Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

3 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

...lately on the lines I work on they’ve been ABD’ing intervals due to no conductor.

They are incredibly short right now so just stay patient and stay safe. Hopefully things pick up next year since they’ve certified for 200 names.

Stay safe and happy holidays everyone.

For those of us who do not work for the MTA and/or RTO, what does "ABD'ing" intervals mean?

Happy Holidays!!

Edited by +Young+

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

For those of us who do not work for the MTA and/or RTO, what does "ABD'ing" intervals mean?

Happy Holidays!!

ABDing is a dropped tripped or short for abandoned there's no crew to operate the train either missing a conductor a train operator or both 

On 12/28/2020 at 5:59 PM, Jchambers2120 said:

Sorry for the thread bump, but for those waiting stay patient they’ll get to you. They are starving for conductors right now, almost everyday on the radio I’m hearing them asking for conductors to work their day off, and lately on the lines I work on they’ve been ABD’ing intervals due to no conductor.

They are incredibly short right now so just stay patient and stay safe. Hopefully things pick up next year since they’ve certified for 200 names.

Stay safe and happy holidays everyone.

Ain't that the truth. They stay offering conductors O/T. Hell, there was a weekend about a month and  a half ago where a bunch of conductors were booking off on the F. The day after that, a bunch booked off on x jobs on the Q outta stillwell. Including my partner that day.

3 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Ain't that the truth. They stay offering conductors O/T. Hell, there was a weekend about a month and  a half ago where a bunch of conductors were booking off on the F. The day after that, a bunch booked off on x jobs on the Q outta stillwell. Including my partner that day.

Same thing over here in the A division, and from I heard are that a lot of people are going to be retiring after the holidays. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jchen1652 said:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/Day_1-Non-Driving-Titles.pdf

Does anyone know whether we have to fill out the last two pages of the PDF and advise how to fill it out? I presume it could be left blank if it doesn't apply. Thanks. 

Fill out section 2 as much as possible (name, potential title, agency, phone number, etc.)

For section 4, when it comes to the name of the organization, type "NONE."

Before you receive your appointment to report to the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street for employment processing, if there are any errors, they will let you know via e-mail.

Good luck!!

5 minutes ago, Charlie charles said:

did anyone have problems with getting the signatures to stamp in pre employment pdf??

If you open up the document in an internet browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, etc., you will have a problem. However, if you download the document and open it up using Adobe Acrobat reader on your desktop or laptop, you will not have a problem. I have not tried using a phone or iPad or anything to that nature, however that's just me.

Good luck!!

My list is in the low 1000's, I had them skip me a few times after they reached my list, then had asked them to reactivate my list #, I recently got an e-mail, "MTA NYCT is canvassing names on the Conductor Exam 6601 list in anticipation of making appointments. In order for you to be considered for this position, you must respond to this canvass, complete the enclosed pre-employment application form and submit any required document(s) to indicate your interest. "

What is current salary of MTA conductors? (starting, and top pay), is there forced overtime, or is there overtime there if you want it?

Also does anyone know once I fill out the pre-employment packet how long it usually takes to get hired after I go through all the steps? A few months? A year? 

Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Lekith said:

My list is in the low 1000's, I had them skip me a few times after they reached my list, then had asked them to reactivate my list #, I recently got an e-mail, "MTA NYCT is canvassing names on the Conductor Exam 6601 list in anticipation of making appointments. In order for you to be considered for this position, you must respond to this canvass, complete the enclosed pre-employment application form and submit any required document(s) to indicate your interest. "

What is current salary of MTA conductors? (starting, and top pay), is there forced overtime, or is there overtime there if you want it?

Also does anyone know once I fill out the pre-employment packet how long it usually takes to get hired after I go through all the steps? A few months? A year? 

Thanks. 

I believe the entry pay is $23.09 and there is no forced overtime unless you're on board(sitting for 8 hours hoping that phone doesn't ring and they send you somewhere) and pick up a job then you could work over 8 hours, there is overtime you'll just have to call to find out if there's any available and they'll ask you what you're looking for what tour you want to work and what train and they then give you a list of jobs that they have available and if you don't like what they have then be polite and say nevermind. It took like a month or less to get hired back when I was hired as a conductor in June of 2019.

2 hours ago, Camean said:

I received the email and I'm currently not interested in the job. However, that may change in the near future. How can I put this on hold so I can reactivate myself if necessary in the future?

Right now, you don't have to do anything. When you're ready, just send an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. When you do, make sure to include your full name, exam number, list number, social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list.

However, since you said "near future," I would recommend to start the hiring process since it takes a month or two to get the job, between the pre-employment paperwork, drug (urine) test, physical, final processing, followed by school car. However, the final decision is yours, respectively.

Good luck!

