Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
whatisacup

Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

SevenEleven

LIST STATUS UPDATE: 9/08/2019

This list HAS been established as of 2/14/2018.

PAY: $22.14 to start, raises to $31.63

TRAINING: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

HIGHEST LIST # CALLED: For initial P/E: (1800s); For Medical: (Last Known - 1300s)

CLASSES SCHEDULED FOR --

Message added by SevenEleven

Recommended Posts

On 8/7/2020 at 3:24 PM, EAS said:

SO. I called my local SSA office. I spoke to a woman who was super helpful....

Cheers.

Good for you!!

On 8/7/2020 at 5:20 PM, LEO1990 said:

If the MTA is not planning on hiring due to Covid then why did they send out pre-employment packets to tons of people? It just wouldn't make sense to me, but who knows.

I understand where you are coming from, however if you look at this page of the NYC Open Data website, and if you look at the last page of the TA Bus Operator 4600, 7612 and 9604 threads, how come there has been very little to no movement, especially with other members talking about submitting pre-employment paperwork, reporting for a drug (urine) test, etc.?

I agree it doesn't make sense, however we'll see what happens as time progresses. Just keep in mind that, from my personal experiences on the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street, if not all, most of the employees on that particular floor "don't work too hard."

Edited by +Young+
Emphasized "don't work too hard"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sfredo said:

Has anyone heard anything for next steps after submitting the pre employment paperwork?

Not yet. But they are up to the mid 1900s on the list. That's what they told me before blatantly hanging up on me like they do to anyone who calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sfredo said:

Has anyone heard anything for next steps after submitting the pre employment paperwork?

If all your pre employment is good then they'll email you again for an appointment for the drug test, and if you come back negative for drugs then they'll email you again for the medical, if you pass the medical then hopefully you get sworn in the same day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Schecter said:

If all your pre employment is good then they'll email you again for an appointment for the drug test, and if you come back negative for drugs then they'll email you again for the medical, if you pass the medical then hopefully you get sworn in the same day.

I sent in my pre-employment application and they emailed me telling me to be more thorough with the employment history. I did it then they called me (same person that emailed me) and asked me to just change the date for my current employer to "present" instead of the date I had entered. This was last week (wednesday?) so I think I am set. now I'm just waiting for the call for the drug test which will be NO issue as I don't do anything. I'm hoping to get through it all ASAP. I can't wait to leave my current job.

FYI to all that are getting pre-employment applications or expect to soon.

MAKE SURE YOU CAN ACCOUNT FOR ALL WORK HISTORY BACK TO WHEN YOU LEFT HIGH SCHOOL. I gave 15yrs experience and it wasn't enough. they need the full account. You can contact your local Social Security office and pay $91 for your earnings history. It'll only give the job and the year (maybe month? I'm not sure) but it'll be super helpful especially if you have a long work history either going back a long time or just a lot of jobs.

 

BEST OF LUCK ALL! See you on the other side. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EAS said:

I sent in my pre-employment application and they emailed me telling me to be more thorough with the employment history. I did it then they called me (same person that emailed me) and asked me to just change the date for my current employer to "present" instead of the date I had entered. This was last week (wednesday?) so I think I am set. now I'm just waiting for the call for the drug test which will be NO issue as I don't do anything. I'm hoping to get through it all ASAP. I can't wait to leave my current job.

FYI to all that are getting pre-employment applications or expect to soon.

MAKE SURE YOU CAN ACCOUNT FOR ALL WORK HISTORY BACK TO WHEN YOU LEFT HIGH SCHOOL. I gave 15yrs experience and it wasn't enough. they need the full account. You can contact your local Social Security office and pay $91 for your earnings history. It'll only give the job and the year (maybe month? I'm not sure) but it'll be super helpful especially if you have a long work history either going back a long time or just a lot of jobs.

 

BEST OF LUCK ALL! See you on the other side. :)

It took me 2 weeks to get the email to take the drug test after sending in my pre employment application, I sent pre employment out on the 30th of June and got emailed to take the drug test the 13th of August to come in on Friday the 14th of August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Schecter said:

It took me 2 weeks to get the email to take the drug test after sending in my pre employment application, I sent pre employment out on the 30th of June and got emailed to take the drug test the 13th of August to come in on Friday the 14th of August.

