Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

5 hours ago, Mspunkybrewster said:

It may have been pass or fail but how can a official list be created without EVERYONE taking it. What if i had 100 and failed the opa? Does that mean someone that got a 85 that didnt even take it has a better chance than me? I just feel opa isnt accounted for because EVERYONE didnt take it

On the NOE itself it says not everyone will take it because of the amount of applicants and projected vacancies available. Someone who scored 85% is likely in the 1x,xxx range anyway and most likely wouldn't be reached with or without the OPA.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mspunkybrewster said:

It may have been pass or fail but how can a official list be created without EVERYONE taking it. What if i had 100 and failed the opa? Does that mean someone that got a 85 that didnt even take it has a better chance than me? I just feel opa isnt accounted for because EVERYONE didnt take it

Why are they going to waste their time and the time of the person whose list number is 25xxx by making them pay $25 for an extra layer of testing for something they have no hope of being called for?

All it means if you took the OPA and bombed it enough to fail is they'll disqualify you and move on with the list.

3 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

The OPA is half memory half something else, its hard to gauge cause we are the first to take it, could be looking for speech efficiency,  could be looking for accuracy, who knows

Seemed to me that the first part is to weed out the people who are going to get directive from RCC and then have zero retention skills.

The 2nd part, since they  tape recorded your answers was probably a combination of common sense testing your reaction to situations and how clearly you can speak...because we all know there are conductors that have no business making announcements because they don't enunciate, etc.

3 hours ago, hmc12989 said:

Why are they going to waste their time and the time of the person whose list number is 25xxx by making them pay $25 for an extra layer of testing for something they have no hope of being called for?

All it means if you took the OPA and bombed it enough to fail is they'll disqualify you and move on with the list.

That makes sense. Honestly just all speculation for me. Is there anyone with a list number under 2000 that didnt take the opa?

51 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah me I'm in the 1400s

See thats what confuses me. Supposedly the top 2000 scores were issued the opa first.although i am within the top 2000 and did take the opa it doesn't seem like alot of us had to go thru the same things. Gimmie my lil $25 back. Doesnt seem like it made a diff if u got the opa or not. U cant disqualify someone who passed the test but failed the opa when theres someone out there wit the exact same test score that didnt even take it. 

4 minutes ago, Mspunkybrewster said:

See thats what confuses me. Supposedly the top 2000 scores were issued the opa first.although i am within the top 2000 and did take the opa it doesn't seem like alot of us had to go thru the same things. Gimmie my lil $25 back. Doesnt seem like it made a diff if u got the opa or not. U cant disqualify someone who passed the test but failed the opa when theres someone out there wit the exact same test score that didnt even take it. 

I emailed them earlier about our scores and they told me this: 

"Not everyone has been scheduled for the OPA.  It is an ongoing process. If the Employment Center reaches your list number and you have not yet been tested, you will be scheduled and tested at that time."

5 hours ago, Mspunkybrewster said:

Agreed.

I got 100 on the test in the first place. The OPA feels like a money grab. DLC content. -_-

On 2/22/2018 at 12:28 PM, noekozz said:

The fact that you took 2 different drug tests and they never called you back on either for the medical portion only tells me that you came back dirty.   No reason to be upset with the MTA over that if that’s the case.  I can’t think of any other reason they would do that to you. 

The list expired on a certain date. Perhaps the TA had enough candidates from the last and final pool of candidates to fill the open vacancies - thus declining to work with those who have not cleared pre-employment. Being called is different from being appointed, that is hired from a civil service list..

18 hours ago, Mspunkybrewster said:

Again, for the umpteenth time, the Oral Proficiency Assessment (OPA) is similar to the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) that bus operator candidates take after the initial written civil service (TA only) exam, which I speak from experience.  Direct from the MTA regarding "BOSS will not prevent you from receiving your official test results once the list is established." Since the OPA is new, this is the only component we can compare it to. 

So the likely answers to your questions are:

a) If you got 100 and failed the OPA - You likely won't be hired because you failed the OPA.

b) The person who scored an 85 and did not take the OPA will likely take the OPA at a future date, should they reach that list number.

c) Having everyone or 20,000+ eligibles  take the OPA is not realistic, especially if the lowest scorers, who realistically have zero chance of being hired have their time and money wasted by coming in.

@161 New York, thanks for the explanation.  

That's the clearest and most logical way to explain this process.

OPA is like the BOSS, or even more like the drug test - if you test dirty you'll be disqualified even if you answered every question correctly on the written open-competitive exam.

If they don't like your answers or speaking ability on the OPA then you'll be disqualified even if you answered every question correctly on the written open-competitive exam.

We do need to be patient, though it's difficult - much of this process is still out of our hands.

