Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

I called the MTA employment center today and it looks like it's way too early for them to disclose any info on 6601. That, plus the female who answered the phone wasn't too big on customer service. Nothing has been established with 6601 as of yet. I'll see you guys here after Christmas. I'll be trying to survive with my shit job in the meantime.

Edited by RedViper90

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called the MTA employment center today and it looks like it's way too early for them to disclose any info on 6601. That, plus the female who answered the phone wasn't too big on customer service. Nothing has been established with 6601 as of yet. I'll see you guys here after Christmas. I'll be trying to survive with my shit job in the meantime.

It is way to early to expect any action on 6601.

The current Conductor list from Exam 8094 was extended to February 16, 2017. After the Conductor list terminates, then the Promotion Exam 5716, as of the last post in this thread Promotion to conductor 5716 they are still awaiting their list numbers. The TA has to go through all those candidates and close the promotional list before anyone from the open competitive exam gets called.

Also keep an eye on the MTA website MTA NYC Transit Conductor, Exam No. 6601

Keep in mind waits can be long, I got called for Bus Operator Exam 4600 in March 2016 and applied for that exam back in August 2013. 

Edited by 161NewYork

@RedViper, thanks for calling and letting us know what you found out. They'll get to us eventually, but the list may not issue for another few months, and they may not start professing people from the list for a few months after that. I'm thinking summer of 2017 (next summer) people might actually begin to get hired (enter school car) on this list, and the list may issue in January or February of next year.

I took thw traffic enforcement test and going to take police test, so i dont mind i dont get in.

By the time is 2020, i can the bus exam,

So i got back up plans????

Like I said before and I'll say it again, nothing is official until the list comes out!! Period!!

I think all city exam expired after four years. So dont worry, just have to patiently wait.

Good luck

I think all city exam expired after four years. So dont worry, just have to patiently wait.

Not necessarily true...depending on how slow or fast a list moves, they might extend the list two [2] more years, which means that some lists will be active for a total of six [6] years.

Why does bus driver need so much job experience and need three year of driver license?

If anyone here applies for bus exam before, let me know?

I've applied for the Bus Operator exam before twice and failed the 10-day training session, therefore here are your answers:

According to the Notice of Examination for B/O Exam 2613 and B/O Exam 4600, it says "Your CDL or motor vehicle driver license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position." This is to simply check for any accidents (which they do not tolerate), any tickets, DWIs, DUIs, etc. That's all.

As far as the experience, I would invite you to read over the 2613 & 4600 threads, and then you can make your own conclusions about the necessary job experience, which the notice of examinations say nothing about.

Let's also try to stay on-topic...thank you.

Not necessarily true...depending on how slow or fast a list moves, they might extend the list two [2] more years, which means that some lists will be active for a total of six [6] years.

I've applied for the Bus Operator exam before twice and failed the 10-day training session, therefore here are your answers:

According to the Notice of Examination for B/O Exam 2613 and B/O Exam 4600, it says "Your CDL or motor vehicle driver license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position." This is to simply check for any accidents (which they do not tolerate), any tickets, DWIs, DUIs, etc. That's all.

As far as the experience, I would invite you to read over the 2613 & 4600 threads, and then you can make your own conclusions about the necessary job experience, which the notice of examinations say nothing about.

Let's also try to stay on-topic...thank you.

Thanks. I hope i get into mta, if not, there is nothing to worry about.

My future job was to police or bus driver. Conductor was in Between

I see people get in after five years.

Got a 91, likely womt get. In unless they need more people

41,000 people fight for this job. There onlyhired 1,000 or more.

Sighs, i wonder how long will they send our final result and list numbee

Dont we have an oral speaking test ?

Thanks. I hope i get into mta, if not, there is nothing to worry about.

My future job was to police or bus driver. Conductor was in Between

I see people get in after five years.

Got a 91, likely womt get. In unless they need more people

41,000 people fight for this job. There onlyhired 1,000 or more.