I sent mine on the 28th when I got it. But I guess with the updates needed for the employment history it pushed me back a bit. I'm hopeful they'll email me this week for the drug screen. Schecter, keep me posted if you don't mind, on how long it takes to get called for the medical next. I will assume it'll be this week as well.

How did the drug screen go? Did you have to stay there all day? Did you have to do anything else that day? Are we expected to get dressed up for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EAS said:

I sent mine on the 28th when I got it. But I guess with the updates needed for the employment history it pushed me back a bit. I'm hopeful they'll email me this week for the drug screen. Schecter, keep me posted if you don't mind, on how long it takes to get called for the medical next. I will assume it'll be this week as well.

How did the drug screen go? Did you have to stay there all day? Did you have to do anything else that day? Are we expected to get dressed up for it?

The drug test went fine I was scheduled to be there by 8:15am but got there at 7:45am and there was legit from what I saw me and 3 other people waiting to take the drug test I was done by 8:05am. No i didn't have to stay there all day just 20 minutes at most. I didn't do anything else that day, i just brought my documents that were requested in the email and that's it. I've seen people dressed up so i would dress up; I went in with my MTA uniform on. Feel free to ask my any question I'm here to help everybody with the process, there's no such thing as a dumb question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Schecter said:

The drug test went fine I was scheduled to be there by 8:15am but got there at 7:45am and there was legit from what I saw me and 3 other people waiting to take the drug test I was done by 8:05am. No i didn't have to stay there all day just 20 minutes at most. I didn't do anything else that day, i just brought my documents that were requested in the email and that's it. I've seen people dressed up so i would dress up; I went in with my MTA uniform on. Feel free to ask my any question I'm here to help everybody with the process, there's no such thing as a dumb question. 

I appreciate that, thanks. What docs do you need to bring with you for the drug test?

 

I don't work for MTA yet, so I'll come in a suit since I don't have uniform yet. I dress for the job I have now so it's no big deal anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EAS said:

I appreciate that, thanks. What docs do you need to bring with you for the drug test?

 

I don't work for MTA yet, so I'll come in a suit since I don't have uniform yet. I dress for the job I have now so it's no big deal anyway.

I went in for train operator so they asked me for my drivers license, original HS diploma, my social security card, and my birth certificate. For conductor they won't ask for your drivers license, but make sure you have a state ID, this is what they said for me to bring:

Original Social Security Card;

Original Birth Certificate, or a valid U.S. Passport, or Employment Authorization Card, or Naturalization Papers, or a Permanent Resident Card;

Verification of a motor vehicle driver's license valid in New York State

And you also must complete a covid 19 questionnaire which they well send you a link to before you go to the drug test site.

Edited by Schecter
added more information
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. SO I got an email this morning inviting me to 180 Livingston next week to bring my paperwork and do the drug test. I'm actually pretty excited by this.

 

Can anyone tell me how long it takes AFTER the drug test appt? What is the procedure from that point forward? Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EAS said:

Ok. SO I got an email this morning inviting me to 180 Livingston next week to bring my paperwork and do the drug test. I'm actually pretty excited by this.

 

Can anyone tell me how long it takes AFTER the drug test appt? What is the procedure from that point forward? Thanks in advance.

Good luck! May I ask what your list number is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EAS said:

Ok. SO I got an email this morning inviting me to 180 Livingston next week to bring my paperwork and do the drug test. I'm actually pretty excited by this.

 

Can anyone tell me how long it takes AFTER the drug test appt? What is the procedure from that point forward? Thanks in advance.

