Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Dred said:

Damn you guys are lucky who got 2PM, they want me to be there at 7:30AM. I go to sleep at 2:30AM normally so will get almost no sleep.  

Lol. I get up around 6:20AM everyday for school so I'm somewhat used to waking up early. I'm going to wake up at 5am the day of the exam though. Are you scheduled for the 4th? If so we may bump into each other.

3 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Lol. I get up around 6:20AM everyday for school so I'm somewhat used to waking up early. I'm going to wake up at 5am the day of the exam though. Are you scheduled for the 4th? If so we may bump into each other.

Hey they say the earlier your there the faster you leave. So if they want you there 7:30 get there 7. Most likely be ahead of the line. First thru the doors. In and out! 

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

That's weird my unofficial score when I graded myself was a 96.25% and I haven't received any letter from the MTA

It’s really up in the air as to how MTA is moving my current co-worker got 5 wrong and received a notice for OPA. So I mean and he was one of the last people to apply how do i know because i told him last day of to apply so It’s really inconclusive at this point. 

Overall, just remain patient I believe as long as you got over a 90 your in good shape for the job. May take you a hot minute but you’ll get in. 

1 hour ago, DrewMania said:

It’s really up in the air as to how MTA is moving my current co-worker got 5 wrong and received a notice for OPA. So I mean and he was one of the last people to apply how do i know because i told him last day of to apply so It’s really inconclusive at this point. 

Overall, just remain patient I believe as long as you got over a 90 your in good shape for the job. May take you a hot minute but you’ll get in. 

That’s a first I’ve seen. 5 wrong and getting a letter. Almost everyone that posted they received a letter got 1-3 wrong. I myself and someone else got 4 wrong and still haven’t gotten one. Weird. Either way at least things are starting to move along

1 minute ago, 2nice said:

That’s a first I’ve seen. 5 wrong and getting a letter. Almost everyone that posted they received a letter got 1-3 wrong. I myself and someone else got 4 wrong and still haven’t gotten one. Weird. Either way at least things are starting to move along

I said the same thing. I didn’t believe it until he bought that to work. I needed proof. But it’s clear as a day. But after thinking about it and speaking with him. He could’ve gotten 5 wrong when he first check his answers but after the protest for the exam it could’ve actually help him in reducing the questions he got wrong.

but like you said at least things are moving and starting to see progress. 

Does anyone have an idea about how difficult the OPA is if English is your first language? I'll probably be out of it because I'm not going to get any sleep that night and I'm always out of it in the mornings, so just wondering if I should worry or will it be impossible to fail if English is your first language?

I also assume that it only matters if you pass or fail this? Or will they use the score to establish list numbers, where a higher score would be better? 

What do you think? 

Edited by Dred

9 hours ago, DrewMania said:

I said the same thing. I didn’t believe it until he bought that to work. I needed proof. But it’s clear as a day. But after thinking about it and speaking with him. He could’ve gotten 5 wrong when he first check his answers but after the protest for the exam it could’ve actually help him in reducing the questions he got wrong.

but like you said at least things are moving and starting to see progress. 

Interesting. There are some people on here with 4 wrong who didn't get called and myself who got 5 wrong with no letter. Wondering what the cutoff was.  

4 hours ago, DoubleL said:

Interesting. There are some people on here with 4 wrong who didn't get called and myself who got 5 wrong with no letter. Wondering what the cutoff was.  

As far as questions go I myself got 5 wrong no letter. Which is fine with me. I’m very patient because I’ll like to read/hear what the OPA is actually all about from those that did it first. They’ll give the inside scope on things and that’ll help everyone in the long run. I still wish those that take it first the best of luck of course. 

2 hours ago, DrewMania said:

As far as questions go I myself got 5 wrong no letter. Which is fine with me. I’m very patient because I’ll like to read/hear what the OPA is actually all about from those that did it first. They’ll give the inside scope on things and that’ll help everyone in the long run. I still wish those that take it first the best of luck of course. 

I have the earliest possible date, doesn't always pay to be a winner lol

1 hour ago, Lekith said:

I have this Monday . What is the dress code ? What are you guys wearing ? I know it doesn’t mention it but just curious.

