Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

3 hours ago, Fifo14 said:

That will be a big problem. Life is short man, and we all need work/life balance. If I need to do brutal OT in order to make 100K then I must put everything on a scale. Yes, the pension is good, but with all the OT you barely have time to do nothing else than working and devoting your life to NYCT. What about time for you to invest in you and your family, how do you grow your money if all you got is time to work?
How does it work? How long does it take for you to apply for promotions or department transfers? How hard would it be for anyone to go from C/R to IT? Is there an exam to go directly into IT? Would it be less convenient as far as transferring pay scale for C/R to IT? Maybe someone has some input.

Based off your post as someone with 3 years on the job I'm going to be honest and say this probably isn't the right position for you. After you finish schoolcar you'll be XX (Extra extra) and your schedule will be determined by the Crew Office (Screw office) and they like to do things like giving you the earliest possible report time on your Monday, and the latest possible job on your Friday so it's hard to really enjoy your RDO's. I'm currently extra extra and have AM's & with weekends off now due to my "seniority" on the XX list, but being that you'll be at the bottom of the XX list you can pretty much forget about having weekends off, and may end up on the PM or Midnight tour based on the needs of service. Work/life balance is very difficult with this job in the beginning. With the man power shortage they're currently going through you can expect to be at work anywhere from 8-14 hours a day.

As far as promotions you missed the ATD & Tower operator exams which came out in 2018 and 19 if i'm not mistaken, and there likely won't be new exams for those positions for a while, but there should be a new promotional exam for Train Operator maybe next year. For the IT stuff they post that stuff internally and I don't check it frequently to see how often they offer positions like that. There's plenty of promotional opportunities and ways to get off the train for conductors though.

Good luck with your decision. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Fifo14 said:

That will be a big problem. Life is short man, and we all need work/life balance. If I need to do brutal OT in order to make 100K then I must put everything on a scale. Yes, the pension is good, but with all the OT you barely have time to do nothing else than working and devoting your life to NYCT. What about time for you to invest in you and your family, how do you grow your money if all you got is time to work?
How does it work? How long does it take for you to apply for promotions or department transfers? How hard would it be for anyone to go from C/R to IT? Is there an exam to go directly into IT? Would it be less convenient as far as transferring pay scale for C/R to IT? Maybe someone has some input.

You can apply directly to IT positions with the MTA here

I received a call today with an automated message saying to come in 9/29 at 4pm for pre employment instead of the typo in the email which said 12AM, so I hope that helps anyone who’s wondering about the 12AM appointments being accurate or not, if your canvas email said 12AM and you haven’t received a call, I’d definitely call them to ask what your correct appointment time is. 

I know this next question has been answered in here before, so apologies for having it brought up again, but it’ll save me time trying to search back if anyone can answer it. When it comes to deferring, how exactly do I do that? Can I defer and then be placed back on the list? If so, should I still make my appointment Wednesday and defer after or should I just defer before and not waste their time. I’m seriously considering this job, it’s just the timing right now is a little difficult, where in a couple months or so that should change. 

44 minutes ago, Stru385 said:

I received a call today with an automated message saying to come in 9/29 at 4pm for pre employment instead of the typo in the email which said 12AM, so I hope that helps anyone who’s wondering about the 12AM appointments being accurate or not, if your canvas email said 12AM and you haven’t received a call, I’d definitely call them to ask what your correct appointment time is. 

I know this next question has been answered in here before, so apologies for having it brought up again, but it’ll save me time trying to search back if anyone can answer it. When it comes to deferring, how exactly do I do that? Can I defer and then be placed back on the list? If so, should I still make my appointment Wednesday and defer after or should I just defer before and not waste their time. I’m seriously considering this job, it’s just the timing right now is a little difficult, where in a couple months or so that should change. 

You can respond to the email and say that you're deferring. You have a year from deferment to restore your name back to the list.

26 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

You can respond to the email and say that you're deferring. You have a year from deferment to restore your name back to the list.

I had already responded saying that I received the email and that I’ll be at my appointment, so If I defer do you think I should reply again or maybe best to call them up? Thanks 

Hey , I just got an email/automated call offering me the conductor position too; thing is , I’m already in as a track worker.

any advise as to change jobs or to stay as a track worker? I might wind up deferring to just to wait in deciding for now. I’m a bit older than most applicants and I’m interested more in a stable schedule than anything else. The on call aspect early on for conductors doesn’t sound appealing to me 

7 minutes ago, Vlissengen said:

Hey , I just got an email/automated call offering me the conductor position too; thing is , I’m already in as a track worker.

any advise as to change jobs or to stay as a track worker? I might wind up deferring to just to wait in deciding for now. I’m a bit older than most applicants and I’m interested more in a stable schedule than anything else. The on call aspect early on for conductors doesn’t sound appealing to me 

What number were you in the list?

