Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

On 5/17/2019 at 7:01 PM, Schecter said:

So I need people's opinion if you don't mind... should I give up on waiting for t/o to call me and just stick with conductor or should I give up on conductor and try going for t/o when ever they reach my list number which might be by the fall of this year? I'm having a hard time deciding which to go to.

Coming in as a C/R will help you as a T/O. As of recent there were some new T/O's who got semt back to schoolcar for reinstruction because of too many incidents happening with new T/O's. It's very serious title and there's so much you have to learn in such a short amount of time. You'll be familarized with the system in terms of Reporting locations, how to read GO's/supplements, lingo, etc... and be in a better position than someone from off the street.

Both lists won't expire until 2022, why not give C/R a shot until you finish probation and then go up front. 

Oh yeah rule 2d is another reason. :)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Coming in as a C/R will help you as a T/O. As of recent there were some new T/O's who got semt back to schoolcar for reinstruction because of too many incidents happening with new T/O's. It's very serious title and there's so much you have to learn in such a short amount of time. You'll be familarized with the system in terms of Reporting locations, how to read GO's/supplements, lingo, etc... and be in a better position than someone from off the street.

Both lists won't expire until 2022, why not give C/R a shot until you finish probation and then go up front. 

I was going to apply for the last conductor test but didn’t have the cash at the time. I would’ve preferred starting there too but it is what it is. And I had the cash for t/o so just gotta go with what calls and do my best. 

3 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

This is subject to opinion, to me. The only good thing about being promotional is that if you fail or it’s not for you, you can go back to prior title! But in terms of operation and signals, I honestly don’t think being a conductor means anything compared to being open competitive (I hate that off the street term). I seen a conductor barely make it through the mid-term, then there was the conductor that split the switches in CIY, just put in the time studying and ask questions if you don’t get something! If the job is for you, it’s for you, if not, it will show! 

43 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah just in my dream job doing either conductor or t/o I was just asking because both exams are close to my list number.

Up to you, it’s how you feel and how much you believe in yourself. I would def do conductor and work my way up. But power to you if you believe you can go right into train operator. 

47 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah just in my dream job doing either conductor or t/o I was just asking because both exams are close to my list number.

Yeah go with what you think you will be comfort with. The material isn’t as difficult as they make it seem as long as you apply yourself. 

2 hours ago, Imhim said:

This is subject to opinion, to me. The only good thing about being promotional is that if you fail or it’s not for you, you can go back to prior title! But in terms of operation and signals, I honestly don’t think being a conductor means anything compared to being open competitive (I hate that off the street term). I seen a conductor barely make it through the mid-term, then there was the conductor that split the switches in CIY, just put in the time studying and ask questions if you don’t get something! If the job is for you, it’s for you, if not, it will show! 

That's the benefit, I have a decade with a city agency that makes as much a s conductor at base pay. If they take a promo test  at t/o and they fail... They still at C/r position. If I  take that risk and get a 99% I fail and I'm fired according to the thread and regulations also, Operator experience. 

9 hours ago, Imhim said:

I agree that if the job is for you or not it will show and that it depends on the person, but I can’t agree that the only benefit you have is the ability to go back to your previous title. Someone who started as a conductor will be familiarized with the system and how things work compared to (sorry I have to use it) someone coming fresh off the street. Like I said before there is a lot you have to learn and T/o is a very serious title. Reading GO’s/supplements, points of no returns, lingo used down here/how to use the radio, getting used to being XX and adjusting to the hectic schedules, experience on the road, etc... just some of the things that someone starting as a C/R will have under their belt as opposed to someone brand new to transit and having to learn all of that on top of how to operate a train. 

Just because someone started as a C/R doesn’t mean they will be a better T/o than someone fresh off the street that I can agree on, but someone who started from the middle will have an easier transition to going up front than someone brand new to transit. 

@Schecter 2d- employees whose duties are concerned with the actual operations of the rapid transit system must be conversant with the rules governing the duties of other employees similarly engaged.

