Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2020 at 11:23 PM, raihan raza said:

hi guys. I have one question that my list number is 32000 and my scored is71.25.  So anybody tell me that I have any chance to get a call or not. thanks

This is exactly the kind of post that should be in this thread, not like some of the previous posts where the posters were already hired and discussing their RDOs and how they're all about money and cleaning up on OT or "scrapping the wall"(sic), whatever that means. Not helpful for the rest of us who need to know IF we're going to get any notice at all, not to mention hired.

To answer your question, it all depends on whether the list gets extended. This list is supposed to expire soon. However, applicants from the 8094 exam were called up from a range similar to yours based on what some other conductors told me. If they extended 6601 for the same amount of time, it could happen. But you might have to wait ten years. 

To me, this is a topic that has been vastly under-discussed in this thread: how long you can expect to wait and your likelihood of getting hired based on your list number. We'll worry about overtime and vaction days and schoolcar in another thread. I for one would like to hear from current or retired conductors how low the MTA went down on the list in past exams.

It appears me, this 6601 list may be in trouble; nys and MTA have massive budget problems due to low ridership, and shortfall of revenue being collected in nys. If the ferderal government doesn’t help with the budget, like they should , then this  6601 calling list may be like  the 8904 previous list extended well passed its expiration date

Nothing going on with schoolcar for a while. Almost guaranteed past Summer a minimum.

I'd say more but nipa and ren are taking it upon themselves to attack others sharing info like once you're out on your own. So I won't. Sorry folks. Good luck.

23 hours ago, goukix said:

Nothing going on with schoolcar for a while. Almost guaranteed past Summer a minimum.

I'd say more but nipa and ren are taking it upon themselves to attack others sharing info like once you're out on your own. So I won't. Sorry folks. Good luck.

Honestly bro/sis who cares what anybody else thinks about what we post if we find it relevant then post what ever you feel like posting. Don't let anybody govern what you can and can't post. BTW I'm not bashing or trying to disrespect @nipaaaa or @ren so don't take it like that. But we are all a family and future co workers let's act like a family. Remember like I posted before I care about everyone in the group no matter who they are. 

PS everybody be safe from the virus its already killed over 100 of our co workers, some young and some old. Love all you out there from the bottom of my heart ❤!

On 4/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, Schecter said:

Honestly bro/sis who cares what anybody else thinks about what we post if we find it relevant then post what ever you feel like posting. Don't let anybody govern what you can and can't post. BTW I'm not bashing or trying to disrespect @nipaaaa or @ren so don't take it like that. But we are all a family and future co workers let's act like a family. Remember like I posted before I care about everyone in the group no matter who they are. 

PS everybody be safe from the virus its already killed over 100 of our co workers, some young and some old. Love all you out there from the bottom of my heart ❤!

Be safe bro, and yes everyone be safe and stay healthy very challenging time right now for all. 

29 minutes ago, Steelix500 said:

I can't believe its been like 4 years since I took this exam and the most recent called was the 1800s? This list expires 2 years and my position was in the high 9000s so I take it I'm shit out of luck then?

You never know they might be extending the list or might not, you never know what might happen in 2 years from now. But from what I've heard a lot people are going to be retiring by the end of this year. Just hold on tight and have high hopes!

• 3 weeks later...

I took the 6011 Conductor exam in 2016. The list was established in Feb 2017 if I recall correctly. I just received an email, call, and text all within 5 min of each other asking if I am still interested in the Conductor position. I had to go online and do a 1 question survey that literally just asked if I’m still interested. Is anyone familiar with this part of the process? How long will it take for me to get the pre-employment offer? Also, does anyone know what the physical is like? I don’t mean the drug test. I’m clean and not concerned. I mean the physical. Is there lifting, carrying heavy equipment, etc. thanks all and good luck to everyone that applied. 

8 hours ago, EAS said:

...How long will it take for me to get the pre-employment offer? Also, does anyone know what the physical is like? I don’t mean the drug test... I mean the physical. Is there lifting, carrying heavy equipment, etc. thanks all and good luck to everyone that applied. 

First of all, for those of you who posted for the first time, welcome to the Forums!!

Second, I, myself, am a little 'shocked' with this survey, especially with the hiring freeze that is currently in effect. For those of you who are unaware about this, kindly refer to the image below. The image can also be found on this webpage towards the bottom of the green box.

As far as what the physical contains, I would invite you to read over this thread and the links that I posted in that thread. Although this thread is for the Conductor position, I would say that the physical for the Bus Operator, Conductor and Track Worker positions are 95% similar. They may look for a few different things, however the key word is "few."

As always, stay safe and healthy!! My list number for this particular exam is in the 4700's, so they have a ways to go before they reach out to me.

MTA_hiring_freeze.jpg

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

They also sent my an email for train operator to respond to, I'm assuming they're doing this because of the people who've retired and who have passed away.

Out of curiosity what is ur list number for train operator. And what did the email say. Recently restored my name and waiting to be contacted. Thanks

14 hours ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Out of curiosity what is ur list number for train operator. And what did the email say. Recently restored my name and waiting to be contacted. Thanks

My list number us 131X and the email said, "Greetings from MTA New York City Transit. We hope that you and your family are safe during this unprecedented crisis. As you know, your name appears on the hiring list for the title of Train Operator Exam #7604. We anticipate using this list to fill vacant positions in the coming months. We are reaching out to you and other candidates on the list to determine how many individuals remain interested in this opportunity and are likely to respond when we reach your list numbers and invite you to report for employment processing. This message is not an offer of employment. Your number has not yet been reached on the hiring list. However, for planning purposes, we would like to know whether you still want to be considered for a position when your number is reached in the future.  Please be advised that whether you indicate “YES” you are interested or “NO” you are not interested, you will still be invited to report for employment processing when your number is reached. "

