Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Subwayfan, SubwayGuy, and Niku did have a point though. Looking on the outside from a non-biased realistic standpoint it does seem a bit misleading to suggest that they'd hire up to/over 2000 people within the first two years.

No no, you all misunderstood us. I guess we weren't talking about HIRING 2,000. I know they don't hire that many in one year. I think we meant how many get initially CALLED UP, as opposed as to how many actually got hired. So if they only hired maybe 450 in one year, didn't that mean they sent out twice that many letters? That's what I was trying to ascertain.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subwayfan, SubwayGuy, and Niku did have a point though. Looking on the outside from a non-biased realistic standpoint it does seem a bit misleading to suggest that they'd hire up to/over 2000 people within the first two years. It did seem like he was trying to soften the blow to make himself feel better for his score, and that's totally understandable. However, like it was mentioned earlier in this thread a score less than a 94/5 isn't anything to be excited about on an exam as competitive as this one, he just has to be realistic that's all. Like subwayfan said it's the list number that we should be worried about and then from there.

Anyways, at this point it's like we're beating a dead horse.

Hopefully if I get called in with 1 wrong and a bunch of conductors (including you :D ) move up to Train Operator within these next few years I can have some seniority and be able to pick a decent job preferably on the (A) so I can work on those new trains. I browsed this site and viewed the employee threads and it seems like being extra extra is brutal lol.

Oh yeah, any word on the status on the promotion to conductor and train operator exams? I know the current exams have to expire first, but have employees received their scores and list numbers yet?

There will be a good number of C/R's moving up to T/O, ATD and Towers. People are moving to other titles as we speak. I myself am waiting for promotionals to begin and THEY WILL begin. Transit is slowly adding service all over the place, they will need us. With your score you shouldn't have much to worry about, whatever you're doing now is only temporary, when they call you downtown, time is gonna fly and you gonna be on that PA and working them doors all day everyday serving NYC. Don't forget to wave at all the kids (if it's safe to do so). As far as being XX, it's only brutal if they for example switch you from PM's to AM's or vice versa (usually after your days off) and most people lock in the tour that they want. It may be tough for some people to suddenly have to adjust. Aside from that nothing about this job is brutal enough to faze anyone that goes through the waiting game and wants stable honest employment. So don't believe the hype.

Edited by Xentor

There will be a good number of C/R's moving up to T/O, ATD and Towers. People are moving to other titles as we speak. I myself am waiting for promotionals to begin and THEY WILL begin. Transit is slowly adding service all over the place, they will need us. With your score you shouldn't have much to worry about, whatever you're doing now is only temporary, when they call you downtown, time is gonna fly and you gonna be on that PA and working them doors all day everyday serving NYC. Don't forget to wave at all the kids (if it's safe to do so). As far as being XX, it's only brutal if they for example switch you from PM's to AM's or vice versa (usually after your days off) and most people lock in the tour that they want. It may be tough for some people to suddenly have to adjust. Aside from that nothing about this job is brutal enough to faze anyone that goes through the waiting game and wants stable honest employment. So don't believe the hype.

My main concern is the traveling and getting to work on time potentially. As of right now I live within 10-20 mins from any of the three A division terminals in BK, but traveling to the BX if I were to get hired and assigned to the A div would be crazy. Oh well, cross that bridge when I get there, right? Haha. 

I'm anxious to get my list #. I have a little ways to go in earning my Associates degree so that'll put my mind off of it, and by the time I'm finished with school hopefully they'll be midway through the promotion to conductor exam. I think things are going to get crazy with hiring in these next few years, like you said alot of people are moving up or retiring and like you said they're adding service. The timing of 6601 seems much better than 8094, looks like we'll just have to wait and see how things play out. 

It's also funny that you brought up waving haha, one time I was on the platform and my train was pulling in and this lady had her toddler was waving at the this female Operator (literally one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, let alone working for the MTA LoL.) 

Thanks for your insight and reassurance, I appreciate it and look forward to being a coworker of yours in the near future.

My main concern is the traveling and getting to work on time potentially. As of right now I live within 10-20 mins from any of the three A division terminals in BK, but traveling to the BX if I were to get hired and assigned to the A div would be crazy. Oh well, cross that bridge when I get there, right? Haha. 

I'm anxious to get my list #. I have a little ways to go in earning my Associates degree so that'll put my mind off of it, and by the time I'm finished with school hopefully they'll be midway through the promotion to conductor exam. I think things are going to get crazy with hiring in these next few years, like you said alot of people are moving up or retiring and like you said they're adding service. The timing of 6601 seems much better than 8094, looks like we'll just have to wait and see how things play out. 

It's also funny that you brought up waving haha, one time I was on the platform and my train was pulling in and this lady had her toddler was waving at the this female Operator (literally one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, let alone working for the MTA LoL.) 

Thanks for your insight and reassurance, I appreciate it and look forward to being a coworker of yours in the near future.

If you live anywhere in the city you can walk to a subway station that connects to a bunch of different lines, you will be fine.