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

I agree that if the job is for you or not it will show and that it depends on the person, but I can’t agree that the only benefit you have is the ability to go back to your previous title. Someone who started as a conductor will be familiarized with the system and how things work compared to (sorry I have to use it) someone coming fresh off the street. Like I said before there is a lot you have to learn and T/o is a very serious title. Reading GO’s/supplements, points of no returns, lingo used down here/how to use the radio, getting used to being XX and adjusting to the hectic schedules, experience on the road, etc... just some of the things that someone starting as a C/R will have under their belt as opposed to someone brand new to transit and having to learn all of that on top of how to operate a train. 

Just because someone started as a C/R doesn’t mean they will be a better T/o than someone fresh off the street that I can agree on, but someone who started from the middle will have an easier transition to going up front than someone brand new to transit. 

@Schecter 2d- employees whose duties are concerned with the actual operations of the rapid transit system must be conversant with the rules governing the duties of other employees similarly engaged.

I understand all that, but again I gotta play devil advocate and say that some of those things; schedule, radio use, reading GOs/Supplements, lingo (some of which they tell you in school car not to use lol) can come easy if you held a job in the transportation field, not just being a conductor. Only reason I seem like I’m going back and forth is because I’ve seen first hand conductor’s go back, get forced back, really struggle in the classroom and I feel like the title has nothing to do with it. Yeah it’s a little helpful, but if you hate having ya schedule changed and being sent uptown all the time and live in Brooklyn, coming from the middle isn’t going to “help” make it easier lol. Again every situation is different, so I simply say to those who are on both list, go with what makes you comfortable and with what you know you skill set can handle. 

21 hours ago, monksareus said:

hey guys question im in the 1200s and i have sent back the letter declining the preemployment back in february...reading that folks got a letter this month and i havent received anything. am i off the list? 

I believe so if u declined or didnt show up for pre employment 

23 hours ago, monksareus said:

hey guys question im in the 1200s and i have sent back the letter declining the preemployment back in february...reading that folks got a letter this month and i havent received anything. am i off the list? 

Yeah since you declined you would most likely be off the list and since you also never showed up for your PE they'll most likely think you didn't want the job.

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

Yeah since you declined you would most likely be off the list and since you also never showed up for your PE they'll most likely think you didn't want the job.

I actually called about this. On the letter it says if you dont want the job anymore just ignore this letter. You also have an option to decline and mail the letter in and stay on the list. You have to call them though when you want to come back in for the PE. I believe you get 3 declines and then you're taken off the list.

Hey guys, I just went for pre employment for my second time yesterday. I am in list #15xx. My question is, I have a pending red light ticket that has been at dispute since 2017 but DMV has kept moving it back and it is currently scheduled for November of this year. Will they let me move forward with a pending ticket or should I plead guilty and get it over with so I can move forward with my processing? Any answers would be very helpful, thanks.

23 hours ago, Schecter said:

No they only take a urine sample.

On the form it says Drug and Alcohol. I was out last night watching the bucks game and I had a couple beers. I’m waiting to take my lab now. I hope that doesn’t disqualify me. 

21 minutes ago, NUSN said:

On the form it says Drug and Alcohol. I was out last night watching the bucks game and I had a couple beers. I’m waiting to take my lab now. I hope that doesn’t disqualify me. 

Yeah I thought the same but they only do a urine sample only. You'll be 1000% okay trust me.

34 minutes ago, NUSN said:

The alcohol portion,  consisting of a breathalyzer, happens during randoms.  You're fine. 

3 hours ago, Twistmatic said:

Hey guys, I just went for pre employment for my second time yesterday. I am in list #15xx. My question is, I have a pending red light ticket that has been at dispute since 2017 but DMV has kept moving it back and it is currently scheduled for November of this year. Will they let me move forward with a pending ticket or should I plead guilty and get it over with so I can move forward with my processing? Any answers would be very helpful, thanks.

Every time I’ve taken my pre employment (4x already), they mention outstanding parking and moving violations need to be satisfied. If it’s not much money and no points, i would just pay it

3 hours ago, Twistmatic said:

You have to resolve it. Doesn’t matter if you win or lose case. In other words, for your situation plead guilty and be done with it ASAP. cause you can’t go through pre employment unless it’s resolved.