Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

I wish everybody luck who took this conductor exam. I'm currently a train operator. I scored a 97.3 on the last conductor exam (8094) which was given in December of 2008. I didn't receive the letter in the mail from the mta to start the hiring process until August 2013. By then I was already a bus operator for transit so I turned the position down. So my best advice to everybody is to try not to think about this job until the mta starts hiring people from this list. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy. But conductor is a very good job and by the time you guys start the top pay for conductor will probably be around 31 or 32 dollars an hour because our current contract expires in January. I hope to see all of you down the road in the future.

A little over 4 years seems insane lol I hope it doesn't take that long this go around even with the promotionals going first. This is probably a dumb question, but if the top pay will increase will the starting rate increase also? I'm not complaining about the 20$/ an hour I know alot of people dream about that in this economy.

I hope to see you down the road someday too, my ultimate goal is to use this as a stepping stone to become a Train Operator.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The starting pay will go up also along with the top pay most likely when the new contract is ratified. I recommend that you file to take the next open competitive train operator exam also.

I won't meet the requirements for that title by the time the application process starts I'm no where near meeting it lol, but I only got 1 wrong on 6601 so I think I should be fine in the long run.

I wish everybody luck who took this conductor exam. I'm currently a train operator. I scored a 97.3 on the last conductor exam (8094) which was given in December of 2008. I didn't receive the letter in the mail from the mta to start the hiring process until August 2013. By then I was already a bus operator for transit so I turned the position down. So my best advice to everybody is to try not to think about this job until the mta starts hiring people from this list. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy. But conductor is a very good job and by the time you guys start the top pay for conductor will probably be around 31 or 32 dollars an hour because our current contract expires in January. I hope to see all of you down the road in the future.

So wait, you passed down on the conductor, I take it you took the promotional T/O? When did you cross over from BO to TO? I have a friend as well that took the 8094, he got called up in Dec 2012, good to say he got promoted to T/O at some point towards the end of 2014.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

If I get hired for this job, what would suck is being indoors/underground all the time, dealing with steel dust etc. My preference would be a conductor for LIRR / MNRR but as we know, those jobs are almost impossible to get!! #Dreams

It's crazy you mention that, LIRR had filings in Jan of this year for conductor. You must have missed it. The requirements are a bit different than MTA, but nothing crazy.

So wait, you passed down on the conductor, I take it you took the promotional T/O? When did you cross over from BO to TO? I have a friend as well that took the 8094, he got called up in Dec 2012, good to say he got promoted to T/O at some point towards the end of 2014.

It's crazy you mention that, LIRR had filings in Jan of this year for conductor. You must have missed it. The requirements are a bit different than MTA, but nothing crazy.

I applied for Conductor Trainee for MNRR; I think that's the one you were talking about? It was a pretty simple application and the requirements were pretty reasonable; I never got called.

Finally! I've been hoping to hear from someone on the inside. I wanted to ask you about the reality of being a Conductor or just working for Transit/MTA in general. What's the life like? Is there a good work/life balance? Also, have you ever seen any of your coworkers continuing college?

If I get hired for this job, what would suck is being indoors/underground all the time, dealing with steel dust etc. My preference would be a conductor for LIRR / MNRR but as we know, those jobs are almost impossible to get!! #Dreams

You and me are the total opposite, I actually find the railroads to be boring lol. My dream is to operate those old trains in the IRT before they retire well they're not really old, but they're older than me.

What did you score if you don't mind me asking? 

You and me are the total opposite, I actually find the railroads to be boring lol. My dream is to operate those old trains in the IRT before they retire well they're not really old, but they're older than me.

What did you score if you don't mind me asking?

Yea that would be my goal too T/O, honestly though, idk how I'd feel about someone who tried to attempt being a "sick" passenger on my train. That would mess me up a little.

I got a perfect score according to the tentative results. 

Edited by The Saniter

I applied for Conductor Trainee for MNRR; I think that's the one you were talking about? It was a pretty simple application and the requirements were pretty reasonable; I never got called.

Finally! I've been hoping to hear from someone on the inside. I wanted to ask you about the reality of being a Conductor or just working for Transit/MTA in general. What's the life like? Is there a good work/life balance? Also, have you ever seen any of your coworkers continuing college?

