Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Today in school car we are walking the tunnels and will let a train bypass us  lol for those that are waiting to be called and or start for conductor , I just want to say this. Take everything you think you know about transit/being a conductor and crumble it throw it away lol I’ve been in school car a few weeks and what an experience this has been LOL just a heads up depending on the division you choose, you will be doing classes at each train yard all over the 5 boroughs. you’re going to be going learn how to cross the tracks and third rail properly, climb up on the R68 train (it’s the hardest one to climb, so you if can’t do it, you can’t continue. Google R68 train to get an idea) you’re not only going to walk on the catwalk on the elevated tracks but also cross it and let a train bypass you which was by far the most terrifyingly fun experience ever lol if you’re scared of heights, don’t look down and when a train bypass you, make sure you stand up straight and don’t lean forward for obvious safety reasons lol also one more thing, at the beginning, once you split into classes, everything is going to seem too much/anxiety inducing and or confusing at first but trust me, it gets so much easier once you’re in the train yards and on each actual train learning! It’s not hard at all, especially if you study and read what they tell you. My favorite parts so far has been the road operations which we got to practice on  an R179 new tech train on an actual train line. We went down the A/C line from Dyckman Street to Euclide Avenue and back, practicing opening doors and making manual announcements at each stop. (No customers on, wait to you see their angry faces)  Good luck!! This will be fun for most!!

Edited by exj16

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, exj16 said:

Today in school car we are walking the tunnels and will let a train bypass us  lol for those that are waiting to be called and or start for conductor , I just want to say this. Take everything you think you know about transit/being a conductor and crumble it throw it away lol I’ve been in school car a few weeks and what an experience this has been LOL just a heads up depending on the division you choose, you will be doing classes at each train yard all over the 5 boroughs. you’re going to be going learn how to cross the tracks and third rail properly, climb up on the R68 train (it’s the hardest one to climb, so you if can’t do it, you can’t continue. Google R68 train to get an idea) you’re not only going to walk on the catwalk on the elevated tracks but also cross it and let a train bypass you which was by far the most terrifyingly fun experience ever lol if you’re scared of heights, don’t look down and when a train bypass you, make sure you stand up straight and don’t lean forward for obvious safety reasons lol also one more thing, at the beginning, once you split into classes, everything is going to seem too much/anxiety inducing and or confusing at first but trust me, it gets so much easier once you’re in the train yards and on each actual train learning! It’s not hard at all, especially if you study and read what they tell you. My favorite parts so far has been the road operations which we got to practice on  an R179 new tech train on an actual train line. We went down the A/C line from Dyckman Street to Euclide Avenue and back, practicing opening doors and making manual announcements at each stop. (No customers on, wait to you see their angry faces)  Good luck!! This will be fun for most!!

You, my friend have just gotten me super excited!

On 8/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

has anyone been told that you must be vaccinated in order to continue the hiring process for this title?

If yes, did they say that you can request an exemption?

Thank You

You don't have to be vaccinated to continue the hiring process. But if you are hired and not vaccinated by 9/6, you will have to get tested weekly.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:18 AM, Finallynyc said:

Good Morning.  Two weeks in and midterms is approaching.  Does anyone know what to expect on the pratical? Road?

Also any tips to help with the improper zoning procedures.  I get a lil flustered on that part.  

Improperly zoned trains no problem. Just know which direction you are going in and make sure the 6th car is zoned up. If it us the MDC will be in term. If not then the other car is zoned up. If doors are open announce doors will be closing and reopening sweep platform close rear to front. Rezone and zone up the correct position. Open window!!! Aknowledge the conductor board and insert MDC turn to run and open up.

Station stops, leaving the terminal,  short stops, station overruns and definitely cutting out doors and car isolation 

Just now, BreeBree said:

Improperly zoned trains no problem. Just know which direction you are going in and make sure the 6th car is zoned up. If it is the MDC will be in term. If not then the other car is zoned up. If doors are open announce doors will be closing and reopening sweep platform close rear to front. Dezone and zone up the correct position. Open window!!! Aknowledge the conductor board and insert MDC turn to run and open up.

