Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/10/2022 at 3:51 AM, Sammohung said:

For anyone going to Schoolcar now, or about to start Schoolcar, I can say I personally do NOT recommend the Kaka backpack. 

With all the stuff you're given during Schoolcar, between the Rule Book (which you have to keep on you at all times during your probation), training manuals, the various paperwork, your radio, the escape mask, flashlight, it can wind up weighing a lot. Especially if you have your own stuff such as a notebook for taking notes, food/drink, and during cooler/colder times of the year, you may want to consider carrying a sweater or some extra clothing for insulation. 

Generally, travel style backpacks or bags are the best solution as they allow you to stow away the shoulder straps and offer a shoulder strap so you can carry it like a duffel bag or messenger bag. But the shoulder straps on the Kaka bags, and the back padding/support are mediocre at best. After the third week of Schoolcar, I ordered another bag because my shoulders and back were hurting every night from carrying that Kaka bag for 2 to 4 hours on average. I'm just speaking from my experience, and I'm a bit on the skinnier side. Everyone has a different experience and keep in mind, you don't need to use that Kaka bag once you're done with Schoolcar.

Can you link which backpack you use?

18 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Can you link which backpack you use?

The Kaka bag is like the “New Conductor Starter Kit.”  I’ve noticed most OG’s and people on the job for a bit don’t carry a bag remotely as large as the Kaka. 

I didn’t want the Kaka bag, because I didn’t want to be like everyone else, but someone in my class had one for sale and the bag I had at the time cut into my shoulders, because of the sheer weight.  The Kaka has many compartments and can hold a lot of thing, but I don’t think you’ll need it outside of schoolcar. It will come down to personal preference. 

The bright side is if you decide on the Kaka bag, there will be someone in your class OR a new hire who will gladly buy it off of you, because it’s a part of the “Starter Kit”. 

5 hours ago, workisforlames said:

I made it into the Oct 3rd class thank you to everyone that helped me out! I have my schedule for Monday through Wednesday does anyone who has been through the training know if I'll be training Thur and Friday? I have an appointment Fri need to know if I have to reschedule. 

Don't make any appointments for any weekdays for a while. You'll likely be on 1500-2300 shifts M-Th and 1700-0100 Friday. Plan to plan around that. They'll probably work you Thanksgiving too.  They'll put you in small classes of 10 or less and each class will have its own schedule... So that's why you only have the first three days so far.

Edited by Milano

On 9/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, workisforlames said:

I made it into the Oct 3rd class thank you to everyone that helped me out! I have my schedule for Monday through Wednesday does anyone who has been through the training know if I'll be training Thur and Friday? I have an appointment Fri need to know if I have to reschedule. 

On 9/27/2022 at 11:28 PM, Milano said:

Don't make any appointments for any weekdays for a while. You'll likely be on 1500-2300 shifts M-Th and 1700-0100 Friday. Plan to plan around that. They'll probably work you Thanksgiving too.  They'll put you in small classes of 10 or less and each class will have its own schedule... So that's why you only have the first three days so far.

When you work is can be awkward. My class actually started on Memorial Day, and a previous class started on Presidents Day, but when the 4th of July rolled around, they shifted our days off to give us a three day weekend. Mostly because until you are fully qualified, you can't work if 238 is completely closed.  So as that week was my last class week and the start of my posting period, I ended up posting on a Saturday. 

There is a whole thread on scholar car experience, but to give you the Reader's Digest version:

Monday will chart your course for the foreseeable future as it will decide what division you belong to.,, if they don't shove your entire class into one or the other. When I started, we were about 50 people. 20 slots were for the B division and the rest went to A. if they let you pick, it will be by list number. So as I had a higher number, I got to pick B.

Thursday you will get track safety qualified, you will get you your basic PPE (gloves, vest, safety glasses) and then they will walk you all down to Coney Island Yard.

There you will step over a 3rd rail, and then have to climb up and down the front of an R68 car (yes, everyone) twice. If you can't climb that car, and you are B division, you will get moved to A and given a second chance with an R62. Can't do that ether, you will have to resign. 

Friday they will split your induction group into actual classes. my group of 50 went down to five classes of 10.  you will also be assigned your actual instructor TSSes for the class period. 

Also, know that the 17-1 days are usually "Road Operations", going out and riding around, doing station stops with the train you've been working on that week. You will cut out all the doors on the train save for the pair closest to the conductor's position. The first week is usually just to get used to doing it for reals, but after that it will include identifying improper stops.

On these trips you will bring everything with you. If you are out and about and 1AM rolls around and you're not back in the yard yet due to some issue, you will be let off the train and told to go home. School car is 8 hours, HARD limit with one exception, 3rd rail jumper cable day... (shudders) 

11 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

When you work is can be awkward. My class actually started on Memorial Day, and a previous class started on Presidents Day, but when the 4th of July rolled around, they shifted our days off to give us a three day weekend. Mostly because until you are fully qualified, you can't work if 238 is completely closed.  So as that week was my last class week and the start of my posting period, I ended up posting on a Saturday. 

There is a whole thread on scholar car experience, but to give you the Reader's Digest version:

Monday will chart your course for the foreseeable future as it will decide what division you belong to.,, if they don't shove your entire class into one or the other. When I started, we were about 50 people. 20 slots were for the B division and the rest went to A. if they let you pick, it will be by list number. So as I had a higher number, I got to pick B.

Thursday you will get track safety qualified, you will get you your basic PPE (gloves, vest, safety glasses) and then they will walk you all down to Coney Island Yard.

There you will step over a 3rd rail, and then have to climb up and down the front of an R68 car (yes, everyone) twice. If you can't climb that car, and you are B division, you will get moved to A and given a second chance with an R62. Can't do that ether, you will have to resign. 

Friday they will split your induction group into actual classes. my group of 50 went down to five classes of 10.  you will also be assigned your actual instructor TSSes for the class period. 

Also, know that the 17-1 days are usually "Road Operations", going out and riding around, doing station stops with the train you've been working on that week. You will cut out all the doors on the train save for the pair closest to the conductor's position. The first week is usually just to get used to doing it for reals, but after that it will include identifying improper stops.

On these trips you will bring everything with you. If you are out and about and 1AM rolls around and you're not back in the yard yet due to some issue, you will be let off the train and told to go home. School car is 8 hours, HARD limit with one exception, 3rd rail jumper cable day... (shudders) 

Everyone's going to B at the mo.

But yes, pretty accurate on all accounts in your statement here 👌

On 9/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, The Saniter said:

On a side note, this is now the most viewed topic in the forums. I guess alot of people want to be Conductors! :D

There are a lot of people who come in to just read this thread to see how things work and what the need to know. Often times it’s friends or family as well.

on that note:

hi mom!

18 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

still, the more that come out, the higher I am on the XX list and the less likely I’ll get sent clear across town again so whatever works.

This gives me hope!! Although, all of NYC is clear across town for me.

Edited by Milano