Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

2 minutes ago, Riku said:

Yeah I heard same within the next two months they gonna start hiring again so that’s good news for everybody still waiting and getting letters in mail about pre employment. Hope all is good schect! 💪🏾

Well i got my pre employment for train operator through email instead something different

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Just curious. Last week on the 28th, I received an email with a link to fill out my pre-employment paperwork and submit it before the 31st. I submitted everything the same evening along with copies of my degree and drivers license. This is for exam 6601, Conductor btw.

I am curious if anyone can give me a timeline on when I should expect to be contacted to go downtown and what I should expect?

I was nervous about the work history as the form said to go all the way back to after high school but that's quite a way for me. I did go back on work history for 15 years. I hope that's enough.

Thanks in advance! I'm excited at the prospect of leaving my current job so I'm anxious to have a ballpark time frame and an overall idea of what to expect. I have 0 tickets on my license, and I don't do any drugs so I should be fine there.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, +Young+ said:

First of all, for those of you who posted for the first time, welcome to the Forums!!

Second, I, myself, am a little 'shocked' with this survey, especially with the hiring freeze that is currently in effect. For those of you who are unaware about this, kindly refer to the image below. The image can also be found on this webpage towards the bottom of the green box.

As far as what the physical contains, I would invite you to read over this thread and the links that I posted in that thread. Although this thread is for the Conductor position, I would say that the physical for the Bus Operator, Conductor and Track Worker positions are 95% similar. They may look for a few different things, however the key word is "few."

As always, stay safe and healthy!! My list number for this particular exam is in the 4700's, so they have a ways to go before they reach out to me.

MTA_hiring_freeze.jpg

Thanks for this. I just posted on the last page of this thread because I didn't see this response so I'll paste what I typed earlier and then i'll review what you hyperlinked.

"Just curious. Last week on the 28th, I received an email with a link to fill out my pre-employment paperwork and submit it before the 31st. I submitted everything the same evening along with copies of my degree and drivers license. This is for exam 6601, Conductor btw.

I am curious if anyone can give me a timeline on when I should expect to be contacted to go downtown and what I should expect?

I was nervous about the work history as the form said to go all the way back to after high school but that's quite a way for me. I did go back on work history for 15 years. I hope that's enough.

Thanks in advance! I'm excited at the prospect of leaving my current job so I'm anxious to have a ballpark time frame and an overall idea of what to expect. I have 0 tickets on my license, and I don't do any drugs so I should be fine there."

From what I understand is they are working where they left off just before the covid 19 shut down, wether its for bus operators, conductors or trains.  They are processing where they left off.  The pre-employment is not hard. Theres no reason to be nervous. In the application put down your work history, and dont leave gaps in the middle of them, if you were unemloyed for a certain time wether its a month or a 2 months, put that down.  After you submit everything, and you have your license, social, and birth certificate, you will do a drug test.  

Now the drug tests expire. They are only good for so long.  Depending on the needs of the MTA if they need a class they will call you up to do medical. You do the medical, they check your bloodpressure, eye, and ear, typical stuff. They make you take a survey on a computer before you see the medical staff. Once you pass medical, you go back to the window, and they will give you your next instructions. 

That is the basic preliminary situation before covid, for busses, for conductors, train operators everyone. After you pass medical and come back its fingerprinting, face picture, swearing in. You get a sheet with report time and date. You will get a rule book, and some employee booklet. 

The employee rule book, must be carried with you at all times.   When you pass medical, and you have a date then you should be excited. Its fine to get excited through the process, but remember, its depending on the needs of the MTA. I had to do drug test twice. Some people before covid had to do drug test 4 or 5 times before they went to medical, because it depends on the needs of the MTA.

Your work with the MTA also depends on the needs of the MTA. Its all about service, you must be up and able to perform. 

You're really free after probation lol which is 1 year.  

1 hour ago, EAS said:

Thanks for this. I just posted on the last page of this thread because I didn't see this response so I'll paste what I typed earlier and then i'll review what you hyperlinked.

"Just curious. Last week on the 28th, I received an email with a link to fill out my pre-employment paperwork and submit it before the 31st. I submitted everything the same evening along with copies of my degree and drivers license. This is for exam 6601, Conductor btw.

Thanks in advance! I'm excited at the prospect of leaving my current job so I'm anxious to have a ballpark time frame and an overall idea of what to expect. I have 0 tickets on my license, and I don't do any drugs so I should be fine there."

First of all, welcome to the website! Second, as far as posting the "absolute hiring freeze" image, your welcome! My list number for this particular exam is in the 4,700's, so it'll be a while before they get to me for this particular title.

If you do not hear back from the HR Department in regards to your paperwork, consider that a 'good' thing since there were no problems with your pre-employment paperwork.

As far as a timeline is concerned, I do not have a concrete answer in regards to this. As you can see by the attached document to this post, you need to have an appointment to enter 180 Livingston Street. Even if you look at this webpage, the Exam Information Center located in the lobby is even closed.