Sighs, i wonder how long will they send our final result and list numbee

Dont we have an oral speaking test ?

Just give it time and think positive. A lot of people change their minds, fail the drug test, etc., so just think positive.

The Notice of Examination did mention an oral speaking test...I think it'll be not only brief, but held at Livingston Street as well, especially since Conductors (and platform Conductors) interact with the public...

I fell upon a gold mine of MTA info recently. Check this out and scroll down to the "Headcount" section and also the "Agency Financial Plans" section (Look under NYCT). This will give you an idea of what they're planning on doing for the next 3 years including staffing. I found it very interesting to know the amount of money they're dealing with and where it all goes. Also, you can see 2017 is a big year. Check it out!

http://web.mta.info/news/pdf/MTA_2017_Preliminary_Budget_July_Financial_Plan_2017_2020_Volume_2.pdf

Edited by RedViper90

After trying to figure out what the document REDVIPER90 linked us, i was able to obtain the following information for conductors;

1)    "The 2017 increase is mainly the result of additional coverage required to meet intensified track repair work at NYCT and training of locomotive engineers and conductors at MNR. In later Plan years, across the Agencies, year-over-year changes are modest and consistent with wage growth assumptions and changes in operational requirements. "

2)   Concrete Safety Enhancements that promote safe operations and safe work practices included:
             "Continuing Locomotive Engineer, Conductor, Rail Traffic Controller, and Yardmaster rightsizing initiatives to appropriately balance/limit fatigue risk, shift coverage, and overtime use."

3)    Proposed Additional Investments:
     "Train and Engine (T&E) Block Training Extension from 3 to 5 Days - block Training is the period of time during the year when the approximately 1,400 Metro-North Engineer and Conductor (T&E) crew members fulfill their periodic training requirements. It takes a full year to process these employees through their annual block training exercise. This two day extension, which is being instituted to more efficiently train the crews on new state and federally mandated topics as well as PTC, will enable Metro-North to more effectively cover the cost for coverage of
service while employees are completing this additional training."

4) "Human Resources continues its aggressive hiring efforts to fill vacancies, especially for critical, must-fill maintenance positions in all areas and crafts. Human Resources is also working closely with Transportation to right-size the Locomotive Engineer, Conductor, Yardmaster and Rail Traffic Controller ranks."

5) "Provide for a more efficient process for scheduling mandatory train engineer and

conductor training, enabling MNR to provide better service coverage utilizing straight-time rather than overtime."

Edited by niku

Did they establish the list for promotion to conductor? Aren't they going to be hiring from that list starting in a few months, before they begin hiring from this open competitive list?

from what I am hearing 8094 will expire in February 2017 and the promotional list will be established and called then, this exam will be established and called when they are done with the promotional list. Edited by tdevon2012

After trying to figure out what the document REDVIPER90 linked us, i was able to obtain the following information for conductors;

1)    "The 2017 increase is mainly the result of additional coverage required to meet intensified track repair work at NYCT and training of locomotive engineers and conductors at MNR. In later Plan years, across the Agencies, year-over-year changes are modest and consistent with wage growth assumptions and changes in operational requirements. "

2)   Concrete Safety Enhancements that promote safe operations and safe work practices included:
             "Continuing Locomotive Engineer, Conductor, Rail Traffic Controller, and Yardmaster rightsizing initiatives to appropriately balance/limit fatigue risk, shift coverage, and overtime use."

3)    Proposed Additional Investments:
     "Train and Engine (T&E) Block Training Extension from 3 to 5 Days - block Training is the period of time during the year when the approximately 1,400 Metro-North Engineer and Conductor (T&E) crew members fulfill their periodic training requirements. It takes a full year to process these employees through their annual block training exercise. This two day extension, which is being instituted to more efficiently train the crews on new state and federally mandated topics as well as PTC, will enable Metro-North to more effectively cover the cost for coverage of

service while employees are completing this additional training."

