Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, jake3178 said:

its been a long wait, my official list number is better than 120. crazy huh.

though i was already hired for another title a few months ago, so thats one extra position for you guys lol

question 1: if this list is "established", does that mean i also passed the OPA? or will that list be modified as results start coming in

question 2: once they call me for Conductor, can i ask them to skip me in case i want to change my mind in the next 4 years.. how do i do that officially

thank you to whoever posted the link and also for possibly answering my questions =)

1) No, its just a list of eligibles.  Not everyone on the list will pass the drug test or fitness for duty assessments.

2)  http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employees/prr_rule4.shtml

Section VIII Declination of appointment holds your answers.  I believe you can restore your name to the list 3 times during the life of the list (Feb. 14 2022). 

However i recall you might be drafted into signals trainee or become a maintainer?  If you become a maintainer, you will make more $$ than a conductor and might have to accept a demotion or resign altogether to accept the CR job.

Refer to rule 9 of the book dealing with promotions.

Edit-tower operator promo exam is opn to filing on june 8th 2018.  Transit electrical helpers in the electrical division (signals and power) are eligible.  Just have to be permanent by the time of the TEST according to the 2016 NOE

Edited by Dave2836
TW/O Promo update

Did exam #8094 expire.... I was placed on medical hold and when I cleared i was told sorry classes are full.  Just hoping someone can give me some information or some kind of loop hole where they would still have to hire me... so pissed..However good luck to those that made it.

2 minutes ago, Moluv12345 said:

Did exam #8094 expire.... I was placed on medical hold and when I cleared i was told sorry classes are full.  Just hoping someone can give me some information or some kind of loop hole where they would still have to hire me... so pissed..However good luck to those that made it.

Why could you be put on medical hold for is there list of reasons?

41 minutes ago, Moluv12345 said:

They said my heart is beautiful....lol...however beautiful is not getting the job..I finally stopped crying at 55 i was so happy to get this opportunity now nothing.

And theres no way you could potentially squeeze into another exam number. Because I know they do that with the NYPD

6 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

My official number is 1030, I am very excited and do believe that if they continue going at the rate they were with 8094 my number can come up quick!

That's good because out of 30000 people you and I scored good along with everyone else who got a low list number 

On 7/11/2015 at 11:05 PM, whatisacup said:

So I've spent many hours today searching for an answer, so I thought I would ask.

I plan on signing up and possibly taking both exams coming up (Fall and Winter signup). I won't get into specifics, but I want to do everything I can to score very well.

I was at a bookstore the other day and decided to pick up a general Civil Service study guide. I opened it up and took some practice exams, they were not easy. My math skills are strong, however, I wouldn't consider myself a grammar expert. I didn't score all that well on the grammar usage section. 

I had my wife, who is a Harvard Law Grad and is currently a contract attorney, take a look. She didn't score as bad as me, but she did get some wrong and mentioned the tests were very difficult. A sample question that I found quite hard is :

Select the sentence that represents the best example of English grammar:

A .In Europe, scientists have found that the drastic changes in weather is in direct correlation to the increase in car use.

B .The Magic Castle in Hollywood have been declared a historic landmark by the City of Los Angeles.

C .There is a water shortage therefore waiters should only serve water to patrons on request instead of bringing water glasses to everyone at every table.

D. After years of serving the community, the local library will be shut down due to lack of funds.

I also found some spelling sections difficult as well.

Before I go overboard and spend time studying material that isn't relevant to the exams, I want to ask what should I expect on these tests? I've read those Passbooks are a waste of money, and a good resource for the Bus Operator test is a DMV study guide. 

Do the type of questions I mentioned above exist on the test? Also, do they have spelling/grammar sections? What kind of math questions (multiplying fractions?). What kind of questions and topics should I look into? I've read that the exam is very easy and is basic math and trip situation questions. Can anyone confirm this?

If I'm going to give these exams a shot, I want to do everything humanly possible to do well.

Thanks!

I think those books are a total waste. Do you know what street the big Macy's is on? I find if you travel by train alot you will know the main landmark areas. Learn how to read the train maps. If you are good with reading comprehension you should do good. Please don't go overboard studing you might hit yourself upside your head because what you study will not be on the test. 

It would seem 95 and better is the mark. I got a 93 and my list # is 10,xxx which is bananas but hey. That’s why you never put all your eggs in one basket. Good luck to all of those before and after keep faith alive you never know! 

Edited by DrewMania
Added more.

3 hours ago, DrewMania said:

It would seem 95 and better is the mark. I got a 93 and my list # is 10,xxx which is bananas but hey. That’s why you never put all your eggs in one basket. Good luck to all of those before and after keep faith alive you never know! 

I got 1,xxx and only scored 96.25 I wouldn't think a 3 point different would make your number jump more than 9,000 

9 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I got 1,xxx and only scored 96.25 I wouldn't think a 3 point different would make your number jump more than 9,000 

It means a lot. My list number is 9xx and I scored 97.5. Someone else scored the same as me and their list number is 4xx. The tie breaker is your social. 

Edited by Rahmel

5 hours ago, ren said:

If you landed in the 9,500 range on this list, do you have any chance of getting called?

I'm being as honest as possible you shouldn't count on it. Historically they usually called the first 3k people before a new list replaced the old one. What happened with 8094 was an anomaly and with that it still took them about 8 years to get to people in that range after  multiple extensions. 

I'm not saying that it absolutely cannot happen, but if i were you I'd take the next exam when it's offered.

28 minutes ago, Rahmel said:

It means a lot. My list number is 9xx and I scored 97.5. Someone else scored the same as me and their list number is 4xx. The tie breaker is your social. 

I honestly only thought that the score you got only mattered I never knew that your SSN was a tie breaker when it came to your official list number