Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, please let us know how it went.

I'm taking the test on the morning of 4/23.

Based on my prior experience with NYC Transit exams, I'd suggest traveling very lightly - try not to bring any bags (backpacks, duffels, even big purses) with you. There's nowhere to check your bags and it's going to be very crowded. They may not be willing to let you put bags under your seat or in the back of the room - it depends on how crowded it gets and how strict they're feeling.

Definitely turn off your cell phone (don't just flip switch to silent) and put it away, probably in your jacket, before you get in the building. Bring lots of pencils and don't forget the calculator, which should be a super-simple, cheap, $5-10 kind.

Thank you for the information. WOW 5 years is a long time,and that's s great score. I thought it was more like 2 years or something.

I took the old test back in December 2008, I didn't get called until April 2012. That was with just one answer wrong and a 98.66 score and a 3 digit list number.

@Y2Julio, last exam was an exception to the norm, I think, because there was a hiring freeze for several years when the list didn't move, due to the city/state's economic problems.

The economy is much stronger now and a budget deal was just reached with the state that gave MTA most of what it wanted.

This list should move a lot faster. How fast, we shall see.

Took the test today. I was at the FDR HS site in BK. Definitely not what I expected based on the feedback that I was getting from here. TBH they say bring a calculator but there weren't any math problems to answer. In the end I had no use for it since I didn't touch it at all. No landmark questions either, I think they changed the test this year. 80 questions and 3 hours to finish. A lot of reading comprehension and what would you do questions. They definitely want to know how well you follow directions and protocol. Overall I think I did pretty well.

Don't bring a large bag or bookbag, honestly you don't even need a watch as most classrooms have a clock in them and you hear the buzzer anyway to let you know when to begin and when it ends. Bring a calculator if you wish but you probably won't end up using it anyway.

Don't be afraid to use up all the time given as some questions are a little tricky so pay attention to details.

Good luck to all you guys.

Took the exam today at James Madison High School, and I agree with neokozz. No math questions at all. The types of questions had a lot to do with reading comprhension. For example they'll give you a train schedule and you got to pull information out of it.( eg. If you're at Paper Street and a costumer at 2:33pm asks you what time does the next train come what is the correct response.)

Another type of question is the map. It'll show tracks that are labled with stations and there is a compass displayed. The questions would be for exmple, ''if your train on track 1 is heading west then what is the next station?''

Really easy stuff to be honest. I think anyone can pass it with a high score.

Took the exam today at James Madison High School, and I agree with neokozz. No math questions at all. The types of questions had a lot to do with reading comprhension. For example they'll give you a train schedule and you got to pull information out of it.( eg. If you're at Paper Street and a costumer at 2:33pm asks you what time does the next train come what is the correct response.)

Another type of question is the map. It'll show tracks that are labled with stations and there is a compass displayed. The questions would be for exmple, ''if your train on track 1 is heading west then what is the next station?''

Which is why everyone kept saying don't waste time getting those study guides. They're useless and unneeded.

Took the test today. I was at the FDR HS site in BK. Definitely not what I expected based on the feedback that I was getting from here. TBH they say bring a calculator but there weren't any math problems to answer. In the end I had no use for it since I didn't touch it at all. No landmark questions either, I think they changed the test this year. 80 questions and 3 hours to finish. A lot of reading comprehension and what would you do questions. They definitely want to know how well you follow directions and protocol. Overall I think I did pretty well.

Don't bring a large bag or bookbag, honestly you don't even need a watch as most classrooms have a clock in them and you hear the buzzer anyway to let you know when to begin and when it ends. Bring a calculator if you wish but you probably won't end up using it anyway.

Don't be afraid to use up all the time given as some questions are a little tricky so pay attention to details.

Good luck to all you guys.

Glad to see you guys did well. I wish you all good luck on your scores. I'm still scheduled to take mine on the 24th. Wish I would've gotten an earlier date like you guys but hey, I'll get it anyway. I just hope the wait after the exam won't be like Sanitation. I scored a 100.14 on that one....they told me to forget about it; not high enough.

Reminds me of the Track Worker exam I took...unfortunately, due to two incorrect answers, I got a 95% and not a 100%...damn!

Glad to see you guys did well. I wish you all good luck on your scores. I'm still scheduled to take mine on the 24th. Wish I would've gotten an earlier date like you guys but hey, I'll get it anyway. I just hope the wait after the exam won't be like Sanitation. I scored a 100.14 on that one....they told me to forget about it; not high enough.

Hold on you, scored "100.14" isn't that the most you can get? So why weren't you able to get through?

Ha! You'd be surprised. Believe it or not, a huge number of people will FAIL.

But the goal for anyone serious about getting hired isn't just to pass, but to pass with an extremely high score - 95 or better, if not 100.

Hold on you, scored "100.14" isn't that the most you can get? So why weren't you able to get through?

Sanitation (as well as FDNY) gives "city residency credit" on the exam. So in essence, the highest score is 105, not 100, and lots of people can achieve it because most of the people taking exams for city jobs will be city residents.

Transit tests give veterans and legacy credit, but the people who have those are fewer, so getting a couple questions wrong isn't as big of a deal on that test, but you should still try for 100. But on a transit test for T/O or C/R, scoring 100 or better and not getting called is unheard of. Normally once hiring opens up from that list, those scores will get you in during the first year.

I was supposed to take the test yesterday but I missed it. I thought it was next week but it was yesterday. Is there any way I can reschedule?

Have you tried calling them, and maybe they can let you take it one of the other days. I know there's one next weekend, and I'm scheduled for the 30th. So there could be a chance they allow you to take it those days.

When I took the MTA bus test, they allowed that from a few people that were there.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Have you tried calling them, and maybe they can let you take it one of the other days. I know there's one next weekend, and I'm scheduled for the 30th. So there could be a chance they allow you to take it those days.

When I took the MTA bus test, they allowed that from a few people that were there.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

no there isn't,according to the mta website

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/6601.htm

the next test is on Saturday the 23

Youre not lying i got 103 on that sanitation test my list number was in the 4000's lol. Almost 100k people took that test

Wow.  Were there any hard questions?

A word to the wise, and I'm sure you're just asking a general question here, so this is not directed at you specifically, but rather to everyone.

Please do not discuss test questions here. Other people have yet to take the test. While there will be different questions on different tests, some may be the same or similar, and you do not want to be able to be accused of (key phrase) cheating, helping others, or having prior knowledge of the questions because of comments made in a public forum. You also do not want your co-test-takers to be able to be accused of same, because of something you inadvertently posted.

Took the test on Sunday at Midwood. Much like everyone has said, its mostly reading comprehension and fact checking. I would say, if you finished the test at a reasonable time, take the extra time to review your answers.

Good luck to all the forum members that are taking the test.

Took the exam last Sunday at FDR high school..Fairly easy exam but alittle tedious...Question for current conductors..Do shifts begin at a train yard? for example if I was working the 7 train, would I begin work at Main Street station or would I report to work at the train yard in flushing meadows park..I am curious because if I. Working the 4am shift, I want to be able to drive to the yard, park my car and begin work..I hope I wouldn't be taking a train at 3am to work if I have to report at Main Street since I wouldn't be able to park anywhere on Main Street..How does it work? Sorry if I sound misinformed because I have no clue..I'm a former airline pilot trying to become an MTA conductor..Thanks