The reality of life as a new conductor or train operator is each day you might have to report to work at a different borough and you will have to do lots of studying in order to pass all of the exams and quizzes that are given during school car. As far as going to school and working for transit is concerned; it will be hard to do in the beginning of your career because when you first start on the road by yourself you will not be able to pick your own schedule. You will have to call the crew office everyday for your schedule. Your days off might change each week and your tour (am pm midnights) can change each week. When I was a bus operator I did know one person who was going to school but since I've been a train operator I have yet to meet a train operator or conductor who is going to school. Having a social life in the beginning of your career will be challenging also.

To answer your questions noekozz; I started as a bus operator on July 1 2013. I was offered the bus operator position because at that time the mta had a hiring freeze for conductors but they were hiring bus operators so I decided to take the bus operator position to get my foot in the door. I also took the last open competitive train operator exam in 2009 and got a 95 on that. When I originally got the letter in the mail from the mta to start the hiring process for train operator in July of 2013 I had just started training for bus operator so therefore I turned train operator down at first. I had my name reinstated on the train operator exam list in November of last year and I officially got promoted to train operator on April 11th of this year.

To answer your questions noekozz; I started as a bus operator on July 1 2013. I was offered the bus operator position because at that time the mta had a hiring freeze for conductors but they were hiring bus operators so I decided to take the bus operator position to get my foot in the door. I also took the last open competitive train operator exam in 2009 and got a 95 on that. When I originally got the letter in the mail from the mta to start the hiring process for train operator in July of 2013 I had just started training for bus operator so therefore I turned train operator down at first. I had my name reinstated on the train operator exam list in November of last year and I officially got promoted to train operator on April 11th of this year.

Congrats man, what a journey. It's refreshing to see how quick things started moving for you in such a short period of time. Nothing like the corporate office world where your only hopes of moving up the ladder is if someone dies or gets fired. (I don't wish death on anyone but you know what I mean). Thank you for your insight.

I plan on filing for the T/O exam as well.

My Story

I took and passed the conductor exam for Metro North Railroad back in 2012 and was hired in 2014.  Hype.  I was in an 11 month program and the training there was detailed and vigorous with exams every 3 days or so. I received 100's throughout the entire program.  During my final month I failed a 10 question refresher quiz prior to my final (8 out of 10 right) After passing my final my record was reviewed and I was asked to leave the program due to that one quiz. They are very strict and I see why.  However if you could get past the politics then the rewards  from there are limitless.  

Since then I've taken the LIRR assistant conductor exam in December 2015 and passed.  There, they interview you right after if you pass your exam.   I was told I had the perfect experience (with my time at MNR) not to worry and that I would be called back after the rounds of exams were done in about January 2016.  The following day I received an email that I was not selected and that they were moving on with more "qualified" candidates.  (You know qualified candidates who never worked on the railroad before like I did)  (wonder if my appeal with MNR had anything to do with that)

So fast forward to the present.  I took the 6601 in April and got 2 wrong so hopefully I can have better luck this time.  The difference that Ive noticed between all three exams:  

LIRR is by far the hardest out of all three.  It tests every area of knowledge.  Second is a toss up between Subway and MNR.  It depends on the type of test and individual feels more comfortable taking.  MNR was a timed 3 hour long exam  so if I were to chose it would be MNR based on question amounts, then last and least Subway.  

The hiring processes between LIRR, MNR & NYCT are different because MNR & LIRR you are called based on if you are chosen (it seems randomly) by HR to continue.  It doesn't matter how well you score on the exams.  There are no lists it is just pass or fail.  And even if you do get lucky to get hired by them as a Trainee you are still not considered an employee and you can get terminated without valid reason so it's pretty much out of your hands until you are in the union.  With Transit it seems everyone has a fair shot as long as you continue to do whatever is required.

Anyway Good luck to everyone.

Yea that would be my goal too T/O, honestly though, idk how I'd feel about someone who tried to attempt being a "sick" passenger on my train. That would mess me up a little.

I got a perfect score according to the tentative results. 

You lucky sob! Haha congrats on your score man you should be hired within the first year they start hiring, I got one wrong so it'll take a while longer. 

