Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, JackDorsey said:

Yes,  I sent an email saying I would like to join the next class. I didn’t want to leave my job without a 2 weeks notice. I’ve already missed this training because it started last week. I wish I knew the exact date of the next class. There wouldn’t  have been any point in holding off for this time if I’m going to be forced to leave without proper notice for the next class. I do hope the class comes soon though. 

@JackDorsey Totally understand your position. If I were you I would call HR ask for Ronald St. Jean and get the details of your current position in the hiring process and when the next hiring class is scheduled to start. 

5 hours ago, yungfeenxm23 said:

@JackDorsey Totally understand your position. If I were you I would call HR ask for Ronald St. Jean and get the details of your current position in the hiring process and when the next hiring class is scheduled to start. 

Yes, I have already received details. Looks like one is set to start first week of December. 

I have been on medical hold since early September. Was told to get checked for sleep apnea. Thought it would be a quick and painless process. Cut to now and I am still in the process of testing for it; I do have sleep apnea but need to be tested again for the correct cpap configuration. My insurance has been a complete and total pain in the a** by taking weeks to authorize anything. It looks like I will lose the opportunity to get this job. 😭

9 hours ago, avasquez1985 said:

Is the midterm difficult what it’s cover
What does yard practical exam consist to be focus on is it easy 

The midterm is easy if you study for it tbh, first yard practical is prepping the train for a yard move and cuts and adds, the second practical is a brake pipe rupture and prepping a train for service.

14 hours ago, TraDon said:

I have been on medical hold since early September. Was told to get checked for sleep apnea. Thought it would be a quick and painless process. Cut to now and I am still in the process of testing for it; I do have sleep apnea but need to be tested again for the correct cpap configuration. My insurance has been a complete and total pain in the a** by taking weeks to authorize anything. It looks like I will lose the opportunity to get this job. 😭

I feel your pain. Was suppose to be in the Nov 1st class(list# 34xx) but got put on medical hold bc of  my 18.5 inch neck smh. Everything was good EXCEPT my damn neck size and won't get my results back til the first week of Jan SMH. Praying that all who got put on this hold makes the cutoff cuz it's BS.  

On 11/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, TraDon said:

On 11/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, ronZO215 said:

I feel your pain. Was suppose to be in the Nov 1st class(list# 34xx) but got put on medical hold bc of  my 18.5 inch neck smh. Everything was good EXCEPT my damn neck size and won't get my results back til the first week of Jan SMH. Praying that all who got put on this hold makes the cutoff cuz it's BS.  

Yeah similar for me but I was supposed to be in a September class. Hoping once I get the second result they will at least accept that and I can get them 30 days of cpap sleep results later.

Everyone if you are not currently fully vaccinated start the process now. As of November 14th all employees must be considered “fully vaccinated”. This will mean a full two weeks has lapsed since the last dose. 

Pfizer and Moderna - have both doses administered and a two weeks lapse before you can begin.

Johnson&Johnson - have the one dose administered and two weeks lapse before you can begin.

This not optional - if you are not fully vaccinated you cannot start. Those of you beginning pre-employment should perhaps look into this starting now. 

5 hours ago, JackDorsey said:

Everyone if you are not currently fully vaccinated start the process now. As of November 14th all employees must be considered “fully vaccinated”. This will mean a full two weeks has lapsed since the last dose. 

Pfizer and Moderna - have both doses administered and a two weeks lapse before you can begin.

Johnson&Johnson - have the one dose administered and two weeks lapse before you can begin.

This not optional - if you are not fully vaccinated you cannot start. Those of you beginning pre-employment should perhaps look into this starting now. 

I am vaccinated need to for the line of job I am currently doing 

I had my vac card Oct 26 when I had pre employment but nobody ask for it in 180 

but you think they would ask for it when I get called for medical? 

