Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

10 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Maybe I should’ve explained in greater detail why I disagree with what that poster said (and I will now) you can say it’s being overly defensive, I say that person is posting misinformation. 

Re being late: Like others said as long as the train/bus was scheduled to get you to your reporting location on time then you’re fine. They try to scare you in Schoolcar about being late (and yes it’s a serious thing) but in reality a lot of dispatchers don’t really make a scene about it as long as you’re on time to make your interval. 

Re probation & union: As long as you follow the rules, use common sense, show up on time getting off probation shouldn’t be a problem. There are laws they and rules the agency has to follow. You have to really screwup and to get canned on probation.

There’s schoolcar and the real world. That person isn’t even finished training and making claims based off of hearsay like OT drying up and managers deciding who gets OT. Almost everyday on the radio they’re calling for conductors and train operators to work on their days off. There’s been plenty of times when dispatchers will ask me if I want to make an extra trip for a late clear and I tell them no. I like to do my 8 and go home. When you finish schoolcar and are released to the crew office you will be making OT everyweek since you won’t have a picked job. 

Yes there are some valid things like the starting pay being low and the conditions of some facilities, but there’s a lot of misinformation in there as well. 

I agree and sometimes the road blows up and you're making OT off of that and deadhead time as well. Since I started on the road last Tuesday I can 100% agree with you.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I gotta disagree here. While I understand being in time is vital especially in the beginning. People with options like everything in life weigh those options. There may be 30k +people waiting not even a third of them are getting in. 

This board member is speaking to local 6 union members and others. Our probation is 3 mos. Sick days are that sick days whenever we want to use. Our union fights for us most times. Our break room is clean and business agent would flip if it isn't. We start at 27 per hr and max out in 4 yrs at 36.75 right now. Ot  starts at 35 hrs. 

It's a tough decision for some. It's good to hear the good and the bad. To render a good decision. No need to get overly defensive. Everyone thinks differently. Respectfully I'm hoping many make the wise choice on what career to pursue. 

Anyone on this thread can disagree with me or not (its your freedom of choice). By the way, I am not in School Car my friends, I have been alone all on my own as a conductor  for a few days already. From what I mentioned to my brothers in the Local 6 HTC Union, as I mentioned before, if you wish to try this out, take a Leave of Absense. You already have it good, good union, free meals, access to bathrooms (clean bathrooms), business agents that will fight for you, delegates, clean cafeterias, better pay wage, better schedule, and a guaranteed break. Here with MTA, its a whole new world down here. Most of the employees are here for the pension, but have zero motivation. Alot of older employees here have given me really bad attitude, especially the senior ones whom have been on the job for years. I can see why the culture and the morale of this agency is very depressing, boring, abusive, and overall miserable. Notice why so many conductors are getting hired by the numbers? They are quitting in high quantities, getting fired, etc. ( and senior employees retiring too have been adding to this number).  The MTA is having a hard time keeping people (conductors and train operators)   aboard, but they fail to provide stability, safety, and a clean environment. The agency is very disorganized, they have all these rules that they come up with literally everyday. The Union here to me is VERY weak. They show no presense, never have i seen anyone at any location I've been. If they allow dirty crew rooms and facilities to remain how they are, then they don't care about their employees. Yes, some crew rooms are DISGUSTING. They rarely get cleaned, and are infested with mosquitos, rats, and roaches. Some yards don't even have working bathrooms. Most of the time, I don't even get a break to use the bathroom or eat. One should always be entitled to a meal (break), even i f you are paid for it. Managers here love to give stupid writeups for petty shit. Trust me, I've seen it all. 

