Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Like the senior people tell me, “you’re always on probation down here”. As long as you do your job, follow the rules, exercise good judgement, and show up on time getting off probation shouldn’t be a problem. 

Being on probation affords you some leeway in some instances too. If you have an incident on probation (depending on what it is and how severe) you may just get sent back for reinstruction and have your probation extended. That same incident when your off could have you at labor days facing days in the street and a DAN. 

The job is not hard, the hardest part is getting to work on time & dealing with the Assengers. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Not if you know what to do, honestly a lot of people on probation usually get fired from opening the doors on the wrong side, using their phones and failing a system safety test, and falling asleep and tons of other stuff that idiots do down here.

That’s what I’m nervous about tho. Opening the doors on the wrong side. Mistakes happen in life man. It’s scary to know that you can’t make a simple mistake. Like I said I’m not a moron or a reckless kid. I’m sure I’ll be able to comprehend everything it’s just that there is no job security till after a year. Any mistake will have you terminated. That’s the intimidating part. I have a mortgage a wife and a son to feed. Sounds like perfection is what is expected and no one is perfect man. 

13 minutes ago, NUSN said:

That’s what I’m nervous about tho. Opening the doors on the wrong side. Mistakes happen in life man. It’s scary to know that you can’t make a simple mistake. Like I said I’m not a moron or a reckless kid. I’m sure I’ll be able to comprehend everything it’s just that there is no job security till after a year. Any mistake will have you terminated. That’s the intimidating part. I have a mortgage a wife and a son to feed. Sounds like perfection is what is expected and no one is perfect man. 

Nothing to worry about bro in school car you'll learn everything and they'll post you with someone on every single line if you're in the A divison they'll put you on every line 1 through 7, and the B division would be everything A through Z. And you'll practice a lot bro don't lose hope.

25 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Nothing to worry about bro in school car you'll learn everything and they'll post you with someone on every single line if you're in the A divison they'll put you on every line 1 through 7, and the B division would be everything A through Z. And you'll practice a lot bro don't lose hope.

Thanks a lot brother. I’m going in confident and hungry to move up. I’m not losing hope I’m very excited to start this new chapter in my life but it’s still very intimidating. It’s something that will be in the back of your head for a year straight and when you overthink that’s when you’re likely more likely to f**k up. I learned that in the Navy. Lol. 

5 hours ago, Schecter said:

Yeah if those trains are on that yard I will say to study the 68's or the 68A's for the yard practical

Ok we just went over all the door cutout procedures for all SMEE and new tech so I’m confident 

5 hours ago, Janelleeac said:

Dont be so stuck on concourse yard, when it was my time it was supposed to be in coney island yard & then they called us and told us to report to concourse yard... but if its concourse deffff 68's or 68a

Yeah they did mention it could change hopefully not lol 

12 minutes ago, Schecter said:

You got this you're going to ace this with flying colors!!!

Thanks man really appreciate that, doing the practices on the trains and the TSS saying great and all that really helps. Gonna go home and practice from my window lol

6 hours ago, NUSN said:

I’m in a Hotel Union. I’m at 35 an Hour bringing home over a thousand a week. I get paid weekly I’m a delegate and I’m 3rd in Seniority and I do overtime like crazy getting paid 52 an hour. It’s a tough decision to make but I really want to go with transit because in the long run it’s a better career as far as retirement and even better pay but that year probation is scary man. I’m not a reckless person or nothing like that but it’s just scary to know that I could start tomorrow and be let go the following week. 

You and I are literally the same number in seniority. Agreed there's usually tons of overtime. I typically bring home over $2100 every 2 weeks. Earned $83k last yr on base rate. Would've been $113k at max pay. I get max pay Nov next yr which will be $37+ per hr. We're fighting for more add ons and mgmt not sure if they're gonna give in but we trying to get another $2 per hr. 

So that's a huge drop in pay dude. Base pay conductor is $22.75 or something. That's almost a $13 difference and ot starts at 35 hrs for us. Unless you're a tipped employee. My uncle who's in transit says that it's a spot you have to take the promotions and put up with some bs but get yourself in the right spot and you're good. 

I was all about the pension being much better. But local 6 pension just got better but transit still better. It's a tough choice. Quality of life is another thing to consider. I'm in a hotel relaxed I don't deal with customers. I don't mind working but a lot of things to consider. Anyway good luck. 

What number are you? I'm mid 1900's. One thing I will say if everyone was as kind as this forum. That would make the decision even harder lol. 

Everyone good luck. The enthusiasm is awesome on this forum. All the support and positivity is awesome. 

