Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, LEO1990 said:

Very Interesting! If your name shows high on that list, is it a good sign that you may be called soon? Or is it only the first/top 65 people?

Are you referring to a high certification sequence number, which is the ninth column from the left? If so, from my perspective, it is not a good sign. As an example, my list number for this exam is in the 4700's, and, as of June 29th, my certification sequence number is in the 2800's. Therefore, it will be a while before they reach me.

As far as the first/top 65 people, we'll see what happens. It depends on who physically shows up to 180 Livingston Street, who takes and passes the drug test, who passes the physical, etc. However, if your certification sequence number, which is the ninth column from the left, is greater than 500, you will probably and most likely not receive an invitation letter in the mail. If your certification sequence number is greater than 300, you may or may not get an invitation letter in the mail - it depends on what happens with the first group of candidates. Keep in mind that the HR Office does not hold vacancies for people. In other words, if you're on Medical Hold for Sleep Apnea, and somebody else whose list number is slightly higher than yours can pass the drug test and the physical with flying colors, then they will be chosen to fill the vacancy first. If there are any more vacancies available once you come off the medical hold, then you will or will not be given the opportunity to fill the vacancy.

In addition, if you carefully examine the data, you will see that for the first 29 candidates, their list numbers are not in sequential order. This means that they have probably restored their name to the list and they will get first priority since your list number remains the same until the list expires.

2 hours ago, JUNwei said:

how do we know how many vacancies in some position?

If you look at the chart by either typing your name and/or "Conductor" into the search box on the top right hand side, and you scroll all the way to the right, the vacancy column is the third column from the right hand side of the webpage.

Edited by +Young+
Addition...

14 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Are you referring to a high certification sequence number, which is the ninth column from the left? If so, from my perspective, it is not a good sign. As an example, my list number for this exam is in the 4700's, and, as of June 29th, my certification sequence number is in the 2800's. Therefore, it will be a while before they reach me.

As far as the first/top 65 people, we'll see what happens. It depends on who physically shows up to 180 Livingston Street, who takes and passes the drug test, who passes the physical, etc. However, if your certification sequence number, which is the ninth column from the left, is greater than 500, you will probably and most likely not receive an invitation letter in the mail. If your certification sequence number is greater than 300, you may or may not get an invitation letter in the mail - it depends on what happens with the first group of candidates. Keep in mind that the HR Office does not hold vacancies for people. In other words, if you're on Medical Hold for Sleep Apnea, and somebody else whose list number is slightly higher than yours can pass the drug test and the physical with flying colors, then they will be chosen to fill the vacancy.

In addition, if you carefully examine the data, you will see that for the first 29 candidates, their list numbers are not in sequential order. This means that they have probably restored their name to the list and they will get first priority since your list number remains the same until the list expires.

If you look at the chart by either typing your name and/or "Conductor" into the search box on the top right hand side, and you scroll all the way to the right, the vacancy chart is the third column from the right hand side.

Does this hold true for the train operator exam as well exam number 7604?

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Does this hold true for the train operator exam as well exam number 7604?

Generally speaking, this holds true for any civil service examination for the City of New York. If you're able to use the Civil Service List Certification webpage and interpret the data like I previously did for this title, then the same applies for any civil service examination, whether it is for a title for NYC Transit or for another title under DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services).

If you need more specific examples, send me a Private Message (PM) and I'll be more than happy to elaborate.

For conductor 6601its 65 vacancies.  So 65 vacant.

Bus operator from 7612 is 100 vacant.

Subway exam 7604 is 57 vacant. 

Just sit tight next few weeks, they are back logged from end of march.  But it will get there. Human resources at 180 do a good job.

From July 6th on , keep your phones on, check your emails.  For conductors, train operators, and bus operators. 

Pay your tickets, remember your last 10 years working history or more, put it down,  don't leave gaps in between your employment applications.  If you have a gap, they will tell you that you have a gap, what did you do from july to august ? If you were unemployed, but down unemployed. If you moved didn't have a job from feburary to october for 9 years ago, put that down, moved feburary 2009 to october 2009 unemployed or searching for a job. 

Anyone on hold for medical for sleep apnea, its very easy.  I have a sleep apnea machine. You get a referal from a doctor, sleep 2 nights, if you meet the criteria for sleep apnea, you will get a machine. Sleep for the duration the mta medical ask for.  You can get a print out from your doctor with a treatment plan by your doctor. After that when you join the MTA, you will report back to medical and you can print out your own reports for your treatment plan.  Doctors will see it.  Try to sleep at least 4 hrs a night with the machine on. You will get used to it.  Clean it once every 2 weeks. You will sleep better than someone who doesnt have sleep apnea, trust me. Full of energy. 

51 minutes ago, Moody said:

For conductor 6601its 65 vacancies.  So 65 vacant.

Bus operator from 7612 is 100 vacant.

Subway exam 7604 is 57 vacant. 

Just sit tight next few weeks, they are back logged from end of march.  But it will get there. Human resources at 180 do a good job.

From July 6th on , keep your phones on, check your emails.  For conductors, train operators, and bus operators.

First of all, as per the guidelines of the website, can you please stay on-topic? If you briefly go 'off-topic,' it's okay, however please do not make this a routine.

Second, you are aware that the information you presented is 'sort-of' incorrect, right? If you type "Bus Operator" into the search box of the Civil Service List Certification webpage, you will see that the last group of candidates for "Bus Operator," which was from this past January, were hired off of both Exam 4600 and Exam 7612. Next, Exam 7604 is for the "Train Operator" position and not just a 'subway exam.'

Therefore, especially with the Hiring Freeze that in effect and with the fact that everybody is feeling a 'negative' impact of this pandemic in one way or another, we'll see what happens as time progresses.