If you are dependent on buses, live outside of NYC and are dependent on a car, or live in SI and are dependent on the ferry, a car, or buses, then it will be an uphill battle for you. One that can be completed, but it will be much harder than if you can just walk to a subway station.

Hello, I'm not bragging, but I got one wrong on the exam... I figure I will get a call eventually. I want this to be my career, but I'm aware it can take some time to get called... My current job is offering me a promotion in Virginia. I want to take it for the money, but I'm worried moving from Nassau County to Virginia will disqualify me from being a conductor in NYC. I'd be willing relocate back to the area if I get a call, but does anyone know any info/know who I should contact to get an answer on liviing in Virginia prior to starting the conductor job? Thank you!

Hello, I'm not bragging, but I got one wrong on the exam... I figure I will get a call eventually. I want this to be my career, but I'm aware it can take some time to get called... My current job is offering me a promotion in Virginia. I want to take it for the money, but I'm worried moving from Nassau County to Virginia will disqualify me from being a conductor in NYC. I'd be willing relocate back to the area if I get a call, but does anyone know any info/know who I should contact to get an answer on liviing in Virginia prior to starting the conductor job? Thank you!

That's a decision you'd have to make. As far as moving, as long as you update your mailing address with the MTA you should be fine, since being a NY state resident is not a requirement.

How much time is your employer giving you to decide? Keep in mind that the list for the last conductor exam expires in Feb. of 2017, just to give you an idea.

Tough decision but if you're willing to drop everything once you're called I'd personally take advantage of that promo for the time being.

Anyway, I look to be in pretty good shape if the turnover is that swift. Even if my list number is in the 2,000-3,000 range, I can expect to get called up in about two years, and the list is good for four. Looks like 6 wrong ain't so bad after all :)

Just by viewing the responses from everyone. I'm not in bad shape either when it comes to the proposed key answers.

Only got 5 wrong. 75/80 correct. Hopefully in the 90-92% percentile and a decent list # when the list comes out.

I'm guessing the max to have wrong is 5-6. I took the test on 4/10/16 (PM).

Just by viewing the responses from everyone. I'm not in bad shape either when it comes to the proposed key answers.

Only got 5 wrong. 75/80 correct. Hopefully in the 90-92% percentile and a decent list # when the list comes out.

I'm guessing the max to have wrong is 5-6. I took the test on 4/10/16 (PM).

I so hope you're right! I just learned another thing: Look at post #4551:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/13097-conductor-exam-8094/page-456?hl=8094?

According to this poster, it seems that 6601 actually has TWO tests. The first test that everyone took and then another test when they call you in. This is a new requirement that was added to the 6601 exam. Speech and reading comprehension. 

If I figure it correctly, this will weed out the mumblers and the easily confused. Given that, along with other factors related to failing the drug tests, failing medical, listing incorrect return addresses or no longer wanting the job, this could possibly speed up the 6601 list. I don't know how fast, of course. I would like to know how long the 6601 list is kept open, as well as how many applicants are sent letters each year, and how many from those go to schoolcar. Based on what has been posted here, it seems that it could be anywhere from 900-1500 who are sent letters from which maybe 480 are hired (#658 http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/47706-conductor-exam-6601-open-competitive/page-66) or even more. I wish I knew more about this process. Hopefully getting 5-6 wrong won't be too long a wait, but in the end, as long as you get called, that's all that matters, right?.

Edited by ren

Ren, no offense but I think you're over analyzing everything. And this is coming from a person who has the same score as you.

Let's just wait until the official list is established and notices are sent out and take it from there. From now until then it's all speculation that you're trying to make sense of, stressing yourself out in the process.

34,000 people took the exam. About 2 years for list to come out.

2 years? I was told at the protest session that the list came out in February when the old list finished. I thought they started hiring from 6601 as soon as next year?

Edited by ren

Ren, no offense but I think you're over analyzing everything. And this is coming from a person who has the same score as you.

Let's just wait until the official list is established and notices are sent out and take it from there. From now until then it's all speculation that you're trying to make sense of, stressing yourself out in the process.

I've told him this numerous times, guy never listens. let him live in this false reality in his head.. 

I've told him this numerous times, guy never listens. let him live in this false reality in his head..

Contrary to what you seem to believe, I don't make assumptions or create realities. I post questions here to learn answers from informed and experienced individuals. If I get conflicting answers or information, I try to understand that information by questioning further. I DO NOT post here for your entertainment, much less approval. Unless you have pertinent information to offer about this process, I'm really not interested in your personal attacks.

