Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

23 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Whats your list number anyways, don't post your actual list number. But you can always call the DCAS and see the number of the last appointed and go from their and see if they say anything about being on the primary list.

63xx I'm a long ways to go but with a 93.xx that's why I find it very odd to be on outstanding cert. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Riku said:

Training is about 2 months and half if u remember 3 months the most  so let’s say u start September 8. Should be out on ur own by like early December. School car is not hard. Just pay attention in class ask questions if u need too. 

Do you know if there is a scheduled class to begin Sept 8th?

2 minutes ago, EAS said:

Do you know if there is a scheduled class to begin Sept 8th?

The union VP said that’s the date for the new class. The way this thread is going sounds like that’s the case. Once u do ur drug test and it’s all good. You’ll get ur medical and u knock that out and get sworned in for the next class. 

17 minutes ago, EAS said:

Much appreciated man. I will do my best to study hard. Is there anything in particular that I need to stay focused on? Also how long is the training? I think I'll be fine. I usually test well even when i don't study. For this I will definitely study HARD. My career literally depends on it.

Just like @Riku said its not hard just in the end know your job, and don't listen to the TSS when they say that a train operator is your enemy lmao 😂  when i become a train operator i definitely won't be an enemy to any of my partners we're a team for 8 hours, but obviously if i go BIE and charge up and go pull that chord on me and let RCC know 🤣🤣🤣

Truth lol, honestly The main worry when doing ur job when u get out there is just hoping that the train operator knows what he’s doing. Lol that’s why u might here TSS try say the T/O ain’t on ur side. When y’all on the road it’s you and him/her against the world. Work with each other but y’all still have a job to do. Just know the difference between being buddy buddy and A co worker. 

1 minute ago, Riku said:

Truth lol, honestly The main worry when doing ur job when u get out there is just hoping that the train operator knows what he’s doing. Lol that’s why u might here TSS try say the T/O ain’t on ur side. When y’all on the road it’s you and him/her against the world. Work with each other but y’all still have a job to do. Just know the difference between being buddy buddy and A co worker. 

Yup I couldn't agree more with you on that one, just make sure you both know your job for the 8 or more hours, like yesterday there was a fight at 125 near my train operator's position close to the platform edge, and once they got inside our train near her position RCC and the TSS were telling me to close down so I said on the radio "I'm not going to close down and move this train unless they get off our train im not going to potentially endanger my train operator." And then when the 2 guys fighting got off the train RCC was like conductor close down I was like "no there's a 4 train with their doors opened and passengers are trying to get in our train, you know that i can't slam them with the doors and im operating as per school car." After I said that they stood shut 🤣

25 minutes ago, Riku said:

I can dig this. I'm not a young guy out of high school or even college. I've been working a long time and at my current job for 14+ years. I've learned the hard way that it's ok to be cool with people at work but there's definitely a need to keep from getting too personal.

Also, if that is the case and there's a class for Sept 8, that's VERY exciting. I don't do drugs or drink so I know that'll come back squeaky clean. I am also physically healthy so my medical should be fine. I don't wear glasses, have good hearing and I've never had issues with blood pressure. :)

Cheers to everyone that's answered questions and helped me so far. Schect, Riku, Young...and a few others. It's really been helpful for me during this time and all of the insights have gotten me here to this point where I previously had no resource for info.

4 minutes ago, EAS said:

Cheers to everyone that's answered questions and helped me so far. Schect, Riku, Young...and a few others. It's really been helpful for me during this time and all of the insights have gotten me here to this point where I previously had no resource for info.

You're welcome!!

1 hour ago, EAS said:

I can dig this. I'm not a young guy out of high school or even college. I've been working a long time and at my current job for 14+ years. I've learned the hard way that it's ok to be cool with people at work but there's definitely a need to keep from getting too personal.

Also, if that is the case and there's a class for Sept 8, that's VERY exciting. I don't do drugs or drink so I know that'll come back squeaky clean. I am also physically healthy so my medical should be fine. I don't wear glasses, have good hearing and I've never had issues with blood pressure. :)

You're welcome anytime that's what we are all here for! To help everybody at all times, like I mentioned before ask us all questions and we'll answer if we have an answer!

47 minutes ago, Schecter said:

thank you cant wait to eventually work with any of you! You guys/gals are amazing in every way possible.

I dunno how we can know for sure who we're working with but i will assume that Schecter is your last name so if I come axcros anyone with that name I'll def shout you out and ask if you're on the forums. It'll be cool to put a face to a name that was helpful and friendly.

Good luck with the TO position. Salute to all our essential workers!

Ok y'all. I have other questions now. Anyone can chime in, please.

1. I know someone that works as a conductor and I was able to borrow a Rules and Regulations book. Can anyone tell me what, if anything right now, I should be studying from here? It's a thick book. I don't want to read it randomly.

2. What if someone doesn't make it successfully through School Car? Would they be offered a different position, say as a station cleaner or such? I've seen cleaners that said they had scored low on other exams (like conductor) and still managed to secure a position cleaning until some later point in time when they may be able to retest.

3. What's the current starting salary/hourly rate for Conductors? I've heard different numbers thrown around. Does anyone know for certain? I'd like ot try and have an idea. Leaving my current job, I'm definitely going to be taking a pay cut (very happy to do so btw) so I'd like to try and figure how my monthly overhead will have to be adjusted until I can get back to where I am now as far as salary.

