Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if theres a specific study guide that I should look into? What exactly is on the exam?

I don't know about study guide but, from what I gathered from lurking here is that you should know military time, NYC area (land marks etc. and how to get there), good english, and math.

I did buy the conductor study guide from the bookstore, the one with the green cover. It was the only conductor study guide they had. I didn't find it particularly helpful, and it's very outdated. If it was ever updated, it hasn't been in at least 15 years - it references the double letter subway lines, for example.

I've taken a few NYC Transit exams over the years and I think the key things are taking your time and close attention to detail. NYC geography knowledge is helpful - studying the subway map would be a good place to start.

They want to know above all that you have outstanding reading comprehension. Military time

(understanding train and work schedules) and general NYC geography are important as well.

Taking mine on the 24th at Midwood as well. I better start studying these landmarks and locations. I usually just walk to where I know places are and don't pay attention to streets and stuff like that. Hopefully, transit will be hiring lots of conductors and soon from this list. Lord knows I need this career. Good luck to everyone here!

The MTA stated on their website on the exam update that they won't change the exam date under most circumstances. They gave a few narrow exceptions like if you suffered a workers comp injury that makes you unable to show up on the scheduled exam date.

You could try going down to 130 Livingston and plead your case.

Thanks for the response.. Hopefully my job will give me the day off

The MTA stated on their website on the exam update that they won't change the exam date under most circumstances. They gave a few narrow exceptions like if you suffered a workers comp injury that makes you unable to show up on the scheduled exam date.

You could try going down to 130 Livingston and plead your case.

You're welcome...and good luck.

Hey guys I'm scheduled to take the exam on the 23rd in the afternoon. This is my first time posting to this forum, just wondering what is the usual waiting time to be called granted you score well? How many questions is the exam? And how long on the job until you can become a train operator? Good luck to all of you and thank you in advance for the responses.

The last conductor exam had 75 questions. I scored a 97.3 on that exam and I waited nearly 5 years for the mta to get to my list number. As far as becoming a train operator goes, what you could do is take the next open competitive train operator exam and switch from conductor to train operator once you pass your probation as a conductor. The filing period for the next train operator exam starts on June 3rd.

The last conductor exam had 75 questions. I scored a 97.3 on that exam and I waited nearly 5 years for the mta to get to my list number. As far as becoming a train operator goes, what you could do is take the next open competitive train operator exam and switch from conductor to train operator once you pass your probation as a conductor. The filing period for the next train operator exam starts on June 3rd.

Thank you for the information. WOW 5 years is a long time,and that's s great score. I thought it was more like 2 years or something.

You know what the requirement are for the train operator exam?

I'm hoping this list moves much faster than the last one. Handling test administration in-house should allow NYC Transit to move much faster bringing on new people from this exam.

There are so many uncertainties, though - the state of the overall NYS/NYC economy, NYC Transit's budget, retirements, the pace that people leave the title, service improvements...

I'm not going to go sifting through all of the other pages. I know someone probably answered it already, but allow me to double down.

Don't waste your time looking for study guides and study books. MTA is looking to hire people they can train to do the job.

I repeat.

THEY ARE LOOKING TO HIRE PEOPLE THEY CAN TRAIN TO DO THE JOB!

That being said don't go overboard studying material related to performing the job. MTA hates nothing more than people who know the job before doing the job because those are the type of people who are going to defy orders because they "know it all" already.

Make sure you are proficient in simple math, reading comprehension and NYC landmarks. Anything transit related on the test that pertains to the performance of duties will have a diagram above the question and the answer will be within said diagram. Take the test preparing to work for a paramilitary organization meaning being prepared to follow instructions. If you haven't been good at that all your life then now is the time to get good at it or not bother taking the job.

hello all i'm taking test april 9th too.  

If this is anything like the track worker exam #3600 I took.  it'll take a while before anyone is called.  I scored 100% on the test and still haven't been called yet.  I took the exam march 2013. I'm sure to be in the next class or the one following.  so basically 3 yrs after taking test.  I'm number 600 - 610.  

also if its anything like the track worker exam, its basically reading comprehension (reading the paragraphs and answer the questions that follow) and simple math that 8th graders can pass.  

Just and FYI for everyone.  

Quick question, are we allowed to bring a cell phone to the test site? I don't see anything about NOT bringing a phone on the letter I got but I swear I remember reading something some where about phones not allowed at the testing site. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

hello all i'm taking test april 9th too.  

If this is anything like the track worker exam #3600 I took.  it'll take a while before anyone is called.  I scored 100% on the test and still haven't been called yet.  I took the exam march 2013. I'm sure to be in the next class or the one following.  so basically 3 yrs after taking test.  I'm number 600 - 610.  

also if its anything like the track worker exam, its basically reading comprehension (reading the paragraphs and answer the questions that follow) and simple math that 8th graders can pass.  

Just and FYI for everyone.  

wow  let us know how the test goes and good luck im taking mine on the 23rd