Edited by +Young+

13 hours ago, Schecter said:

I believe the entry pay is $23.09 and there is no forced overtime unless you're on board(sitting for 8 hours hoping that phone doesn't ring and they send you somewhere) and pick up a job then you could work over 8 hours, there is overtime you'll just have to call to find out if there's any available and they'll ask you what you're looking for what tour you want to work and what train and they then give you a list of jobs that they have available and if you don't like what they have then be polite and say nevermind. It took like a month or less to get hired back when I was hired as a conductor in June of 2019.

Do you enjoy your job? Lol. Damn, a month or two. I have a city job now, and I get paid way more even at top pay where Im at. I'd be taking a pay cut going to MTA. But I still want to keep my opportunities open. 

How long was training? How many hours a week do you work? Sorry for all the questions, Lol. 

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

Right now, you don't have to do anything. When you're ready, just send an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. When you do, make sure to include your full name, exam number, list number, social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list.

However, since you said "near future," I would recommend to start the hiring process since it takes a month or two to get the job, between the pre-employment paperwork, drug (urine) test, physical, final processing, followed by school car. However, the final decision is yours, respectively.

Good luck!

So, what if I go forward with it, go to the drug urine test, physical, and at the end of it all, I don't want to to go forward with getting hired, but also not removing my name from the list, in the hopes they can come back to my list before it expires?

I don't mind going through the process now, but I need more then 1 or 2 months to get hired, was hoping it take longer..... 

7 minutes ago, Lekith said:

Do you enjoy your job? Lol. Damn, a month or two. I have a city job now, and I get paid way more even at top pay where Im at. I'd be taking a pay cut going to MTA. But I still want to keep my opportunities open. 

How long was training? How many hours a week do you work? Sorry for all the questions, Lol. 

Don't be sorry at all I enjoy it but it comes with its own stress especially having a thick skin dealing with the public. Training started in June and ended in August if I'm not mistaken or July I don't have the school car syllabus anymore. You get a minimum of 40 hours but some weeks it's more than 40, anything after 8 hours in a day is counted towards OT, and anything after 40 hours in a work week is OT.

7 minutes ago, Lekith said:

So, what if I go forward with it, go to the drug urine test, physical, and at the end of it all, I don't want to to go forward with getting hired, but also not removing my name from the list, in the hopes they can come back to my list before it expires?

I don't mind going through the process now, but I need more then 1 or 2 months to get hired, was hoping it take longer..... 

Well for train operator I was called back on July 30th of 2020 and they wanted me to go to school car for train operator in September 21st 2020 but they called it off for me because a lot of people differed and came back. They recently called me again for train operator on Friday so let's see what happens.

Hi everyone,

I followed this thread for a few years periodically but just before the pandemic I began to give up hoping they'd call me. Friday night I got a phone call and the canvassing email. I'm going to respond but I have a conundrum - I can't find my GED anywhere. The turnaround for a new copy is 6-8 weeks and I havento respond with the paperwork by Wednesday. Is there someone I can call to explain the situation? If I send the documents without the GED, will someone reach out to me? I'd hate to lose this opportunity after all this time over something so trivial.

Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, TMFQuinn said:

Hi everyone,

I followed this thread for a few years periodically but just before the pandemic I began to give up hoping they'd call me. Friday night I got a phone call and the canvassing email. I'm going to respond but I have a conundrum - I can't find my GED anywhere. The turnaround for a new copy is 6-8 weeks and I havento respond with the paperwork by Wednesday. Is there someone I can call to explain the situation? If I send the documents without the GED, will someone reach out to me? I'd hate to lose this opportunity after all this time over something so trivial.

Thanks in advance. 

First of all, welcome to the Forums and thanks for registering as a member!

Second, I would initially send the documentation without the GED. Depending on how many other people who have a list number which is lower than yours responds to the canvass, chances are they will send you a reply stating that they can not continue until you either locate or obtain a duplicate copy of your GED. However, there is a chance that you might get "lucky" as far as the timing is concerned. If not, worse comes to worse, they'll just ask you to restore your name to the list.

What's good though about restoring your name to the list is that this is a "Civil Service" examination in which your list number stays the same, in addition to the fact that the agency is required to go in list number order to fill the vacancies. As a result, when the agency sends out the next canvass email, you will have priority over those who have a higher list number, including myself, since my list number for this particular examination is in the 4700's.

Good luck!!

22 hours ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome to the Forums and thanks for registering as a member!

Second, I would initially send the documentation without the GED. Depending on how many other people who have a list number which is lower than yours responds to the canvass, chances are they will send you a reply stating that they can not continue until you either locate or obtain a duplicate copy of your GED. However, there is a chance that you might get "lucky" as far as the timing is concerned. If not, worse comes to worse, they'll just ask you to restore your name to the list.

What's good though about restoring your name to the list is that this is a "Civil Service" examination in which your list number stays the same, in addition to the fact that the agency is required to go in list number order to fill the vacancies. As a result, when the agency sends out the next canvass email, you will have priority over those who have a higher list number, including myself, since my list number for this particular examination is in the 4700's.

Good luck!!

Did you get called +young+?