To help make the time seem to go by a little better I suggest you do some family events, take some vacations, and get any life objectives you've had outside of getting into the MTA out of the way. Cause if were in then I guarantee that those things will be scarce, maybe even nonexistent in some of our lives lol.

21 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

The OPA is half memory half something else, its hard to gauge cause we are the first to take it, could be looking for speech efficiency,  could be looking for accuracy, who knows

23 hours ago, TrueBlu said:

I have a question for all whom took the OPA...is English you guys first language? Do you speak English properly? I’m trying to understand Oral Proficiency Assessment.

Now I know this says OPI (same shit lol...

An Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) is a standardized, global assessment of functional speaking ability. Taking the form of a conversation between the tester and test-taker, the test measures how well a person speaks a language by assessing their performance of a range of language tasks against specified criteria.

This could be the key to OPA

Is English your first language? It most certainly is mine. 

However like LiRR medford mentioned. The first part was memory. The second part was understanding and interpreting of different scenarios. 

On 2/20/2018 at 11:39 AM, Rahmel said:

Not surprised at all. Mta bs all the time. It’s unfortunate that we have to wait 4-5 years to get hired.

Since there is a freeze alot of you may get a letter offering you a bus driver position before they call you for conductor. Of course if you take the position you forfeit the conductor position. Been this route twice with transit. However while you are waiting make sure you get your driver's license in order as far as points and tickets. At the pre-employment if anything shows up on your drivers abstract you will go no further until all tickets and judgments have been paid and yes this applies to the conductor position also. If they send you to the Dept. Of finance to pay your tickets you must come back with a paper receipt and a clearance letter. Donot try to pay your tickets through the DMV on-line the day of pre-employment that is not acceptable. From the time you left high school or was 18 to present they want to know your school and work history no gaps. If unemployed 6 months write the month/day/ year again no gaps.

On 2/20/2018 at 2:06 AM, ren said:

If you landed in the 9,500 range on this list, do you have any chance of getting called?

I got called on the last hiring list and list number was 9770

3 minutes ago, Moluv12345 said:

Since there is a freeze alot of you may get a letter offering you a bus driver position before they call you for conductor. Of course if you take the position you forfeit the conductor position. Been this route twice with transit. However while you are waiting make sure you get your driver's license in order as far as points and tickets. At the pre-employment if anything shows up on your drivers abstract you will go no further until all tickets and judgments have been paid and yes this applies to the conductor position also. If they send you to the Dept. Of finance to pay your tickets you must come back with a paper receipt and a clearance letter. Donot try to pay your tickets through the DMV on-line the day of pre-employment that is not acceptable. From the time you left high school or was 18 to present they want to know your school and work history no gaps. If unemployed 6 months write the month/day/ year again no gaps.

I got called on the last hiring list and list number was 9770

Please donot go there with copies of documents they want all originals!!!!! Repeat all originals or you will be going back home to bring the originals back. If you have tickets out of state take care of those tickets. You will not get away with this. Trust me!!!! Be prepared to sit for hours and I mean hours. Bring lunch..

On 2/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, TrueBlu said:

If I was dirty do you think I would of did a drug test and if I was dirty I would of received a disqualification letter...let us not be silly here smh n lmao #really

I took 2 drug test, the first one expired and the second one I was called in for a medical to start the rest of the process. They might not have gotten to your list number but had you on standby.. They are something else...hope you called them about that. If you failed the drug test you difinitely have to be notified 

2 hours ago, Moluv12345 said:

I took 2 drug test, the first one expired and the second one I was called in for a medical to start the rest of the process. They might not have gotten to your list number but had you on standby.. They are something else...hope you called them about that. If you failed the drug test you difinitely have to be notified 

Lol ikr and no I did not call because calling them is like calling yourself..I figured it wasn’t meant to be...it is just sad the way they waste people time. Oh well on to the next. We live and we learn. Regardless to what others in this forum have to say when dealing with MTA never get your hopes up until you are all the way through. So many different opinions and assumptions in this forum. Lol...For all that have high list numbers tuck this job out of your mind. In my opinion MTA should of known better than to allow all these applicants to even take this test in the first place. It’s the City and it’s is and always will be about money; now OPA for more money lmao too much...

After I cleared medical hold...all positions were full. I thought I was going to snap!!!! Lol....Sorry this is the last of this list number..Those early morning arrivals and sitting. 3 days I went down there...lol...hoping they squeeze in one more class. Thats the only reason why i'm following this forum..However life goes on...

On 2/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, TrueBlu said:

If I was dirty do you think I would of did a drug test and if I was dirty I would of received a disqualification letter...let us not be silly here smh n lmao #really

I just received my notice of results in the mail. I scored a 96.250 and listed in the low 1600s. What does this mean? I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Didn’t think they would ever release the scores. However, I’ve been ready to start the process since I took the damn test. Will they start calling from 6601 now?