Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, TraDon said:

You would have to redo the first step (drug test) because it is only valid for 30 days. So since you did it in October and they didn't reach your list number for medical, you'll have to do another drug test. You'll still have to bring in the same forms from the first time and all your original documents (SS card, birth certificate, etc.).

They call more names than needed for the first part of pre-employment because some people will fail the drug test and be disqualified. Others won't be interested in the job any long. Others will have unpaid tickets or not have original documents and just plain miss the appointment. 

Also, people like me who were placed on medical hold will knock higher list numbers back once we clear the hold. 

I believe the drug and medical results stay on your chart for 90 days with the conductor role. Bus operator is 30 days as they are actually driving a vehicle. 

Anyone heard an exact date for the next class? I missed the December 27th one. 

24 minutes ago, JackDorsey said:

I believe the drug and medical results stay on your chart for 90 days with the conductor role. Bus operator is 30 days as they are actually driving a vehicle. 

Anyone heard an exact date for the next class? I missed the December 27th one. 

I've heard them having a new t/o class on valentines day, so maybe around the same time for c/rs also?

On 1/20/2022 at 11:09 PM, Camean said:

I just want to clear up the pay scale. This is the last year of the contract. I started 9/13/21 and my pay is $23.67, not $24.33 as pinned above. $24.32 will be the starting pay in May.

Here is the breakdown

Current pay schedule

Dollar Amt.              Night Dif
Entrance $23.6731    0.9586
2nd year $25.3640    1.0271
3rd year $27.0549     1.0956
4th year $28.7459     1.1640
5th year $30.4368     1.2325
6th year $33.8187     1.3695

Pay as of May 16th 2022 this year

Entrance $24.32
2nd year $26.06
3rd year $27.79
4th year $29.53
5th year $31.27
6th year $34.74

How many hours per pay check? Is it bi-weekly pay? If so do you get paid for 70, 75, or 80 hours per check?

14 hours ago, NextStop said:

How many hours per pay check? Is it bi-weekly pay? If so do you get paid for 70, 75, or 80 hours per check?

Just to clarify you get paid for lunch?

I work for the city but get lunch taken out so bi weekly I get 70 hours of pay even though I am there for 80.

Also would likesome insight on how the different divisions work and how do you get assigned to them. I live at the end of the N, W in Queens and would like to know what is the best division/lines  in terms of convenience to get to and from work for someone that that lives at the end of the N, W line in Queens.

3 minutes ago, NextStop said:

Just to clarify you get paid for lunch?

I work for the city but get lunch taken out so bi weekly I get 70 hours of pay even though I am there for 80.

Also would likesome insight on how the different divisions work and how do you get assigned to them. I live at the end of the N, W in Queens and would like to know what is the best division/lines  in terms of convenience to get to and from work for someone that that lives at the end of the N, W line in Queens.

Probably the B division would be your best bet in the A division they can send you to the bronx or Flatbush, new lots, or Utica or even main street or Hudson yards if on the 7. And the MTA does pay you for lunch which and if you don't get a lunch they'll pay you 30 minutes. Like if something happens on the road and you weren't able to get lunch.

51 minutes ago, Milano said:

How serious are they about this "cell phones prohibited" on the OPA? I'm coming from upstate... That's a hell of a distance to leave my phone behind🤷‍♂️

You can bring your phone, you just have to turn it off completely (not on vibrate) and do not turn it on until you leave the building.

Been trying to find some info on the different divisions and systems. I know there is Division A (numbers) and B (Letters) but I'm not sure how the IND IRT and BMT fit into them. 

Can someone explain how the divisions work and how IND, BMT and IRT fits in these divisions from the perspective as a road extra and a senior conductor.

How do you get assigned to a division? To a line?

If you get assigned to a division do you only do the lines within one of the three systems (IND, BMT, IRT)?

Since all numbered trains are under IRT does Division A only get assigned to the IRT? How does this work for Division B with IND and BMT?

When you get your schedule does it include the lines your assigned to or is it a day to day kind of thing?

Sorry for all the questions I am really considering a career change and would like to make an informed decision. If I should be asking this in another forum please let me know.

33 minutes ago, NextStop said:

Been trying to find some info on the different divisions and systems. I know there is Division A (numbers) and B (Letters) but I'm not sure how the IND IRT and BMT fit into them. 

Can someone explain how the divisions work and how IND, BMT and IRT fits in these divisions from the perspective as a road extra and a senior conductor.

How do you get assigned to a division? To a line?

If you get assigned to a division do you only do the lines within one of the three systems (IND, BMT, IRT)?

Since all numbered trains are under IRT does Division A only get assigned to the IRT? How does this work for Division B with IND and BMT?

When you get your schedule does it include the lines your assigned to or is it a day to day kind of thing?

Sorry for all the questions I am really considering a career change and would like to make an informed decision. If I should be asking this in another forum please let me know.

IRT, BMT, and IND are simply the companies and systems the subway originated from. It is an acknowledgment of their historical origins.

You are assigned to a division during your first week of schoolcar. It is best to choose the one that suits your commuting needs. A division mainly reports to the Bronx terminals while B division is pretty much everywhere else. However, there is always the possibility that Transit chooses the division for you depending on where you're needed.

As an XX conductor, you can be assigned on a weekly basis to any tour (MID, AM, PM) and RDOs, and to a job that is available on any line and location in your respective division (except OPTO where it only needs a train operator). It is not a 9-5 job and you will find the times you report to vary. Example: If you're in the AM tour, you may find yourself reporting to a job that can start at 4AM on your first day of the week and your fifth day report to a job that starts at 1130AM.

