Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, BreeBree said:

Awesome!! Well I'm a bit older lol. I've been an opera and Broadway singer for 20 years lol. I should have gotten off that ride a long time ago. But I am amped for this new chapter in my life! I will climb my 50+ good looking (though plump) booty up that train🤣🤣🤣 if they tell me how I will make it so( a la Captain Piccard)

I hope to meet you one day. I’m in B division. If you dunno what that is, it’s the letter likes. A division is the number lines. You’ll do just fine, I’m sure. Welcome to career changes! This was one for me as well. 

26 minutes ago, VKravitz said:

@EAS so how does it feel to be out there on your own? Honestly

I’ll be as honest as I can. At first? It was nerve wracking. But, everyone is super dismissive about it like “it’s no big deal, you’ll get used to it”. My first 2 weeks out, I hardly slept I was over-thinking and excessively worried about things that could happen. It’s really not that serious. School car is intense. When you’re on the road, it’s way toned down. There’s days that can be really annoying, as you’ll see, but it’s honestly not bad at all. You’ll make it worse for yourself by over-worrying than it actually is (as I did to myself, but that’s my nature lol)

6 minutes ago, EAS said:

I’ll be as honest as I can. At first? It was nerve wracking. But, everyone is super dismissive about it like “it’s no big deal, you’ll get used to it”. My first 2 weeks out, I hardly slept I was over-thinking and excessively worried about things that could happen. It’s really not that serious. School car is intense. When you’re on the road, it’s way toned down. There’s days that can be really annoying, as you’ll see, but it’s honestly not bad at all. You’ll make it worse for yourself by over-worrying than it actually is (as I did to myself, but that’s my nature lol)

Okok, I work for the post office now, actually I’ve been a mail man for the last five years.. so I know all about dealing with tons of people everyday..(some nice, some lunatics and the ones that just won’t stop talking), so that’s the easy part lol. I will take your advice though and try not to over think anything.. you are on point with that one . Thank you! 

2 hours ago, EAS said:

I hope to meet you one day. I’m in B division. If you dunno what that is, it’s the letter likes. A division is the number lines. You’ll do just fine, I’m sure. Welcome to career changes! This was one for me as well. 

I hope so too! I'm hoping for A division as I live in the Bronx. But truthfully I don't care. I just want to be in there. My uncle worked for transit as an engineer he designed the track work for Jamaica/Archer station that brought in the LIRR and my grandfather was a Pullman Porter. I've wanted to work at this agency my whole life. So I'm super excited to get into my second dream! I know...sounds corny but it's true. Thanks for answering questions and being an ear. It's great hearing from someone who isn't "jaded" to the job encourage hopefully new employees. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, VKravitz said:

Okok, I work for the post office now, actually I’ve been a mail man for the last five years.. so I know all about dealing with tons of people everyday..(some nice, some lunatics and the ones that just won’t stop talking), so that’s the easy part lol. I will take your advice though and try not to over think anything.. you are on point with that one . Thank you! 

What are your work hours like? What were training hours like?

10 minutes ago, VKravitz said:

Currently a  Normal day I’m working from 8am until 830pm. 5 days a week.. training was cool . Normal 8 until 4 but that was back in 2016 . They changed things now. 

Ahh ok. How long is school car? How long till you get there?

Keep that enthusiasm Bree! School car is approx 8-9 weeks. Your first week will be a bunch of orientations. After that, you’ll be in actual training for about 4 weeks or so. You’ll have a midterm and yard practical, then go posting. Posting means that you’ll be working as a conductor, but will have another conductor with you. You’ll have to post once on each line in the division you’re in. A division has less than B division. After posting, you’ll go back for your final and road practical. 

they say the hardest part is the yard practical. I’d only agree because it’s your first time putting all you learned into practice, but in a train yard which is a safer environment. I’ll say the same as mostly everyone told me. Don’t sweat the small stuff. You’ll do fine. Just pay attention and take at least fairly decent notes. 

Wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing this info. It helps immensely. I feel like I won't be "blind" now. I hope I can continue to reach out to you for questions and advice. 

Have a good night.  I'll keep posting updates 

"Never give up never surrender "

49 minutes ago, BreeBree said:

Wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing this info. It helps immensely. I feel like I won't be "blind" now. I hope I can continue to reach out to you for questions and advice. 

Have a good night.  I'll keep posting updates 

"Never give up never surrender "

No worries. It would be blasphemous if I didn’t pay it forward. I had some good info and supporters when I was in the same position as you last August. Besides. It’s in my nature to be helpful. Ask away, whether myself or anyone else on here, we’re all in this together regardless of new or old. Cheers and good night!

Hi everyone

I got a call yesterday to come in this Monday for a pre employment drug test at 180 Livingston.

I am currently a bus operator and most likely have to work Monday, what can I do so that I can be able to make the appointment this Monday?

Can they accommodate me in some way or deny me the opportunity to keep this Monday appointment?

Thank You

51 minutes ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

I got a call yesterday to come in this Monday for a pre employment drug test at 180 Livingston.

I am currently a bus operator and most likely have to work Monday, what can I do so that I can be able to make the appointment this Monday?

Can they accommodate me in some way or deny me the opportunity to keep this Monday appointment?

Thank You

Call the crew and the union and let them know. They have to accommodate you.

1 hour ago, VKravitz said:

Oh wow congrats that’s awesome !! Everything is falling into place! . I haven’t got anything yet 😩

I bet it comes tomorrow.  We went to drug test the same day. It might be list number or last name for medical.  Keep us posted😊

Afternoon all. Look forward to seeing and working with ya in the near future. For those about to start schoolcar soon, best of luck. Any questions feel free to ask your instructors and any conductor (including myself) who has been on the job for a while now