4 hours ago, HospitalityBrother20 said:

Anyone on this thread can disagree with me or not (its your freedom of choice). By the way, I am not in School Car my friends, I have been alone all on my own as a conductor  for a few days already. From what I mentioned to my brothers in the Local 6 HTC Union, as I mentioned before, if you wish to try this out, take a Leave of Absense. You already have it good, good union, free meals, access to bathrooms (clean bathrooms), business agents that will fight for you, delegates, clean cafeterias, better pay wage, better schedule, and a guaranteed break. Here with MTA, its a whole new world down here. Most of the employees are here for the pension, but have zero motivation. Alot of older employees here have given me really bad attitude, especially the senior ones whom have been on the job for years. I can see why the culture and the morale of this agency is very depressing, boring, abusive, and overall miserable. Notice why so many conductors are getting hired by the numbers? They are quitting in high quantities, getting fired, etc. ( and senior employees retiring too have been adding to this number).  The MTA is having a hard time keeping people (conductors and train operators)   aboard, but they fail to provide stability, safety, and a clean environment. The agency is very disorganized, they have all these rules that they come up with literally everyday. The Union here to me is VERY weak. They show no presense, never have i seen anyone at any location I've been. If they allow dirty crew rooms and facilities to remain how they are, then they don't care about their employees. Yes, some crew rooms are DISGUSTING. They rarely get cleaned, and are infested with mosquitos, rats, and roaches. Some yards don't even have working bathrooms. Most of the time, I don't even get a break to use the bathroom or eat. One should always be entitled to a meal (break), even i f you are paid for it. Managers here love to give stupid writeups for petty shit. Trust me, I've seen it all. 

Again. Thanks for your perspective. It's valid and much needed. I think the issue here is culture. You're dealing with two organizations that have completely different cultures. From what I've gathered the culture at the MTA seems to:

- Assume the employee is lazy and ignorant.

- Sees the employee as disposable with thousands of people waiting to take his job.

- Be highly punitive.

- Cares less about employee comfort and focuses on performance.

There may be a reason for this culture.

- Perhaps many people come on board who simply don't want to work.

- Perhaps many people can't handle a focus on performance.

- Perhaps, as someone mentioned,  there are patterns of institutional bias. 

- Perhaps that's just the way it's always been.

Whatever the reason, you just have to decide whether you want to put up with the culture of a particular organization. Your perspective helps people decide.

7 minutes ago, Harlem said:

Again. Thanks for your perspective. It's valid and much needed. I think the issue here is culture. You're dealing with two organizations that have completely different cultures. From what I've gathered the culture at the MTA seems to:

- Assume the employee is lazy and ignorant.

- Sees the employee as disposable with thousands of people waiting to take his job.

- Be highly punitive.

- Cares less about employee comfort and focuses on performance.

There may be a reason for this culture.

- Perhaps many people come on board who simply don't want to work.

- Perhaps many people can't handle a focus on performance.

- Perhaps, as someone mentioned,  there are patterns of institutional bias. 

- Perhaps that's just the way it's always been.

Whatever the reason, you just have to decide whether you want to put up with the culture of a particular organization. Your perspective helps people decide.

Agreed 

https://nypost.com/2019/08/08/mta-worker-secretly-kept-usps-job-in-case-he-didnt-like-new-gig/

What reason should this person be fired for?? 

11 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Is this because after he used his time he used leave without pay ? From the USPS ? While working for transit ? Man I intended on doing this when/if  the train operator calls me. I have 500+ hours of sick and AL combined with the USPS and I also intend on just LWOP ing until I finished probation after I use my time because my post office is so lenient. 

I remember when I went for PE back in December, the lady that gave us our orientation instructed us to use our annual leave or sick leave from our current employee (if the give you time) while you begin working for the MTA , because she emphasized that the MTA is not for everyone. This way you have something to fall back on. So I’ve been saving my time just in case something happens in school car which I highly doubt won’t but who knows, I like to cover my ass. 

I also asked if I had to fill out  the paper stating iIntended on working two jobs even tho physically I will only be working for the MTA, but she said no I didn’t. 

Is this the post office demanding he be disciplined  or the MTA ?

1 hour ago, Emme0403 said:

Are polos okay to wear for car school or does it have to be a button down?

