Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Thank you. That is helpful but looks like top pay numbers. Found this in the chief: Conductors are paid $20.25 per hour for a 40-hour week, increasing to $28.94 per hour in the sixth year. But that was before the increase we see in the link you sent. So maybe about $1 more to start? $21.25? Amounts to about $45k a year without overtime. I'd be taking a cut :/ But over time it will pay more, and I should try to get promoted.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@adorkasherri,

Lots of opportunity for OT, which starts daily once you work more than 8 hours.

And night/weekend differentials, etc.

it can definitely add up, even if you stay in the title.

I think someone mentioned that the new contract provided top base pay for conductors at approx. $31.50 per hour - it does take a while, 5 years I believe, to reach top pay.

Thanks for the link, Young. So it isn't pass/fail a score of 70% or higher is needed. I'm hoping that they tell us on the spot whether we passed or not and more importantly I hope we're successful.

I'm just glad things are starting to move and thankful to have received a letter. I'm going to try and participate in class as much as possible these next two weeks lol.

My date is Oct 10th.  Its all by ear atm since my diabetes is not under controll, hasn't been for 6 months, working like hell to change it, so they could put me on medical hold. If they do and I get called for T/O and have my diabetes under control I might go for T/O while staying on hold for C/R, so if for some reason I do wash out, I'll still be on the C/R list. Lots of options

Morning everyone

This is my first time posting but have been trolling this forum and others for quite some time. I also received a letter to take the OPA on 10/17/2017 for 10:30AM. After looking over my proposed answer sheet, I thank GOD that I have only 3 wrong. I would like to extend all the best wishes to those who have received an OPA letter already. Also, the ones who have not received their OPA letter yet, still got a lot of time left before Exam # 8094 finally ends next year February. (Praying that it actually ends, because its been a long 10 years for that same exam, lol)

3 hours ago, Oceans11 said:

Morning everyone

This is my first time posting but have been trolling this forum and others for quite some time. I also received a letter to take the OPA on 10/17/2017 for 10:30AM. After looking over my proposed answer sheet, I thank GOD that I have only 3 wrong. I would like to extend all the best wishes to those who have received an OPA letter already. Also, the ones who have not received their OPA letter yet, still got a lot of time left before Exam # 8094 finally ends next year February. (Praying that it actually ends, because its been a long 10 years for that same exam, lol)

I got 4 wrong.. looking like I’ll get a letter with the next wave that they send out, which could b like a yr from now lol. At least the list is starting to move

15 minutes ago, 2nice said:

I got 4 wrong.. looking like I’ll get a letter with the next wave that they send out, which could b like a yr from now lol. At least the list is starting to move

But in all honesty 2nice, you just might receive a letter before the week or even the month ends, just stay positive and congrats on getting only 4 wrong. 

2 hours ago, Yawgmoth13 said:

Got 3 wrong on the test and got the letter asking me to come in on Oct 12 didn't receive it until Saturday. 

That is great news, congrats!!!!!

Just curious if the MTA employees who took the promotional exam to become conductors are still being called in along with the ones who took the open competitive exam # 8094?

19 minutes ago, Oceans11 said:

That is great news, congrats!!!!!

Just curious if the MTA employees who took the promotional exam to become conductors are still being called in along with the ones who took the open competitive exam # 8094?

8094 doesn't expire until Feb 2018 even though not as many people took it as 6601 I don't think they would be able to exhaust it before it expires

2 minutes ago, LIRRMEDFORD said:

8094 doesn't expire until Feb 2018 even though not as many people took it as 6601 I don't think they would be able to exhaust it before it expires

I agree but I read from another forum that some who took the promotional exam was being called and attend the same classes as the ones who took the open competitive for 8094. I could be wrong but I have not seen or read anywhere that said that they have stopped hiring promos.

Would anybody have an idea on how many more people took exam # 6601 compared to # 8094?