Well so far I'm going through the process for train operator and the process should be the same as for conductor. So after the drug test process and if the person passes they will send you an email telling you to fill out more paper work that you will have to bring to your medical appointment. I went for my drug test this past Friday and got an email to go in for my medical for train operator yesterday. I'm excited to see all my new co workers! Both conductors and train operators! Ready to rock and roll under these tubes! I've been a conductor so far for a year and 2 months, so if anybody has questions while in school car for conductor feel free to ask me any questions or advice and I'd be happy to help all of you guys/gals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Well so far I'm going through the process for train operator and the process should be the same as for conductor. So after the drug test process and if the person passes they will send you an email telling you to fill out more paper work that you will have to bring to your medical appointment. I went for my drug test this past Friday and got an email to go in for my medical for train operator yesterday. I'm excited to see all my new co workers! Both conductors and train operators! Ready to rock and roll under these tubes! I've been a conductor so far for a year and 2 months, so if anybody has questions while in school car for conductor feel free to ask me any questions or advice and I'd be happy to help all of you guys/gals

Thanks for the chance to ask questions. How was the job overall (conductor), and what does "outstanding certification" mean? Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toba817 said:

Thanks for the chance to ask questions. How was the job overall (conductor), and what does "outstanding certification" mean? Thanks. 

It's a good job, but comes with stresses as you'll learn once you're out on your own. Outstanding certification means they are reaching your number on the list, from what I understand. I was on an outstanding certification and also primary list and got called for the pre employment last month, to come in this month for the drug test and etc for train operator. And I lovr questions as long i have the right answers to satisfy everyone 😁. Everybody deserves to understand what's going on because i was like one of you guys waiting and now im a conductor so I understand the feeling of wanting to know as much as you can. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask that goes for anyone in here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

It's a good job, but comes with stresses as you'll learn once you're out on your own. Outstanding certification means they are reaching your number on the list, from what I understand. I was on an outstanding certification and also primary list and got called for the pre employment last month, to come in this month for the drug test and etc for train operator. And I lovr questions as long i have the right answers to satisfy everyone 😁. Everybody deserves to understand what's going on because i was like one of you guys waiting and now im a conductor so I understand the feeling of wanting to know as much as you can. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask that goes for anyone in here!

Thanks. I hear that if you fail a test in t/o training you are out. Is it recommended to become a conductor first to gain experience then attempt to be a t/o. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toba817 said:

Thanks. I hear that if you fail a test in t/o training you are out. Is it recommended to become a conductor first to gain experience then attempt to be a t/o. 

Yeah the signal exams you need a 100 on, because when you're out by yourself imagine coming across a signal and you're like oh crap what does that signal mean? There's a ton of signals and I'm nervous 😓 but I've had people who are train operators send me signal guides to study from but remembering their definitions verbatim is going to be challenging. But like you said being a conductor did help with knowing certain signals like i have a few memorized. But the pay and the me wanting to become a TSS if whats driving me to become a train operator. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LEO1990 said:

Good luck! May I ask what your list number is?

Hi Leo. I've seen that most people don't publicize their list number, I can tell you I was between 1900 and 2000 if that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Well so far I'm going through the process for train operator and the process should be the same as for conductor. So after the drug test process and if the person passes they will send you an email telling you to fill out more paper work that you will have to bring to your medical appointment. I went for my drug test this past Friday and got an email to go in for my medical for train operator yesterday. I'm excited to see all my new co workers! Both conductors and train operators! Ready to rock and roll under these tubes! I've been a conductor so far for a year and 2 months, so if anybody has questions while in school car for conductor feel free to ask me any questions or advice and I'd be happy to help all of you guys/gals

Thanks and good luck brother. I'm very excited for this opportunity. Is there anything that I should know going into medical and then school car training? Is there anything I can study for school car so I can make sure I do well there? I have been waiting SO long for this and I don't want to make ANY mistakes. I plan to retire from MTA.

Also. I used to work for the City back in the 1990's in ACS. (I believe it's called something else now, maybe DFS or something like that). Someone told me that I could pick up back where I left off in Tier 4 and buy back any time that I missed during my employment of 3.5 years. I understand it's up to Tier 6 now so being able to get back in Tier 4 would be fantastic. Do you have any info on that and who I would speak to once I get into the job? If you don't know, would you be able to find out who I can call or email to inquire?

Thanks man. I'm so hyped to move on to better things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Schecter said:

It's a good job, but comes with stresses as you'll learn once you're out on your own. Outstanding certification means they are reaching your number on the list, from what I understand. I was on an outstanding certification and also primary list and got called for the pre employment last month, to come in this month for the drug test and etc for train operator. And I lovr questions as long i have the right answers to satisfy everyone 😁. Everybody deserves to understand what's going on because i was like one of you guys waiting and now im a conductor so I understand the feeling of wanting to know as much as you can. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask that goes for anyone in here!

