Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I wasn't aware, maybe a mod can clear this up for us. 

You have to keep in mind that anyone can read the information that's posted as a guest - including personnel from NYC Transit. Therefore, it's okay to talk about some things on the site, while it's not okay to talk about other things.

Just use common sense - that's all.

I took the exam on 4/23/16 Pm and i got #4, # 25, and #78 wrong. Anyone else take the exam on that date Pm? Comment here. My brother took the Bus Operator test like 3 years ago, he got an 87 and he got hired. He's been on the job for 2 years now. So lets not worry guys. If u got 3 wrong i think we are ok.

I also agree an 87 is most likely not going to cut it for this one. When my bro took the exam for bus operator they were hiring like crazy. We'll see what happens with this hiring process. Wish everyone luck.

Let me elaborate, from my perspective, on what happened, since I took B/O exam 2613 and B/O exam 4600:

First, since I took both exams, the B/O exam 2613 was a little harder, and, after the BOSS was administered, that's why that list only contained 3,621 names. I, personally, got an 88.75% with a list # of 27*.

Unfortunately, the results of this did not please the employees at NYC Transit, and, as a result, two months after the BOSS was administered, B/O exam 4600 was open for filing. Even with B/O exam 4600, they advertised it a lot more (with signs in the buses), they even extended the filing period by a couple of weeks, and that exam was a easier compared to B/O exam 2613 (at least from my perspective).

So, as a desperate need for Bus Operators, since exam 2613 only had 3,621 names, the list was finished within two years (argument sake). That's why you're brother got hired when he took the Bus Operator exam 3 years ago and he's been on the job for 2 years now, which makes sense since my 10-day intense training session, from taking exam 2613, started on 2/10/2014 and ended 2/24/2014.

You have to keep in mind though that, although Bus Operator and Conductor are both entry-level positions, the physical jobs and responsibilities are two different things, between working within RTO (Rapid Transit Operations) and the Department of Buses. Therefore, we just have to be patient and see what happens...

You have to keep in mind though that, although Bus Operator and Conductor are both entry-level positions, the physical jobs and responsibilities are two different things, between working within RTO (Rapid Transit Operations) and the Department of Buses. Therefore, we just have to be patient and see what happens...

Young, if you had a choice between those 2 crafts, which one would you choose? I've been thinking about being underground ALL day as a C/R as opposed to overground as a B/O enjoying the elements

Matthew you got a lot to learn

Talking to me, I know people from mta, 95-105 get hired right away. 90-95 still have chance. You got to check on mta news. They adding mad trains and some people are actually retired or getting promoted. They are switching some lines due people complaints. I know a lot cuz I check on the news and speak with old conductors.

Matthew you got a lot to learn

Talking to me, I know people from mta, 95-105 get hired right away. 90-95 still have chance. You got to check on mta news. They adding mad trains and some people are actually retired or getting promoted. They are switching some lines due people complaints. I know a lot cuz I check on the news and speak with old conductors.

14kd28m.jpg

Based on our polls small sample size we see a statistical bell curve.  

That is to say most people (the majority) who responded on this forum received 3 or 4 incorrect (50% as of 07/10/2016 9:55 PM EST).

I can only hope that some questions had multiple answers or were somehow unfair and can be successfully protested.

One should also hope that the people who responded to the poll on this website are above average compared to all the people who took the test for this position (it may be because usually people who are genuinely interested tend to score better then people who just take the test and hope for the best).  

if you have yet to take the poll you are invited to do so.  Please be honest when responding.  The information we gain from this poll is only as good as the responses we get (honest and large sample size).

2014-10-03-blogbellcurve.png

HERE IS A POLL:  PLEASE ANSWER HONESTLY.   :)

http://goo.gl/AyutGv

Edited by transitnyc

14kd28m.jpg

Based on our polls small sample size we see a statistical bell curve.

That is to say most people (the majority) who responded on this forum received 3 or 4 incorrect (50% as of 07/10/2016 9:55 PM EST).