9 hours ago, Gullys said:

I am vaccinated need to for the line of job I am currently doing 

I had my vac card Oct 26 when I had pre employment but nobody ask for it in 180 

but you think they would ask for it when I get called for medical? 

I’m sure the email invitation for will specifically indicate this is true but yes based on my knowledge I believe you should have proof of vaccination with you at the time of your appointment 

16 minutes ago, Nat1118 said:

Do I have to bring my HS diploma at my pre employment on Monday? And roughly how long does it take to be called for medical and then a job offer? My list number is 48xx

Yes. It is mentioned on the instructions of things you need to bring with you. If you can't find it then you will need an official transcript. If you have a college diploma then you can bring that instead. An official college transcript will suffice as well. If you are missing things on the list they will ask you to go home and bring them back that day if you have time.

It can take anywhere from 3 to 90 days to be called back for medical. There is supposed to be a Conductor class starting on December 6th (per an email I received when inquiring about my medical hold) so you might be called back quickly.

36 minutes ago, TraDon said:

Yes. It is mentioned on the instructions of things you need to bring with you. If you can't find it then you will need an official transcript. If you have a college diploma then you can bring that instead. An official college transcript will suffice as well. If you are missing things on the list they will ask you to go home and bring them back that day if you have time.

It can take anywhere from 3 to 90 days to be called back for medical. There is supposed to be a Conductor class starting on December 6th (per an email I received when inquiring about my medical hold) so you might be called back quickly.

Thank you so much 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally cleared pre-employment and got sworn in and fingerprinted yesterday.

My list number was in the low 2600s. If anyone wants to hear the horror story of what happened, here's a basic summary and timeline.

I got my e-mail for canvassing late June. I went in mid July for initial pre-employment, only to be placed on medical hold due to the fact I was seeing a mental health professional awhile back.

Between mid July and early September, I was placed on medical hold. My primary care physician didn't help with getting me a referral for a mental help professional for the evaluation NYC Transit was requiring. I spent a month trying to find one available in the NYC area who would take my insurance. I eventually had to settle on paying out of pocket for one.

During the process, I got dropped off the list as well. It took two weeks of contacting various NYC government e-mail addresses, and then someone at NYC Transit Employment Operations to be re-instated onto the list, then be contacted again to try to clear my medical hold. I was sent in to be evaluated by a NYC Transit doctor, who recommended I complete a counseling course for at least one month.

One month into the counseling course, I contacted them to get documentation stating I did everything that was asked of me, and I was an active particpant in the course. Of course, with my luck, my case manager wasn't on top of anything, and I had to go to her Manager to get the documentation I needed 2 weeks later. 

I went to 180 Livingston 2 weeks ago, just to be turned away when I was told what I was submitting was a copy of my birth certificate and they wanted an original. The previous times I had my paperwork checked by Employment Operations, none of their staff members said anything about my birth certificate. 

Today,I went in at 8:45am, was given my ticket at the front, and told to go to Station 3. I get to Station 3, sign in, and was told to have a seat and wait to have my name called. I waited until 2:30pm asking a staff member what was going on. Apparently, whoever I saw at Station 3 completely forgot about me. Being too patient was a bad idea. After finishing the paperwork and getting sworn in, I was told to go back to Station 3 to get a ticket to get fingerprinted, and I started filling out my part of the money order where it asks for name and address. The same lady at Station 3 from the morning berated me for filling out the money order. 

I get to fingerprinting eventually, the staff member told me to just fill out the part I had already filled out and got yelled at for. (what the f**k?)

Today was a real test of patience for me. I was probably at that office 4 hours longer than I had to be. But the whole time all I could think was "this is worth it, I need this job badly".

From getting my canavassing letter in late June, to finally being sworn in today and given my training date for December 6th, I can say it was an extremely frustrating process for all the hoops I had to jump through, all the calls I made to their office, and all the ridiculousness I had to deal with since being placed on medical hold.

Only took a bit over 5 months, but I made it. A big thank you for everyone who has posted helpful information on this post.