About the second part, it's crazy you brought that up. Just the other day my brother tried to sway me to do Corrections because of the money they make after 5 years and how young I am, but I told him look at all the crap they have to deal with (literally at times) and he brought up our uncle who's a retired Train Operator and the mental impact people jumping in front of his train had on him and such. I'll leave it at there.

I'll just have to hope that I'll never have to experience something like that, but money can't buy happiness for me. I know for a fact that I'd be infinite times happier at the controls of a train than to be locked in a jail with people that hate you and want to do you harm.

Congrats on your score though!

That probably explains the long waiting period, I hope we won't have to wait that long especially with all the service improvements and new trains they're buying. I understand patience is a virtue though, thanks for enlightening us.

I'm wondering what position I'm in with 4 wrong.I'm not obsessed with the exam at all.I am curious though.

The answer to that question depends on how many questions which were protested are tossed out. I am still wondering how that works. What happened in 8094? Can anyone explain how the protest session works? What determines a revision of the questions and answers? There were 80 questions in 6601. So for example, in my case, I got

74/80

If I protest three wrong answers, and they are tossed, does it become 74/77 or 77/80? (In the first scenario, I get 96.1039, in the second 96.25. That is a BIG difference).

Also, is there individual discretion involved in this? Meaning, if one applicant protests and his answer is granted or the question is struck, is that extended to all test takers or just that protestor? I would like to know how these protests are evaluated.

Edited by ren

I actually applied to anything / everything that I saw with MNRR / LIRR. I never heard back from them.

You lucky sob! Haha congrats on your score man you should be hired within the first year they start hiring, I got one wrong so it'll take a while longer. 

About the second part, it's crazy you brought that up. Just the other day my brother tried to sway me to do Corrections because of the money they make after 5 years and how young I am, but I told him look at all the crap they have to deal with (literally at times) and he brought up our uncle who's a retired Train Operator and the mental impact people jumping in front of his train had on him and such. I'll leave it at there.

I'll just have to hope that I'll never have to experience something like that, but money can't buy happiness for me. I know for a fact that I'd be infinite times happier at the controls of a train than to be locked in a jail with people that hate you and want to do you harm.

Congrats on your score though!

Thanks!!! I'm currently training as a B/O for NJT with a goal of switching crafts to a C/R for NJT. If that's successful then I won't bother with NYCT C/R. I'm going to look into the possibility of freezing my name (if I don't get hit with that 3-1 mess) then reinstating if it's taking too long to get into the C/R for NJT. So you might end up in there before me lol

Yea I wouldnt want to deal with corrections either. They can keep their $$$$ And that's crazy about your uncle. Do you see it affecting him in anyway today?

Edited by The Saniter

I actually applied to anything / everything that I saw with MNRR / LIRR. I never heard back from them.

Thanks!!! I'm currently training as a B/O for NJT with a goal of switching crafts to a C/R for NJT. If that's successful then I won't bother with NYCT C/R. I'm going to look into the possibility of freezing my name (if I don't get hit with that 3-1 mess) then reinstating if it's taking too long to get into the C/R for NJT. So you might end up in there before me lol

Yea I wouldnt want to deal with corrections either. They can keep their $$$$ And that's crazy about your uncle. Do you see it affecting him in anyway today?

He started using alcohol to cope with the pain of witnessing stuff like that and as a result has become addicted unfortunately other than that though he's fine no hard drugs or anything, just a lunatic that thinks he can dance lol. He tells me alot of stories about the job though, has a ton of books and gave me one of his old MTA vests.

NJT seems cool, I was actually thinking about applying for something with Amtrak after I graduate college and godwilling if I get the call from the MTA down the line I would resign from that and join them. 

Heh, if you pass up the C/R position for NYCT that means I move up one post on the list, sweet lol.  :P

ren your assumptions never fail to surprise me . smh,

ren i would like to tell you this bro don't become another lisa cause you will get banned you just took the test so relax i took my exam in almost 8 years ago and just now started my process final medical is tomorrow and second don't ever just call somebody first without asking bro not a good look at all.

ren i would like to tell you this bro don't become another lisa cause you will get banned you just took the test so relax i took my exam in almost 8 years ago and just now started my process final medical is tomorrow and second don't ever just call somebody first without asking bro not a good look at all.

Ok, I pm'd you, sorry about that thing.