Station stops, leaving the terminal,  short stops, station overruns and definitely cutting out doors and car isolation 

Hey, does anyone know if they’ve extended this list? I read somewhere that said it’s supposed to expire February 2022. I’m list #33** so I feel I’m pretty close, but February might be too close, lol, fingers crossed it got extended and if not eventually does.

30 minutes ago, Stru385 said:

Hey, does anyone know if they’ve extended this list? I read somewhere that said it’s supposed to expire February 2022. I’m list #33** so I feel I’m pretty close, but February might be too close, lol, fingers crossed it got extended and if not eventually does.

This list will be extended. Maybe even for two years. There is no way they are going to have exams and create a new list in the middle of a pandemic. You're more than fine. 

46 minutes ago, Harlem said:

This list will be extended. Maybe even for two years. There is no way they are going to have exams and create a new list in the middle of a pandemic. You're more than fine. 

How about someone like me who has a list number in the 22,000 range? Will we ever get called?

18 hours ago, Harlem said:

I'm high #2700's and just got a call for a drug test on Friday. No email yet. Wonder what the date of the Sept class will be?

Good to hear !! I’m 279* I haven’t gotten a call yet. Hoping it comes very soon! 

So I got placed on medical hold due to 3 issues.

One was an old back injury I had in 2018 when I fell down the stairs, it's healed up and I don't have issues from it.

Another is I'm type 2 diabetic, but my A1c is in check.

Last one was I was seeing a mental health counseling center from 2015-2019. I don't suffer from depression or anxiety anymore.

My Primary Care Physician (PCP) can clear me for the first two, but referred me to a psychiatrist for evaluation. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist wouldn't see any new patients, and I couldn't find any that took my health insurance that was also seeing new patients or willing to do a one time evaluation. My PCP rejected the letter from the director of the counseling center who went over my records and said I was fine and all my issues were in remission as of 2019. (The counseling clinic I went to currently has a two month wait for new patients.)

Finally got the issue with a psychological evaluation cleared up last week. 

The new problem is, it took so long to try to clear the medical hold, I got dropped off the list and need to have my name restored. I e-mailed LMACustomerService@dcas.nyc.gov on August 9th, but still haven't gotten a response. I've tried calling them at (212) 669-1357 multiple times, nobody picks up the phone. I went through the earlier threads on this post and tried e-mailing certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov, but I still haven't received a response.

Anyone have any ideas?

18 minutes ago, Sammohung said:

So I got placed on medical hold due to 3 issues.

One was an old back injury I had in 2018 when I fell down the stairs, it's healed up and I don't have issues from it.

Another is I'm type 2 diabetic, but my A1c is in check.

Last one was I was seeing a mental health counseling center from 2015-2019. I don't suffer from depression or anxiety anymore.

My Primary Care Physician (PCP) can clear me for the first two, but referred me to a psychiatrist for evaluation. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist wouldn't see any new patients, and I couldn't find any that took my health insurance that was also seeing new patients or willing to do a one time evaluation. My PCP rejected the letter from the director of the counseling center who went over my records and said I was fine and all my issues were in remission as of 2019. (The counseling clinic I went to currently has a two month wait for new patients.)

Finally got the issue with a psychological evaluation cleared up last week. 

The new problem is, it took so long to try to clear the medical hold, I got dropped off the list and need to have my name restored. I e-mailed LMACustomerService@dcas.nyc.gov on August 9th, but still haven't gotten a response. I've tried calling them at (212) 669-1357 multiple times, nobody picks up the phone. I went through the earlier threads on this post and tried e-mailing certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov, but I still haven't received a response.

Anyone have any ideas?

What's your list number? When were you initally called originally for medical and final processing?