2 years? I was told at the protest session that the list came out in February when the old list finished. I thought they started hiring from 6601 as soon as next year?

when the old list finish they will NOT call from 6601. They will call from the promotional list first. Now as for them calling you 2yrs after the list is establish... Um sorry to say that's not going to happen. Maybe 4yrs right b4 the list ends or they might not even get to your list number. The only reason they are going so high in the current list, is because it was extended twice. I'm really not trying to be negative but more so realistic. We will see tho. I hope you are right because that will mean I will get call within the 1st year (wishful thinking). Lmao. And I got 3 wrong most likely it will probably take them 2 or even 3yrs to call me. We got to remember a lot more ppl took this exam then the last ones.

when the old list finish they will NOT call from 6601. They will call from the promotional list first. Now as for them calling you 2yrs after the list is establish... Um sorry to say that's not going to happen. Maybe 4yrs right b4 the list ends or they might not even get to your list number. The only reason they are going so high in the current list, is because it was extended twice. I'm really not trying to be negative but more so realistic. We will see tho. I hope you are right because that will mean I will get call within the 1st year (wishful thinking). Lmao. And I got 3 wrong most likely it will probably take them 2 or even 3yrs to call me. We got to remember a lot more ppl took this exam then the last ones.

I realize I won't be called in 2 years. What I wanted to know was when people on 6601 start getting called. Also, how long is a list kept open? I was told 4 years, but is that what usually happens? If I get in on this list, whenever that may be, I will be happy.

I realize I won't be called in 2 years. What I wanted to know was when people on 6601 start getting called. Also, how long is a list kept open? I was told 4 years, but is that what usually happens? If I get in on this list, whenever that may be, I will be happy.

yes its for 4yrs but it could be extended a few times as well

Everyone who passed the test will be put on the list and receive a list number, I think the chief (newspaper) will only publish the top 2000 scorers. Like Egyptian eyes said they will call from and exhaust the promotional list before they get to us O/C people. How long will that take? Nobody knows, it took them about 3 years to get to the last one. (view the 8094 thread) Nobody knows how long the list will be open they're supposed to be open for four years, but it can get extended and nobody can see into the future. (obviously) 

With 6 wrong you should have an idea of what to expect anyway. Just take any other exams you qualify for in the meantime and keep it moving, The false narratives and speculation won't change the reality. I don't mean that in a condescending way nor am I trying to be rude I'm just saying you have to be realistic with your score.

I suggest reading the 8094 thread along with the "Those who passed Conductor Exam 8094  thread," there's alot of good info in their and alot of your questions will be answered. They're both stickied. 

No,no there is one more test, oral speaking, this can get people eliminated.

Sighs, i hope i won't be selected.

47,000 can dropped to 37,000 or less after they failed a process.

Remeber the background are very serious.

If you have bad status anywhere, that can be problem, they check on everything because it city and government job.

Many people will decline the offer.

They start hiring 8 months to 4 years,

My mom friend was hired after 5 years, even my dad friend did too

Promotional and veteran are on top of the list.

Anybody heard they just bought 1,025 train 750 will be with a new design they will released it in 2018, i think.

That will be cool.

Anybody know when they will send the result and list number?

Backgroujd Check*

Everyone who passed the test will be put on the list and receive a list number, I think the chief (newspaper) will only publish the top 2000 scorers. Like Egyptian eyes said they will call from and exhaust the promotional list before they get to us O/C people. How long will that take? Nobody knows, it took them about 3 years to get to the last one. (view the 8094 thread) Nobody knows how long the list will be open they're supposed to be open for four years, but it can get extended and nobody can see into the future. (obviously) 

With 6 wrong you should have an idea of what to expect anyway. Just take any other exams you qualify for in the meantime and keep it moving, The false narratives and speculation won't change the reality. I don't mean that in a condescending way nor am I trying to be rude I'm just saying you have to be realistic with your score.

I suggest reading the 8094 thread along with the "Those who passed Conductor Exam 8094  thread," there's alot of good info in their and alot of your questions will be answered. They're both stickied. 

I can't open the highlighted text

Here's a few questions maybe someone can answer?

In February 2004 the MTA held Conductor Exam 8014. How long was that list and how many people were called? And what was the lowest score of those called?

Ditto for 8094, which was held in 2008 and is apparently almost over. I know that there's a guy called Amm0 who posts here, and he got 92.5 on 8095 (that was my score on 6601!), and he was just called this May or something, his list was 53??. I think they are into the 6000s on 8094, correct me if I am wrong.

Another question: if there hadn't been any hiring freezes on 8094, and if that list hadn't been extended, would they have gotten that far down the list? In other words, would they have gotten down to 6000 in 4 years even without a hiring freeze?

I know it's different for each list, but I am curious about what the general range is for those called from these lists, both in list number and test scores. Knowing that would give me a realistic perspective on what to expect. Even so, I can gather that my chances appear borderline, but more information will give me a clearer picture of how likely it is to get called with 6 wrong.

And just in case anyone is confused, I am not drawing assumptions here or creating "realities". I only would like to know what the track record is on tests like these, at least what the averages are.

Edited by ren

I wish everybody luck who took this conductor exam. I'm currently a train operator. I scored a 97.3 on the last conductor exam (8094) which was given in December of 2008. I didn't receive the letter in the mail from the mta to start the hiring process until August 2013. By then I was already a bus operator for transit so I turned the position down. So my best advice to everybody is to try not to think about this job until the mta starts hiring people from this list. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy. But conductor is a very good job and by the time you guys start the top pay for conductor will probably be around 31 or 32 dollars an hour because our current contract expires in January. I hope to see all of you down the road in the future.