So let me get this straight. There are only 65 open vacancies. So hypothetically speaking, does that mean if I was number 66 my only chance to get on would be if 1 person from the first 65 failed a drug test or physical, was not fit for the position, declined the offer, etc. ? That means if the first 65 people pass all tests and accept the offer of employment, unlucky number 66 would NOT get hired?

If that is the case, is it a game of luck/fate for anyone who is listed at 66+ since there are only 65 vacant slots?

8 hours ago, LEO1990 said:

So let me get this straight. There are only 65 open vacancies. So hypothetically speaking, does that mean if I was number 66 my only chance to get on would be if 1 person from the first 65 failed a drug test or physical, was not fit for the position, declined the offer, etc. ? That means if the first 65 people pass all tests and accept the offer of employment, unlucky number 66 would NOT get hired?

If that is the case, is it a game of luck/fate for anyone who is listed at 66+ since there are only 65 vacant slots?

We just have to see what happens as time progresses. Also, if I remember correctly, for School Car for Conductors you need to get an 80% or better on the examinations in order to proceed on the road and in customer service. Therefore, you need to consider this as well, in addition to what you previously mentioned. In addition, with the fact that they practically requested the entire list to fill 65 positions, which, in my opinion doesn't make sense to begin with, if there happens to be a last-minute vacancy or two for whatever reason, then they might take this opportunity to fill the last-minute vacancy without requesting the entire list from DCAS for a second time.

However, as a friendly reminder, there is also a hiring freeze in effect until further notice. Therefore, we'll see what happens as time progresses.

Edited by +Young+

3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

We just have to see what happens as time progresses. Also, if I remember correctly, for School Car for Conductors you need to get an 80% or better on the examinations in order to proceed on the road and in customer service. Therefore, you need to consider this as well, in addition to what you previously mentioned. In addition, with the fact that they practically requested the entire list to fill 65 positions, which, in my opinion doesn't make sense to begin with, if there happens to be a last-minute vacancy or two for whatever reason, then they might take this opportunity to fill the last-minute vacancy without requesting the entire list from DCAS for a second time.

However, as a friendly reminder, there is also a hiring freeze in effect until further notice. Therefore, we'll see what happens as time progresses.

Even with a hiring freeze in effect, is there a chance they'd be able to slip in a small class of 65 or fill those 65 vacancies over the next few weeks? Or does that mean absolutely 0 hirings at all?

1 hour ago, LEO1990 said:

Even with a hiring freeze in effect, is there a chance they'd be able to slip in a small class of 65 or fill those 65 vacancies over the next few weeks? Or does that mean absolutely 0 hirings at all?

Hiring Freeze just means that any hiring that has to happen must be approved by a slew of directors, they still have multiple positions that they are hiring for.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:31 AM, LEO1990 said:

Hey Bro I know it’s frustrating but just try to hang in there man. A lot of conductors either retired or passed away due to COVID may they Rest In Peace. There are a lot of open jobs out there. I hear it all the time in the crew rooms and they are always calling for overtime. Just try to hold on a little longer and wait to see what happens. 

• 3 weeks later...

I also got the email and filled out the documents. Is this just some standard email or does it actually mean something this time? I feel like I've already gotten similar emails in the past just to see if I was still interested in the job. Nothing ever came from those, so I wonder if this one is actually something to be excited about.

2 minutes ago, LEO1990 said:

I also got the email and filled out the documents. Is this just some standard email or does it actually mean something this time? I feel like I've already gotten similar emails in the past just to see if I was still interested in the job. Nothing ever came from those, so I wonder if this one is actually something to be excited about.

No clue it's different because all other times you would go to 180 for pre employment and fill out those documents by hand and hand them in and they check it for you and then hand it back if you made a mistake and tell you to fix this and that 

4 minutes ago, Schecter said:

No clue it's different because all other times you would go to 180 for pre employment and fill out those documents by hand and hand them in and they check it for you and then hand it back if you made a mistake and tell you to fix this and that 

Maybe this is the new and safer way of doing pre-employment screenings since Covid. But are they even actually looking to hire right now? Or are they just wasting my time for the 4th or 5th time? I've been to 180 multiple times and then they always make me redo this stuff and then never actually hire anyone.

2 minutes ago, LEO1990 said:

Maybe this is the new and safer way of doing pre-employment screenings since Covid. But are they even actually looking to hire right now? Or are they just wasting my time for the 4th or 5th time? I've been to 180 multiple times and then they always make me redo this stuff and then never actually hire anyone.

Honestly no clue this is my 3rd pre employment im doing for train operator currently im a conductor and they've only gave me 2 PEs for conductor. 

2 hours ago, Charlie charles said:

I thought they were doing drug test with turning in your pre employment papers...no more drug test?

Yeah they still have to do a drug test what I'm assuming they're going to do because of covid is go over the paperwork and make sure everything is good and then email people again for a scheduled drug test. This could be so that they don't have a ton of people in the drug testing waitiing room at once.

"Due to the pandemic, we haven’t had a T/O or C/R class since January. New classes are being scheduled

Conductors, September 8th

Train Operators, September 21st

Reminder: with Transit, anything is subject to change. For now, this is the information we’ve been provided."

From the VP of TWU 100

3 hours ago, Schecter said:

"Due to the pandemic, we haven’t had a T/O or C/R class since January. New classes are being scheduled

Conductors, September 8th

Train Operators, September 21st

Reminder: with Transit, anything is subject to change. For now, this is the information we’ve been provided."

From the VP of TWU 100

Yeah I heard same within the next two months they gonna start hiring again so that’s good news for everybody still waiting and getting letters in mail about pre employment. Hope all is good schect! 💪🏾