If I had to take an educated guess in regards to the timeline, I would say sometime within the next couple of months you should hear something. The pre-employment paperwork is good for 90 calendar days. After this time frame, they will make you re-do your pre-employment paperwork over again. If you saved your paperwork on your desktop, laptop, etc., you should just have to change a few things and then simply re-submit it. My suggestion is to save a 'back-up' copy in the event something 'crashes' at the last minute. Even if you send an e-mail to yourself with your paperwork as an attachment, it should suffice.

The reason why I do not have a concrete answer in regards to the timeline is because of the COVID-19 situation. As you know, the number of cases in the majority of the other states are going up. And this thread and/or topic is not the place to talk about politics, which, as a Senior Moderator, I do not want to start on this site.

Stay safe and healthy!!

116698525_10221321685699247_5228246312274198333_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome to the website! Second, as far as posting the "absolute hiring freeze" image, your welcome! My list number for this particular exam is in the 4,700's, so it'll be a while before they get to me for this particular title.

If you do not hear back from the HR Department in regards to your paperwork, consider that a 'good' thing since there were no problems with your pre-employment paperwork.

As far as a timeline is concerned, I do not have a concrete answer in regards to this. As you can see by the attached document to this post, you need to have an appointment to enter 180 Livingston Street. Even if you look at this webpage, the Exam Information Center located in the lobby is even closed.

If I had to take an educated guess in regards to the timeline, I would say sometime within the next couple of months you should hear something. The pre-employment paperwork is good for 90 calendar days. After this time frame, they will make you re-do your pre-employment paperwork over again. If you saved your paperwork on your desktop, laptop, etc., you should just have to change a few things and then simply re-submit it. My suggestion is to save a 'back-up' copy in the event something 'crashes' at the last minute. Even if you send an e-mail to yourself with your paperwork as an attachment, it should suffice.

The reason why I do not have a concrete answer in regards to the timeline is because of the COVID-19 situation. As you know, the number of cases in the majority of the other states are going up. And this thread and/or topic is not the place to talk about politics, which, as a Senior Moderator, I do not want to start on this site.

Stay safe and healthy!!

I would like to thank you again. this information is very helpful. I do have my paperwork saved so if needed, I can resubmit. I did submit on the 28th and since I have not heard anything back yet in almost a week, I will take that as a good sign. My list number was just under 2000 so this is why I was contacted. I am excited to begin this process. Like everyone else, I've waited a long time for this. I spoke to a couple of bus drivers and conductors and I was told that once the pre-employment packet was received, the process tends to move rather quickly from THAT point forward so I was just hopeful to hear some good news along that line. I wish you all the best and I hope the list does get extended so they can reach your number. Hopefully I'll see you on the other side of employment. :) Stay safe!

2 hours ago, exj16 said:

Hey everyone by chance does anyone know what list number they’re up to in terms of pre employment for exam 6601?  I see some people got pre employment letters sent via email 

I don't know but my number is 19xx and I got mine on 7/28 or 7/27, I forgot which. I got an automated call, text message and an email. The email had the link to download the paperwork and it had to be submitted by 7/31.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, +Young+ said:

Stay safe and healthy!!

Ok Young. Maybe you can answer this for me. I got an email today telling me to update my employment history from present and go back to high school. I left high school in 1995. I can't remember that far back. I gave employment history all the way back to 2005. I would think 15yrs is enough. Now i'm nervous and I don't want to lose this opportunity. 😕

4 hours ago, EAS said:

Ok Young. Maybe you can answer this for me. I got an email today telling me to update my employment history from present and go back to high school. I left high school in 1995. I can't remember that far back. I gave employment history all the way back to 2005. I would think 15yrs is enough. Now i'm nervous and I don't want to lose this opportunity. 😕

They need it back to when you left high school. Why this is - I don't know.

The good news is that, under normal circumstances, you can go to your local Social Security office and get a printout of your jobs from when you graduated high school. However, since we are still in this 'pandemic' for who knows how much longer, I would advise you to get in contact with them in one way or another and find out how you can obtain this invaluable information. Maybe in person via an appointment? Maybe online? Maybe they can mail it to you?

Good luck!

10 hours ago, +Young+ said:

They need it back to when you left high school. Why this is - I don't know.

The good news is that, under normal circumstances, you can go to your local Social Security office and get a printout of your jobs from when you graduated high school. However, since we are still in this 'pandemic' for who knows how much longer, I would advise you to get in contact with them in one way or another and find out how you can obtain this invaluable information. Maybe in person via an appointment? Maybe online? Maybe they can mail it to you?

Good luck!