5 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

You and I are literally the same number in seniority. Agreed there's usually tons of overtime. I typically bring home over $2100 every 2 weeks. Earned $83k last yr on base rate. Would've been $113k at max pay. I get max pay Nov next yr which will be $37+ per hr. We're fighting for more add ons and mgmt not sure if they're gonna give in but we trying to get another $2 per hr. 

So that's a huge drop in pay dude. Base pay conductor is $22.75 or something. That's almost a $13 difference and ot starts at 35 hrs for us. Unless you're a tipped employee. My uncle who's in transit says that it's a spot you have to take the promotions and put up with some bs but get yourself in the right spot and you're good. 

I was all about the pension being much better. But local 6 pension just got better but transit still better. It's a tough choice. Quality of life is another thing to consider. I'm in a hotel relaxed I don't deal with customers. I don't mind working but a lot of things to consider. Anyway good luck. 

What number are you? I'm mid 1900's. One thing I will say if everyone was as kind as this forum. That would make the decision even harder lol. 

Everyone good luck. The enthusiasm is awesome on this forum. All the support and positivity is awesome. 

Trust me bro I’ve going back and forth thinking about it over and over but I think overall the MTA is the better career choice for me. With local 6 you have to do 40 years to get full pension with MTA is 25. I work front desk and make a lot of money and I also get tipped pretty well but I’m still going MTA. I pray to god this works out for me. At my job my managers are the worst and my GM is an Irish racist lady and I’m constantly dealing with nonsense. I’ve had previous managers tell me that she tells her management team to attack me and come after me hoping that I would slip up so they could fire me. The nonsense I deal with is crazy bro Lol. My list number is 16** I’m due to start training August 19th. 

3 hours ago, NUSN said:

Trust me bro I’ve going back and forth thinking about it over and over but I think overall the MTA is the better career choice for me. With local 6 you have to do 40 years to get full pension with MTA is 25. I work front desk and make a lot of money and I also get tipped pretty well but I’m still going MTA. I pray to god this works out for me. At my job my managers are the worst and my GM is an Irish racist lady and I’m constantly dealing with nonsense. I’ve had previous managers tell me that she tells her management team to attack me and come after me hoping that I would slip up so they could fire me. The nonsense I deal with is crazy bro Lol. My list number is 16** I’m due to start training August 19th. 

You’re gonna be fine man!! Don’t let anyone cloud your mind with negativity about the job! Of course it’s not perfect, but the probation thing isn’t bad, I started last year and will be done with probation next month. Had one incident, didn’t let it bother me, just get your rest because a lot of things happen from fatigue, before you know it the year will be up! Make sure you look out for all promotion exams!! Good luck hopefully we’ll work together if you’re in B division!!

1 hour ago, Imhim said:

You’re gonna be fine man!! Don’t let anyone cloud your mind with negativity about the job! Of course it’s not perfect, but the probation thing isn’t bad, I started last year and will be done with probation next month. Had one incident, didn’t let it bother me, just get your rest because a lot of things happen from fatigue, before you know it the year will be up! Make sure you look out for all promotion exams!! Good luck hopefully we’ll work together if you’re in B division!!

Thanks Brother. Hopefully we bump into each other. 

6 hours ago, NUSN said:

January 1, 2019, the value of the pension credit for those still working increases immediately from $40 per credit for the first 25 years of employment (and $20 for up to 15 additional years of employment) to $60 per credit. That’s a $1,500 a month pension—a 50% increase for members who retire at age 65 with 25 years of service! And since many members work more than 25 years, the rate of the increase will often be more generous than 50%. That’s because the bonus for years of credited service past 25 has been hiked from $20 per year to $60 per year! As an example, there are quite a number of members with 40 years or more on the job who on January 1 will qualify for a pension of $2,400 per month! 

That's the new pension structure. It's definitely better than before. However it's not great. 

I hope you took a LOA just in case. I spoke to my business agent and hr dept. I've gotten a few mos LOA approved in the near future. But still back and forth if I will take the job. The drop in pay is substantial. 

However yes the pension is the only thing swaying me and we have 8 sick days I believe they have more in NYC transit. Also we have 9 holidays I think they have the same and 3 personal days. Only thing is ive heard someone say that you cant use your sick days when you want?? Which is very strange at a union job if that's true. But it is what it is. 

34 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

January 1, 2019, the value of the pension credit for those still working increases immediately from $40 per credit for the first 25 years of employment (and $20 for up to 15 additional years of employment) to $60 per credit. That’s a $1,500 a month pension—a 50% increase for members who retire at age 65 with 25 years of service! And since many members work more than 25 years, the rate of the increase will often be more generous than 50%. That’s because the bonus for years of credited service past 25 has been hiked from $20 per year to $60 per year! As an example, there are quite a number of members with 40 years or more on the job who on January 1 will qualify for a pension of $2,400 per month! 

