Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

21 hours ago, Jay0989 said:

Hi all. When you get called for medical, do you get your start date the day of medical? Or do you wait for another email with the official offer?

You will get two pieces of paper with your official start date on it

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, hitech67 said:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. My list # is 19** and haven't gotten any PE or medical. When should I expect anything in the mail since I'm worried I'll get something when Im on vacation in July or August.

You have 2 years at best. Enjoy your vacation.

2 minutes ago, goukix said:

Yes, last year.

Exactly, 2 years at best young man. It took 4 years for me to be called and employed. On average it takes 3-4 years from the time you took the open competitive and the time you complete your medical processing. On rare occasions 4-5 years before final processing. Be patient, and best of luck. 

22 minutes ago, VIP said:

Exactly, 2 years at best young man. It took 4 years for me to be called and employed. On average it takes 3-4 years from the time you took the open competitive and the time you complete your medical processing. On rare occasions 4-5 years before final processing. Be patient, and best of luck. 

So despite them being up to 1320 hired, sending paperwork to the 1600s, you still think it'll be 2 years from now??

18 minutes ago, goukix said:

So despite them being up to 1320 hired, sending paperwork to the 1600s, you still think it'll be 2 years from now??

I'm also in the 18** range, the list was established 2018 I believe and I find it's moving fast considering it is at 1320. Realistically it's just 500 people ahead of us, Last year they called up to list number 10##.  I was hoping maybe a year or less but I guess it all depends on the needs of MTA. If it is, in fact, a 2-year wait I might have to consider another career! Maybe Corrections or PD. 

52 minutes ago, goukix said:

I think what @VIP meant was that from beginning to end the whole process takes about a few years. Considering we’ve taken the test in 2016 and also taken the OPA already we definitely are close. I’ve read that there might be two upcoming classes in June and July. If they keep up the same pace I believe maybe within the next few months we can get called. Also my list number is 18** still patiently waiting. 

11 minutes ago, nickynick86 said:

I think what @VIP meant was that from beginning to end the whole process takes about a few years. Considering we’ve taken the test in 2016 and also taken the OPA already we definitely are close. I’ve read that there might be two upcoming classes in June and July. If they keep up the same pace I believe maybe within the next few months we can get called. Also my list number is 18** still patiently waiting. 

I think people list number 1800 and up. Realistically have about a yr from before being appointed at minimum. That being said many have said they have taken the pre employment three times some more before they were appointed and also they took the drug test several times. Something like that. 

So I think many will take the pre employment up to 1800's in the next let's say 6 mos or so. However I think 1800's will get appointed in about a yr   

Here's the deal: right now they need 200 conductors. After those 200 are hired,  it will be at their discretion how many more they will need after.   So as always said,  there's not real definate time frame as hiring will be and always has been on an as needed basis. That's how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Here's the deal: right now they need 200 conductors. After those 200 are hired,  it will be at their discretion how many more they will need after.   So as always said,  there's not real definate time frame as hiring will be and always has been on an as needed basis. That's how it goes. 

Yeah it will be interesting to see what’s the next date after 200 is filled cause me and you are just a little bit out of 200 unless some fail drug screening and other stuff 

8 minutes ago, Riku said:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what’s the next date after 200 is filled cause me and you are just a little bit out of 200 unless some fail drug screening and other stuff 

If its 200 then itll go up to 1520s or higher because people sadly do drugs and other people just dont want the job and other people just dont care.

1 hour ago, Jay0989 said:

Hey guys. I am a NYC resident. Do I need to bring proof to show that I am? It is advising I do but my drivers license does not suffice?

You don't need to be an NYC resident 

21 minutes ago, Jay0989 said:

To those who have completed final Processing, I am unsure of actual start dates for my college and high school, as well as actual start and end dates with my jobs. What am I supposed to do? Can I estimate?

All they want is the month and year. 

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

If its 200 then itll go up to 1520s or higher because people sadly do drugs and other people just dont want the job and other people just dont care.

So the 200 they required that new 200 list hasn't been filled at all yet?? Those 200 start from the June class? 

16 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

So the 200 they required that new 200 list hasn't been filled at all yet?? Those 200 start from the June class? 

I wanna say yeah but that's an assumption because I was called for PE but not medical yet aka health tests and etc and my number is 146X. So I would say that 40 will go in June and then another 40 in July and then another 40 or I think I heard 60 in August. Someone correct me if I'm wrong I don't want to spread wrong information to my future coworkers.

24 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Correct 

5 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I wanna say yeah but that's an assumption because I was called for PE but not medical yet aka health tests and etc and my number is 146X. So I would say that 40 will go in June and then another 40 in July and then another 40 or I think I heard 60 in August. Someone correct me if I'm wrong I don't want to spread wrong information to my future coworkers.

the June,  July and about two to three more classes after.  Not sure of the numbers myself.  But the average is about 30 usually. 

17 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Correct 

the June,  July and about two to three more classes after.  Not sure of the numbers myself.  But the average is about 30 usually. 

Do you happen to know the months of the three classes after July?

First off, I wanna say congratz & good luck to everyone whose been called for final processing... very exciting I know!

Next, I see some of you discussing the benefits of starting off as a CR then moving up to TO vs going straight for TO. Some have already pointed out a few of the pros/cons but I also wanted to throw in something else that should be considered- seniority. It is everything in transit. Seniority for CRs go up at a much more rapid pace than TOs bcuz people are always getting promoted, retiring or w/e. Whereas TOs generally stay TOs and for longer periods of time. In most cases, by the time you get called for TO you will have already gained seniority as a CR and are able to pick your own jobs/tours/RDOs. Some people like stability others like being XX, which is what you'll be if you give up being a conductor to go to TO. Back in schoolcar, back on probation & back on the bottom of the list. It'll be like starting your career all over again. Which is really the case for any title you move up to in TA but TO I think is one of the riskiest. So you will hear *a lot* "move up as quickly as possible." This a lot of times is why some people end up being a conductor 25-30 yrs. But some people are chasing the money and TOs do make more. So there's a lot to consider but you'll know what's right for you when the time comes and if it doesn't work out for w/e reason, you feel it's not right for you or you just don't like it- you can always go back to your old position.