Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

On 2/23/2018 at 8:48 PM, 161 New York said:

a) If you got 100 and failed the OPA - You likely won't be hired because you failed the OPA.

b) The person who scored an 85 and did not take the OPA will likely take the OPA at a future date, should they reach that list number.

c) Having everyone or 20,000+ eligibles  take the OPA is not realistic, especially if the lowest scorers, who realistically have zero chance of being hired have their time and money wasted by coming in.

Tbh, the likelihood of someone scoring 100 and failing the OPA has got to be super low. 

I know I aced the memorization part with flying colors, and likely the second part too since English and German are basically my first languages and both require you to have a really clear speaking voice. 

But I agree with c. Tbh, if the MTA had done c, they might have got a bunch of $$$

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jimmyvn, I have the same question.  I got 95, #50XX.

I know it could be quite a while but on the last list they got almost to 10,000 - not that they hired 10,000 conductors, but that they processed people up to almost 10,000 on the list.

Crazy how answering another question or two correctly puts you so far ahead on the list when this many people take the exam.

8 hours ago, RedViper90 said:

I just received my notice of results in the mail. I scored a 96.250 and listed in the low 1600s. What does this mean? I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Didn’t think they would ever release the scores. However, I’ve been ready to start the process since I took the damn test. Will they start calling from 6601 now?

Did you ever received the OPA in the mailbox?

12 hours ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@jimmyvn, I have the same question.  I got 95, #50XX.

I know it could be quite a while but on the last list they got almost to 10,000 - not that they hired 10,000 conductors, but that they processed people up to almost 10,000 on the list.

Crazy how answering another question or two correctly puts you so far ahead on the list when this many people take the exam.

How long was the last list used for?

Scored 96.25 but List # is low 2000s. I took the OPA already I guess I have something to be happy about:D.  Before I was pretty pissed that people with the same score are in the 1600s, but hearing you didn't take the OPA yet makes me feel like this process is unfair for everyone lol.

1 hour ago, boredmta said:

Scored 96.25 but List # is low 2000s. I took the OPA already I guess I have something to be happy about:D.  Before I was pretty pissed that people with the same score are in the 1600s, but hearing you didn't take the OPA yet makes me feel like this process is unfair for everyone lol.

Pretty much like the sanitation exam a few years back where 3,000 other people got the same score I did. Their is no fairness with these things.

54 minutes ago, RedViper90 said:

Pretty much like the sanitation exam a few years back where 3,000 other people got the same score I did. Their is no fairness with these things.

The tiebreaker is the 5th digit of your social. 

For me, my range was 7x - and low 100s. The 5th digit of my social is 0. I got a 7x list number and even scored about people with Veteran's Credits.

My relative for a 1xx (mid 100s), with a range of 140-500. The fifth digit of their social is also 0. A friend of mine got the same score as they did, but they had a 4xx list number b/c the 5th digit of their social was 7. 

A difference a number makes. Makes it fair b/c it is something out of your control.

ALRIGHT, im going to post this here.  Its a list of how many people requested from the selected exams for bus, conductor, and track worker. Not new Bus operator applications, not the new conductor, but the previous ones. 

This is a list, that is off the data nyc website. Its public, and its been compiled, I don't know who made it. I am not sure how accurate it is, but I think it is. It shows how many people are being requested for the hiring process in conductor, bus, and track worker.  Alot of these lists are made internally because alot of agencies get audited, audited in a way that they see where expenses are going, whos coming and whos leaving, etc etc, 

Once again, I don't know how accurate this is. 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Bus-Operator-Conductor-Track-Worker-Certifications/pjqi-8psc

16 minutes ago, Moody said:

ALRIGHT, im going to post this here.  Its a list of how many people requested from the selected exams for bus, conductor, and track worker. Not new Bus operator applications, not the new conductor, but the previous ones. 

This is a list, that is off the data nyc website. Its public, and its been compiled, I don't know who made it. I am not sure how accurate it is, but I think it is. It shows how many people are being requested for the hiring process in conductor, bus, and track worker.  Alot of these lists are made internally because alot of agencies get audited, audited in a way that they see where expenses are going, whos coming and whos leaving, etc etc, 

Once again, I don't know how accurate this is. 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Bus-Operator-Conductor-Track-Worker-Certifications/pjqi-8psc

Thanks so much for taking the time to research and providing us with the information.