The problem with this, from what I saw online, is they charge you $91 and the form itself says that the request can take up to 120 days. I just filled in the information to the best that my memory serves. Hopefully that is enough. I did actually go back to high school though

I got mine instantly, when I went to the office IN PERSON. Yes it cost 90 something dollars, but my work history goes back to 1993.  DO IT. I found stuff I had forgotten about. Of course this was pre pandemic, but inaccuracies and omissions will cost you this opportunity 

Edited by Embalmman
More information included

On 8/1/2020 at 1:13 AM, Schecter said:

Well i got my pre employment for train operator through email instead something different

Already? That’s awesome, Damn I should of took last train operator test that had came out but That’s good u already off probation and permanent in the CR title. Just made a year couple weeks ago def No brainer to get in that next T/O class ASAP, I hope they have another T/O exam coming soon. They also got a ATD class starting this coming Monday. So More classes about to take place 

Edited by Riku

21 minutes ago, EAS said:

The problem with this, from what I saw online, is they charge you $91 and the form itself says that the request can take up to 120 days. I just filled in the information to the best that my memory serves. Hopefully that is enough. I did actually go back to high school though

That should be enough, just give them as much as you don’t worry about small jobs or jobs u hardly work barely out of high school. The recent stuff matters more

1 minute ago, Riku said:

That should be enough, just give them as much as you don’t worry about small jobs or jobs u hardly work barely out of high school. The recent stuff matters more

That's what I thought. I hope that's enough. If I have to, I'll see about going in person and paying for it if needed. If they give me the chance. It's just about as accurate as I can have it going back to 2005. There may be small inaccuracies with the months on some of the info. I'm waiting for a reply now.

I called up the number posted above and asked what list # they are up to for conductor 6601 and was told 1943. But that's all I was told. Does anyone know any more info regarding an upcoming class? I've seen some dates for September get thrown around, plus it would make sense given the emails that some people have received. Does September seem realistic?

4 hours ago, EAS said:

$91.00? Last time I requested it, I had to pay $110.00. I'm glad they lowered the price.

If you filled in the information to the best of your memory, that should do. Depending on how the timing works out, if they make you re-do your paperwork, since your original pre-employment paperwork is good for 90 calendar days, hopefully you'll have your printout by then and you'll be more accurate the second time around.

1 hour ago, Toba817 said:

Hey all, I happend to call up dcas to see where I'm at, I got a 93.75 & it mentioned that I am on outstanding certification. What does that mean? Thank you. 

This means that the hiring agency, in this case the Human Resources office of the New York City Transit Authority, has your information, such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, etc. Depending on how many people send back their pre-employment paperwork, and how fast they move with the list, in addition to your list number, will depend upon whether they will reach out to you or not. My particular list number for this exam is in the 4700's, so they have a while before they reach out to me.

1 hour ago, LEO1990 said:

I called up the number posted above and asked what list # they are up to for conductor 6601 and was told 1943. But that's all I was told. Does anyone know any more info regarding an upcoming class? I've seen some dates for September get thrown around, plus it would make sense given the emails that some people have received. Does September seem realistic?

If no one else posts a concrete answer to this question, all I'm going to say is "take an educated guess and go with it." Between the economic situation that most of us are in, including the MTA, in addition to the pandemic, who knows what's going to happen in the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, LEO1990 said:

September 8th for the next conductor class this was from the union VP. So probably this month they gonna have a lot of you guys take the medical if you don’t get held up on pre employment stuff 

31 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

$91.00? Last time I requested it, I had to pay $110.00. I'm glad they lowered the price.

If you filled in the information to the best of your memory, that should do. Depending on how the timing works out, if they make you re-do your paperwork, since your original pre-employment paperwork is good for 90 calendar days, hopefully you'll have your printout by then and you'll be more accurate the second time around.

This means that the hiring agency, in this case the Human Resources office of the New York City Transit Authority, has your information, such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, etc. Depending on how many people send back their pre-employment paperwork, and how fast they move with the list, in addition to your list number, will depend upon whether they will reach out to you or not. My particular list number for this exam is in the 4700's, so they have a while before they reach out to me.

If no one else posts a concrete answer to this question, all I'm going to say is "take an educated guess and go with it." Between the economic situation that most of us are in, including the MTA, in addition to the pandemic, who knows what's going to happen in the foreseeable future.

SO. I called my local SSA office. I spoke to a woman who was super helpful. She said sending everything overnight and having it sent back to me overnight might still take close to 10 business days. But as we spoke, we got a little small talk in. She has family also waiting to get in so I gave her the heads-up to make sure her fam has all of this employment history paperwork up to speed as no one told ME I would need it. She was appreciative and she read off all the info I needed right over the phone.

The info she provided did not have specific dates, just the year. And it didn't have specific company locations but rather had the EIN listed address. For example, a company I worked for had their corporate address listed (probably because that's where the checks were cut from) so I used the information provided and it helped me remember a lot of stuff. I did my best with the months and there was quite a bit I forgot about but they were mostly brief jobs that lasted a 1-3 months.

I was able to confidently submit my updated information. Even if the months are off just slightly, the information is complete and I am hopeful that this is all that they needed. I'll keep the community updated and hopefully my experiences will help others going forward.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, +Young+ said:

If the MTA is not planning on hiring due to Covid then why did they send out pre-employment packets to tons of people? It just wouldn't make sense to me, but who knows.

19 minutes ago, LEO1990 said:

If the MTA is not planning on hiring due to Covid then why did they send out pre-employment packets to tons of people? It just wouldn't make sense to me, but who knows.

Someone in the train operator forum got called to come on Tuesday for pre employment 

Edited by Schecter