Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
whatisacup

Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Why does Conductors whom are on probation have to watch out for voluntary OT otherwise they will get in trouble? Like I said before on my perviously post, Im young with not too many responsibilities. I would love to do the most OT that I can while still watching my health and sleep.

The crew office would make sure you have 12 hour rest between jobs. The OT will come but they will make sure you have 12 hours in between jobs. The dispatcher may ask if you want to do OT as well ask what time you work the next day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Why does Conductors whom are on probation have to watch out for voluntary OT otherwise they will get in trouble? Like I said before on my perviously post, Im young with not too many responsibilities. I would love to do the most OT that I can while still watching my health and sleep.

Sleep and health are really important, imagine being a conductor with barely any sleep, many mistakes can happen. And plus imagine doint a 16 hour shift like let's say 4pm till 12 midnight and then midnight till 8am, and then have to be back at 4pm the next day. By the time you get hope it'll probably be like 9 or 10 the time you actually fall asleep it'll be time to wake up again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Sleep and health are really important, imagine being a conductor with barely any sleep, many mistakes can happen. And plus imagine doint a 16 hour shift like let's say 4pm till 12 midnight and then midnight till 8am, and then have to be back at 4pm the next day. By the time you get hope it'll probably be like 9 or 10 the time you actually fall asleep it'll be time to wake up again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Why does Conductors whom are on probation have to watch out for voluntary OT otherwise they will get in trouble? Like I said before on my perviously post, Im young with not too many responsibilities. I would love to do the most OT that I can while still watching my health and sleep.

Because you put yourself at risk for something to happen the more days u work..plus as extra extra you get plenty OT from being on board etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a CO, voluntary and involuntary OT is normal. We also get only 10 hrs between tours and thats if we put what’s called a time due. Which comes out of compensation time. OT for MTA sounds light compared to DOC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ENY487 said:

As a CO, voluntary and involuntary OT is normal. We also get only 10 hrs between tours and thats if we put what’s called a time due. Which comes out of compensation time. OT for MTA sounds light compared to DOC.  

I heard DOC has mandatory OT my cousin works at rikers and says she has to stay when they ask no ifs or buts. But yeah imagine it like this you go to work with only a few hours of sleep and open the doors on the wrong side and passengers love leaning on doors... you'll be in deep trouble... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. You’ll be a liability. A friend of mine who switched from conductor to T/O said 16 hr days a rare and OT can be on the platform or doing other things. He mentioned that there are many paths for conductors. I’m on the fence jumping over because of pay but quality of life and a peace of mind sounds more appealing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ENY487 said:

Absolutely. You’ll be a liability. A friend of mine who switched from conductor to T/O said 16 hr days a rare and OT can be on the platform or doing other things. He mentioned that there are many paths for conductors. I’m on the fence jumping over because of pay but quality of life and a peace of mind sounds more appealing. 

They have platform conductors you mean the guys with the flashlights on the platform lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it true that OT starts after your regular 8 hour shift? I work a 9-5 Monday - Friday right now and OT starts after to make 40 hours in a work week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Cooper said:

Is it true that OT starts after your regular 8 hour shift? I work a 9-5 Monday - Friday right now and OT starts after to make 40 hours in a work week.

Anything after 8 hours in transit is considered OT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, J Cooper said:

That's Amazing!

All Union jobs are like that. Anytime you're not scheduled to be there is overtime. I'm just a bit confused how the mta union isn't that present. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any advice with filling out the paperwork? I just got my letter. And also I was released from the navy with a general discharge, admin discharge cause I missed too many days because of an injury bot those people didn't care. Not sure if I will qualify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NUSN said:

Any advice with filling out the paperwork? I just got my letter. And also I was released from the navy with a general discharge, admin discharge cause I missed too many days because of an injury bot those people didn't care. Not sure if I will qualify.

Just answer the questions they ask for and don't be afraid to ask for help. If you explain you were discharged from the Navy due to injury, should be no problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can’t remember everywhere I’ve worked. I’ve left a lot of jobs when I was younger to do something different and I was even fired from a couple. Will this disqualify me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NUSN said:

I really can’t remember everywhere I’ve worked. I’ve left a lot of jobs when I was younger to do something different and I was even fired from a couple. Will this disqualify me? 

Well, all they want to know is from present to highschool. Even years you were unemployed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Schecter said:

Okay guys I'm at 180 right now and they told the conductors that the next class is on June 10th and the next one after that is July 14th.

Is this 200 for each June 10th and July 14th or 200 total?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

Is this 200 for each June 10th and July 14th or 200 total?

It's 200 total. But I seriously doubt each class is going to be 100. They usually do 30-60. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to go in Monday May 20th to start my pre employment so more than likely if all goes well I’ll be in the July class correct? Cause I would still have to do the drug screening and the medical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NUSN said:

I have to go in Monday May 20th to start my pre employment so more than likely if all goes well I’ll be in the July class correct? Cause I would still have to do the drug screening and the medical. 

You do drug screening at pre employment. And you won’t do the medical till they reach your list number. Apparently they are at 1320 so whatever so your number is you can get a feel for if you think they will call you for next class or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Cooper said:

Is this 200 for each June 10th and July 14th or 200 total?

The guy and the TSS who was there didn't say he just said that he's holding a class on June 10th and then July 14th he said they might call more people than they need but that's all that was said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.