6 hours ago, Schecter said:

My list number us 131X and the email said, "Greetings from MTA New York City Transit. We hope that you and your family are safe during this unprecedented crisis. As you know, your name appears on the hiring list for the title of Train Operator Exam #7604. We anticipate using this list to fill vacant positions in the coming months. We are reaching out to you and other candidates on the list to determine how many individuals remain interested in this opportunity and are likely to respond when we reach your list numbers and invite you to report for employment processing. This message is not an offer of employment. Your number has not yet been reached on the hiring list. However, for planning purposes, we would like to know whether you still want to be considered for a position when your number is reached in the future.  Please be advised that whether you indicate “YES” you are interested or “NO” you are not interested, you will still be invited to report for employment processing when your number is reached. "

Thanks for the info. Guess I have to wait patiently 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Charlie charles said:

Any new information on pre employment starting again and what that process entails....

No news on any pre employment starting again as of yet the process includes coming in dressed up no jeans, sneakers, shorts or sweat pants, you then fill out all the jobs you had and any breaks in between, also make sure you have your high-school diploma or ged on hand and also make sure you have no parking tickets because they'll have you pay them before going forward and then last you pee in a cup I believe and you wait between 30 and 90 days for an answer. When I last went I received an email to come in for final processing less than 30 days. This was last year if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll be more than glad to help you.

11 hours ago, Schecter said:

No news on any pre employment starting again as of yet the process includes coming in dressed up no jeans, sneakers, shorts or sweat pants, you then fill out all the jobs you had and any breaks in between, also make sure you have your high-school diploma or ged on hand and also make sure you have no parking tickets because they'll have you pay them before going forward and then last you pee in a cup I believe and you wait between 30 and 90 days for an answer. When I last went I received an email to come in for final processing less than 30 days. This was last year if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll be more than glad to help you.

Let me just add my two cents:

When the time comes, you will get a letter in the mail, along with this packet, with the exception of page 9 since this is not a driving position. I have seen people down at 180 Livingston Street in blue jeans, I myself wear black jeans and black sneakers or black boots and they don't say anything to me. If you're still not sure on this, read the top of the first page very carefully. As far as the paperwork is concerned, I would make sure you have a copy because they will give you a hard copy of the CPD-B booklet to fill out, in which your employment history must match!! Once this is done, they will send you for the drug test, providing the lab is not "backed up." Once the drug test is complete, they will send you home and expect to receive a phone call or email within the next 3 to 90 calendar days.

The next step is the physical/medical. Click here for a description of what the physical/medical contains. From what I've heard, the employees on the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street "don't work too hard," therefore, although the descriptions within the link are physicals for Bus Operator, Track Worker, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if the physical for this position is 95% similar.

Once your physical is completed, they will send you to final processing, where both of your employment histories will be verified to make sure they are accurate, you will get sworn in, go for fingerprints, have your picture taken for your MetroCard ID pass, and then off to schoolcar!!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're all here to help each other.

Edited by +Young+

5 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Let me just add my two cents:

When the time comes, you will get a letter in the mail, along with this packet, with the exception of page 9 since this is not a driving position. I have seen people down at 180 Livingston Street in blue jeans, I myself wear black jeans and black sneakers or black boots and they don't say anything to me. If you're still not sure on this, read the top of the first page very carefully. As far as the paperwork is concerned, I would make sure you have a copy because they will give you a hard copy of the CPD-B booklet to fill out, in which your employment history must match!! Once this is done, they will send you for the drug test, providing the lab is not "backed up." Once the drug test is complete, they will send you home and expect to receive a phone call or email within the next 3 to 90 calendar days.

The next step is the physical/medical. Click here for a description of what the physical/medical contains. From what I've heard, the employees on the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street "don't work too hard," therefore, although the descriptions within the link are physicals for Bus Operator, Track Worker, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if the physical for this position is 95% similar.

Once your physical is completed, they will send you to final processing, where both of your employment histories will be verified to make sure they are accurate, you will get sworn in, go for fingerprints, have your picture taken for your MetroCard ID pass, and then off to schoolcar!!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're all here to help each other.

Yeah 100% true I meant to say 3 to 90 not 30 to 90 days

On 2/11/2020 at 7:01 PM, dman1455 said:

I'm in the process for NJT Assistant Conductor, I took the test and was given my results within a week. Then they invite you to an interview if you pass (which is the step I'm currently at). I actually have my interview coming up this week.

I have an interview next week for the Assistant Conductor. It's going to be Microsoft Team interview. How was your interview format? What type of questions did they ask you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, Schecter said:

Yeah 100% true I meant to say 3 to 90 not 30 to 90 days

My apologies for 'bumping' this thread, however I have good news to share!!

If you type in "Conductor" in the search box located on the top-right hand side of the Civil Service List Certification page of the NYC Open Data website, you will see that on June 29th, 2020, which was two days ago, the agency requested 31,000 names to fill 65 vacancies. Why the agency requested so many names - I don't know.

Best of luck for those who will be reporting to 180 Livingston Street in the immediate future for pre-employment processing!!

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

My apologies for 'bumping' this thread, however I have good news to share!!

If you type in "Conductor" in the search box located on the top-right hand side of the Civil Service List Certification page of the NYC Open Data website, you will see that on June 29th, 2020, which was two days ago, the agency requested 31,000 names to fill 65 vacancies. Why the agency requested so many names - I don't know.

Best of luck for those who will be reporting to 180 Livingston Street in the immediate future for pre-employment processing!!

Very Interesting! If your name shows high on that list, is it a good sign that you may be called soon? Or is it only the first/top 65 people?