be in deep trouble... 

Absolutely. You’ll be a liability. A friend of mine who switched from conductor to T/O said 16 hr days a rare and OT can be on the platform or doing other things. He mentioned that there are many paths for conductors. I’m on the fence jumping over because of pay but quality of life and a peace of mind sounds more appealing. 

2 minutes ago, ENY487 said:

Absolutely. You’ll be a liability. A friend of mine who switched from conductor to T/O said 16 hr days a rare and OT can be on the platform or doing other things. He mentioned that there are many paths for conductors. I’m on the fence jumping over because of pay but quality of life and a peace of mind sounds more appealing. 

They have platform conductors you mean the guys with the flashlights on the platform lol

1 hour ago, J Cooper said:

Is it true that OT starts after your regular 8 hour shift? I work a 9-5 Monday - Friday right now and OT starts after to make 40 hours in a work week.

Anything after 8 hours in transit is considered OT

Any advice with filling out the paperwork? I just got my letter. And also I was released from the navy with a general discharge, admin discharge cause I missed too many days because of an injury bot those people didn't care. Not sure if I will qualify.

3 hours ago, NUSN said:

Any advice with filling out the paperwork? I just got my letter. And also I was released from the navy with a general discharge, admin discharge cause I missed too many days because of an injury bot those people didn't care. Not sure if I will qualify.

Just answer the questions they ask for and don't be afraid to ask for help. If you explain you were discharged from the Navy due to injury, should be no problem

I really can’t remember everywhere I’ve worked. I’ve left a lot of jobs when I was younger to do something different and I was even fired from a couple. Will this disqualify me? 

11 minutes ago, NUSN said:

I really can’t remember everywhere I’ve worked. I’ve left a lot of jobs when I was younger to do something different and I was even fired from a couple. Will this disqualify me? 

Well, all they want to know is from present to highschool. Even years you were unemployed.

I have to go in Monday May 20th to start my pre employment so more than likely if all goes well I’ll be in the July class correct? Cause I would still have to do the drug screening and the medical. 

1 minute ago, NUSN said:

I have to go in Monday May 20th to start my pre employment so more than likely if all goes well I’ll be in the July class correct? Cause I would still have to do the drug screening and the medical. 

You do drug screening at pre employment. And you won’t do the medical till they reach your list number. Apparently they are at 1320 so whatever so your number is you can get a feel for if you think they will call you for next class or not. 

1 hour ago, J Cooper said:

Is this 200 for each June 10th and July 14th or 200 total?

The guy and the TSS who was there didn't say he just said that he's holding a class on June 10th and then July 14th he said they might call more people than they need but that's all that was said.