Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

I got to the protest late and I was there maybe 15 minutes the most and there seemed to be more than 8 people in the room. 5/22 am question #47 deals with the two local trains operating local in Brooklyn during late nights. Based on the question, there are two correct answers. The J and R trains. Local in Brooklyn is the key.

No! That was a trick question! I thought the same thing you did at first. Then I looked closely and saw that the question asked which train in the schedule only had local service for that line AND NO OTHER SERVICE ON THAT LINE.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it doesn't matter now, I guess. I did some research. From the last conductor exam, 8094, which was held in 2008 people who scored 96.0 were in the top 2000. They didn't get hired until 2014!

I am really pissed off at myself, I expected to get 100. Instead, I got a lousy 92.5. That is no good. Looking back at the questions I got wrong today, I can't believe I missed them. I really wanted this job. Even if they extended the list for as long as 8094 was, I would still need three questions thrown out to get in off this list. Smh.

Well it doesn't matter now, I guess. I did some research. From the last conductor exam, 8094, which was held in 2008 people who scored 96.0 were in the top 2000. They didn't get hired until 2014!

I am really pissed off at myself, I expected to get 100. Instead, I got a lousy 92.5. That is no good. Looking back at the questions I got wrong today, I can't believe I missed them. I really wanted this job. Even if they extended the list for as long as 8094 was, I would still need three questions thrown out to get in off this list. Smh.

The eligible list for Exam No. 8094 was extended twice once it was established and made public. I also believe that there was a hiring freeze at a point which did not allow people fromthe eligible list to be hired. So while yes people are still being hired in 2016 from an exam that was administered in 2008, this is not the norm.

Like many have said, the only thing we all can do is wait for the eligible list to be finalized and released. No one knows exactly how many people took this exam. There are many numbers being thrown around here but none of it has been official. Six wrong questions could very well get you hired but it will not get you hired on day one of hiring from the list. People are whipping themselves up into an unnecessary frenzy at this point. Most of us knew this was going to be a very lengthy process so all we can do is wait for the process to shake out.

I second what Nana said. If you meet the requirements file for the Train Operator exam or any MTA exam you qualify for. 

This exam was givin on 10 different dates, with an am and a pm exam for 9 dates. The last date didnt specify am or pm or both. I took the exam on 4/23/16 in the pm. There was about 1000 people that took it then and one of the people working there said that 1000 people took it in the am. So take 2000 on average for 10 dates and you get 20,000 people took the exam. So there you go (((20,000))) people took this exam. Your Welcome.

This exam was givin on 10 different dates, with an am and a pm exam for 9 dates. The last date didnt specify am or pm or both. I took the exam on 4/23/16 in the pm. There was about 1000 people that took it then and one of the people working there said that 1000 people took it in the am. So take 2000 on average for 10 dates and you get 20,000 people took the exam. So there you go (((20,000))) people took this exam. Your Welcome.

No, it does not matter how many took the exam, what matters is how many they need. If they keep the list open for four years, minus any hiring freeze, how far down will they get before it expires?

btw I do not meet the requirements for TO yet.

If you didn't score at least 96, it is not good odds. Read this page:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/13097-conductor-exam-8094/page-9

I may have a chance though, read SubwayGuy's post here, #36:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/47706-conductor-exam-6601-open-competitive/page-4

About 3500-4000 get called. I wonder how many they will call. I wonder where I would land on the final list. I protested every wrong question, just in case. Maybe it would depend on how many questions got struck, and how many people failed the drug tests or whatever other requirements, or asked for deferments, or simply didn't want the job anymore.

Edited by ren

If you didn't score at least 96, it is not good odds. Read this page:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/13097-conductor-exam-8094/page-9

I may have a chance though, read SubwayGuy's post here, #36:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/47706-conductor-exam-6601-open-competitive/page-4

About 3500-4000 get called. I wonder how many they will call. I wonder where I would land on the final list. I protested every wrong question, just in case. Maybe it would depend on how many questions got struck, and how many people failed the drug tests or whatever other requirements, or asked for deferments, or simply didn't want the job anymore.

Thanks for pointing me in that thread's direction; very good info there. Soon, we will be those guys. If they reached past 5,000 with our list then I think most of us on here should be good. I missed 3 questions but I'm hoping for a revised final answer key.