Completely forgot I took this exam and just received the letter for pre-employment. Someone mentioned that top pay is 35/h? I currently make more than that and just weighing options for future growth. Does anyone know max pay for IT positions in MTA?

Data Points: I forgot what position I was on the list, so sorry about that. I may have posted that earlier on this thread.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Got the MTA NYCT Conductor Canvas Letter/Appointment Ticket email today to report to 180 to start the pre-employment process for next Tues. What exactly will I be expected to do on that day? And what if I can't get certain documents before that day? Can I be put on a hold list until I provide that info? 

1 hour ago, peacemak3r said:

Completely forgot I took this exam and just received the letter for pre-employment. Someone mentioned that top pay is 35/h? I currently make more than that and just weighing options for future growth. Does anyone know max pay for IT positions in MTA?

Data Points: I forgot what position I was on the list, so sorry about that. I may have posted that earlier on this thread.

You can check any current open IT positions with the MTA here. These (all, I believe) positions do not require an exam. You apply through the site with a resume and cover letter and any other qualifications they may list.

2 hours ago, Vlissengen said:

Nothing like on call they'll throw you around different shifts different RDOs and since we're new no holidays off either. Weigh out the pros and cons if you have a steady schedule at track worker then I'll say stay there but follow your heart at the end.

12 minutes ago, avasquez1985 said:

How much does the conductors make in a year currently 

I’m currently make $60000 a year in a city agency 

I want make sure I’m making the correct decision 

I just received an email for a pre screening this upcoming Monday for conductor 

Go to the union's link 

http://www.twulocal100.org/contracts-taoamta-bus

And click on pay rates by title 2019 -2023

12 minutes ago, avasquez1985 said:

How much does the conductors make in a year currently 

I’m currently make $60000 a year in a city agency 

I want make sure I’m making the correct decision 

I just received an email for a pre screening this upcoming Monday for conductor 

Congrats 🎉. If you don’t mind sharing what’s your list number? I’m 7,2**. Didn’t realize they were still hiring for this exam. 

1 minute ago, FiyahR31 said:

I Was Called Today To Come In On Friday To Start The Pre-Employment Process & One Of The Requirements Is A License, Will I Be Able To Still Continue With The Process If I Am Able To Get My License Quickly ?

A Driver's License is not required for this conductor position. If you have a Non-Driver's ID that is fine and acceptable. 

Good Morning hope everyone is well!

This question is for the season MTA employees. Is there any website I could find that sells MTA hats that are TA approved like a trooper hat or a beanie. A TSS told me we will have to wear hats Oct 1st but I was only sent the goofy conductor hats not the trooper or hat which is what I asked for. I also feel like I read a bulletin about uniforms that did not mention having to wearing hats. I’m probably wrong though

12 hours ago, Sharif said:

There is no way I can remember all the jobs I had since high school. I am 44 years old. I am going to write down whatever I can remember. Does anyone know if this info is critical. I have provided at least 9 years of accurate history.

You can go to the social security office and request a lifetime abstract which would give you where you worked, and what year. The New York State court officers required candidates to go obtain this. It's a really easy way to know where you were and what year.

16 hours ago, Schecter said:

Nothing like on call they'll throw you around different shifts different RDOs and since we're new no holidays off either. Weigh out the pros and cons if you have a steady schedule at track worker then I'll say stay there but follow your heart at the end.

Good advice , man.

We just finished picking for the next tour earlier this month and our class was the last to get day spots. I have no idea if I’ll wind up with that as a conductor.

1 hour ago, Hoakes said:

Good Morning hope everyone is well!

This question is for the season MTA employees. Is there any website I could find that sells MTA hats that are TA approved like a trooper hat or a beanie. A TSS told me we will have to wear hats Oct 1st but I was only sent the goofy conductor hats not the trooper or hat which is what I asked for. I also feel like I read a bulletin about uniforms that did not mention having to wearing hats. I’m probably wrong though

Sorry meant to quote u in my prior message. You don't have to wear the hat ad tie if u opt for the turtleneck.