That's the new pension structure. It's definitely better than before. However it's not great. 

I hope you took a LOA just in case. I spoke to my business agent and hr dept. I've gotten a few mos LOA approved in the near future. But still back and forth if I will take the job. The drop in pay is substantial. 

However yes the pension is the only thing swaying me and we have 8 sick days I believe they have more in NYC transit. Also we have 9 holidays I think they have the same and 3 personal days. Only thing is ive heard someone say that you cant use your sick days when you want?? Which is very strange at a union job if that's true. But it is what it is. 

It’s a lot to consider bro. But in the long run you’ll be making more money and your pension will be way better. And there’s a lot of room for growth and still have the pleasure of still being union. It’s gonna suck the first year or two but after that you’ll be chilling. I’ve looked into everything in detail and MTA is the better choice. Just praying to God that this doesn’t blow up in my face man. This is a great career opportunity. And it’s a job that comes with a lot of Honor and Respect. 

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

It's true it's a bulletin and its told to us in school car but we still get paid less than train operators go figure

Yea, that's what they tell you in schoolcar but trust if anything happens going down the road or if they call out your train for any reason they will be looking for the TO to answer not the CR. When I was posting one of my trainers told me a story of how a newbie conductor answered when RCC called out their interval he said "I thought the CR was in charge of the train??" they responded "when we call we're calling to speak to the TO. Period." This was over the radio and everyone heard it he was so embarrassed. So unless someone calls specifically for me I don't answer or allow myself to think I'm in charge of no train esp once I give over indication to the TO.

CR in charge when train is stationary.  TO in charge when train is in motion.  But always communicate with your partner.  We make a team and the plan is to make it from terminal to terminal safely.

Don't let what RCC say scare you.  I've had partners who answer for me, and the common denominator is they answer with authority.  Own your job, own your interval so no one questions you.  PERIOD.

20 minutes ago, The Batcave said:

Yea, that's what they tell you in schoolcar but trust if anything happens going down the road or if they call out your train for any reason they will be looking for the TO to answer not the CR. When I was posting one of my trainers told me a story of how a newbie conductor answered when RCC called out their interval he said "I thought the CR was in charge of the train??" they responded "when we call we're calling to speak to the TO. Period." This was over the radio and everyone heard it he was so embarrassed. So unless someone calls specifically for me I don't answer or allow myself to think I'm in charge of no train esp once I give over indication to the TO.

23 minutes ago, The Batcave said:

Yeah sometimes my partner doesn't answer and I have to be like hey partner was that for us or nah. Especially when it it comes to RCC saying we have to bypass stops.

13 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Let me just say, if you are working for Local 6 HTC, you will be shocked at how the MTA runs. The Union here is almost non-existent, no presence, and always on the manger's side. They literally work side by side. When you work with Local 6 HTC, you get good pay, you have delegates, employee meal, guaranteed breaks, access to bathrooms. The moment you start going to School Car for Conductor, you will most likely be written up for pettiness. In my conductor's class, multiple people got G2's (MTA's Write Up Form), which was either for lateness, not having your books, the list goes on. You cannot come in late, you cannot call out, and the whole school car experience has been a disorganized nightmare. People already quitting and we are not even halfway done in school car. Trust me, if you are working in hospitality and you have Local 6, STAY where you are. You will regret coming here, I know I did. Yes MTA has a good pension, but any little mistake and you're gone, bye bye to that pension. Local 6 may not be perfect, but the quality of work is much healthier and better. MTA break rooms and bathrooms are disgusting. Its shocking that the MTA Union allows these dirty facilities to be available to their employees. If you wanna come try the MTA, take a LOA from your job, because trust me, you will be going right back once you get a taste of reality. Oh, and the pay here for conductor is very poor. And MTA is cutting back on overtime since the heavy scrutiny took place a few months ago. So if your intention is to make loads of overtime to make up for the low wage, trust me, we were already informed that MTA is making an entire overhaul on the availability of overtime offers. They've cut it completely unless deemed necessary. At least with Local 6 HTC, if someone calls out, overtime will be offered by seniority. here, whenever they decide its necessary to offer overtime, they do not offer it based on seniority, the managers can choose who to offer it to. Think twice about this agency my HTC brothers.