You are given 3 days advanced notice of what your job is either by the assignment sheets available on the employee website or by phone.

As you move up in seniority, you will be able to choose jobs that you can work for the entirety of the pick which happens twice per year.

Edited by Jericho

9 hours ago, Jericho said:

IRT, BMT, and IND are simply the companies and systems the subway originated from. It is an acknowledgment of their historical origins.

You are assigned to a division during your first week of schoolcar. It is best to choose the one that suits your commuting needs. A division mainly reports to the Bronx terminals while B division is pretty much everywhere else. However, there is always the possibility that Transit chooses the division for you depending on where you're needed.

As an XX conductor, you can be assigned on a weekly basis to any tour (MID, AM, PM) and RDOs, and to a job that is available on any line and location in your respective division (except OPTO where it only needs a train operator). It is not a 9-5 job and you will find the times you report to vary. Example: If you're in the AM tour, you may find yourself reporting to a job that can start at 4AM on your first day of the week and your fifth day report to a job that starts at 1130AM.

You are given 3 days advanced notice of what your job is either by the assignment sheets available on the employee website or by phone.

As you move up in seniority, you will be able to choose jobs that you can work for the entirety of the pick which happens twice per year.

Thanks for all the info.

So basically if you're in B Division you can be sent to any of the lettered lines until you have seniority enough to pick. If you're in Division B will you ever be sent to do a tour on Division A?

I know there is a shortage of conductors and t/o but is overtime forced/expected? Or can one do their 80 hours and bounce barring anything like waiting for relief etc.

Not opposed to overtime, nights/overnights or weekends just want to understand the culture.

9 minutes ago, NextStop said:

Thanks for all the info.

So basically if you're in B Division you can be sent to any of the lettered lines until you have seniority enough to pick. If you're in Division B will you ever be sent to do a tour on Division A?

I know there is a shortage of conductors and t/o but is overtime forced/expected? Or can one do their 80 hours and bounce barring anything like waiting for relief etc.

Not opposed to overtime, nights/overnights or weekends just want to understand the culture.

1. Yes.

2. No; they cannot do that, unless you are actually in that division. You will only be assigned jobs in your current division.

3. See answer to your first question.

4. Very rarely will you get to do a straight 80 hours sans any overtime. Involuntary OT is very much part of this job.

Hey everyone,

I was scheduled to take the OPA on Jan 18th but received a text and email on the 17th informing me that my date would have to be rescheduled. Did this happen to anyone else? The text told me an email would be sent with info to contact DCAS, which I did, to have my number reestablished to the list. They got back to me saying I will receive an electronic notice once I have been restored to the list.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, NextStop said:

Thanks for all the info.

Yes, you can be sent to Bedford Park one day on the D and the next you can be sent to Far Rockaway on the A. You will stay in your respective division unless you request a transfer before a pick starts.

Forced overtime usually only occurs if your train is late to return on your last interval. If the job you are given has "work as assigned" at the end, then the dispatcher can ask you to do something at the last minute, but generally that's frowned upon as the job is expected to end at its clearing time and can be considered a violation of pick rights if done repeatedly. Unfortunately, this is why dispatchers usually get away with doing it to XX crews rather than someone who has it as a picked job who can document it on a regular basis. Other than that, overtime nowadays is usually voluntary and either the dispatcher will ask you to do an extra trip/platform or you can ask if there's anything available whether through the dispatcher or the crew office.

Edit: I should add that as a new conductor, chances are you will not have the weekend off for a long time unless you bid and win a  job on the vacancy bid that has it.

Edited by Jericho

22 hours ago, Jericho said:

Yes, you can be sent to Bedford Park one day on the D and the next you can be sent to Far Rockaway on the A. You will stay in your respective division unless you request a transfer before a pick starts.

Forced overtime usually only occurs if your train is late to return on your last interval. If the job you are given has "work as assigned" at the end, then the dispatcher can ask you to do something at the last minute, but generally that's frowned upon as the job is expected to end at its clearing time and can be considered a violation of pick rights if done repeatedly. Unfortunately, this is why dispatchers usually get away with doing it to XX crews rather than someone who has it as a picked job who can document it on a regular basis. Other than that, overtime nowadays is usually voluntary and either the dispatcher will ask you to do an extra trip/platform or you can ask if there's anything available whether through the dispatcher or the crew office.

Edit: I should add that as a new conductor, chances are you will not have the weekend off for a long time unless you bid and win a  job on the vacancy bid that has it.

Thanks. Any idea of an approximate average hours a new conductor puts in only if forced to do overtime?

Does 100 hours a pay period sound about right? How long can/does overtime run for after a shift?

39 minutes ago, NextStop said:

Thanks. Any idea of an approximate average hours a new conductor puts in only if forced to do overtime?

Does 100 hours a pay period sound about right? How long can/does overtime run for after a shift?

You can easily get 100 hours or more per pay period. The MTA has you working a minimum of 40 hours per week but those hours can easily climb past 40 if the job is a penalty job, late clears or if you're xx then being on board, or even if you work your day off(wouldn't advise until after probation).

6 hours ago, Jphillip said:

I have a Florida drivers license and I have the drug test on the Feb 7 what can I do 

What's your list number if you mind me asking? I've been waiting for medical... I've done my pre employment with urine... then they said wait for a email for my medical.