My understanding is that several months ago they finished calling everyone who passed the promotIonal conductor exam. They may have had mixed classes with open competitive and promotional candidates. Transit is obligated to call everyone for processing who passes promotional exams - they aren't required to do so for open-competitive exams and never do so with popular ones like conductor, train operator or track worker.

An open competitive 8094 class just began and I think there will be at least one more 8094 class before they begin calling from 6601. 

Perhaps there will be 3-4 months of 8094 classes before they start calling from 6601, that's what I'd like to know - when 8094 ends and 6601 begins. 

6 minutes ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

My understanding is that several months ago they finished calling everyone who passed the promotIonal conductor exam. They may have had mixed classes with open competitive and promotional candidates. Transit is obligated to call everyone for processing who passes promotional exams - they aren't required to do so for open-competitive exams and never do so with popular ones like conductor, train operator or track worker.

An open competitive 8094 class just began and I think there will be at least one more 8094 class before they begin calling from 6601. 

Perhaps there will be 3-4 months of 8094 classes before they start calling from 6601, that's what I'd like to know - when 8094 ends and 6601 begins. 

Thanks for the clarification, but what about during the winter months? I could be wrong but I believe the forum for 8094 mentioned that they usually do not hold classes during the winter months but again, I could be wrong.

Can someone explain what exactly is the OPA and what it consist of? Is it something new that prior MTA conductor candidates did not have to take ?

Also how do I find out my score ? To be honest with you I forgot I even took this test. Is getting called now for the OPA a good sign ?

I’m actually a NYPD cop, I don’t know if making the switch is a good idea ? What is top pay for this exam ?

Thanks.

Edited by Lekith

The oral proficiency assessment exam is to make sure you can read write speak and communicate in english. Also there is a memorization part of it. It explains everything in the letter they sent you. I got my letter a couple days ago. Appt on Oct 19th. Happy to see they are finally moving along with the process.

14 minutes ago, HeWi G said:

The oral proficiency assessment exam is to make sure you can read write speak and communicate in english. Also there is a memorization part of it. It explains everything in the letter they sent you. I got my letter a couple days ago. Appt on Oct 19th. Happy to see they are finally moving along with the process.

Dress code for OPA? Doesn’t say anything in the letter sooo. 

I'm new to this forum but I was wondering does anyone have a clue about when 6601 will get the official scores mailed to there house? And do we get the official scores and then we have to wait or will we just get a letter to come in. Lastly what type of drug test does mta conduct for new hires, because nypd did hair follicle but idk if mta follows the same structure

• Harry featured this topic
4 hours ago, Lekith said:

Can someone explain what exactly is the OPA and what it consist of? Is it something new that prior MTA conductor candidates did not have to take ?

Also how do I find out my score ? To be honest with you I forgot I even took this test. Is getting called now for the OPA a good sign ?

I’m actually a NYPD cop, I don’t know if making the switch is a good idea ? What is top pay for this exam ?

Thanks.

The OPA appears to verify you can comprehend, memorize, organize thoughts and verbally communicate them, most likely using the English language.  To my knowledge it wasn't a pre-employment requirement before now.

The final answer key does not exist, and neither does the eligibles list, so we can only anticipate our possible final scores using the proposed answer key.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/proposed_answerkey.htm

Top pay for Conductor by Feb 16, 2018 is $31.6350/hr, so you will be taking a paycut considering top pay.

Regarding the consideration to switch between professions is a personal choice.  Transit is 25/55 for retirement while NYPD depending on which year of induction might be 22 and out or less.  At top pay as a cop you can make well over $120k, and presuming you have very few command discplines, favourable record, win all your CCRB reviews, and get no G.O.15s you have a chance to make it all the way to Captain through civil service tests.  Down here, from what I've seen, Supt is an interview that requires a recommendation, correct me if I am wrong.  On the plus side, no more improper memo book entries and no residency requirement.

On 9/25/2017 at 1:23 PM, MTAhopefullMatt said:

Promo for Conductor list is active until Feb 1, 2021, so should any of the eligibles who have been called and declined, have the option to be reinstated to the list for the next available class.

8094 is expected to expire on Feb 16, 2018.