Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

On 2/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, exj16 said:

hey guys any update on where they are on the list for Pre-Employment?  My list number is 246x

Going to be honest with you, I was told that it's going to be a hold on hiring for a while. You're right there though! They'll get to you. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, NUSN said:

Not sure if you guys have been paying attention to the news but the MTA is planning on cutting 2,700 Jobs. 

Yeah probably station agents mostly because of OMNY, and cleaners because they want to hire contract cleaners so I've heard.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, J Cooper said:

Not yet bro, last day posting is on Monday! After that we got the final and road practical. Im confident man, it's one of the easiest jobs I've ever had tbh. lol it's just all the work in school car that's annoying, luckily I had some great TSSs and classmates. 

Glad bro, you're gonna ace that final with flying colors, I won't get to see in on the road since I'm in the A but good luck man! And cant believe you're still posting lol thought it was over by now.

I meant to update everyone on here but things have been super busy lately. I passed my final and road practical last weekt! Been out on the road for a few days now and already working RDO's ;).  It's totally different in the "real world" outside of school car. lol my first day out I had to call RCC because of an "unconscious" passenger. You just have to be ready for all the surprises. 

Update on future classes: 

Unfortunately I was told by multiple TSSs that it will not be any classes for both C/R and T/O for the rest of the year. This could change though! Good luck to all those that are still waiting. 

PS. B Division is the best hahaha

1 minute ago, J Cooper said:

I meant to update everyone on here but things have been super busy lately. I passed my final and road practical last weekt! Been out on the road for a few days now and already working RDO's ;).  It's totally different in the "real world" outside of school car. lol my first day out I had to call RCC because of an "unconscious" passenger. You just have to be ready for all the surprises. 

Unfortunately I was told by multiple TSSs that it will not be any classes for both C/R and T/O for the rest of the year. This could change though! Good luck to all those that are still waiting. 

Awesome bro, be safe out there! What tour and RDOs they got u on?

41 minutes ago, J Cooper said:

They got me on Midnights/PMs and RDOs Monday and Tuesday. Picked up a Easy Mikey job yesterday on my RDO. 

Sweet I’m sure I’ll see u around. Monday Tuesday midnights is not bad it’s basically Sunday Monday. That’s pretty good. I haven’t touched RDOs yet lol. Midnights got mad penalty jobs. make sure u save some of ur Overtime unless u prefer catch it doesn’t hurt to have some days stored we max out OTO at 108 hours for conductors 

2 minutes ago, Riku said:

Sweet I’m sure I’ll see u around. Monday Tuesday midnights is not bad it’s basically Sunday Monday. That’s pretty good. I haven’t touched RDOs yet lol. Midnights got mad penalty jobs. make sure u save some of ur Overtime unless u prefer catch it doesn’t hurt to have some days stored we max out OTO at 108 hours for conductors 

I worked 1 RDO so far during my 8 months out, I hear people saying not to work one after your 1 year is up because if something happens when you're working your day off you'll be screwed, but honestly I rather make that extra money. Talking about extra money we got a 2% raise earlier this month, and we'll be getting another raise on your 1 year anniversary.

Just now, Schecter said:

I worked 1 RDO so far during my 8 months out, I hear people saying not to work one after your 1 year is up because if something happens when you're working your day off you'll be screwed, but honestly I rather make that extra money. Talking about extra money we got a 2% raise earlier this month, and we'll be getting another raise on your 1 year anniversary.

yeah I’m not touching a RDO till after probation. But I’m def gonna try it and see how it is. I forgot about that raise we just got. I just started taking the cash from my board time since I maxed out my OTO lol. I need to see how this Go check look lol 

I wouldn’t worry about RDO’s as far as something happening. If you’re confident about what you’re doing, you won’t have no worries. Especially if you can pick up a platform job for a RDO. Tomorrow I got a burn test (test train) out of Pitkin yard. Automatic no lunch with a 8+4 day. Be positive!

Edited by ENY487

1 hour ago, Riku said:

Bro It’s fine lol the RDO was easy and I don’t believe in not working RDOs while on probation. Something can easily happen on a schedule day! You have to have the confidence lol I worked the RDO my second day on the road like boss. The job is too easy worry about what can go wrong! Just know your job 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, ENY487 said:

I wouldn’t worry about RDO’s as far as something happening. If you’re confident about what you’re doing, you won’t have no worries. Especially if you can pick up a platform job for a RDO. Tomorrow I got a burn test (test train) out of Pitkin yard. Automatic no lunch with a 8+4 day. Be positive!

Exactly!! I’m all about the money and I’m going to milk transit for all it’s got. 

2 hours ago, ENY487 said:

Truth! Transit pretty as hell tho lol 

in all truth and fairness, I do feel the early on pre-probationary passing period conversation should be had because its all apart of those beginning stages from the list to the actual first stages of the job. This is an extremely long waiting list and a lot of times being able to indulge in these conversations and get such a in depth view of what its really like can help anyone to 1) really know if they want to continue investing the time (because it is an investment) in waiting or if they were already called just continue through with the pre school car stages. While 2) on the other hand for those of us whom definitively know that they do want to continue to see it through can get to be more acclimated, knowledgable and PREPARED for all stages upcoming, most importantly school car. There's nothing like being able to prepare all the people coming forth to be able to make their experiences as QUICK and SEAMLESS as possible. 

(might even result in, on a grand scale, of there being conductor classes that can move faster through training because of being so pre-exposed to what's to come)

*now granted, maybe the better suggestion should/could have been to start a new thread illicitly on what its like to be in school car and the entire first year of probation; the differences between "classroom and the cab-room", how probationary conductors reacted to and handled their first times experiencing out of the ordinary situations on the road. 

but to almost dismiss the conversations being had as not valid to the nature of the group just seems a bit close minded, don't you think?

Except the conversations in question aren't actually about the "pre-probationary period" or "pre school car stages" or even school car for that matter. These people are way passed those points in time and were talking about life at work. Consequently, if the topics of discussion were about school car, there is an existing thread that that dates back to 2012. All I'm doing is trying to organize information where they belong so people can quickly and seamlessly find it. 

Any information that one might seek about the hiring process has already been answered and/or discussed more than once and the process hasn't changed since page 1. All one has to do is use the search function or put in the time to read from page 1 like I did. If you don't have the patience or time to sift through so many pages, then the solution is to reduce the number of pages that don't contain the relevant content.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:55 PM, J Cooper said:

I can’t see them holding out on classes for conductors for the remainder of the year. They’re extremely short C/R’s right now in the B division. I’ve had the crew office call my cellphone and the terminal I was working at to ask me to work an RDO for the next day it’s crazy. 

They're going to be short one less person come April 26. Back to the A I go. 

2 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

I can’t see them holding out on classes for conductors for the remainder of the year. They’re extremely short C/R’s right now in the B division. I’ve had the crew office call my cellphone and the terminal I was working at to ask me to work an RDO for the next day it’s crazy. 

They're going to be short one less person come April 26. Back to the A I go. 

Well their not having any classes with this whole Coronavirus going on.