Interesting, it's odd because my number is far away from the current number they are at but hey if it's close my fingers are crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EAS said:

Thanks and good luck brother. I'm very excited for this opportunity. Is there anything that I should know going into medical and then school car training? Is there anything I can study for school car so I can make sure I do well there? I have been waiting SO long for this and I don't want to make ANY mistakes. I plan to retire from MTA.

Also. I used to work for the City back in the 1990's in ACS. (I believe it's called something else now, maybe DFS or something like that). Someone told me that I could pick up back where I left off in Tier 4 and buy back any time that I missed during my employment of 3.5 years. I understand it's up to Tier 6 now so being able to get back in Tier 4 would be fantastic. Do you have any info on that and who I would speak to once I get into the job? If you don't know, would you be able to find out who I can call or email to inquire?

Thanks man. I'm so hyped to move on to better things.

Make sure to read the rule book that they give you once you're sworn in, and to read the conductors book that you get in school car to follow up on any bulletins that pertains to your job as a conductor and other bulletins that supercede a ton of other stuff, the bulletin book you'll also get in school car, i wish I could share the books with you but I have them at home and don't know how to share certain information, or if I'm legally allowed to as well. The midterm and final exam for conductor is easy as long as you studied and remembered stuff that your TSS will repeatedly drill into your head until you're dreaming of transit, like I've been doing since I've started 🤣. And the practicals you have to pass are nerve wracking because the TSS watching you can't help you just do everything by the book no shortcuts or you'll fail the practical which if you fail they'll have you do it infront of the director or a superintendent. So you have 2 shots of trying, the final practical is actually on the road itself with a superintendent watching you. And I believe you can keep your tier 4 when you get into union hall you can ask them how would you go about doing that because I'm in tier 6 and it's hot garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Toba817 said:

Interesting, it's odd because my number is far away from the current number they are at but hey if it's close my fingers are crossed. 

Whats your list number anyways, don't post your actual list number. But you can always call the DCAS and see the number of the last appointed and go from their and see if they say anything about being on the primary list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Make sure to read the rule book that they give you once you're sworn in, and to read the conductors book that you get in school car to follow up on any bulletins that pertains to your job as a conductor and other bulletins that supercede a ton of other stuff, the bulletin book you'll also get in school car, i wish I could share the books with you but I have them at home and don't know how to share certain information, or if I'm legally allowed to as well. The midterm and final exam for conductor is easy as long as you studied and remembered stuff that your TSS will repeatedly drill into your head until you're dreaming of transit, like I've been doing since I've started 🤣. And the practicals you have to pass are nerve wracking because the TSS watching you can't help you just do everything by the book no shortcuts or you'll fail the practical which if you fail they'll have you do it infront of the director or a superintendent. So you have 2 shots of trying, the final practical is actually on the road itself with a superintendent watching you. And I believe you can keep your tier 4 when you get into union hall you can ask them how would you go about doing that because I'm in tier 6 and it's hot garbage.

Much appreciated man. I will do my best to study hard. Is there anything in particular that I need to stay focused on? Also how long is the training? I think I'll be fine. I usually test well even when i don't study. For this I will definitely study HARD. My career literally depends on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah the signal exams you need a 100 on, because when you're out by yourself imagine coming across a signal and you're like oh crap what does that signal mean? There's a ton of signals and I'm nervous 😓 but I've had people who are train operators send me signal guides to study from but remembering their definitions verbatim is going to be challenging. But like you said being a conductor did help with knowing certain signals like i have a few memorized. But the pay and the me wanting to become a TSS if whats driving me to become a train operator. 

You can do it schec. 💪🏾

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EAS said:

Much appreciated man. I will do my best to study hard. Is there anything in particular that I need to stay focused on? Also how long is the training? I think I'll be fine. I usually test well even when i don't study. For this I will definitely study HARD. My career literally depends on it.

Training is about 2 months and half if u remember 3 months the most  so let’s say u start September 8. Should be out on ur own by like early December. School car is not hard. Just pay attention in class ask questions if u need too. 

Edited by Riku
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.