I plan on going in with black dress pants blue dress shirt and stripe blue tie, MTA  blue em to death lol

Edited by LIRRMEDFORD

Damn. So you guys are going for the business casual look? I was planning on going in black jeans, boots, and a sweater lol. Might have to rethink it. I may email the exams unit if anything.

@Jake I don't want to go shopping either since it isn't really an interview, but I don't want to screw up either and bring any unwanted negative attention down at Livingston. Can you guys going in on Monday let us know what should we wear and what to expect on the OPA? I go in on Wednesday.

3 hours ago, Lekith said:

I have this Monday . What is the dress code ? What are you guys wearing ? I know it doesn’t mention it but just curious.

3 hours ago, Schecter said:

I'd go in with business attire, that's just me though.  Remember first impression counts. 

2 hours ago, LIRRMEDFORD said:

I plan on going in with black dress pants blue dress shirt and stripe blue tie, MTA  blue em to death lol

52 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Damn. So you guys are going for the business casual look? I was planning on going in black jeans, boots, and a sweater lol. Might have to rethink it. I may email the exams unit if anything.

@Jake I don't want to go shopping either since it isn't really an interview, but I don't want to screw up either and bring any unwanted negative attention down at Livingston. Can you guys going in on Monday let us know what should we wear and what to expect on the OPA? I go in on Wednesday.

This shouldn't even be a question. You should go in there looking to impress. If anyone showed up to my office wearing jeans, I'd see them, but I likely wouldn't consider hiring them. I don't think a suit is necessary in this case, but treat it like an interview even though it isn't. Dress pants, shirt and tie and some dress shoes should work. For the love of God no sneakers and wear items that FIT. I always laugh when I see guys wearing ties that are above their belly button because they don't know how to knot a tie properly and how long it should be, etc. They look like idiots. These days there is really no excuse. I'm 6'4", 210 pounds, and have no problems dressing professionally, so no one else should. You can find anything you need these days. Back in the old days getting size 12 or 13 shoes and dress shirts that were long enough in the sleeves were a challenge, but not today.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

If they wanted a dress code they would mention it. When I went through the FDNY hiring process nobody ever was dressed up, mostly everyone wore sneakers and jeans. Nobody cares.

I personally would feel stupid if I got dressed up.

All you are is a number, and they have to hire you only based on your scores and passing tests. Impressing someone is just a waste of time as it means nothing. This is a city job. 

I am basing this off of going through the FDNY hiring process, and I believe it will be no different with a conductor job. 

The few people who got dressed up always looked odd. 

Edited by Dred

25 minutes ago, Dred said:

If they wanted a dress code they would mention it. When I went through the FDNY hiring process nobody ever was dressed up, mostly everyone wore sneakers and jeans. Nobody cares.

All you are is a number, and they have to hire you only based on your scores and passing tests. Impressing someone is just a waste of time as it means nothing. This is a city job. 

I am basing this off of going through the FDNY hiring process, and I believe it will be no different with a conductor job. 

The few people who got dressed up always looked odd. 

Lol I 100% agree with you sadly it’s the truth , but I also get what the other guy said about dress to impress. I’ve been employed with the city with two different agencies and if it doesn’t specify a dress code people did show up in jeans and everyone had the same equal opportunity of getting hired. To each there own but I only asked to get a feel for what other people were doing. Dred is 100% right when he says your just a number.

Edited by Lekith

5 hours ago, jake3178 said:

I have the earliest possible date, doesn't always pay to be a winner lol

Hey, can you please update us on what happens when you complete yours and if they give you any idea on how long it will take to be hired? Thank you

2 hours ago, Dred said:

All you are is a number, and they have to hire you only based on your scores...

This.

Don't over think it too much, especially when you see people at 180 being promoted to Supervisor positions wearing hooded sweatshirts and cargo pants.  

Knowing what I know now, I would wear something casual, like a polo shirt and chinos or maybe slacks.  Solid blue top and black or navy blue pants if you want to impress yourself.  I would also consider putting on cologne or perfume and deodorant or antiperspirant in case you are invited to do a drug test.  That MAC room can get crowded and smell funky.

After you are sworn in, then the dress code becomes important.

• Harry unfeatured this topic