Some people wore polos but you gotta wear button down they cut you some slack the first day. It’s orientation all that benefits 401k pension stuff and you get your pass but try to have button down by the second or third day. 

9 minutes ago, Riku said:

Some people wore polos but you gotta wear button down they cut you some slack the first day. It’s orientation all that benefits 401k pension stuff and you get your pass but try to have button down by the second or third day. 

Thanks. Much appreciated. On the first day do they allow you to set up direct deposit? So used to direct deposit, would be weird to have a paper check. 

12 minutes ago, Emme0403 said:

Thanks. Much appreciated. On the first day do they allow you to set up direct deposit? So used to direct deposit, would be weird to have a paper check. 

Nope, that doesn’t go into effect until after two pay periods so ur first two checks are paper. I’m still getting paper checks hopefully the next one is direct deposit lol And you have to fill out a form for that but you can go to the mta portal and set it up online much easier. They give you all that info like day 2 or 3. When u pick divisions and pay location. 

4 minutes ago, Riku said:

Nope, that doesn’t go into effect until after two pay periods so ur first two checks are paper. I’m still getting paper checks hopefully the next one is direct deposit lol And you have to fill out a form for that but you can go to the mta portal and set it up online much easier. They give you all that info like day 2 or 3. When u pick divisions and pay location. 

Sweet. Thanks so much for all of your help. You’re the best. Very anxious and looking forward to starting on Monday. 

I also had one more question. If you know, how does the pay scale progress? 

2 minutes ago, Emme0403 said:

Sweet. Thanks so much for all of your help. You’re the best. Very anxious and looking forward to starting on Monday. 

No prob, I was nervous too. You will ease in tho. They will touch into the pay scale Monday, You reach top pay by like the 5th or 6th year. They have night differential that pays you like 95 cents extra if you work through the night. 

9 minutes ago, Riku said:

No prob, I was nervous too. You will ease in tho. They will touch into the pay scale Monday, You reach top pay by like the 5th or 6th year. They have night differential that pays you like 95 cents extra if you work through the night. 

Thanks again. Anxious and nervous at the same time. But so excited for this new chapter in my life. 

21 minutes ago, Emme0403 said:

Thanks again. Anxious and nervous at the same time. But so excited for this new chapter in my life. 

Yes that’s the approach you want to have,🤗 a new promising chapter in life with a lot of $$$ for the taking 

8 hours ago, Emme0403 said:

It's as follows: 

Entrance aka starting: 22.1446 an hour and night differential is 0.9586.

2nd year: 23.7263 an hour and night differential is 1.0271.

3rd year: 25.3081 an hour and night differential is 1.0956.

4th year: 26.8898 an hour and night differential is 1.1640

5th year: 28.4716 an hour and night differential is 1.2325.

6th year: 31.6351 an hour and night differential is 1.3695.

This could all change since the TWU local 100 union is fighting for a new contract so currently we're working without a contract.

Edited by Schecter

1 hour ago, NUSN said:

Hey guys do you get a set schedule with set days off or are you allowed to pick what shift you’d like and what days off you’d like? 

That's done by seniority, after schoolcar when you are released to the road you are "extra" so you will have no choice in picking what jobs or lines you want to work on in your subdivision. A couple of years in title you can start picking jobs that suit you and days off, but to have RDOs on S/S (weekends off) it takes way more time since those are gone fast by people with higher seniority. 

1 hour ago, exj16 said:

I'm sure this was answered already but by chance would anyone how much sick days and Paid days off you start off with? and how many more days do you get per year?

You accumulate one sick and one vacation day per month. 12 per year, paid day offs? You can’t use no vacation time till u get off probation. Only thing you can use is OTO, save up your OT as time and AVA. I’m sure someone else out of school car can give a more precise answer but all in all for the first year you don’t not wanna miss a lot of time cause they will extend your probation and you don’t want that lol