No, it does not matter how many took the exam, what matters is how many they need. If they keep the list open for four years, minus any hiring freeze, how far down will they get before it expires?

btw I do not meet the requirements for TO yet.

This exam was givin on 10 different dates, with an am and a pm exam for 9 dates. The last date didnt specify am or pm or both. I took the exam on 4/23/16 in the pm. There was about 1000 people that took it then and one of the people working there said that 1000 people took it in the am. So take 2000 on average for 10 dates and you get 20,000 people took the exam. So there you go (((20,000))) people took

Actually, from going through this forum from the beginning i saw that the exam was given at multiple schools on thise dates, both am and pm. I believed i counted about 3 or 4 different schools, i dont quite remember. Mine was james madison high

I think we need to all stop worrying about what list number will be called, I know we are all shooting for our number to be called but I think we should stop worrying until the list comes out, there is no positive way to determine "how far do you think they'll reach?" @ REN.. just stay confident and put it in the back of your head, we still have to wait until FEB of 2017 for the last list to expire...

I went today to the protest session and everyone there had more than 6+ wrong, some guy was even happy that he passed....I think we are worrying to much because we are actually serious about this...I contested question 53 for the pm session. It went something " if a person with a heavy accent comes to you for directions what is the most appropriate thing to do"... The correct answer for this question in the answer key was to give the man a pen and pencil and for him to write in his native language...my rebuttal went something like this " if the mans native language was French, German, or Hungarian how would I know what he is writing in the paper if I can only read and write English." The answer I chose was "to direct the man to the closest subway map" because he would have more luck with a picture and a diagram then me reading his native language that he has written for me in pencil or pen ..what do you think guys?

sorry for the lengthy post.

im sorry for posting this post again, but maybe we can ween away from list numbers when their is no list made yet and we can try to help each other for questions we protested to see if we could all benefit from it..

It's frustrating because so much is unknown, and we all want to be called. Things were funky with the prior conductor and train operator lists because of the multi-year hiring freezes.

Once the conducor list is established they may "process" (send out letters to come in for drug tests) upwards of 2000 people per year. They may actually hire (put in class and on payroll) perhaps 600-750 per year.

They always contact far more people for initial processing than are actually hired, because some people can't be reached, don't want the job, test dirty, or are disqualified for things like criminal history before they can be placed in school car.

There is also the oral proficiency test which "may" be required of applicants for this test. That would be a screening device that would knock out some otherwise qualified, high scoring applicants.

I think more people will be called up than people on this forum expect, but it may take longer than we would like.

It's frustrating because so much is unknown, and we all want to be called. Things were funky with the prior conductor and train operator lists because of the multi-year hiring freezes.

Once the conducor list is established they may "process" (send out letters to come in for drug tests) upwards of 2000 people per year. They may actually hire (put in class and on payroll) perhaps 600-750 per year.

They always contact far more people for initial processing than are actually hired, because some people can't be reached, don't want the job, test dirty, or are disqualified for things like criminal history before they can be placed in school car.

There is also the oral proficiency test which "may" be required of applicants for this test. That would be a screening device that would knock out some otherwise qualified, high scoring applicants.

I think more people will be called up than people on this forum expect, but it may take longer than we would like.

Do you know this for a fact? That they will call up 2000 people per year?

The lady at the protest session yesterday told me 6601 would be open for 4 years. At the rate you claim they process applicants, they would call up 8000 people then. But on the 8094 thread, I see people from that 2008 exam who were 5600(or something) only NOW being called up. You sure they gonna reach 5600 in 3-4 years?

contacted them and this is what I got... "The protest sessions for Conductor 6601 is over.  Given the number of people who took the test, we are very likely to find any problems with all the questions."[/size]

They actually said they are very LIKELY to find problems with the questions?

contacted them and this is what I got... "The protest sessions for Conductor 6601 is over.  Given the number of people who took the test, we are very likely to find any problems with all the questions."

They actually said they are very LIKELY to find problems with the questions?

Yeah, that's a very interesting statement there; interesting grammar.

I'm not sure, Ren. I'm not making promises. Keep in mind there was essentially no hiring and no processing of applicants for several years from the 8094 conductor exam.

I just want to be sure I understood you correctly: they call 2000 people up a year and 1250 or so are passed over for whatever reason? In such a case, with a score like 92 I could be called in 2-3 years!