Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

23 minutes ago, Dave2836 said:

The OPA appears to verify you can comprehend, memorize, organize thoughts and verbally communicate them, most likely using the English language.  To my knowledge it wasn't a pre-employment requirement before now.

The final answer key does not exist, and neither does the eligibles list, so we can only anticipate our possible final scores using the proposed answer key.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/proposed_answerkey.htm

Top pay for Conductor by Feb 16, 2018 is $31.6350/hr, so you will be taking a paycut considering top pay.

Regarding the consideration to switch between professions is a personal choice.  Transit is 25/55 for retirement while NYPD depending on which year of induction might be 22 and out or less.  At top pay as a cop you can make well over $120k, and presuming you have very few command discplines, favourable record, win all your CCRB reviews, and get no G.O.15s you have a chance to make it all the way to Captain through civil service tests.  Down here, from what I've seen, Supt is an interview that requires a recommendation, correct me if I am wrong.  On the plus side, no more improper memo book entries and no residency requirement.

Promo for Conductor list is active until Feb 1, 2021, so should any of the eligibles who have been called and declined, have the option to be reinstated to the list for the next available class.

8094 is expected to expire on Feb 16, 2018.

Thank you for all of your information.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, nycyellowjacket said:

Has anyone attempted to reschedule their OPA exam? And if so, what was the outcome?

I sent an email to examsunit@nyct.com on Sunday 9/24 requesting to reschedule. I have yet to receive a reply.

I rescheduled it and they gave me a new date.

1 hour ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

I got 4 wrong, no OPA letter yet, either.

Curious both to know when the letter comes and what this OPA experience is like.

Got 4 wrong as well..hopefully we get a letter at the same time.. but like others have said..at least things are moving 

Just speculation but how soon could people called from the 6601 list be called? Assume the top scorer. 

Is this something that could happen within the next few months, or most likely over a year away?

Thanks, just trying to get an idea about of how soon I could be called.

@ Cait Sith, 

I'm one of the many who hasn't received the OPA letter yet, and I took the exam in one of the earlier administrations, 4/23 a.m.

So it's definitely not based on chronology in terms of when you took the test - I suspect it's based on finalized (but not yet official) score.

Finalized because Transit has determined what questions if any they will throw out based on the protest sessions, so the grading is done.

Not official because nothing is official until Transit actually releases the list for this exam.

26 minutes ago, Dred said:

Just speculation but how soon could people called from the 6601 list be called? Assume the top scorer. 

Is this something that could happen within the next few months, or most likely over a year away?

Thanks, just trying to get an idea about of how soon I could be called.

I'm not sure but I'm speculating myself that it's soon. According to the examination notice, we're being called as vacancies occur. I'm hoping that means medical will follow soon after if you pass the opa.21jy7wl.jpg

1 hour ago, adorkasherri said:

I'm not sure but I'm speculating myself that it's soon. According to the examination notice, we're being called as vacancies occur. I'm hoping that means medical will follow soon after if you pass the opa.

The OPA is an add-on to the exam process. Similar to TA Buses, we take the initial open competitive exam and then a personality "survey" called the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS). BOSS does not have a grade. Likely, the OPA is similar to the BOSS exam, but since it is new, we need to see how it works out.

Again, if the OPA is anything like the BOSS exam and the hiring process is similar to bus operator, the likely process is, we WAIT until the list is established by DCAS, then folks will get called in for a drug test/pre-employment and then medical/final processing.

Edited by 161 New York

17 minutes ago, 161 New York said:

The OPA is an add-on to the exam process. Similar to TA Buses, we take the initial open competitive exam and then a personality "survey" called the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS). BOSS does not have a grade. Likely, the OPA is similar to the BOSS exam, but since it is new, we need to see how it works out.

Again, if the OPA is anything like the BOSS exam and the hiring process is similar to bus operator, the likely process is, we WAIT until the list is established by DCAS, then folks will get called in for a drug test/pre-employment and then medical/final processing.

I see what you are saying. You are saying they can't go forward until the list is finally established and this OPA is just more or less part of the first exam.

Makes sense since you need a  70 on it to pass. 

The only thing that makes things confusing is they are giving the test to the highest scorers first, you would think they would give it randomly to everyone who passed the first exam. 

In the end it is a big unknown, but we are still probably looking at another year before DCAS creates their list. 

10 minutes ago, Dred said:

I see what you are saying. You are saying they can't go forward until the list is finally established and this OPA is just more or less part of the first exam.

Makes sense since you need a  70 on it to pass. 

The only thing that makes things confusing is they are giving the test to the highest scorers first, you would think they would give it randomly to everyone who passed the first exam. 

In the end it is a big unknown, but we are still probably looking at another year before DCAS creates their list. 

With the BOSS survey, passing/failing the survey did not prevent anyone from getting a list number.

My speculation is that they are giving the OPA assessment to the top 2,000 or so folks, likely to keep things manageable for 180 Livingston. Also, for the low scorers, realistically, they have almost no chance at getting hired and for them to spend an additional $25 wouldn't be right. Again, speculating, when they need more candidates, they'll invite another "batch" to take an OPA.

Edited by 161 New York

11 hours ago, adorkasherri said:

I'm also scheduled for the 4th but did not receive anything in the mail today. I was scheduled for the morning. You?

I was scheduled for 2 PM oct 4th. I almost feel like calling to inquire on why my date was changed.