7 minutes ago, CocoaMint29 said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to research and providing us with the information.

According to this data set, the last certification for Conductor exam #8094 occured on 10/24/2017. As mentioned in a previous thread, the possibility of MTA hiring 32k+ conductors is next to none. I hope all candidates were able to have 100% guarantee of being hired.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:54 AM, +Young+ said:

So I got my list number in the mail and I'm in the high 4700's, which is anywhere from 4,750 to 4,799.

For those who did not get their list number, there are two ways you can find out your list number:

a) Call DCAS @ 212-669-1357 (press 2, followed by your Social Security # and follow the prompts)

OR:

b) Click here and type your last name in the search box on the top right.

Good luck everyone!!

I'm 56**. In your estimation, how long do you think it'll take before we are called?

Edited by +Young+
Identity purposes...

@CocoaMint29, for most of us, most of the time, we're not promised a job interview or a job. We risked $85 (was it $65? it was more than $50, I remember that) and a half day of testing for a potential opportunity, not a guarantee of employment.

And per the MTA website NYC Transit only has 48,000 employees in total, which includes many trades and titles.  So, yes, most of those who passed this exam won't be hired.

The relevant questions include how many conductors will be processed for how many anticipated job openings, and at what pace?

It doesn't look like Transit will begin hiring from this list until at least two years after the test was offered, so does that mean the list will be active for at least 4 years from the exam date, or from when the list is established?

I'm hoping to get called but not relying on it.  I scored decently (95, 50xx) but not as high as I had wanted to.  We'll see what happens.

2 minutes ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@CocoaMint29, for most of us, most of the time, we're not promised a job interview or a job. We risked $85 (was it $65? it was more than $50, I remember that) and a half day of testing for a potential opportunity, not a guarantee of employment.

And per the MTA website NYC Transit only has 48,000 employees in total, which includes many trades and titles.  So, yes, most of those who passed this exam won't be hired.

The relevant questions include how many conductors will be processed for how many anticipated job openings, and at what pace?

It doesn't look like Transit will begin hiring from this list until at least two years after the test was offered, so does that mean the list will be active for at least 4 years from the exam date, or from when the list is established?

I'm hoping to get called but not relying on it.  I scored decently (95, 50xx) but not as high as I had wanted to.  We'll see what happens.

4 years from when list was established (2/14/18-2/14/22) according to DCAS.

Theres another list, I didn't post. Its a list of people fired from all kinds of city jobs. Its only updated to a certain point. Eventually it will be updated to have the resent exam lists that past already. It will show people who were fired from the job or bypassed, or didn't make it BUT where called IN and didn't make it. 

The scariest one I saw was Train operator 8098. For example it has people in order on the list from their exam list, I counted at one point about 30 people. Of the 30 people, only 1 still has a job, or made it, and is currently working there. Because payroll is public knowledge. So I saw just 1 person out of 30 still current.  The rest where on the payroll, or moved on or fired or just no there anymore.  And its like this ALOT especially on this 8098 list.  In a few weeks maybe months, will see the others. And then you can see how many people just don't make it. 

Theres also an appeals list. The appeal list for people who were fired or laid off for whatever reason.  It doesn't have the names of the employees who are appealing. But it has the reason for the dismissing that employee. Alot of it has to do with late or call outs (timingness)  Some of the dismissals  have to do with Education and back ground. And it says the title of the employee, train operator, bus, or conductor not the name. 

1 hour ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

I certainly agree on how many vacancies will become available over an 4 year period and whether exam #6601 can be extended prior to the 4 year cut off. MTA under estimated how many applicants were going to file for this exam. If 32k+ passed the exam, when you equate the total from a financial aspect MTA profited $1,920,000+ not totaling applicants who failed the exam. Although higher list numbers may not have the opportunity to become potential candidates. At what point do you conduct an analysis to compare whether the number of applicants supercede vacancies that will become available.

@N1CKR, thanks for the link.

That was a great article - for those who haven't read it, it discusses operational mistakes made by train operators and suggests it was a mistake for Transit to allow people to start as train operators (open/competitive).  Not directly applicable to conductors, though.