I can only hope that some questions had multiple answers or were somehow unfair and can be successfully protested.

One should also hope that the people who responded to the poll on this website are above average compared to all the people who took the test for this position (it may be because usually people who are genuinely interested tend to score better then people who just take the test and hope for the best).

if you have yet to take the poll you are invited to do so. Please be honest when responding. The information we gain from this poll is only as good as the responses we get (honest and large sample size).

2014-10-03-blogbellcurve.png

Transit are you going to be at the appeal tomorrow? You took the 4/9 am exam right? If so let me know about question 31. I also answered B

Took the 4/9 PM test.

#1) B --> C (Correct Answer)

#7) D --> A

#41) B --> C

Anyone else got any of those wrong?

1 also took exam 4/9 pm session I don't remember what questions 7 and 41 were but I know for sure that number 1 was c. Like u, I had b at first but after double checking my work I changed it to c. You really had to pay attention to detail with that question. That question gave u a list of things that the conductor did when they report to work ( in order) it told us what the conductor did and then ask u what they would do next. Well some of the things on the list had 2 parts to it. I don't remember what the exact question was but for example

- conductor signs name and write the time

- conductor report to train

And then the question would ask what does the conductor do after he signs his name? I think most people would just put conductor report to train instead of conductor writes the time.

It was one of those types of questions, I hope u understand.

I have 7 wrong the same with bridges and tunnel officer. If they protest can some right answers turn into wrong answers?

My understanding is that the so-called questions with more than one right answer are challengeable if you can field an explanation as to why your selected answer is as good or better than the one proposed in the answer key. This is a trick the MTA uses to further winnow out the field. It forces the candidate for the job to display logic and comprehension skills, which, if impressive enough, can result in an overturned answer. This, in effect, is the "writing" portion of the exam. You're basically displaying grammar and analytical skills, giving the employer a window into how your mind works. They wanna know that. Thus, people who can't differentiate between "you're" and "your", or can't spell or articulate clearly are flushed out immediately.

The problem is if I or anyone else successfully protested a proposed answer that was arbitrary I am not the only one to benefit. Everyone else who picked the same answer as me will also benefit. I don't receive any preference or extra credit for being analytical or proving that MTA's proposed answer was illogical or arbitrary. I don't receive preference in hiring or promotion. Is that fair? If I took a day off from work to attend the protest while someone else did not why do I not receive any extra credit?

My understanding is that the so-called questions with more than one right answer are challengeable if you can field an explanation as to why your selected answer is as good or better than the one proposed in the answer key. This is a trick the MTA uses to further winnow out the field. It forces the candidate for the job to display logic and comprehension skills, which, if impressive enough, can result in an overturned answer. This, in effect, is the "writing" portion of the exam. You're basically displaying grammar and analytical skills, giving the employer a window into how your mind works. They wanna know that. Thus, people who can't differentiate between "you're" and "your", or can't spell or articulate clearly are flushed out immediately.

I have 7 wrong the same with bridges and tunnel officer. If they protest can some right answers turn into wrong answers?

I would assume that the protest question would have multiple acceptable answers so you would receive credit, or they would throw out the question altogether. 

For anyone who went to the protest session today how did it go?

Transit are you going to be at the appeal tomorrow? You took the 4/9 am exam right? If so let me know about question 31. I also answered B

You're not alone. I too took the 4/9 AM test and answered 31: B. It was actually my first wrong answer out of 6. I think 31 should be one of those questions overturned.

I'm so disappointed in myself with my score but let's see what happens. I'll probably file for the next T/O exam as well.

Edited by noekozz

1. Does anyone know how long it will take the MTA to establish the list and mail the results?

2. What are the odds of getting hired with a 91%? Based on what I've seen on the forums, it seems unlikely.

3. What is the process like beyond the list?

Excellent questions. This conductor exam seems to be operating differently than previous conducor exams. More applicants, yes, but also different exam topics and testing procedures (the oral proficiency follow up test).

The final list is everything. The hiring process can't move forward until the list is finalized and made public.