On 8/4/2019 at 3:32 AM, HospitalityBrother20 said:

Let me just say, if you are working for Local 6 HTC, you will be shocked at how the MTA runs. The Union here is almost non-existent, no presence, and always on the manger's side. They literally work side by side. When you work with Local 6 HTC, you get good pay, you have delegates, employee meal, guaranteed breaks, access to bathrooms. The moment you start going to School Car for Conductor, you will most likely be written up for pettiness. In my conductor's class, multiple people got G2's (MTA's Write Up Form), which was either for lateness, not having your books, the list goes on. You cannot come in late, you cannot call out, and the whole school car experience has been a disorganized nightmare. People already quitting and we are not even halfway done in school car. Trust me, if you are working in hospitality and you have Local 6, STAY where you are. You will regret coming here, I know I did. Yes MTA has a good pension, but any little mistake and you're gone, bye bye to that pension. Local 6 may not be perfect, but the quality of work is much healthier and better. MTA break rooms and bathrooms are disgusting. Its shocking that the MTA Union allows these dirty facilities to be available to their employees. If you wanna come try the MTA, take a LOA from your job, because trust me, you will be going right back once you get a taste of reality. Oh, and the pay here for conductor is very poor. And MTA is cutting back on overtime since the heavy scrutiny took place a few months ago. So if your intention is to make loads of overtime to make up for the low wage, trust me, we were already informed that MTA is making an entire overhaul on the availability of overtime offers. They've cut it completely unless deemed necessary. At least with Local 6 HTC, if someone calls out, overtime will be offered by seniority. here, whenever they decide its necessary to offer overtime, they do not offer it based on seniority, the managers can choose who to offer it to. Think twice about this agency my HTC brothers.

Thanks a million for this. It's a perspective people really need to hear. The hiring process made me really think long and hard about the MTA. Are you still a conductor? You mentioned people being written up for lateness and not having their books. What other infractions can one be written up for?

21 minutes ago, Harlem said:

Thanks a million for this. It's a perspective people really need to hear. The hiring process made me really think long and hard about the MTA. Are you still a conductor? You mentioned people being written up for lateness and not having their books. What other infractions can one be written up for?

If he considers being written up for lateness and not having what is required of you “petty,” I have to wonder what type  of job he held before? Not a lot of jobs tolerate lateness to begin with. You think transit is the only one like that? Besides if you can prove the lateness was bc of your train being late they cut you slack as I’ve heard.

and I’ve spoken to three train operators who admitted they hit signals on probation and are still here. Others on this forum already in transit have made mistakes and are still working. So “any little mistake she you’re gone” is fear mongering bs. But you have to be on your toes and know what you’re doing as most any other jobs will demand. 

Don’t believe all the hype.

On 8/4/2019 at 3:32 AM, HospitalityBrother20 said:

lol you’re bugging if you think being late or not having your books in school car is petty. It’s told that you cannot be late during school car, after your second lateness you go down for “counseling” then if you’re late again it’s over. Honestly if you’re late and it’s because of transit, you’re covered, that’s why they give us a pass to get to and from work. Now if you decide to drive and are late, that’s on you! Again while on probation you’re told you must have your rulebook on you at all times, when you go to PS 248 they want the induction book as well. I’m not saying things are all peachy down here, but again you used 2 examples of rules that are enforced from day one! Also this one incident and you’re gone nonsense is not true, unless it’s something crazy like putting your hands on a customer, while in school car any operational incident gets kicked back to that department and you get retrained. Again this is minor operational infractions. How bout ppl just know and do their jobs, of course things happen, if it does, call it in and take responsibility instead of listening to these crew room lawyers trying to get you to lie and cover things up smh. 

16 minutes ago, Imhim said:

lol you’re bugging if you think being late or not having your books in school car is petty. It’s told that you cannot be late during school car, after your second lateness you go down for “counseling” then if you’re late again it’s over. Honestly if you’re late and it’s because of transit, you’re covered, that’s why they give us a pass to get to and from work. Now if you decide to drive and are late, that’s on you! Again while on probation you’re told you must have your rulebook on you at all times, when you go to PS 248 they want the induction book as well. I’m not saying things are all peachy down here, but again you used 2 examples of rules that are enforced from day one! Also this one incident and you’re gone nonsense is not true, unless it’s something crazy like putting your hands on a customer, while in school car any operational incident gets kicked back to that department and you get retrained. Again this is minor operational infractions. How bout ppl just know and do their jobs, of course things happen, if it does, call it in and take responsibility instead of listening to these crew room lawyers trying to get you to lie and cover things up smh

This person isn’t even in the crew rooms yet, still in training. More like a Yard/Trailer lawyer lol. 

Someone has to be crazy to let that sway their decision on a job like this, but hey there’s 30 thousand people behind you that would love your spot...