4) "Human Resources continues its aggressive hiring efforts to fill vacancies, especially for critical, must-fill maintenance positions in all areas and crafts. Human Resources is also working closely with Transportation to right-size the Locomotive Engineer, Conductor, Yardmaster and Rail Traffic Controller ranks."

5) "Provide for a more efficient process for scheduling mandatory train engineer and

conductor training, enabling MNR to provide better service coverage utilizing straight-time rather than overtime."

That all concerns Metro-North, not NYCT Subways.

NYCT subways personnel needs for operating personnel are largely based on retirements and promotions, which are expected to remain at elevated levels for the next several years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone like me, whose circumstances are depending on this job, I share this: 

Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2016 9:01 PM

To: Exams Unit
Subject: Exam 6601 Inquiry

"Hello, my name is Maximo Filpo. I took the Conductor Exam #6601 last April. Are there any updates regarding the list to be established?"

Reply from Exams Unit: ------"For Conductor, Exam # 6601: if you kept a record of answers, you will be able to calculate your score by checking the answer key, Click on the link and it will take you to the website for the proposed answer keys:  http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/proposed_answerkey.htm

Your official score will be mailed to you when the list is established in about 2 years."

I contacted them recently with the question above and that is what they wrote. I don't know if 2017 is truly the year they'll be hiring, like the many future transit retirees have told me; maybe just for promotional. I'll be focusing on other survival jobs for now.

For anyone like me, whose circumstances are depending on this job, I share this:

"Hello, my name is Maximo Filpo. I took the Conductor Exam #6601 last April. Are there any updates regarding the list to be established?"

Reply from Exams Unit: ------"For Conductor, Exam # 6601: if you kept a record of answers, you will be able to calculate your score by checking the answer key, Click on the link and it will take you to the website for the proposed answer keys: http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/proposed_answerkey.htm

Your official score will be mailed to you when the list is established in about 2 years."

I contacted them recently with the question above and that is what they wrote. I don't know if 2017 is truly the year they'll be hiring, like the many future transit retirees have told me; maybe just for promotional. I'll be focusing on other survival jobs for now.

well remember 8094 expires in February. As of right now they have classes scheduled for December and January. Once that list expires then the promotional list will be called depending on who want the promotional job (which you'll be surprised at the people who took it and, don't want the job) they will move onto this exam and list. I'm on this exam and the 8094 exam and, I just was called for pre-employment in August waiting to start a class. It might be a while so two nyears wont sound crazy.

Reply from Exams Unit: ------"For Conductor, Exam # 6601: if you kept a record of answers, you will be able to calculate your score by checking the answer key, Click on the link and it will take you to the website for the proposed answer keys:  http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/proposed_answerkey.htm

"For anyone like me, whose circumstances are depending on this job"

Hey brother, just a friendly piece of advice. Don't "depend" on getting this job take every exam you qualify for since you never know what can happen.

With that said thank you for the update, I kind of wish the MTA wouldn't have taken over the exam process from the DCAS since they're quick to send out scores. I got my results from the corrections exam approximately 6 months after I took my exam. It also took about 8 months for the candidates on 8094 to receive their official results. A two year wait just to even receive our official score and list number is disappointing to say the least.

On a good note, the promotion to Train Operator exam should be used before 6601 will get touched so that along with the usual yearly retirements should free up a substantial amount of vacancies.

I got a good score on my preliminary results so I'm hoping I can be hired the first year when they start calling from our list. Best of luck to you and everyone else on this list.

Disappointing response from the Exams Unit but there's a lot going on in 2017 - a new labor contract likely leading to a lot more retirements, promotion to conductor putting more conductors into the field, promotion to train operator removIng some conductors from the ranks.

I sort of expected to get test results soon even if they're not hiring from this list for a while - then again, they may decide there's no point sending results until they're done hiring from the old open-competitive exam and they've done most of their hiring from the promotional exam.

All we can do is move ahead with our lives, take other exams and hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised by our scores and list numbers when we eventually get the official results.