Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Hey everyone! 
I just received the call and email to respond to canvass Friday 1/08. I have submitted the application and responded to the canvass with required documents. 
Can anyone tell me what is the response time from the submission of the application? 
Also what is the entry level pay rate for anyone who was recently hired?

I’m worried about a pay cut but for Transit it is worth it in the long run. I wanna know what I’m working with though lol.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome to the Forums and thanks for registering as a member!

Second, I would initially send the documentation without the GED. Depending on how many other people who have a list number which is lower than yours responds to the canvass, chances are they will send you a reply stating that they can not continue until you either locate or obtain a duplicate copy of your GED. However, there is a chance that you might get "lucky" as far as the timing is concerned. If not, worse comes to worse, they'll just ask you to restore your name to the list.

What's good though about restoring your name to the list is that this is a "Civil Service" examination in which your list number stays the same, in addition to the fact that the agency is required to go in list number order to fill the vacancies. As a result, when the agency sends out the next canvass email, you will have priority over those who have a higher list number, including myself, since my list number for this particular examination is in the 4700's.

Good luck!!

Thanks! I wish I would have seen this sooner. I didn't catch the notification until just now. I'm going to submit the paperwork without the GED if push comes to shove, but I left a voicemail with Emma Marie Rivera just in case to try and get a firmer answer. 

Thanks for the welcome and the assistance! 

12 minutes ago, Charlie charles said:

after sending pre employment application with all documents.....do they confirm that they received?? 

No they don't but if everything is good they'll send you another email to come in for the drug test. If you're missing documents or missing something in the application then they'll let you know.

On 1/12/2021 at 3:18 PM, Hoakes said:

Hey everyone! 
I just received the call and email to respond to canvass Friday 1/08. I have submitted the application and responded to the canvass with required documents. 
Can anyone tell me what is the response time from the submission of the application? 
Also what is the entry level pay rate for anyone who was recently hired?

I’m worried about a pay cut but for Transit it is worth it in the long run. I wanna know what I’m working with though lol.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm getting a pay cut going into transit lol. But it may be worth it. 

19 minutes ago, Lekith said:

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm getting a pay cut going into transit lol. But it may be worth it. 

There are so many great benefits and the job is a lot more secure than what I am doing now. The paycut should certainly be worth it. I’m excited.

1 hour ago, dman1455 said:

I'm 48XX. Eventually they'll reach our numbers it's just gonna take some time. I doubt they'll come out with another C/R exam for a while and instead opt to extend this list maybe once or twice.

I think earlier in the thread its been mentioned that the last test was extended ten years. Don't give up. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie charles said:

got an appointment/canvass letter to go to 180 livingston street, 5th floor for tomorrow. is this the drug test? and will this be a all day situation considering they give a time to come in for the appointment??

No it shouldn't be I went in for the drug test last week Thursday at 8:30am for train operator, fill out all the documents and send it in and fill out the covid questionnaire they sent out as well, they will go over your paperwork making sure everything is correct bring in all the required documents, and then when everything looks good you'll do the drug test and pee in the cup once you're done with the drug test see the person at the front desk letting them know you're done, and they'll most likely say to wait for a call or email. If the drug test room is full as per covid guidelines then they will tell you to wait in the big room and to have a seat and then the drug test nurse will call your name so be attentive, and then you'll wait in the small room to be called again to go see the nurse for the drug test. I went in last week at 8:30am and left around 9:30ish. Also when the guy at the front desk gives you the paper to go to the drug test make sure you get it stamped in the drug test room stick the paper all the way in the stamp machine onced stamped put it in the slot adjacent from the stamp machine and have a seat. 

1 minute ago, Charlie charles said:

thankvyou so much @Schecter. after this step is the medical portion? how long before they call you for medical portion  and what does it entail??

Yeah it should be the medical/ final processing which entails answering questions on a PC based on your own health, and then you see the TA doctors and they check your BP, EKG, weight, neck size (sleep apnea), your vision, an Ishihara test(color blind test), and check your hearing as well, if everything is all good then you should be good to go and then you get sworn in and get your rulebook and they discuss your pay rate, and then tell you when you have to appear for the first day of class and the type of uniform you have to wear for the time being until you get your measurements taken for your actual uniform which is free the TA uniform. 

15 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Also ladies and gentlemen I spoke to a TSS yesterday who was a school car TSS now he's on the road, he told me yesterday that the MTA received their budget so they're going to be hiring 200 conductors and 200 train operators as well so check your emails 👀

Thank you! Checking my email every 5 mins ! 

I see everyone is happy and being helped by other members with getting hired for the Conductor position. 

Without going into too much detail, I have not received a canvass yet, and my list # is way below what Transit is up to (I'm in the low 1300's), bc I've been skipped over numerous times; I am a Transit employee and due to circumstances which I had nothing to do with, certain people in power have barred me from being transferred, though my direct superiors say its bs - in so many words.  I have attempted to reach Patricia Lodge and Emma Rivera numerous times via email/fax/USPS and vm, from the contact info a couple of pages back, and none of my correspondence has been returned.  I have waited years for  this transfer and am not being allowed to switch positions, though I have a good employment record, with min sick days used, and a nearly spotless record in my several years of Transit service; with one issue, again which I had nothing to do with, rather it involved another MTA employee. 

Does anyone have any advice on who to contact in order to raise a bell and see why I have been skipped, since Lodge and Rivera have ignored my requests; or to canvass my name before I miss out on this hiring; (btw, I have been skipped at least 3 times as of now, to my knowledge)  Thank you.  

For those of you waiting and hoping to join Transit, this is the tip of the iceberg for how management will treat you; if you dont believe me, as co workers. the only good thing about Transit is the pay and benefits.  Good luck to you

4 minutes ago, Charlie charles said:

what weight/bmi/neck size is in the clear and are they doing sleep apnea testing??

Not sure but WebMD mentions "

More than half of people with obstructive sleep apnea are either overweight or obese, which is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 25-29.9 or 30.0 or above, respectively. In adults, excess weight is the strongest risk factor associated with obstructive sleep apnea.

Each unit increase in BMI is associated with a 14% increased risk of developing sleep apnea, and a 10% weight gain increases the odds of developing moderate or severe obstructive sleep apnea by six times. "

But it's bs because a healthy skinny individual can also have sleep apnea 

20 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Anytime, anything to help all my fellow Co workers.

Do you know what the starting pay rate is? My grandfather retired from MTA in 2000 he was a train operator. He told me they go based off your work experience and education. Is this true?

1 hour ago, Charlie charles said:

got an appointment/canvass letter to go to 180 livingston street, 5th floor for tomorrow. is this the drug test? and will this be a all day situation considering they give a time to come in for the appointment??

Hi Charlie, 

congrats on your hiring process! When you sent the pre-application in did they call you or email you for the drug test? I think we’re in the same boat because I emailed mine back to the on the 12th of January. I had a deadline of January 13th.