4. Is overtime available during school car? (most likely not) and/or is overtime available for new recruits after school car and during the probationary first year?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, EAS said:

Ok y'all. I have other questions now. Anyone can chime in, please.

1. I know someone that works as a conductor and I was able to borrow a Rules and Regulations book. Can anyone tell me what, if anything right now, I should be studying from here? It's a thick book. I don't want to read it randomly.

2. What if someone doesn't make it successfully through School Car? Would they be offered a different position, say as a station cleaner or such? I've seen cleaners that said they had scored low on other exams (like conductor) and still managed to secure a position cleaning until some later point in time when they may be able to retest.

3. What's the current starting salary/hourly rate for Conductors? I've heard different numbers thrown around. Does anyone know for certain? I'd like ot try and have an idea. Leaving my current job, I'm definitely going to be taking a pay cut (very happy to do so btw) so I'd like to try and figure how my monthly overhead will have to be adjusted until I can get back to where I am now as far as salary.

4. Is overtime available during school car? (most likely not) and/or is overtime available for new recruits after school car and during the probationary first year?

Thanks in advance.

1. The rulebook is for every single MTA employee so find and read through the sections that would apply to you as a conductor in RTO and the rules that apply to everyone.

2. I don't know the specific road to redemption if you're failing through school car but if you don't make it, you're gonna have to resign.

3. Current top pay rate is $32.99, so starting would be $23.09. (70% of top pay) This current contract will have top pay at $34.74 in 2022. ($26.39 for you, in 2022)

4. During, probably not since you aren't road qualified. After school car, yes. However, it isn't recommended to do OT during probation. The less time at work, the less chance for problems. But if you feel comfortable, do you. 

4 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

1. The rulebook is for every single MTA employee so find and read through the sections that would apply to you as a conductor in RTO and the rules that apply to everyone.

2. I don't know the specific road to redemption if you're failing through school car but if you don't make it, you're gonna have to resign.

3. Current top pay rate is $32.99, so starting would be $23.09. (70% of top pay) This current contract will have top pay at $34.74 in 2022. ($26.39 for you, in 2022)

4. During, probably not since you aren't road qualified. After school car, yes. However, it isn't recommended to do OT during probation. The less time at work, the less chance for problems. But if you feel comfortable, do you. 

This is helpful for sure, thank you. I currently make $29.50 p/h but I only log 36.5hrs a week. Clocking $23.09 for a 40hr work week brings me fairly close to my current biweekly net. Is the pay biweekly or bimonthly?

5 hours ago, EAS said:

This is helpful for sure, thank you. I currently make $29.50 p/h but I only log 36.5hrs a week. Clocking $23.09 for a 40hr work week brings me fairly close to my current biweekly net. Is the pay biweekly or bimonthly?

Pay is biweekly. You may see more than 40 hours after school car due to the nature of the Extra Extra list, as well as the road itself. 

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Pay is biweekly. You may see more than 40 hours after school car due to the nature of the Extra Extra list, as well as the road itself. 

Thanks SevenEleven. Can you tell me what the Extra Extra list is?

10 hours ago, EAS said:

Thanks SevenEleven. Can you tell me what the Extra Extra list is?

So let me explain the regular extra list first.

You're pretty much an extra body in the rotation everyday. You can either get a work assignment each day or you can be given a standby assignment, that can turn into work. You have set days off through the pick and the crew assignment office tries to keep you in your district.

The extra extra list is the same thing, except that your days off change every week and you can land an assignment throughout your division, as opposed to just your district.

Someone from RTO can explain this more in depth. 

1 hour ago, Kal123 said:

How long after the drug test is the medical?

Depends for me it took 2 days went in for the drug test Friday got an email Tuesday for medical. But like I said it depends because my friend went for the drug test the 12th and hasn't received an email for his medical yet. 

5 minutes ago, Sfredo said:

What should I wear to the drug test tomorrow? It did not say anything specific but was going to wear a polo short sleeve and like dressy chino shorts or maybe jeans. I dont know lol

That should be suffice, as long as you don't come in with Jordans with your pants sagging, honestly you're just going to pee in a cup, but what you just listed sounds good enough idk if shorts is a good idea though tbh lol 😆 I never seen someone come in shorts, you can also call if you want.

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

That should be suffice, as long as you don't come in with Jordans with your pants sagging, honestly you're just going to pee in a cup, but what you just listed sounds good enough idk if shorts is a good idea though tbh lol 😆 I never seen someone come in shorts, you can also call if you want.

Jeans and a polo it is hahaa ! Thank you man lol

3 hours ago, Sfredo said:

What should I wear to the drug test tomorrow? It did not say anything specific but was going to wear a polo short sleeve and like dressy chino shorts or maybe jeans. I dont know lol

The notice said business casual if I'm not mistake. I'm also going in for drug test tomorrow. I thought of wearing a suit. I may just do the shirt and tie with slacks or khaki pants. I'm also hoping that I get a quick response like Schecter. Someone else on this thread mentioned a class possibly starting in on Sept 8th. I'm very hopeful to make that class. Good luck to all of us heading down there tomorrow! I know I'll be earlier than scheduled because I know they also call more than just us from this specific list to come down for things like the drug test, etc.